The truth about leaving your legacy – are you doing it right?

The Question:

“What do you want them to say about you at your funeral?”

It was a pretty deep question for my uncle to ask when I was 14 years old but the lesson was clear: live your life the way you want to be remembered. As I grew older and entered professional work I realized how you lived your life was singular: while work/life balance is important, you can only have one set of values and principles. The same values you choose to make important are reflected at home and in the workplace.

Inspired by my uncle’s question, and armed with an innate curiosity I was drawn to pursue the study of what makes a great leader and in turn seek to discover what I can do to become a great leader.

The answer:

Many great leaders extol different values. The ones I believe are worth my attention excel in these values:
Gratitude
Empathy
Trust
Honesty
Generosity
Service

The relentless pursuit of the study of leadership combined with a strong gifting in the ability to get people excited about the message I’m delivering often puts me at the intersection of vision and execution. I can lead and inspire a team by giving them hope and I can manage and get results from the same group by giving them help[1].

Jules Glanzer suggests there are three types of legacy you can leave: the legacy you desire, the legacy attributed to you and the legacy attached to you[2]. His conclusion in his book, The Sound of Leadership, is the legacy you try to leave is often not the one you hope for. Not that the legacy associated with you is bad; in Glanzer’s case he reported the legacy attributed to him included records amount of donations given to the academic institution he was president of and a season of new buildings and programs.

He argues, however, legacy is something you have control over by the way you lead your life everyday including the decisions you make, actions you take and attitude you have[3]. Glanzer says having a clear vision of what you want your legacy to be is important even if it’s not the actual legacy you are remembered for.[4]

Author Stephen Covey advocates this posture in his seminal work on what he calls “universal truths” in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People[5]. The second habit is to “begin with the end in mind,” which is about having a clear understanding of your long-term goals, values, and desired outcomes before you start any endeavor. It encourages individuals to define their personal mission statement, which serves as a guiding document for their life’s direction.

Jules Glanzer’s insights in The Sound of Leadership align with Stephen R. Covey’s second habit. Glanzer emphasizes the importance of understanding the distinction between the legacy you desire, the legacy attributed to you and the legacy attached to you. This highlights that individuals have the power to shape their legacy through actions and alignment with their values.

Over the course of his career, Glanzer has been a pastor, dean of a Christian seminary and president of a Christian college so it should come as no surprise his work contains several scriptural references. In particular, when speaking about legacy, Glanzer references several passages where Jesus named and claimed what he wanted his legacy to be.

In Matthew 5:17, Jesus emphasizes that He came not to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill them. This demonstrates a clear sense of purpose to a specific mission. In Mark 1:38, Jesus declares that He must go to other towns to preach because that is what He came for. Similarly, in John 5:43, He speaks of coming in His Father’s name, highlighting a defined purpose and identity.[6]

To start this post, I wrote a short story about a conversation between my uncle and myself that led me to research what makes a great leader and then outlines what I want my legacy to be. This isn’t new copy – it’s been in the about me section of my LinkedIn profile for the last five years as I seek to attract potential clients into a relationship with me.

Glazner presents a good model – one backed up by Jesus – for ensuring you leave a legacy you can be grateful for by being intentional about the actions and attitude you take. It may not be the legacy you set out to leave, but you’ll at least have some influence over its narrative.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/in/myuill/
[2] Jules Glazner, The Sound of Leadership (Invite Press, 2023) page 66
[2] Ibid., page 67
[4] Ibid., page 67
[5] Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1989)
[6] Glazner, Sound of Leadership page 68

How I used AI in this post:

• After writing my post, I pasted into Chat GPT and asked it to produce 10 blog post titles. After reviewing them I selected three I thought had potential and asked it to take elements from each and create something thematically similar to a clickbait title. The output was “The Shocking Truth About Your Legacy – Are You Prepared” I used this output to create my final title
  • I have read Covey’s book twice and listened to it on audiobook once. I asked Chat GPT to summarize the second habit for me using this prompt “Can you remind me of some of the specifics from Stephen Covey’s the 7 Habits of Highly Successful People second habit “Begin with the end in mind.” I then used the output to inspire my writing to introduce Covey’s book to the post and compare and contrast it with Glazner.
  • I input several passages Glazner uses in chapter 10 to illustrate Jesus was crystal clear on the legacy he came to create. Glazner emphasized the word “come” to illustrate this. I was curious if there were other words that appeared often and I used a prompt to ask Chat GPT to output a table of word frequency across the passages (this is a common strategy used when writing blog posts, counting keywords from a blog post that ranks high on Google to see if keyword frequency is influencing the post’s high rank) in order to quickly see if there was something I could pick up on and approach from a different angle. It did lead me to see the underlying value of being clear as it relates to legacy, so I included this as a small paragraph in my post

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!

15 responses to “The truth about leaving your legacy – are you doing it right?”

1. Esther Edwards says:

Mathieu,
    What a great story to put on your LinkedIn profile page to draw on the need for authentic relationship.

Somehow I missed the legacy piece in my reading of Glazner but appreciate the three distinctives. I am gleaning from a book in my NPO research called “Living Life Backward: How Ecclesiastes Teaches Us to Live in Light of the End” by David Gibson. Here is a quote:
    “Left to our own devices, we live our life forward…Ecclesiastes teaches us to live life backward…It is the destination that makes sense of the journey…” (p. 12).
    Thanks for sharing from your own loss and learnings.

• Jennifer Vernam says:

Esther-
      The values identification jumped out to me at the beginning of Mathieu’s post. Your comment made me wonder about the relationship values might have to solving your NPO? Have you made a connection between how people enter their third act is impacted by the awareness of their values?

• Esther Edwards says:

Jen,
        I love how we are investing in each other’s NPO’s. Values would be one of the strategic components of fleshing out the realm of identity in this season. Whatever I develop would have a Life Plan mapping part where values and strengths would be processed . Michael Hyatt & Daniel Harkavy’s “Life Plan” model is something I have taught on so I may draw from that but expand it with a values, styles, and strengths assessment.

• Hey Esther,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. It’s encouraging to know that the story on my LinkedIn profile resonated with you.

The insight you shared from David Gibson’s “Living Life Backward” is deeply profound. The concept of living life with the end in mind, as taught by Ecclesiastes, aligns well with the idea of legacy in leadership. It emphasizes the importance of understanding our actions and choices in the context of their long-term impact and meaning.

Your mention of “Living Life Backward” adds an interesting dimension to the conversation about legacy and the way we approach life and leadership. It’s a reminder that the journey is informed by the destination we envision, and that perspective can significantly shape our decisions and actions. Thanks for bringing this perspective into the discussion and for appreciating the insights shared in my post.

Hi Mathieu,
    I had a similar experience when I was 15. I had to write my own obituary for my confirmation class! You made the connection between Steven Covey’s second habit, “begin with the end in mind” and Dr Glanzer’s different types of legacy, the legacy you desire, the legacy attributed to you and the legacy attached to you.” Then you brought in the values we hold. Those are very impactful connections for me. I have never really understood the whole legacy thing but by focusing on the values I hold to I don’t feel pressureed to make something happen or strive to be remembered for specific things. I don’t think I have control over any of it. I have a running question in my head, “What’s my next faithful step?”
    I wish I had the obituary I wrote those many years ago. It would have been an interesting window into my 15-year-old self. The only thing I recall is that I wanted to be remembered for being kind. You have me thinking that it is our values that become our legacy. Your list of values is awesome! Right now my next faithful step is to send baby shower invitations. What’s yours?

• Hello j.doooooooooley@email.com,

Your reflection on writing your own obituary as a teenager and the lasting impact it had on your perspective is truly fascinating. It’s a unique exercise that clearly left a deep impression on you, particularly in terms of understanding legacy through the lens of personal values.

Your approach of asking, “What’s my next faithful step?” is a powerful way to navigate life. It aligns perfectly with the idea that our values ultimately shape our legacy, rather than striving for specific achievements or recognition. This mindset frees us from the pressure of trying to control how we’ll be remembered and instead focuses on living out our values in the present.

The fact that kindness stood out to you at such a young age speaks volumes about your character and the legacy you’re naturally creating. As for my next faithful step, it’s continuing to engage in meaningful conversations like this one, helping to share insights and learn from others. Your question about baby shower invitations highlights the beauty of everyday actions contributing to our legacy. It’s these small, faithful steps that collectively define who we are and what we leave behind.

Begin with the end in mind.

I’ve been trying to live that and teach it to my kids and congregation for years.

But it’s so easy to get distracted.

I love your statement that our legacy may not be the one we set out to leave but that we can have influence on its direction. I find when we are too prescriptive to our legacy we don’t give room for inevitable adjustments to our life story… to me legacy is more descriptive and the narrative has room to shift.

Anyways, a lot of random thoughts but your post encouraged and challenged me to think more about how to think about the end. Thanks!

• Hey Timmy from the block! (I am sorry if you hate being called Timmy. I called Jen McNab “Jenny from the block” the other day and it has stuck with me so any single-syllable name is getting an “ing” and “from the block” added to it these days),

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reflections. It’s commendable that you’ve been trying to embody and impart the principle of ‘beginning with the end in mind’ to your children and congregation. Indeed, maintaining focus on this concept can be challenging amidst the distractions of daily life.

Your perspective on legacy being more descriptive and adaptive rather than prescriptive is a valuable insight. It suggests a dynamic approach to life where we remain open to changes and new directions, allowing our legacy to evolve organically. This approach respects the fluid nature of our life stories and the various paths we may take.

• mm Tim Clark says:

I don’t mind Timmy… though it reminds me more of South Park than J.Lo. (actually makes me also think of ‘Becky from the Block’… if you don’t know that song look up the video; it’s a good picture of the culture I serve)

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. It’s great to be growing alongside you and the others. Happy this doctoral program is challenging us to stretch!

Hi Matthew,
    Thanks for discussing the legacy bit.
    I am unsure if I appreciate the need to focus on legacy. I tend to look at the now and the way forward.

Dinka talked about “humility” in his post. Now that is something I lack and desire to hang my hat on. A humble person doesn’t brag about his accomplishments (I brag all the time). I think for now, that is what I want to focus on living humbly….not on my legacy.

This week I had some amazing time in presenting my thesis project in Texas. I am reminded however, how clearly GOD made this all possible. He set up the divine appointments, the speaking engagements and then the words to say. My legacy or HIS?

On my tombstone? “Husband and Father.” The rest I am becoming increasingly unconcerned with.

Shalom….

• Hello Russel,

Thank you for sharing your perspective on legacy and humility. It’s a thoughtful approach to focus on the present and the path forward, rather than fixating on how we’ll be remembered. Your emphasis on humility, especially in the context of your recent experiences, highlights an important aspect of leadership and personal growth.

Acknowledging the role of humility in our lives can indeed shift our focus from creating a specific legacy to living authentically and gratefully in the moment. It’s inspiring to hear how you attribute your recent successes to divine guidance and support, reflecting a mindset that values humility and gratitude.

Your decision to prioritize being a ‘Husband and Father’ on your tombstone is a powerful statement of what truly matters to you. It shows a clear understanding of what you cherish most, reinforcing the idea that legacies are deeply personal and varied.

5. Cathy Glei says:

Thanks, Mathieu!!! How we choose to live “the dash” (life lived between birth and physical death) greatly impacts our legacy, the reaping of what we have sown. As I reflect on various seasons of my life, I am thankful for God’s grace that corrected my course through the lives of faithful followers who discipled me. Thankful that Jesus came that I may have life and have it to the full. It is a gift to read a friend’s post, reflect, be filled with gratitude, and have a moment of personal worship.

• Hello Cathy,

Thanks for your reflections! Indeed, “the dash” symbolizes our journey and the legacy we create. It’s heartening to hear about the role of God’s grace and discipleship in your life. This gratitude and acknowledgment of Jesus’ gift of a full life resonate deeply. Your experience of finding inspiration and worship in everyday moments, including reading and reflecting on posts, is truly uplifting. It’s these moments of gratitude and connection that enrich our lives and shape our legacy.

6. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

We came at this book the same way! I loved your post and how you addressed Legacy. I think it’s easy to think about our own legacy, well maybe not easier, but the harder legacy to be a part of a system that is broken. Thus our readings on Protestantism, capitalism, derailing leadership, etc. What larger legacy are we a part of and how do we change it? Can we?

• Hey Jana “banana” Dluehosh,

It’s great to hear that we share a similar perspective on the book and the concept of legacy. You’ve raised a crucial point about the complexity of being part of a larger, perhaps flawed, system. It’s one thing to consider our personal legacy, but it’s another to think about our role in a broader context like Protestantism, capitalism, or leadership systems.