The struggle and the hope

Kenan Malik, writing from a distinctly British perspective, seeks to put our current social and political issues into their historical context. He effectively takes his readers on a journey to understand the history of racism and how it has gotten us to where we are.[1] In his own words, “One theme of this book is the need to comprehend both the immense significance of the Enlightenment and the depth of the contradictions and paradoxes that rent it.”[2] He goes on to establish that although inequality and exploitation among humans have existed since the beginning of time, it was Immanuel Kant who “not only established a taxonomy of race, but also imposed value judgments upon them.”[3]

Personally, I appreciated Malik’s explanations and history lessons. Admittedly I’ve often heard people state that race is nothing more than a social construct, but I hadn’t completely grasped what they meant until now.[4] As we’ve read about previously, tribalism is hard-wired into us as humans.[5] We naturally divide the world into “us” and “others”. It’s almost comical (but not quite) to read Malik’s inclusion of one famous historian’s perspective on my own native Pennsylvania:

“Why”, asked Benjamin Franklin, one of the great figures of the American Enlightenment, “should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them?” … And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also.” Only “the Saxons” and “the English” were truly white. “I could wish their Numbers were increased”, Franklin lamented.[6]

On one hand, we have the inescapable reality that as humans we naturally discriminate, dehumanize and fear those who are not part of our “in-group.” Thus, we are prone to do all sorts of mental gymnastics such as create racial boundaries where none exist in any real biological sense. On the other hand, we know that in Christ we are freed from that old way of thinking. In Christ “there is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28 ESV) I’ve run across the loveliest reminder of how this was already true in the person of Jesus, which we can see if we look closely at his genealogy. Not only did Jesus’ lineage include male and female (well, obviously it did, but Matthew went out of his way to honor some of those women); it also included ancestors of Jewish as well as Gentile origin. Ruth the Moabitess and Rahab were Gentiles. Tamar was likely Gentile and even Bathsheba was originally married to a Gentile, namely Uriah the Hittite.[7] Jesus himself transcended in-group vs. out-group barriers, even as he was obviously incarnated into a male, Jewish, Middle Eastern, Aramaic speaking body.

Malik embraces writer Thomas Chatterton Williams’ perspective on transcendence, which is a little different than Jesus’ but still worth considering. “To transcend race, to break the bounds of identity politics, requires us to resurrect radical universalism not as an idea but as a social movement. It requires us to think of racism, not as a singular problem, but in its connection with other forms of inequalities. It requires us to restitch the economic and the political. To transcend the concept of race requires not just an intellectual revolution, but a social one, too.”[8]

I don’t know if we will ever experience an intellectual let alone a social revolution. But as we struggle against all forms of inequality, I am reminded that we can be hopeful even in the midst of the battle. Theologian Esau McCaulley in his book Reading While Black encourages us that our faith, specifically the discipline of Bible reading “places its greatest hopes in the character of God as it emerges from the entirety of the biblical story. It builds on the great truths of God as creator, liberator, savior and judge.”[9] And so my hope for humankind, the only way we will transcend our differences, lie in our hope as God as creator, liberator, savior and judge.

[1] Keenan Malik “What We Get Wrong About Race.” August 9, 2023 on TRIGGERnometry podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vajeuKADyc

[2] Malik, Kenan. Not So Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics. London: Hurst, 2023. Ch. 1.

[4] As an aside, I found this article on the topic of race as a social construction, if you’re looking for another explanation: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/race-is-a-social-construct-scientists-argue/

[5] Agarwal, Pragya. Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias, London: Bloomsbury Sigma, 2020. 43.

[6] Franklin, Benjamin (1918; first pub. 1755) Observations Concerning the Increase of Mankind, Peopling of Countries, Etc, William Abbatt.

[7] Kenneth E. Bailey. Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarisity Press, 2008. 42.

[8] Williams, Thomas Chatterton (2019) Self-Portrait in Black and White: Unlearning Race, John Murray. 137.

[9] Esau McCaulley. Reading While Black: African American Biblical Interpretation as an Exercise in Hope. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 2020. 165.

Kim Sanford

9 responses to “The struggle and the hope”

1. Kim! Your brilliance really comes out in this post! WOW! I love the various authors/resources you use to connect us to your blog…especially your explanation of Jesus’ lineage.
    So much stood out but the one line that’s making me think is, “we are prone to do all sorts of mental gymnastics such as create racial boundaries where none exist in any real biological sense.”
    It’s the words “mental gymnastics” that are keeping my brain spinning. Gymnasts have boundaries and I’m wondering what kind of mental boundaries I have that keep me in a box. And if I am willing to kick down those mental boundaries to see people, life, problems, races, from a different perspective or as you say, do this to transcend race. I’m just really thinking out loud here. Thanks again Kim for such a well thought through and written blog!

Kim, as always, great writing and thinking.

I agree with you that the greatest answer is only found in God. The question your post leaves me with is what responsibility, if any, do Christians in a dominant race in a culture have to lay down their lives to serve people who have been discriminated against?

In other words, one might argue that race is a social construct, but if so, in the US, it seems to be a social construct that has been leveraged for one race’s benefit for a long time. So how might those who have benefited learn to use that benefit to serve others?

• mm Kim Sanford says:

Thanks, Tim. You’ve absolutely hit on something that I continue to have questions about. I have learned so much in recent years about the historical and current inequalities that people of color face. I think it’s really important for the church to do better and to be a force for change. How to reconcile that with Malik’s ideas? I’m not sure, but I keep coming back to two things: justice and dignity. We can always stand up for justice for the marginalized and we can always act in ways that bestow dignity on every human. In many cases in the church that starts with a lot of listening and a lot of humility (as you referenced a few weeks ago in class, if my memory serves).

3. Kally Elliott says:

Kim, great post, and thank you for helping me to better understand Malik. I think I understand what he is saying but I am still processing it and not yet able to fully articulate it. Your post was helpful.

The quote from Chatterton was especially helpful to me as I wonder about the similarities between transcendence and/or universalism and the Kingdom of God. You mention that Thomas Chatterton Williams’ perspective on transcendence, is a little different than Jesus’, can you help me understand what you see as different between the two?

• mm Kim Sanford says:

Kally, great question. It’s been a minute since I actually wrote that post so I had to go back and refresh my memory. This interview with Chatterton was helpful: https://www.aspenideas.org/articles/can-we-transcend-race-while-fighting-racism.
      In it he seems to say that transcending race basically means thinking of ourselves and each other as individuals, disconnected from any racial identity. I’m having trouble articulating it, but I think Jesus’ version of transcendance goes something like this: He calls us to leave behind our loyalties to our earthly tribes, whatever they may be, but not for the sake of individualism or self-actualization. He offers us a new identity where we are bound together despite our former tribal divisions. And the basis for this transcendance isn’t a social revolution but rather a reconciled relationship to Him. I don’t know if that’s helpful but it’s how it works out in my head.

4. mm John Fehlen says:

Isn’t it interesting how there are two (if not many more) sides to everything?

For example, you quotes this: “…places its greatest hopes in the character of God as it emerges from the entirety of the biblical story. It builds on the great truths of God as creator, liberator, savior and judge.” Whereas I (and many others) know God to be such a liberator, others (and there are many) only know him as oppressor.

In the case of the Jewish/Palestinian crisis right now, there are those that are so firmly in each camp, and find it hard to understand the viewpoint of “the other.” It’s just further evidence that we in humanity need our “constructs” to continually be broken down, and find ourselves in a renewed space of humility.

Good grief – Benjamin Franklin – NOT HELPING DUDE!

Thank you Matthew for reminding us about the lineage of Christ. Wow…he mentioned women…so counter culture.

Some fun US facts..
    1. Anti-Coolie Act (1862): Aimed at reducing the competition between Chinese laborers and white laborers by imposing a tax on Chinese workers.
    2. Page Act of 1875: Considered one of the earliest immigration laws, it effectively prevented Chinese women from immigrating to the U.S. by classifying them as “undesirable,” targeting those suspected of prostitution or being brought for immoral purposes.
    3. Chinese Exclusion Act (1882-1943): This act was the first and only major federal legislation to explicitly suspend immigration for a specific nationality, prohibiting all immigration of Chinese laborers for ten years, which was later extended.

I have lived in Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Hungary, Turkey, Korea and in each place I have found the welcoming embrace of churches who share – My identity in Christ

Selah….

6. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Kim!

Thanks for your insightful post!

I resonate with your thought when you say to put our hope in God as the greatest Judge.

you wrote, “I don’t know if we will ever experience an intellectual let alone a social revolution. But as we struggle against all forms of inequality, I am reminded that we can be hopeful even in the midst of the battle. Theologian Esau McCaulley in his book Reading While Black encourages us that our faith, specifically the discipline of Bible reading “places its greatest hopes in the character of God as it emerges from the entirety of the biblical story. It builds on the great truths of God as creator , liberator, savior and judge.”[9] And so my hope for humankind, the only way we will transcend our differences, lie in our hope as God as creator, liberator, savior and judge.”

In your opinion, what should we do with the hope we place in God so that equality and justice can truly be realized in everyday life? Do we just stay silent or do we need to take concrete action?

7. mm Kim Sanford says:

Thanks, Dinka, for clarifying. Yes, I think it’s important that our ultimate hope is in God and His justice. But that doesn’t mean that we stay silent, that we avoid taking action and working for justice around us. It’s a great tension of our faith, isn’t it? We do our best and work hard to see God’s Kingdom come on Earth, even though we know that this side of Heaven we will never really see it to perfection. It’s important to work and aspire and hope for justice even if we know that we will ultimately be disappointed until we meet God face to face.