What’s in your Inner Library?

Upper Library, Christ Church College, Oxford (Photo credit: Loren Kerns)

Upper Library, Christ Church College, Oxford (Photo credit: Loren Kerns)

Taking seriously the advice of our lead mentor, Dr. Jason Clark, I read a vast number of reviews about Bayard’s How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read, before reading the book itself. If the reviewers are to be believed, Bayard’s book is either pure satire, a serious treatise on discussing a book without reading, an offering of practical ways to NOT read a book delivered with wry humor, or a mockery of the literati. The truth is, I think the reviewers are all a little bit right.

Bayard, an author, literature professor, and psychoanalyst, has coyly taught us all how to discuss books without reading them, while encouraging us to love reading with tantalizing excerpts from the works he uses as examples. He offers us the freedom to skim (15), draw on the thoughts of others who have actually read the books (18), use our “inner libraries” to inform our thoughts and opinions (73), to boldly admit we have not read a book while still offering an opinion (137), and to freely impose our own judgment regarding a book upon others (149).

It was Bayard’s description of the anthropologist who tried to share Hamlet with the Tiv tribe of western Africa that got me to thinking that perhaps some Christians have read Bayard’s book and are applying the principles on a regular basis when discussing the Bible. I think it’s fair to say that many Christians, at one time or another, have indulged in the freedoms I mentioned above when discussing the Bible. A quick look at Facebook is enough to give evidence that at least a few (okay, MANY) Christians feel free to impose our own judgment about what the Bible actually says, oftentimes without actually reading more than one proof texting verse. Harsh? Maybe so, but I still contend that many of us (I certainly include myself in this) have taken the approach of an anthropologist who tries to make a story (in our case, the gospel) relevant to a group of people without first learning how that people’s inner book or inner community library will hear and receive the story. When it gets frustrating, like the anthropologist, we get snappish with the people who “don’t get it” and say something like, “Their hearts were hardened like Pharaoh’s.” What does that even mean? Of course, if we follow Bayard’s instruction and speak with utter confidence, we can actually convince others we KNOW what that means.

This may sound like I’m taking a swipe at Bayard and his book, which is not at all the case. I found the book to be quite helpful and insightful, especially when discussing the way in which we use our inner book and inner libraries to help us more fully understand a work that we simply do not have the time to read deeply. While reading this book, for example, I thought about, How to Read a Book, which our cohort read a few weeks ago. Many of the thoughts shared by Adler and Van Doren in that book align beautifully with Bayard’s witty examples. I found myself wishing Bayard, Adler, and Van Doren could get together and write a book called, How to Read a Book and Talk About Those You Haven’t Read. Bayard’s love of literature and clever wit would bring a certain joie de’ vive to the plodding, but useful methods of Adler and Van Doren. It would be the best of both worlds.

Kristin Hamilton

12 responses to “What’s in your Inner Library?”

1. Kristen, I definitely appreciated Bayard’s wit as well – and I actually found myself reading more of this book than I ‘needed’ to because I found the stories he told about stories in literature pretty engaging……
    I also loved the discussion about authority that you reference, and I thought serious/satire or somewhere in between, that it was accurate. In fact, it reminded me of the advice I always give scripture readers for worship when they have to read the name of a person or a place that is difficult or that they are unfamiliar with: It doesn’t matter how you pronounce it – just say it with confidence and everyone will believe that is how it’s pronounced, even if you are wrong or they know better.

2. Kristin I agree how troubling it is that we as Christians are much like the anthropologist he described in his book. Unfortunately it is the idea that we poses the superior knowledge and understanding than those we choose to reach. It is with that arrogance that we fall short many times of getting our intended message across because we neglected to fully understand their inner library first. Not so that we can tailor our superiority but so that we can be present in their space and allow it to speak to us first.

• I often wonder, Christal, what it would be like if we entered not just other countries but every encounter with our neighbors with enough humility to learn their “inner library” before trying to communicate anything about the gospel. This goes completely against the evangelism methods of the 70s and 80s, but reading Bayard’s commentary of the anthropologist really struck me about the way we assume with, as you say, arrogance that we can “make” people understand without really knowing them.

• Katy Lines says:

Such a good insight, Kristin. When we moved to Kenya, we spent an entire year learning the language and culture of the people we lived with, before we ever began teaching or leading. When I begin a new job or join a new church or move to a new context, I always think of the first few weeks/months as “language learning time”; that is, what makes this place unique; what are its rhythms, history, stories? Only then can I be in a position to respond and influence. And shutting up to listen and learn takes humility (and embarrassment when “boldly” mispronouncing those new words).

Kristin, your reflections are insightful. There are many levels on which to read the book. I chose to read it seriously because Jason assigned it! The sheer breadth of Bayard’s examples was in itself an invitation to enjoy many kinds of books. Of course the main point is not lost. We will be overwhelmed if we don’t learn how to give each book only the amount of attention it deserves.

Kristin, “The truth is, I think the reviewers are all a little bit right.” I agree. I enjoyed the book from a humorous point of view, and some of the practical items are helpful—we can’t possibly read every word of every book necessary for this study. But that’s not the problem for me. The underlying philosophical relativism is problematic for me. I agree too about people misquoting and missapply the Bible. It’s never a good thing.

5. Kristin- I loved your comments about Christians imposing their judgments on others based on their limited experience and their personal context. They fail to take in the whole picture, cross-reference, use their head and heart to interpret scripture, and remember that love is truly the greatest of all and must come forward when presenting the gospel. How can we love if we are spending so much time imposing our opinions and our gospel on them? As Mother Theresa has said, “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” I think we can speak with “utter confidence” and still be loving in how we present our message. That would be a refreshing response from Christians. Excellent point and enjoyable post!
    PS I liked your picture of Mary in the library! 🙂

• “I think we can speak with “utter confidence” and still be loving in how we present our message.” Yes, Yes, Yes! Even more importantly, it’s crucial that we establish a relationship of love and understanding before presuming to give any kind of message.

My gosh Kristin, I can’t handle a book written by all of them. It first would be a discussion on who will be first listed. Then the book would be volumes.
    I would like them to do a booklet with no more than eight pages to state their points. HaHa

7. TRMEDYA says:

I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
    instagram takipçi satın al