Visual Ethnology and Perspective

Doing Visual Ethnography by Sara Pink is a window into the world of visual ethnographers.  This field of study seems to be a combination of the fields of anthropology, sociology, journalism, and the visual arts.   Reading this book caused me to search the internet to look at some works of visual ethnographers cited in this book.  I discovered that some considered themselves artists, while others claimed to be social scientists.  I was intrigued by this.

This work covers a wide array of issues.  Of these, I especially enjoyed the discussion on perspective.

In addressing the inability to be truly objective, Pink states…

“elements of our identities such as gender, age, ethnicity, class and race are important to how researchers are situated and situate themselves in ethnographic contexts.”  (Pink Page 37)

Yet, I am more interested in the meaning that the viewer of visual ethnography places upon a work.

For example, I was impressed with Pink’s ethnographic study of the woman bullfighter in Spain (beginning on page 54).   The highlight of this discussion began on page 76 as the author discussed a photograph of a bull tossing female bull fighter Cristina Sanchez into the air.  When this photo was shown to individuals who are against women bullfighting, comments were made that this photo demonstrated that women were not equipped for this sport.  When the same photograph was shown to those who strongly opposed bullfighting, the reaction was to cheer for the bull in hopes that it would prevail.   The same photograph produced a wide array of interpretations.

This brought to mind a photograph that I took in a remote village in Laos last year.

2015

Photo by Stu Cocanougher, 2015

This is a photo of a woman and her grandchild.  It was one of those photos that just happened.  The scorching sun behind her umbrella created an orange glow.  It was a rare occasion that both subjects naturally turned their eyes to my camera.  This is the uncropped, unedited photograph.

I have shown this photo to many people and I am amazed at the wide variety of reactions.

Some are drawn to the woman and say “what a beautiful woman.”  Others look at her and say “I bet she has had a tough life.”  This reaction is more common with the knowledge that she lived in Laos during the Vietnam War, when Laos saw significant death and destruction.

I have had some people focus their attention on the child.  They have commented “what a beautiful boy” and “what kind of future will he have?”

Finally, there are others that are drawn to the aesthetics of the photograph.  They compliment me as to the framing of the photo or the vibrant light.  They never mention the people in it.

That made me think about visuals that we encounter in everyday life: Instagram photos, promotional flyers, YouTube video diaries, even photos used on the evening news.  There is no getting away from the subjective nature of graphics.

This is where the social sciences and fine art meet.   In essence, these photos became a sort of Rorschach painting in the eyes of the viewers.

Have you ever had the experience of viewing a film or a photograph with another person, and having a radically different interpretation of the meaning of the work?

Do you view photos of friends on Facebook or Instagram?  What conclusions have you made about these friends based solely on the photos that they post?

How can the church utilize photography and video in order to communicate spiritual matters that are difficult to put into words?

Sarah Pink, Doing Visual Ethnography, (New York: Sage Publications, 2014).

Stu Cocanougher

9 responses to “Visual Ethnology and Perspective”

1. Mary Walker says:

Stu, I really appreciate your insights and stories. Sarah Pink said that there is no end to the creativity in visual ethnography.
    You said, “This is where the social sciences and fine art meet. In essence, these photos became a sort of Rorschach painting in the eyes of the viewers.” I think you’ve captured the spirit!

2. Lynda Gittens says:

Hey Stu,

Reading your post helped me to appreciate the book just a little more. smile
    I love the picture. You pointed out as Pink pointed out, that people can have a different take on a photo. As a grandmother, I view it has “I Got You”. No matter what is happening with you I will cover and protect you.
    Thanks for sharing a beautiful pic. I didn’t see your caption on the pic. What did you see?

• Stu Cocanougher says:

This was at a free clinic that our church conducted outside of Pakse, Laos. The woman had brought her grandson to the clinic. In their society, when there was work to be done, both parents were in the fields. The gandparents kept the children. I took it while they were waiting to be seen by a doctor

3. Geoff Lee says:

Interesting post Stu. I am also interested in the use of imagery in the church and the powerful way in which this can be used. You also draw out well the issue of subjectivity and perspective, including the use of your own photography.

4. Stu Cocanougher says:

One of my favorite websites is Humans of New York.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

I had not idea what it was called before, but this is the best example that I know of Visual Ethnography on the internet.

Check it out.

5. Love the photo- first thing I noticed was the little boy’s hand on his mother. Precious…good reminder that everyone sees what they want to see even when looking at the same picture. What stands out to you in the picture?

6. Jim Sabella says:

I too loved the photo Stu. Like you and Geoff, for many years I’ve been interested in the use of imagery in the church. Can imagery of all kind convey “meaning” as you mention, and truth. The icons of the Eastern Church are one example. If a picture paints a thousand words, can it do the same at transmitting truth for example to those who cannot read?

7. Chip Stapleton says:

Stu,
    Loved the post, the picture and the insight. Also liked the questions at the end. . . . . Around our house we talk about people’s ‘Facebook life’, as in: ‘I wish I had their Facebook life’ or ‘Remember, we only see their Facebook life, they aren’t posting the pictures of the 2nd day of school when they missed the bus’.
    All that to say, I don’t think we can overstate the importance of understanding the subjectivity of these visuals or the importance of context.

8. Katy Lines says:

Excellent examples of different viewers’ perspectives on the same image. When I look at Facebook/Instagram photos, everyone has a fabulous with, a life to easily be envious of. However, knowing a person’s circumstances quickly helps the viewer realize that we parse & sort & choose what we communicate to others via social media.
    I imagine that, if you had other photos of this woman and child– photos of her at work, visiting with friends, worshiping, chastising the boy, etc– it would give a more complete framework of her life, although still only from the lens of an outsider.