The Lion, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man (Singa-Scarecrow-Orang Timah)

In the book, [1] “Leader-smithing, Revealing The Trade Secrets of Leadership,” Eve Poole uses the metaphor of blacksmithing to explore leadership, suggesting that leaders can be shaped and perfected like metal. To me, it meant people can be trained, shaped and transformed potentially to take on leadership positions. Poole validates my assumption in her book. She contends that successful leaders are not born but rather crafted through deliberate development and practice. Her book examines different facets of leadership development, highlighting the significance of self-awareness, resilience, and authenticity. Poole uncovers that the key to effective leadership is the skillful balance of strength and vulnerability, the forging of connections with others, and the commitment to ongoing adaptation and learning.

Though I was able to capture the spirit of the book, this week, I was struggling to be organized with my thoughts. My ducks were not in a row – goodness! I did not even know where my ducks were. My mind was all over the place; family, work, ministry, reading assignments and all in between. I could not focus on my reading. I was aware of the situation. I had to be honest with myself and knew that I needed to get it together. At this point I did not even know what to blog.

On Tuesday, I paused everything and sat down to pray, seeking to calm my mind and simply be in the presence of the Holy Spirit. I invited my greatest Helper, the Holy Spirit, into all the thoughts clouding my mind, especially fear, wondering if I could truly do this.
[2] Psalm 61:2 came to mind. “When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” I handed everything I felt to God, and I went to sleep.
I woke up at 1:00 a.m. – straight away, something said, blog about character – definitely from the Holy Spirit. I felt a sense of peace and proclaimed that God is good!

[3] “The Lion needs courage; the Scarecrow needs a brain; the Tin Man needs a heart. A good leader needs all three – and these characters also serve to represent the history of thinking about leadership.” (8). [4] “Character protects your future ability to lead because it is the very thing that will save you when everything else is stripped away.” (47). One modern day leader I admire who exemplified these characters is [5] Jacinda Ardern, the former Prime Minister of New Zealand, known for her compassionate leadership style and handling of crises such as the Christchurch mosque shootings and the COVID-19 pandemic.

This takes me to the Old Testament, the book of [6] Nehemiah. As Poole claims, successful leaders are not born but rather crafted through deliberate development and practice. Nehemiah was a cupbearer to the king, thus was not groomed to be a construction project manager. He was summoned to rebuild the broken walls of Jerusalem; he did not volunteer. Yet he led the Israelites to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and completed his project in 52 days. [7] His leadership characteristics:
 He was a man of prayer who continuously sought God for guidance, direction and strength in every situation.
 He used his influence with King Artaxerxes to obtain resources and permission for his project.
 He had a vision to rebuild the broken walls of Jerusalem and he shared it with his people.
 He was humble and willing to learn.
 He focused on the main goal, to rebuild the walls, he did not get distracted by issues around him.
 He collaborated with his people, he motivated them to overcome challenges and opposition.
 He was adaptable and strategic in dealing with different situations and problems.
 He made decisions and protected his people from enemies.
 He listened to his people and answered their concerns.
 He was a charitable leader.
 He celebrated success with his people.

Nehemiah was aware of his limitations; he was true to who he was; the king’s cupbearer who never lifted a brick or hammer to build something in his life. His attractive leadership characteristic is resilience; his ability to bounce back from adversity, adapt to change, and overcome challenges. He exemplified the capacity to withstand and recover from difficult situations and maintained a sense of well-being and optimism in the face of adversity.

It is a common understanding amongst Christian leaders that Nehemiah is a notable example of a transformational leader who inspired his people to work together for a common cause.

Whether is our modern-day leader such as Jacinda Ardern or Nehemiah from the Old Testament, these leaders have shown resilience and strength of character in their leadership roles, which has helped them navigate difficult situations and inspire trust and confidence in their abilities.

In conclusion, [8] “Character is not about doing but about being. It is not an activity, but an intrinsic property. That is why, when a kind person is catty, we say ‘that is out of character'”.

[1] Eve Poole, Leadersmithing; Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. (New York, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017).

[2] Psalm 61:2.

[3] Eve Poole, Leadersmithing; Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. (New York, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017), 8.

[5] Wallenfeldt, J.. “Jacinda Ardern.” Encyclopedia Britannica, January 27, 2024. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jacinda-Ardern.

[6] See Nehemiah 1 to Nehemiah 6. All citations of scripture in this blog are taken from
NIV 1991 version unless otherwise noted.

[7] https://jesusleadershiptraining.com/leadership-qualities-of-nehemiah-nehemiah-leaders-leader/October 9, 2023.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

12 responses to “The Lion, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man (Singa-Scarecrow-Orang Timah)”

1. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thank you Shela. I appreciate the way you have modeled faith as a foundation for as you experience the overwhelming moments of life and all the various responsibilities you have. That shows great character.

I like your list of Nehemiah’s character and I appreciate your note on his reslience. As a parent of teenagers and someone who wants to empower others, what are some ways you think I could cultivate resilience in the people that I am leading?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan, thank you for your kind words.
      The first thing that comes to mind is leading by example: model resilience in your own life. Demonstrate how you handle challenges and setbacks with a positive attitude and determination. I recall my parents—they faced difficulties and overcame them, even if they shielded my sister and me from the full extent of their struggles. My husband, too, embodies resilience. His vibrant spirit and adaptability inspire me; he always bounces back, regardless of the situation.
      As a teenager, my grandmother empowered me. Her confidence-building words—simple yet impactful—echo in my mind: ‘You can do this’ or ‘Just do it.’ For her, it was no big deal. Often, I carry that same attitude, remembering her words.
      Remember, resilience and positivity are contagious—by embodying them, we inspire others to do the same.

2. Nancy Blackman says:

Shela,
    You had me at Nehemiah. That was a book and leader I studied for some time during the completion of my Bachelor’s degree in Leadership. I was always amazed at his bravery as the cupbearer who used his position to bend the ear of the King in order to get help for his cause.

When you think about your role as a leader and the character traits you have, how do those line up with your passions?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Nancy,
      Thank you for your questions. I love Nehemiah – greatest project manager ever!
      I relate to Nehemiah’s prayerful life, his persistency and his resilience. I go to God for everything, and I always experience His hands upon my situations. I pray even for parking space!

3. Adam Cheney says:

Shela,
    I am currently reading Nehemiah this week and was thinking of him and his leadership as well. He certainly was a man of character. There is one part in there that one of his enemies are said to have familial relationships with some of the leadership around Nehemiah. I imagine it must have been very tough to navigate that tightrope in a communal culture. As you reflect on Poole’s book, what is one aspect of leadership that you feel you have been doing really well?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Adam. thank you for reading my post!
      I relate to Poole’s emphasizes on apprenticeship model for leadership development. Like a skilled craftsperson, leaders learn through daily practice and experience. By embracing the daily grind and focusing on practical skills, leaders become more job-ready and better equipped to face challenges. This is how I am in a leadership position, hands-on, on-job training and learning.

4. Daren Jaime says:

Shela! Thank you for sharing. We don’t talk much about character, but thanks for spotlighting it in your blog reflection. I am curious to know, looking at her critical incidents- which one spoke to you the most as a personal strength?

5. mm Chris Blackman says:

Loved your post Shela. I havent thought of Nehemiah’s leadership skills in a long time, but your writing and thoughts on it were spot on. Thank you for the refresher! I will admit I am intrigued about people not being born as leaders, as I always felt that I was. No one taught me how to be, I just did. But I do agree that leaders can be taught. When were you introduced to teachings about leadership?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

HI Chris, thank you for reading my post!
      As the eldest in my family, I was consistently asked to take responsibility, to set a positive example, and adhering to certain behavioral norms (like avoiding excessive playfulness). These expectations became part of my identity.
      Interestingly, my career trajectory followed a similar pattern. Without actively seeking it, I found myself consistently promoted to managerial positions. It was as though leadership roles naturally gravitated toward me. Looking back, I realize that this path began early—I was pushed into leadership at a young age, and I simply carried that responsibility forward.
      Reflecting on it all, I cannot help but believe that perhaps I was indeed born with leadership qualities. Whether it’s nature or nurture, the role of a leader feels like an intrinsic part of who I am.

6. Jeff Styer says:

Shela,
    Nicely written. Glad you found your ducks and were able to command them enough to write this post. It was a crazy week for me as well, I felt behind all week long.
    I had not thought about Nehemiah in this context. I wonder if I would be able to survive and thrive like he did if I were in a similar situation today. I also had not considered the characters from the Wizard of Oz. A good leader does need all three, heart, brain, and courage, to lead well. Getting to know you, I believe that you possess all three, but which, if any, do you feel was harder to bring forth?

7. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Jeff, thank you for reading my post. Great question – I believe it is hard for me to operate with my heart. I am a thinker.
    As a thinker, I discovered the concept of emotional intelligence approximately 15 years ago. For instance, empathy is an aspect I consciously remind myself to practice. While I prioritize accountability, I sometimes overlook the importance of demonstrating empathy.