The Voice of One

Sound…“the interface between heaven and earth.”[1]

The very first sound was the voice of God which brought the world into existence. It displayed power and creative authority from the onset of humanity. We can’t see sound, but it always affects us. Julian Treasure stated its effects as deeply physiological, psychological, cognitive, and behavioral.[2] Glanzer defines it as:

…complex, complicated, and consequential. Defining it depends on the discipline in which you work. Sound can be described as a vibration (physics), a reception (physiology), a perception (psychology), a sensation (audiology), and a stimulation (music).[3] Likewise, leadership is also “complex, complicated, and consequential….”[4]

In his book, The Sound of Leadership, Jules Glanzer masterfully weaves the understanding of sound into the tapestry of leadership. He begins with the prelude of calling. In the realm of music, a prelude sets the tone and beckons the listener’s attention for what is to come. Glanzer notes that “before one can see the future, learn about the situation, do what is required, and love those who have gathered, one must listen – to others and to the voice of God.”[5] How often do we as leaders miss this?

In my current ministry context, we have been in a state of transition for four years. We sold a 65-year-old building and moved our settled church to being “unsettled” in a theatre. We navigated Covid, racial unrest, and political upheaval with the world, but also navigated uncertainty with where we would finally settle. We have had to take time out repeatedly to fast, pray, and hear God’s voice. In our church context, leading change was so needed, but the layers and layers of change have left us a bit worn. Alvin Toffler wrote in “Future Shock”, “Change is avalanching upon our heads and most people are grotesquely unprepared to cope with it.”[6] Leading not only needs others to follow, it weathers change, it resolves to not quit when it is hard, to keep the bigger picture in mind, and to walk in alignment with a higher calling.

I am reminded of Simon Walker’s closing chapter in his book, “Leading Out of Who You Are.” He rallies the need for “undefended leadership”, calling for leaders who, not only understand “chronos” (time) but also “kairos”, (significant time); understanding the moments in which we live, the forces and larger patterns at work that are shaping and changing us as we move forward.[7] Attentive listening as well as leading is vital.

Another takeaway from Glanzer’s book was the deeper contemplation of his opening question, “What is your understanding of leadership?”  Books upon books are written on leadership and yet, as Joanna Lumley writes “’leadership’ is a rather tired word…over-used, and …old-fashioned, static and trite.”[8] And so we can take for granted how important leadership is. As I thought about this basic question, my first thought was “A leader has those who follow”. But it is so much more than that. The leader’s lot is, as Eva Poole writes, “a messy business”…requiring apprenticeship and hours of practice.”[9] Glanzer calls the leader to “listen, see, learn, do, and love the tones that create the sound of leadership.”[10] “Leadership embodies both simplicity and complexity. In its simplest form, leadership is influence. In its complex form, leadership (as Edwin Friedman quotes) is ‘stuck in the rut of trying harder and harder without obtaining significantly new results.’”[11]

And so the complexity of leadership continues to cause us to want to learn more and become better. We desire to lead and develop others well. This monumental task begs us to listen to who first initially called us into existence. “The voice of One”[12] The One who we can apprentice under for a lifetime so that we can become as Glancer notes “kingdom-seeking, God-honoring, and biblically rooted” to ultimately bring “pleasure to the Lord.”[13]

[1] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence (Jules Glanzer, 2023). Xxvi.

[2] Julian Treasure, How to Be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening (Coral Gables, FL: Mango Publishing Group, 2017). 25-33.

[3] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence. Xxiv.

[4] Jules Glanzer.

[5] Jules Glanzer. Xxv.

[6] Bridges, William and Susan Bridges, Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes (New York, NY: Hachette Book Group, Inc., 2019).

[7] Simon P. Walker, Leading Out Of Who You Are: Discovering the Secret of Undefended Leadership (Carlisle, UK: Piquant Editions Ltd., 2007). 159.

[8] Eve Poole, Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership (London ; New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2017). Back cover.

[9] Poole. 2-3.

[10] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence. Xiii.

[11] Jules Glanzer. 3.

[12] Jules Glanzer. 128.

[13] Jules Glanzer. 127.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

10 responses to “The Voice of One”

Thanks for this post, Esther. Your quote: “’The voice of One’ The One who we can apprentice under for a lifetime so that we can become as Glancer notes ‘kingdom-seeking, God-honoring, and biblically rooted’ to ultimately bring ‘pleasure to the Lord.’” Was a much more articulate way of saying what I wanted to say!

I am curious: You referenced the rut of leadership. Are there ways you want to challenge yourself to get out of the rut of “trying harder and harder without obtaining significantly new results”?

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Jen,
      Ah. The rut of leadership… I believe we find ourselves here more often then we dare to admit and in some ways, I believe it is necessary. The ruts bring us back to the centering truth that we truly need greater awareness and understanding of God’s perspective and working. This coming week Keith and I are taking three days in the mountains to have a time of solitude and recalibration…basically a time with God, our journals, and Bibles to hear God’s heart for our next steps as a church for the new year. Why are we more often drawn to listening more in the ruts then in the times of success? It makes me wonder if our motivation is still in a consumer mindset with God himself.

Such a great post.
    After reading you post I though of the first God sound.

Gen 1: 3-5 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness He called “night.” And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Genesis, beautifully continues on. The sound of creation from the Creator.

Wow. I wonder what the music creation sounds like? Glanzer asks some good questions, what does the sound of my leadership sound like? A clanging gong? Rock and roll minus the beat of drummer? A cacophony of mismatched tones? Sigh…

When I think of you I think of “The Lark Ascending.” I wish my leadership sounded like that.

• Esther Edwards says:

Russell,
      I love how your creative mind works. Just you writing takes me back to the Vivaldi concert. We were blessed to have an upfront view of symphonic creation. The sound was riveting. I imagine that was just a taste of what the world experienced as God began weaving sound into all he created.
      By the way…I am honored to be likened to “The Lark Ascending.” Lol!

Hi Esther,
    Thanks for bringing in Walker and Treasure! I thought a lot about those two authors while reading our book this week. Listening opens up so much space for us to experience God, be led by the spirit, and connect with one another. Being that you are a musician I have been looking forward to reading your post. Sound and music in particular seem to be a big part of the “interface of heaven and earth” that Glanzer mentioned. I was wondering if you could speak to that a bit? I can only appreciate music that others play. What’s it like when the music is yours?

Hi, Jenny,
    Sound and music are very different. Sound is simply vibration that resonates through something. Music speaks to the intentionality of organized sound. Just as I am writing this, I can see so many implications to leadership. Leadership takes intentionality and skill as does the practice and execution of music.
    To answer your second question, when you are able to make music as opposed to listening, you step into the realm of creating that gives greater joy and ownership. It is a gift beyond measure. As my daughers struggled with practicing when they were younger, I knew that one day they would see that making the music would make their lives all the more richer than simply hearing it… and it has. Today, each one uses music to draw others in to worship, or use it to simply unwind and enjoy.

5. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Esther!

Thank you for your post. I’m intrigued by your experience in your ministry context.

You mention, “In my current ministry context, we have been in a state of transition for four years. We sold a 65-year-old building and moved our settled church to being “unsettled” in a theatre. We navigated Covid, racial unrest, and political upheaval with the world, but also navigated uncertainty with where we would finally settle. We have had to take time out repeatedly to fast, pray, and hear God’s voice.”
    I’m just wondering, how can you really convince yourself that what you hear is the voice of God?

• Esther Edwards says:

Dinka,
      Such a good question. I remember talking to my daughter, who was 7 at the time, about what it meant to listen to God’s voice. One day, she came down from her room, quite upset. She said, angrily, “I’ve been on my bed for 10 minutes just listening, but God hasn’t said a word!” Since then, God has spoken many times to her and led her life in many seasons.

Sometimes I do feel like my daughter though, especially when we are at crossroads in our lives and need God to speak clearly. Sometimes he does, and other times, you just keep moving forward step by step and his plan unfolds. I believe the important thing is to remain in prayer and close communion with Christ, not just when you need to hear from Him for a decision.

6. Hey Esther

I totally understand where you’re coming from, with your post about the challenges of managing time in college. I’ve been going through the struggles during my year so its comforting to know that I’m not alone in this.

Your suggestion of creating a study schedule caught my attention. When it comes to setting up a study schedule what do you think is the approach to ensure it remains flexible enough to handle events or changes in workload? I’ve been trying to create one myself. Sometimes life throws curveballs our way.

Additionally I really appreciate your emphasis on self care. It’s something that I’ve been neglecting lately. I can clearly see how it impacts my well being. Could you share some self care practices that have worked well for you? I’d love to hear your insights on finding that balance between academics and taking care of ourselves.

Thanks, for sharing your experiences and advice!

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Mathieu,
      You may have been responding to another post but I am interested in whose post you are refering to. Lol! With continuing blurred boundaries of all the plates I spin, revisiting time management was on my agenda to discuss with my coach in the next few weeks.