UNYIELDING FORCE OF OPTIMISM

Written by: on December 7, 2023

Grandiose fantasies are a symptom of Resistance. They’re the sign of an amateur.

The professional has learned that success, like happiness, comes as a by-product of work.

-Steven Pressfield-

A piece of advice was given to me by one of the lecturers where I studied theology. The advice reads, “the best written work is not a perfect one, rather written work that has been completed.” At first I thought this advice was normal. However, as I immersed myself in various writing assignments, I was able to understand the meaning of the advice. That advice seems to be driving me now. I feel like I’m reminded that it’s important to finish what I’ve started, including the tasks I’m surfing between. This advice also seems to remind us of the potential and gaps where challenges in the process of completing these tasks may arise along the way.

When I read Pressfield’s book, I had the enlightenment that the challenge I referred to in the first paragraph above in this book is called “Resistance.”  Pressfield defines resistance as “a repelling force and it’s negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work. It cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled, but can be felt. We experience it as an energy field radiating from a work-in-potential.”[1] Pressfield succeeded in identifying the presence of a “figure” in humans who often prevents someone from moving forward and achieving success.

During this time I have met that figure (the Resistance). However, I misunderstood this figure. So far I have been a good host to him. I thought he was someone who could be a good friend for me. This happened because every time he appeared, he always gave me “comfort.” Yes, I am indeed comfortable with his presence. He always supports me when I am lazy and procrastinate, sitting around enjoying excessive leisure time instead of doing my assignments. He also forgave me if I argued that I deserved to get pleasure from my free time that far exceeded my work time. Pressfield’s writing opened my eyes to the fact that his presence was not worthy of us being friends. He didn’t come to help. Pressfield writes, “Resistance aims to kill. Its target is the epicenter of our being: our genius, our soul, the unique and priceless gift we were put on earth to give and that no one else has but us. Resistance means business. When we fight it, we are in a war to the death.”[2]

Pressfield says that Resistance seat in our Ego.[3] Pressfield also explains the difference between the Ego and the Self. Pressfield use Jung’s terminology to explain it further. He writes, “The Ego, Jung tells us, is that part of the psyche that we think of as “I.” Conscious intelligence. Our everyday brain thinks, plans, and runs the show of our day-to-day lives. The Self, as Jung defined it, is a greater entity, which includes the ego but also incorporates the Personal and Collective Unconscious. Dreams and intuitions come from the Self.”[4] The Self, like the Divine Ground that permeates it, is ever-growing and ever-evolving. The Self speaks for the future.[5] I then understood why I enjoyed the Resistance so much. The Ego doesn’t want us to evolve.[6]

This week I stare at stacks of assignment books and piles of ministry work. In times leading up to the Christmas and New Year holidays like this where the atmosphere is so serene, I want to hug my Ego again and welcome my “old friends”, the Resistance. But Pressfield reminded me again that I had to abandon and abandon my excessive fantasies. Instead, I had to develop a professional mentality. Pressfield writes, “The professional has learned that success, like happiness, comes as a by-product of work. The professional concentrates on the work and allows rewards to come or not come, whatever they like.”[7] I am a professional and will remain so. The professional is prepared at a deeper level. He is prepared, each day, to confront his own self-sabotage. The professional understands that Resistance is fertile and ingenious. It will throw stuff at him that he’s never seen before. The professional prepares mentally to absorb blows and to deliver them.[8] If in the past I was often lulled by the false comfort brought by the Resistance, now I am no longer the same person. A professional means “to be prepared to be prudent and reckless, to take a beating when he has to, and to go for the throat when he can. He understands that the field alters every day.  The goal is not victory (success will come by itself when it wants to) but to handle himself, his insides, as sturdily and steadily as he can.”[9]

Thanks to Pressfield! Through his writing, I gained enlightenment about being a professional rather than an amateur. This is a moment I called “Unyielding Force of Optimism.” My deepest reason is that I want to make my life as meaningful to as many people as possible. Pressfield helped me realize again how passionate I am about my calling in life. I really love what I do. There is another piece of advice that then came to my mind, “do what you love and love what you do.” It is time to get excited again and use that enthusiasm to increase my productivity, like a professional. I return all of this to honor the glory of God’s name, as Colossians 3:23 states: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.”

[1] Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles, (New York: Rugged Land, 2002), 7.

[2] Pressfield, The War of Art, 15.

Dinka Utomo

Dinka Nehemia Utomo is an ordained pastor of the Protestant Church in the Western part of Indonesia (Gereja Protestan di Indonesia bagian Barat or GPIB). He has served for more than 15 years. The first five years of his ministry were in the remote area of East Kalimantan, including people from the indigenous Dayak tribe in the small villages in the middle of the forest, frequently reached using small boats down the river. For more than 15 years, Dinka has served several GPIB congregations in several cities in Indonesia. He has always had a passion for equipping Christian families, teaching and guiding them to build equal relations between husband and wife, maintaining commitment, love, and loyalty, creating a healthy and constructive Christian family atmosphere, and rejecting all forms of violence and sexual violence. Dinka's beloved wife, Verra, is also a GPIB pastor. They have two blessed children. Dinka and his wife and children love to spend quality family time, such as lunch or dinner, and vacation to exotic places.

15 responses to “UNYIELDING FORCE OF OPTIMISM”

1. Hey Dinka! You are definitely a professional instead of an amateur! I love what you wrote, “The professional is prepared at a deeper level. He is prepared, each day, to confront his own self-sabotage.” I never thought of confronting my own sabotage each day but that is a brilliant thought. I need to remind myself that each day, that I have a sabotage. I need to be aware of it, confront it and sabotage it each day. This weekend I definitely need to be aware of my sabotage as I work on school projects. Thank you sir Dinka!

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Todd! Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!

Sure! Pressfield’s book is an insightful. It brings me to realize that many factors might sabotage us every day and make us derail from our track. Therefore, we have to be aware of this.

Dinka, you wrote, “Resistance aims to kill. Its target is the epicenter of our being: our genius, our soul, the unique and priceless gift we were put on earth to give and that no one else has but us. Resistance means business. When we fight it, we are in a war to the death. ”

Sun Tsu wrote, “Know the enemy.” Thanks for reminding us of what the enemy wants to do.

I think you speak for all of us when you say, “I return all of this to honor the glory of God’s name, as Colossians 3:23 states: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.”

I believe that all the DLGPers wish this to be the banner for their work.

Shalom…

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Russell! Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!

Thanks for the Sun Tsu’s quote. It is so enlightening.

Absolutely! Our cohort needs the insightful book of Pressfield. And I resonate with you concerning the Bible verse’s meaning.

Shalom!

Dinka, I think you have discovered the secret of much of our academic work (and our ministry work).

It’s this: “the best written work is not a perfect one, rather written work that has been completed.”

Too often we get stuck trying to perfect our work that never gets done. Whether it is Seth Godin’s rally cry “ship it” or Pixar animations lesson that a film is never truly done you just have to decide when it’s ‘done enough’.

Thank you for your always insightful words. Have a merry Christmas.

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Tim! Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!

Absolutely! We have to reach our best rather than our perfectness. Because when we try our best, we can measure our capacity and make sure that our work is done.
      Have a wonderful Christmas also! Blessings!

4. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Dinka,

This was just what I needed to read, “the best written work is not a perfect one, rather written work that has been completed.”
    Perfection has been the goal for so long. Thank you.

Happy Merry Everything, Dinka!

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Jonita! Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!

Absolutely! We have to measure our own capacity to make work to be done. But, we have also tried to give our best as we do it for God.

5. mm John Fehlen says:

Christmas Blessings to you and yours. So grateful to be in this program together. Praying Jesus’ love on you into the new year.

“Do not be afraid. I bring you GOOD NEWS that will cause GREAT JOY for ALL PEOPLE” (Luke 2:10).

6. Adam Harris says:

Oh, I love that you pulled out “The Ego doesn’t want us to evolve”. Something in human nature is always pushing us forward, medicine, tradition, fashion, education, technology, etc. I never thought of the Ego being the culprit for staying where we are but that makes sense. Appreciate the post!

7. Your reflection on Pressfield’s insights about Resistance is thought-provoking. It’s interesting how you initially saw Resistance as a friend but later recognized it as a barrier to your growth. Do you think this realization has fundamentally changed how you approach your tasks and goals now?

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Mathieu!

Absolutely!

Pressfield’s book has opened my mind concerning the Resistance and the Ego.

His book is such a mood booster in my academic journey and my leadership role in the church.

8. Hey Dinka!

Your insightful reflection on Pressfield’s concept of “Resistance” resonates deeply with my own journey. The allure of indulging in grandiose fantasies has often been my stumbling block. Your candid admission of embracing “Resistance” as a friend, offering comfort in procrastination, strikes a chord.

Pressfield’s wisdom, like a guiding light, exposed the true nature of this ‘friend.’ It’s not camaraderie but sabotage. The distinction between the Ego and the Self, as illuminated by Jung’s concepts, adds a layer of depth to our self-discovery. The realization that the Ego resists growth while the Self speaks for the future is profound.

As fellow professionals, we acknowledge that success emerges from dedication to our craft. Pressfield’s call to be prepared, to handle the blows of Resistance, and to persistently improve, is our mantra. Together, we embrace the “Unyielding Force of Optimism” and strive to make our lives meaningful.