What Can We Steal From Each Other?

Liz H.  Just seeing her name on my screen floods my mind with the “Things nobody told [me]  about being creative.”  In 2014, I received a phone call from my publisher announcing with joy how she secured Liz H. as my editor for my next book. Wanting to share in her excitement, I quickly chimed in, “Wonderful!” how’d you get her?” When I hung up the phone, I gulped and took a deep breath.  I had heard rumors about Liz H. in my writing circles: she was the best of the best in the editorial world, yet she was also the hardest of them all.  From our first call until our last, Liz and I did not share a feel good relationship. Don’t misunderstand, Liz H is a fabulous human being; she served as a “Crafty Essential” (throwback to Eve Poole’s chapter 5), in my work as she brought out the best in me.  Liz H. never asked where my ideas came from and she did not give me time to feel inspired. And she let me know all the well-known authors of whom she lifted out of obscurity, including Max Lucado. Every day for five months, Liz H. would send me a section of a chapter with her edits and then two hours later she would call me so we could review one line at a time. Then, I would write for the afternoon with a final phone call with her. She pushed me so hard during one particular chapter that I lost an entire night’s sleep, absolutely convinced I could not write a story the way she envisioned. About two months in, I called an editor friend who worked with Liz H. before and said, “Is this normal?” My friend shared with me that although many authors have chosen to not have Liz H. edit for them, she truly was a master editor who produced amazing work.  That phone call was the turning point in my relationship with Liz H. I decided to receive her as a master writing teacher and editor rather than my enemy. In fact, by submitting my grid-locked, imaginative work to Liz H.’s capable pen, my creativity was tested and my leadership refined under her influence.

Why are we so resistant?

What happened to me during those five months is very similar to what Austin Kleon writes about in his inspiring guide to creativity in the digital age, Steal Like an Artist. Where he offers 10 things “nobody told you about being creative,” I would argue what he was ultimately saying is what Eve Poole points out when she was encouraging her readers to step it up: “Learning under pressure shows you how you react to stress and uncertainty. This helps you to face it more confidently and to see it not so much as the absence of certainty, but as an opportunity for leadership”[1]  Kleon’s tips inspire us how to manage the pressure and stress of becoming the great artists of which we dream.  How does he manage to put us at ease?

Theft and Practical Tips for the Creative Life

I often put too much pressure on myself to come up with something original.  Have you ever asked yourself where you get your ideas?  What sparks your idea for a sermon? Or a poem?  A new way to hold a meeting?  I’d love to think that my ideas are original but the point Kleon makes about, “All creative work being built on what came before,”[2] might be the secret to less stress on ourselves.  What if next week or during Spring break, we take two hours and read all the blogs from the previous three years’ of doctoral students?  Might that free us from the burden of trying to be completely original, allowing the students who went before to influence us?  Dr. Clark also encouraged us to read the cohort’s blogs during one of our online chats.  

When you think about it, our next larger assignment for our NPO could be likened to a “swipe file”.  We are keeping track of all the research, quotes, content, books and ideas others had about the context of our NPO.  Even one of our first books, How to Take Smart Notes,[3] is based upon an idea of a German man from the 1960s named Niklas Luhmann.  Sonke Ahrens wrote an entire book based on someone else’s idea.  

Practical Tips

Anne Lamott in her famous book, Bird by Bird, tells the story of her little brother, a 10-year-old at the time, who had to write a report on birds assigned three months earlier.  At the kitchen table, he was surrounded by unopened books about birds. The report was due the next day.  Their father sat down at the table, put his arm around her little brother, who was in tears, and said, “bird by bird, buddy.  Bird by bird.”[4]  What makes this scene so powerful is that both Anne and her father are prolific writers who have influenced thousands, maybe millions of readers.  

What Steal Like An Artist and our journey together are saying to me is this: Let’s find even more ways to share our ideas and add to Kleon’s 10 things nobody told you about being creative.

I’ll start.  Here’s one more:

11. I already keep a Logbook or a journal where I write everything down but I also journal my feelings, impressions, insights, and ideas.  I will go as far as recording (in writing) deep conversations with colleagues and friends. Then, months or weeks later, I may take an idea from what we talked about and use it.

12. ?

Haven’t we already spent our earlier years practicing the proverbial scales on the piano? Learning our crafts from masters? Experiencing the pressure to perform?  Perhaps there’s another way.  How might we reduce the pressure to birth original ideas? By sharing how we are managing our creative lives, I am confident we will become better leaders.  

[1] Poole, Eve. Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. London ; New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, 2017.

[2] Kleon, Austin. Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative. 1st edition. New York: Workman Publishing Company, 2012.

[3] Ahrens, Sönke. How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking. 2nd ed. edition. Hamburg, Germany: Sönke Ahrens, 2022.

[4] Lamott, Anne. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. 1st edition. Anchor, 2007.

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

3 responses to “What Can We Steal From Each Other?”

1. Jennifer Vernam says:

Well written, Pam! (are you glad you didn’t have to have Liz read it first?)

You asked “why do we resist?” and before I read you answer, I had created my own: I think I resist because I don’t always want someone else telling how to do stuff. Just like that little kid who tells their parent that they don’t need any help, they’re “big enough” to do a task for which they are clearly unprepared. I think that I want to forge my own path, because I think I know better. For me, sometimes, it can be a matter of ego. Am I the only one?

2. Adam Harris says:

Enjoyed this Pam! What a great example of how pressure and being pushed makes us better (not always fun during the process though). That’s awesome that you were able to have that experience with Liz H.

Speaking of stealing from one another. I think I have some good systems and methods for my research and storing information, but what are you finding that works for you?

3. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Ms. Pam, thank you for adding to the list so we can see and learn from as well. I like the idea that learning or acquiring information from others and build upon it, is a pathway of learning. It is almost sounds like crossing a “threshold.” Thank you!