The Red Coats Are Coming

During his midnight ride, Paul Revere alerted the colonial militia that the British troops were coming. However, in many countries there was not a person or warning of what was to come by invasion of the British Empire. We see many countries in Africa and throughout the continents of the world that were impacted by Westernization of a dominating superpower in a third world county. With this we can discuss, debate, show evidence on both sides that the British Empire had a negative or positive effect on that culture they dominated but also secured law and order. An economy was established and civil liberties advantages to those of a privileged class of people.

Summary

I appreciated this book as it took in perspectives of the positive and negative impacts of colonialism and impact of westernization. However, I believe most people and critics have missed this point in Colonialism. Biggar’s real concern is not with the past but with the present.[1] Denigrating colonialism, he claims, is an “important way of corroding faith in the west.” Biggar takes his agenda from the Empire’s critics. He deals in turn with each of the principal criticisms, starting with slavery and going on to address racism, cultural aggression, population displacement, economic exploitation, authoritarianism and political violence. He confronts the famous horror stories: the Opium Wars, the Benin expedition, the Amritsar massacre, the suppression of the Mau Mau in Kenya. In each case, he sets out the historical context, which is so often absent. He acknowledges the respects in which the charges are justified, but points out in what respects they are unjustified or exaggerated. There are a few places where Biggar may be accused of tendentious selection or special pleading. But in general, his approach is objective and he fairly addresses the contrary arguments. We can conclude from this book that things are not so black and white.

Personal Learning

Throughout Beggars learnings he came to this conclusion which profoundly impacted me about conflict in colonial nations:

1. People will learn and grow together
  2. People will leave and find like minded people
  3. People will war until they conquer

How simple this conclusion has made a great impact on my understanding of what many of us experienced through Covid. Many churches, communities, and nations suffered great division. In Washington State we had what was called the great exodus, where over 150,000 people moved out of Washington State and 50,000 students were pulled from public school. We see in this time step #2 happened where many people live in fear that there will be a civil war in this next presidential election step #3 that Beggar pointed out that people will war until they conquer. I am praying and hoping that as a nation we will come back to step #1. In fall 2023 at Oxford listening to Simon Walker speak, he came to the conclusion that “men will learn how to be violent again.[2] Walker got my attention with this bold conclusion. He went on to say, “that nations, leaders, and men need to war until it gets out of their system for 3o-40 years and need to fulfill that desire again.”

In Reggie Dabbs and John Drivers book Not So Black and White An Invitation to Honest Conversations, a pastor shares the story of the first thing he taught his son when teaching him how to drive was what to do when he gets pulled over.[3] It was not safety items, or check in the mirror. It was a father having an honest conversation on how to stay alive when getting pulled over. I was so distraught by this I called my friend Daron and talked with him about it. 

I have a friend who is a missionary and is anxiously trying to get back to S. Sudan before government elections happen. At the village where he built a school, over 120 children attend. He is worried that the local villages on opposing political parties will masacre out the school children and use the new building as a military camp. He is preparing himself to be a martyr and wonders if anyone will ever know, or care. As I pray for him, I wonder if this would happen is S. Sudan if it was under British rule? I wonder if I will see him next year at the food ministry, or perhaps I will be praying for another grieving widow? I believe Beggar was drawing attention to matters that need to be addressed today so we don’t add another chapter to his book.

[1] Biggar, Nigel. Colonialism. [edition unavailable]. HarperCollins Publishers, 2022. Web. 15 Mar. 2024.

[2] Walker, Simon. Public Teaching, Christ Church, Oct. 2023.

[3] Reggie Dabbs & John Driver Not so Black and White. Zondervan, October 12, 2021.

Greg McMullen

Pastor Greg resides in Lake Stevens WA and pastors a small rural church in the Machias area . The Well Church has a large food ministry in which many different cultures come each week to gather food and counsel. The Church has a small school that is bearing good fruit. Pastor Greg has a large family of 10 children and enjoys fishing and hiking.

10 responses to “The Red Coats Are Coming”

1. Good post Greg,
    This world is very unsafe. Your friend heading to South Sudan is brave. Given the challenges there, Sudan might remain unstable for several years.

I agree with Jean about South Sudan… it is very unsafe. It has been for a long time. It’s a dangerous place for a missionary to live and work. I’m joining you in lifting him and the school children in prayer right now.

Thank you for sharing Greg. I had to memorize the poem, “The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 8th grade. This book has brought to mind that poem, the musical “Hamilton,” and the Revolutionary War. As you said, “During his midnight ride, Paul Revere alerted the colonial militia that the British troops were coming. However, in many countries there was not a person or warning of what was to come by invasion of the British Empire.” And it is important to remember that not all of the results of colonialism were negative. I think far too often our current society judges the past through a modern day lens to our detriment. We easily ignore the positive and highlight the negative. I wonder if this is a way to overlook the things in our own lives which need addressing? Do we find it easier to judge the past so we do not need to confront the atrocities of the present?

Great summary and examples. I think you modeled the approach of the book by highlighting the complexity of the situations. I also gravitated toward the idea that our understanding of colonialism determines how we understand the involvement of nations in the present. I was drawn to your last point about Sudan. We have to operate with a universal imperative to protect certain values regardless of nationality. Thank you for your post.

5. Chad,

Bless you, thank you for reading my blog. I have to say I have been so impressed with your blogs and growth through this program. You bring up excellent points and perspectives.

6. mm Daron George says:

Whenever I read your post you always seem to bring that pastoral perspective. Your concern for your missionary friend heading to South Sudan and the fact that you were pondering whether British rule would have mitigated the risks of political violence in the region.

“Beggar was drawing attention to matters that need to be addressed today so we don’t add another chapter to his book.”

If you were to add another chapter, what would it be about?