Uncomfortable for a Reason

“No one ever asks me about my sex life.” I have quipped on more than one occasion at my church. Interesting conversation to be having at church, you might think. You would be right. This is a sign of the times, if you will. Sexuality is a topic of conversation in the denomination I serve, in the media, and in the church I pastor. The past few years have been especially trying as many people have left the church over fears of receiving a gay minister. Despite reassurances that the denomination would not send a gay minister to a church that does not want to receive one, many in the church can not fathom the idea that we live in a world where this is a possibility, hence I remark that our members are very concerned with the sexuality of a minister that is not here when no one has asked me about my own. It does make us all uncomfortable, which is the point. 

This leads to the reason why the book Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution came to be. It is condensed treatment of material found in Carl R. Trueman’s larger work, The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution, as a way to make the ideas more accessible and useful to those who are making decisions and policy around gender-politics. Trueman sums up the cultural situation in this way” “While gay marriage has created problems for Christian florists and cake bakers, it is arguable that most of us have not found it impinge uncomfortably upon our lives in an obvious way.”[1] 

Emergence of the Self

It may be true that for many these ideas and realities may have not impacted our particular world in an uncomfortable way, yet it is only a matter of time before it really makes us all uncomfortable. This is Trueman’s point as he traces the emergence of the Self as the ignition for the sexual revolution. He writes, “This is the notion of self (italics in original). And the self connects to three other concepts of relevance to my narrative: expressive individualism, the sexual revolution, and the social imaginary.” [2] Trueman goes on to explain that the self is the the truest expression of the person that brings them the most happiness. [3] This is evidenced most clearly in what Trueman calls “expressive individualism” which is summarized as “…the modern self is one where authenticity is achieved by acting outwardly in accordance with one’s inward feelings.” [4] Trueman is observing the shift from the culture or society being the defining factor to a person to the individual finding their truest self that is defined back toward the society. 

Trans Ideology 

Trueman traces the philosophy and thinkers that shaped the trajectory of modern thought leading to the mid- nineteenth century thinker, Simone de Beauvoir. He traces the separation of feminism and identity to her writings in which she writes that gender-identity is a “social construct” and separate from biology. [5] Trueman argues that while there are different expressions of feminine and masculine roles in various cultures it is a “metaphysical leap” to suggest that biological sex and gender are social constructs. [6] 

The strength of Truman’s writing is the historical trajectory that he offers to highlight the progression of thought for sexual identity. This is important to engage with the ideology offered and recognize the way it informs political thought and current rhetoric. The challenge I have with the Trueman is the implication that sexuality and its expression within historic Christianity is some sort of utopia that has been lost to modernest philosophy. While these traditional religious institutions and ideologies provided identity, they were not and are not free from critique. Perhaps, the current cultural situation is the result of failed stewardship of cultural authority by Christian religious institutions? I connect with the conclusion that Trueman offers, “This is not the time for hopeless despair nor naïve optimism.” [7] I do not believe that Jesus is surprised by these challenges and the church should not be either. This is an invitation to live into a “strange new world” unafraid while we discover and name the grace of God in a world of shifting gender-identities. Perhaps we may all come to more healthy views of sexuality within and outside our churches. 

1. Carl R Trueman, Strange New World (Crossway, 2022), p. 144.
  2. Ibid., 21. 
  3. Ibid. 
  4. Ibid., 23. 
  5. Ibid., 132-133. 
  6. Ibid., 133. 
  7. Ibid., 186. 

Chad McSwain

Chad is a systematic creative serving in pastoral ministry for nearly 20 years, Chad is a professional question-asker and white-board enthusiast, who enjoys helping people discover their own passions and purpose. A life-long learner, he has a B.A, Philosophy - Univ. Central Oklahoma, M.A Theology - Fuller Seminary, M.Div. Perkins School of Theology at SMU and is pursuing a Doctor of Leadership - George Fox University. He is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, currently serving as Lead Pastor of Whitesboro UMC. Chad and his wife, Brandi live in Prosper, Texas along with their three children, two pugs and a chameleon.

6 responses to “Uncomfortable for a Reason”

Great post Chad. I love your question, “Perhaps, the current cultural situation is the result of failed stewardship of cultural authority by Christian religious institutions?” How much of struggles we see in the church can trace back to how the church has failed in stewardship? What are the areas that ten, twenty, a hundred years from now others will say we failed in stewardship? I think how we navigate this ‘strange new world’ will say much about the church in this time.

2. Chad, our denomination’s struggles are all so relevant to this conversation and I appreciate your input and your observations about your church’s fears and your personal experience. I too have entered a church fearful in similar ways and I am often asked who my friends are and my husband and I are observed closely in public. It is an interesting perspective to look at the church and its stewardship.

“This is not the time for hopeless despair nor naïve optimism.” Amen!

Great post, Dr. Chad. This is a struggle for all of us in leadership and the Church as a whole. Way to tackle it and lead in Jesus with a level-head.

Chad
    I like this point you highlight-
    “Trueman argues that while there are different expressions of feminine and masculine roles in various cultures it is a “metaphysical leap” to suggest that biological sex and gender are social constructs. [6”

I am curious if you would have anything else to say about this?

great post!

5. mm Daron George says:

Chad,

I really enjoy that you emphasize the need for a balanced perspective, neither succumbing to despair nor embracing naive optimism. You seem to be advocating for engaging with the complexities of the current cultural landscape while remaining rooted in faith and a commitment to understanding and addressing shifting attitudes toward sexuality.

You made my eyes raise at that first line! I really enjoyed that hook, and the rest of your blog. You are doing great things within your church and I am excited for your new move! Keep the course, and show them who Dr. McSwain is all about.