What Good is IQ without CQ & EQ?

#WhatsOrb, Global Sustainability Exchange

With the ability to interface with cultures worldwide through travel and technology, and relating to various cultures in our communities, the development of CQ is essential if we are to create healthy relationships and communities. Cultural intelligence, as defined by Livermore as: “the capacity to function effectively across national, ethnic, and organizational cultures” (24), is essential to the success of a leader, whether traveling abroad or living in communities with cultural diversity. Intelligence appears insufficient if one cannot communicate their ideas in a clear and respectful manner.  Emotional intelligence, or EQ, where one can relate, empathize and perceive/express emotion complements CQ beautifully. Perhaps the formula could be described as: CQ + EQ = Enhanced IQ. We grow smarter, achieve success, and accomplish goals when we can learn how to develop our CQ and EQ.

Although Livermore would argue that “cultural intelligence picks up where emotional intelligence leaves off” (32), I see them more as a symbiotic relationship where they feed off each other. Without one, the other is a bit muted and dimmed, as each intelligence has increased power when combined with the other. An analogy that embodies this is the bee and the flower. Without the flower, the bee can buzz around and look cute, but it is unable to productively gather pollen to make the sweet coveted superfood, honey. Our productivity and success with relationships depends on our ability to connect with others culturally and emotionally so we can develop healthy communities.

When I traveled to Thailand, I was grateful for my friend and colleague, Stu, and his careful instruction on customary Thai culture. He warned me about the importance of not patting a Thai person on the head, as it is very offensive, and compared it to our culture in the same manner if we were to pat someone on the bottom. I experienced this first hand when my mission team was traveling in a van, and my friend reached forward and affectionately patted our Thai guide on the head. Unaware of the offense she created as her intention was loving, my EQ kicked in when I saw our Thai guide smooth her hair and give an offended look. Since my friend couldn’t see her face, she was unable to read her emotions, so EQ and CQ were equally absent. I informed my friend of the Thai culture and the offense this created, and in healthy EQ fashion, she quickly apologized. What was meant as a loving gesture became an offensive action, and in that brief exchange, I became dramatically aware of the need for developed EQ and CQ to have respectful relationships.

Similarly, I am reminded of the valuable culture of family and marriages. Livermore echoes this with: “Of all the cultural systems, the family system is widely regarded as the single most important system to understand, but this information often feels irrelevant to many organizational leaders”(77).  In the town I reside in, Richland, WA, we are known for being a city with one of the highest PH.D’s per capita in the US, because of the nuclear program and national labs that founded our community and the engineers required to build it. Consequently, there are many male engineers and scientists with a high IQ but who have a challenged or undeveloped EQ, and an equally challenged CQ for the culture of their marriage or family life. In working with these brilliant males, I enjoy utilizing their exceptionally high IQ to build their EQ and CQ needed to develop healthy marriages and familial relationships.

In their education process, I wonder how much easier their lives would have been if our educational leaders valued an education process that included EQ and CQ development? What if EQ and CQ curriculum could be taught in schools and universities to compliment the education process, as academic and relationship knowledge are obtained simultaneously? This could make the lifelong relationship journey easier for those needing more assistance in these areas of intelligence. Livermore says it best: “Cultural intelligence is a learned capability that builds on the other forms of intelligence needed by today’s leaders” (38). To be respected, effective leaders, it is apparent that CQ coupled with EQ can be learned and makes a nice formula for leadership success.

Jennifer Dean-Hill

12 responses to “What Good is IQ without CQ & EQ?”

1. Geoff Lee says:

CQ…EQ…IQ… it’s a good job there are good therapists out there like you Jennifer! Do you do global consultations – we could resume our discussions of the differences between the Americans and the Brits and I could help you understand your supervisor! Your point about helping super brainy people develop emotional and cultural intelligence is a really interesting one…. and I am sure very vital.

• Jennifer Dean-Hill says:

Yes, I could use your help several times understanding my supervisor. I just hope I’m not being too bossy. Perhaps just a little is ok?

2. Mary says:

“CQ + EQ = Enhanced IQ. We grow smarter, achieve success, and accomplish goals when we can learn how to develop our CQ and EQ.” Jen, as usual you add so much to our reading and your story illustrates so well the importance of being respectful of people’s feelings.
    And it actually fits in really well with one of Livermore’s purposes for writing the book – to learn to be respectful of others. As you say, we should be respectful in every way.
    Love your post!!!!!!!

3. Stu Cocanougher says:

That is a great post. You deserve a pat on the head.

4. Stu Cocanougher says:

As stewards of the gospel, Cultural Intelligence is connected to spirituality and evangelism.

For example, there is a reason that Thai people do not touch anyone’s head. It is the same reason that Thai food is so strong (hot, sour, sweet, but never bland).

The Theravada Buddhist worldview believes that your head is sacred. Since you eat with your head, food must be clean, flavorful, and presented properly. Thai men and women, even those in deep poverty, will pay close attention to their hair, face, and teeth.

Understanding this is important to those who want to share the gospel. If you want to have a spiritual conversation with a Thai person, the “bed head” look will be a barrier. They think, “clearly this person knows nothing about spiritual things.”

• Jennifer Dean-Hill says:

This is fascinating! I wish I could have chatted with you and had this info before I went. It would have made more sense. Also, I would have been more conscious of my hairdo’s.

5. Lynda Gittens says:

Jennifer,
    I expected a more insight on CQ since your gift is dealing with the intelligence of others. smile
    I was not disappointed. Thank you for sharing our experience in Thailand.
    I really don’t understand why someone would want to rub the head of an adult! It just as offensive to rub a man’s bald head for luck. hmm

6. Kristin Hamilton says:

Thank you for highlighting the importance of combining EQ and CQ, Jen. We took the EQi as part of our MDiv program and it helped me look frankly at the areas where I needed to grow. My experience with the EQi helped me look at this CQ information through that lens – where do I need to grow? I disagreed with Livermore that CQ takes up where EQ leaves off. Like you, I think they must be symbiotic in nature. Thanks for your insight!

7. Jennifer,
    Great post….. I share your desire for a different – broader curriculum to be taught in schools that would equip our young people (and us!) with a fuller array of tools with which to navigate the world.
    I read an article recently in the NY Times that pondered what the difference would be if sociologists had the same influence on national policy as economists do (it was based on the history of the national economic council that was formed about 25 years ago, and the original intent of having a companion ‘national social council’…….I see a lot of similarities here…..
    The economic – like math or science or grammar, etc. is fairly easy to measure and grapple with….. the sociological – like the EQ and CQ is much harder to measure in the abstract and, as such it is sometimes harder to accurately understand or quantify it’s value – and/or measure progress.

So, instead these vital aspects of life are underappreciated, under taught and often ignored – all to our detriment.

8. Jim Sabella says:

Great post Jennifer! You make an important point when you state that EQ and CQ are “essential to the success of a leader, whether traveling abroad or living in communities with cultural diversity.” It’s easy for leaders to underestimate the power of culture and the diversity among the people they lead. Leaders can often expect everyone to change according to “their” leadership style, but in my opinion, a good leader is able to adjust styles according to context. It’s tough to do. But when done well and with a “clear and respectful manner,” it is leadership at its highest level. Enjoyed your post!