The Sprinkler System (Sistem Pemercik)

When I first flipped through the pages of the book, Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding: Threshold Concepts and Troublesome Knowledge, a wave of questions inundated my mind. The initial thought that struck me was, how will I navigate through the contents of this book? Can I retain all this information? What insights am I expected to extract for my blog? The sheer magnitude of these inquiries overwhelmed me. In that moment, I admonished myself, “Shela, pause!” I took a moment, closed my eyes, and… I then applied the reading and note-taking techniques advocated by Adler, Mortimer Jerome, and Charles Van Doren in “How to Read a Book,” as well as Ahrens, Sönke’s approach in “How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning, and Thinking.” Progressing through the chapters one by one, I took notes in both English and Malay. Gradually, my mind began to establish connections with each chapter and concept, and a sense of peace came upon my heart. I must admit, this proved to be a challenging read for me.

During my tenure as a Procurement Strategy Lead, I collaborated with engineers overseeing intricate projects for utility plants, including hydro, steam, and nuclear facilities. As the designated subject matter expert in procuring services, equipment, and materials for construction projects, I initially found myself perplexed by seemingly unusual requests. One experience involved the procurement of a water sprinkler system for installation in the middle of the Willamette River in Oregon. The peculiar nature of this request left me questioning its purpose.  What is the purpose of procuring and installing a sprinkler system in a river? It was not until I attended a CE class that the pieces of the puzzle fell into place. The sprinkler system, it turned out, had a unique function—to deter birds from preying on the fish, particularly Salmon, in the river. In Oregon, safeguarding the Salmon is a priority due to their migratory patterns and the delicate balance of their habitat. This revelation marked a significant “aha moment” for me.

[1] According to Jan H Meyer and Ray Land, eds.  Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding: Threshold Concepts and Troublesome Knowledge, the concept of a threshold is often associated with troublesome knowledge. I consider the study of Sociology: Social Construction as troublesome knowledge. Moving to United States, it was challenging and disturbing to grasp the existence of systemic racism – how naive of me!

It did not occur to me that the concept of race itself is recognized as a social construct, meaning that the categories and distinctions we make based on race are not inherently biological but are created and shaped by societal factors.

From 2020 to 2022, my employer assigned me to formalize and manage the Supplier Diversity Program incompliant with the [2] State of Oregon (DEI Initiative) Action Plan. By attending forums and seminars, I learned about systemic racism, emerging from the social construction of race and is sustained through institutions such as education, criminal justice, healthcare, and housing. For me understanding systemic racism as a social construction involved recognizing how historical and cultural factors have contributed to the establishment of discriminatory systems and structures in the United States. It also involved me in acknowledging the ways in which power dynamics and institutional practices perpetuate racial disparities.

Through an organization called [3] Partners in Diversity, addressing systemic racism required a critical examination of these social constructions, challenging and dismantling discriminatory policies and practices, and by actively working towards creating more equitable and just systems. This perspective aligned me with the threshold concept in sociology that emphasizes the understanding of social construction and its impact on shaping perceptions and experiences related to race.

Following our reading assignment for this week, I resonate with ‘transformative concept’ a ‘shift in our thoughts’.   Transformative concept is sometimes called transformation learning and focuses on the idea that learners can adjust their thinking based on new information. I explored Jack Mezirow’s transformative learning, similar to transformative concept by Jan H. Meyer and Ray Land. Jack Mezirow is known as the founder of transformative learning. Mezirow began this theory of transformational learning when he did studies on adult women who went back to school. [4] “Mezirow’s one theory of learning, and particularly focuses on adult education and young adult learning. Mezirow’s initial research led him to theorize that adults do not apply their old understanding to new situations, instead they find they need to look at new perspectives in order to get a new understanding of things as they change. Mezirow theorized that these students had important teaching and learning opportunities connected to their past experiences. Mezirow found that critical reflection and critical review could lead to a transformation of their understanding. Adult education and adult learning is key in this theory, as children often do not have the same kind of transformation with their learning experiences. Mezirow found that adult learning involves taking the very things we believed and thought as a child, and letting critical reflection and teaching impact the transformation to what we should believe and understand now. Mezirow’s theory has developed into a larger idea that our world view is changed the more we learn, and that helps us grasp new concepts and ideas.”

[1] Jan H Meyer and Ray Land, eds.  Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding: Threshold Concepts and Troublesome Knowledge (New York: Routledge, 2006).

[2[ https://www.oregon.gov/das/Docs/DEI_Action_Plan_2021.pdf

[3] https://www.patnersindiversity.com

[4] https://www.wgu.edu/blog/What Is The Transformative Learning Theory

Willamette Falls Dam

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

10 responses to “The Sprinkler System (Sistem Pemercik)”

1. Debbie Owen says:

Shela, you discuss your threshold concept with regard to race as a social construct, and how that meant letting go of some preconceived ideas.

Did you see anything about why Mezirow found adults don’t apply their old understandings to new situations? Do you notice this in yourself at all, or in others when you have opportunity to lead and/or teach?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Debbie, thank you for reading my post.

Mezirow observed that adults gain profound awareness of their biased habits of mind, and by engaging in self-assessment and critical evaluation, they undergo a transformation of these habits. Consequently, in line with Mezirow’s perspective, adults refrain from applying their previous understandings to new situations. Indeed, I, too, have experienced a significant transformation away from old habits in numerous aspects.

2. Christy Liner says:

Hi Shela, thanks for your post.

Issues like systemic racism can be emotionally charged for some people. I’m curious how you’ve been able to engage in dialogue with people that haven’t yet crossed the threshold of understanding. How have you been able to help them grow in understanding and have their own ‘aha moment’?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Christy, thank you for reading my post and for the question.

Engaging in dialogue about emotionally charged issues like systemic racism requires sensitivity and a strategic approach. I have encountered ridiculous dialogue, sometimes I do not know what to think of it. Yet, I believe, I have an obligation to listen and understand to have a dialogue that offers peace. I patiently listen to the question, I allow the person to come from their space (sometimes people only know what they hear and see in media), I usually ask open-ended questions, I acknowledge systematic racism exist and so forth.

How can I gauge the impact of sharing my experiences on systemic racism or racism in general? While I frequently share my stories to raise awareness, I recognize that I cannot control others’ feelings. So, I do not know if I have created a ‘Aha Moment’ for someone.

An interesting example involves misconceptions, where assumptions about my faith arise due to Malaysia (birth country) being predominantly Muslim. People express surprise that I am a church-goer, that I do not adhere to Muslim practices like celebrating Ramadan. They often inquire about my family’s sentiments regarding my church attendance, unaware that my family is Hindu and the fact that I am a convert. Perhaps, that is a ‘Aha Moment!

3. Graham English says:

Shela, really appreciated your post. I found the idea of transformative learning interesting. You wrote, “Adult learning involves taking the very things we believed and thought as a child, and letting critical reflection and teaching impact the transformation to what we should believe and understand now.” I found this to be an interesting juxtaposition with Jesus saying we must become like children to enter the kingdom of heaven. I wonder if sometimes we must unlearn some of our “adult-like” thinking.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Graham, your post just triggered an ‘Aha Moment’ for me by integrating scripture into the process of ‘unlearning,’ leading to transformation. I appreciate how you linked Matthew 18:3 to the concept of adult unlearning and returning to basics.

4. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thank you for this post Shela. I appreciate the way you draw upon your own experiences and its great to see how you are incorporating our earlier texts into the reading for this week.

I’m curious how the seminars and learning you did helped shape the Diversity program that you oversaw? How have you been able to help others learn transformationally?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan, thank you for reading my post and for the questions.
      The seminars provided a platform for me to interact with experts and professionals, fostering a deeper understanding of the complexities surrounding diversity issues. The knowledge gained from these sessions empowered me to evaluate my organization’s existing Diversity program and identify areas for improvement.
      I organized and hosted supplier diversity forums in my organization. I invited our internal executives and corporations that we do business with to dialogue with us about this topic. From there I created an action plan and implemented ways to promote supplier diversity and create opportunities to offer business to diverse suppliers.

Shela,
    I found it interesting how you shifted from birds and salmon to systemic racism in the US 😜, and … I wonder what you have learned personally since being in the US with regards to systemic racism and sociology?

At one point you wrote, “It did not occur to me that the concept of race itself is recognized as a social construct, meaning that the categories and distinctions we make based on race are not inherently biological but are created and shaped by societal factors.”

To this I say — YES!!! It reminded me of a conversation I had with my Dad.

Dad: you have 2 strikes against you, so you will have to work 3 times as hard.

Me: what are the 2 strikes?

Dad: you are a woman and you are a minority.

Me: oh.

In context to theshold concepts, what have you learned about societal expectations, social constructs and you being in the mix of that? Have there been aha moments of transformation for you?

You’re obviously a very accomplished professional female in your field. How have the social constructs helped you and how have they hindered you? And, trust me … I’m cringing at the social construct that Asians are viewed as the model minority.

You are an inspiration, sweet sister!

Hi Nancy, thank you for reading my post and for your kind comment. Wow! These are mind boggling questions. I wanted to take some time to reply to them.

Exploring threshold concepts related to societal expectations and social constructs has provided me with a deeper understanding of the intricate web of influences shaping our world. For me these understandings have led to transformative moments, fostering a more critical and reflective approach to my own role within society. For example, through my learning journey, I have come to understand that societal expectations are not arbitrary; they are shaped by a complex interplay of historical, cultural, and social factors. Another example, I have learned to critically reflect on my own biases, privileges, and assumptions. This self-awareness has been crucial in navigating and contributing to societal dynamics.

Regarding the second part of your question, my upbringing has been shaped by strong female role models, starting with my grandmother. From an early age, I was instilled with the belief that being a female is never a secondary status. Consequently, I have always resisted allowing gender to be an intimidating factor, and credit my grandmother with instilling confidence in me. Despite working in a predominantly male field, namely construction, I have never felt inferior in the conference room when surrounded by men.
    Throughout my career, I have witnessed positive changes in societal attitudes, resulting in increased opportunities for professional women. Legal and cultural shifts have played a significant role in enhancing access to education, employment, and leadership roles for women. While I have been fortunate to have male mentors who have supported me and facilitated my professional growth, I acknowledge that this may not be the universal experience for all women.
    Unfortunately, entrenched gender biases and stereotypes persist in many professional settings, posing potential obstacles for accomplished women. Stereotypes regarding leadership styles or the perceived suitability of certain professions for men can impede the progress of women in their careers. Personally, I have found that overcoming self-doubt has been a greater challenge to my career than external factors.
    In summary, while my personal experience has been marked by supportive influences and positive changes in societal attitudes, I recognize the ongoing barriers that persist for many professional women due to gender biases and stereotypes.

My goal is to inspire people! Thank you for acknowledging.