The Silk Road and Its Importance To The World

I remember studying the Silk Road in high school. We took maybe one class to talk about it and that was about it. To be honest, I have never really given it much thought. Most of the study of Christianity I have undertaken was the Western branch because that is where my denomination comes from. Of course, during my time in church history we did spend time discussing the Eastern branch but not in great detail, and certainly not the detail Peter Frankopan does in his book, The Silk Roads: A New History of the World.

Starting to read through this book is like taking a lens and looking at something you thought you knew, but finding out there was a completely hidden jewel that gives you a fuller look at something you already had a deep appreciation for. In The Economist a reviewer (anonymous) states “This is, to put it mildly, and ambitious book…Frankopan writes with clarity and memorable detail” [1]Frankopan takes a subject that has been written about ad nauseam, 75 pages worth on Amazon.com, and draws a different view. A view that looks to the East as the driving force, not just Rome, and by extension, Europe. 

The first chapter I want to focus on is The Slave Road. I struggle to understand humankind’s ability to hurt each other. Slave trade is so often discussed in terms of the African slave trade to the Americas, but it has deep roots throughout history. Frankopan describes the height of the Roman slave trade as needing “250,000-400,000 new slaves each year to maintain the slave population”[2] He continues in discussion of the markets in Europe and how one would be able to purchase many things from the East, spices, foods, silk, and the thing that helped to fuel this was the trade of slaves. In the selling of slaves one could line his pockets with an unending source of slaves to sell in the East. 

This map shows the countries where the most active slave trading happens

Lest one think that slavery is an unjust chapter in humanities history, a quick survey reveals approximately 40 million slaves in the world today. [3] Where the main use for slaves in the ancient world was for labor, the main slave trade today is focused in several different categories, about 5% are children, 50% is forced labor, another 45% are focused on either forced marriage or the sex industry.[4] In fact, it is interesting to note, the Silk Road still has a large portion of the worlds slaves. You see Uzbekistan with 1.2 million, China with 3.3 million, Pakistan with 2.1 million, and India with 18.3 million slaves. [5] 

The Road to a Christian East was also a intriguing chapter. It starts with the discussion of a changing client and how that forces serious changes in what was happening in the world of religion. “In Europe, this was evidenced by rising sea levels and the emergence of malaria in the North Sea region, while in Asia from the start of the fourth century sharply reduced salinity in the Aral sea, markedly different vegetation on the steppes (evident from high-resolution pollen analyses) and new patterns of glacier advances in the Tian Shan range all sho fundamental shifts in global climatic change” [6] Because of the shortages of food and products caused by the changes, it allowed the tribes on the steppes to start to assert themselves. In the face of overwhelming attacks, Rome and Persia started working together to fight off the Huns. It is really awesome to see that through the difficulties and working with a group who was a completely different religion, the Persians had turned to Zoastrianism, that Christ’s message of salvation would be moved into the East. As Christians we need to be able to see that even in the face of overwhelming oppression from the world, God will overcome. In the midst of all that is happening in the world today, to many congregations are wanting to turn inward, make the walls bigger instead of seeing the opportunity afforded in difficult times to move into the dark places with the light of Christ. 

Maybe what the Western church needs is some persecution to make us rely on Christ even more. When life is relatively easy then it is easy to get caught up the the things that do not matter, music styles, carpet and the like.

One more nugget from this weeks reading. We like to think the worship wars are a new thing, that one group should be capitulating to another groups desire. I leave you with this quote, “John Chrysostom, archbishop of Constantinople at the turn of the fourth century, urged that the liturgy should be more exciting, complaining that it was difficult for Christians to compete with the theatricality of the synagogue where drums, lyres, harps and other musical instruments made for entertainment during worship” [7] As Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun.

[1] Anonymous. “Brilliant Threads; Asia’s History.” The Economist 416, no. 8952 (2015): 70-71.

[2] Frankopan, Peter. The Silk Roads: A New History of the World. New York: Vintage Books., 2017. 116.

[3] Fisher, Max. “This Map Shows Where the World’s 30 Million Slaves Live. There Are 60,000 in the U.S.” The Washington Post. October 17, 2013. Accessed October 25, 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89a1d291ec83.

[4] “What Is Modern Slavery?” Anti-Slavery International. Accessed October 27, 2018. https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/.

[5] McCarthy, Joe. “Yes, Slavery Still Exists – These Countries Are the Worst Offenders.” Global Citizen. May 22, 2017. Accessed October 27, 2018. https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/these-5-countries-58-worlds-slaves/.

[6] Frankopan, Peter. The Silk Roads: A New History of the World. New York: Vintage Books., 2017. 45.

[7] Ibid. 57. 

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

6 responses to “The Silk Road and Its Importance To The World”

Hi Jason,

I appreciated your commenting on the “worship wars.” Unfortunately I still see this in the many churches I visit today. The consumerism drives me nuts. Preferences are more important to many people than salvation!

Well done discussing slavery, and Christ’s victory! My favorite quote from you was this, “As Christians we need to be able to see that even in the face of overwhelming oppression from the world, God will overcome.”

Keep writing well, my Brother.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      The really sad thing is both sides of the aisle so to speak have tremendous issue with the other. We do both praise and hymns in our church because, both are worthy. I always tell everyone, you may not like the style but listen to the words and you will hear scripture and that can only be a good thing.

2. Hi Jason,

Yes, Solomon’s refrain was a consistent theme in Frankopan, that there is nothing new under the sun.

I was impressed while walking through Spain that the three monotheistic religions lived for centuries in harmony, side by side, mainly with respect and tolerance when the Moors ruled the Iberian Peninsula. But as Christian Spain ascended, it was Christians that began driving out the Muslims, and forcing Jews to convert or be exiled. The cathedral in Sevilla was formerly a mosque and is now a church.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,
      Yeah Christian leadership over the centuries has much to account for, the Inquisition is certainly not one of the things to be proud of for sure. Of course, the other monotheistic religions also have their issues throughout history as well. I have often said I am not a religious person because that is where man gets in trouble, I prefer to think of my self as a child of God who is just trying to be obedient.

Jason,

Thanks for your post. I think it is valuable that we continue to investigate our preconceived notions about reality. We all tend to be myopic in our views forgetting that not everyone shares the ones we hold so dear. I think the US church is particularly bad about that. How do you attempt to lead your church in a way that encourages them to develop new and broader perspectives?

Jason, awesome post. That was a really interesting connection to the slave trade and makes me remember ot be cautious of the dark under belly that often follows somewhere closely behind.