The Commodification of Information

Doctorow’s book left my head swimming in a sea of I’s and O’s!  I felt like he was trying to help me to grab hold of a wet greasy fish that was very much alive and wiggling to get free!  I usually take some notes as I work through a book but at the end I found I did not take many notes.  In fact, I really struggled to find a handle onto which I could open a door for interaction.  Not that it wasn’t intriguing material, I just did not know how to engage it.  However, after thinking about the whole book, not just the parts, it dawned on me that Doctorow is profiting from the commodification of information.  One of his strategies, in brief, is to give away ebooks in order to spread the notoriety of his name and writing so that more paper books will be sold for his profit.  He writes, “I sell my printed books by giving away electronic books, lawyers and architects and consultants are  in the information business and they drum up trade with Google ads, and Google is nothing but an info-broker – but none of us rely on curtailing access to information.  Like a bottled water company, we compete with free by supplying a superior service, not by eliminating the competition.”*

I found his writing about ebooks particularly interesting since I often prefer that format.  Ebooks are easier for me to carry and since I travel a good bit, that is important.  I also like to take notes and highlight and I prefer an easy way of returning to the note and highlight.  Ebooks gives me that easy path to return to those cogent points when needed.  I was challenged by Doctorow’s definition of a book.  “‘I take the view that the book is a ‘practice’ – a collection of social and economic and artistic activities – and not an ‘object.’” (Pg. 111).  The ramification of that definition as it relates to buying and selling are far reaching.  When are those activities owned?  When should copying them be illegal?  Aren’t many of those activities being copied as a daily course of life with impunity?  Under what circumstances is one singled out and sued while others, even corporate giants, go free while violating the barriers thousands of times daily?

Perhaps the quintessential example of the commodification of information and social media is Facebook.  I couldn’t agree more with Doctorow on this point.  I really chuckled at his comments: “Emails from Facebook aren’t helpful messages, they’re eyeball bait … . Facebook has all the social graces of a nose-picking, hyperactive six-year-old … . pure crack for a significant proportion of Internet users.” (Pg. 180).  Wow!  I don’t know Doctorow’s faith ideas but one thing is for sure, he knows that the depravity of man is one of the sure aspects upon which to make money and he nails Facebook for their adeptness to tantalize the lower nature.

I tended to agree, to the extent that I understood, with Doctorow.  As technology marches forward new ways of handling information without dampening availability will continue to challenge.  And when making profit is thrown into that journey the water becomes more murky.  He closes the book with an interesting statement that bears some thoughtful consideration, “I think our social contracts are stronger than our technology.  They’re the strongest bonds we have.  We don’t aim telescopes through each other’s windows, because only creeps do that.” (Pg. 209-210).  I agree with his statement but it is only true in an idealistic vacuum.  The use of technology does not take place in a vacuum but in the marketplace of reality.  It is subservient to those who control it whether they are ‘right’ or not.  And this is not an argument for democracy!  Horror of horrors to put depraved humanity in control!  Is our world marching ever higher on the moral highway with technology in tow as if it is only being used for good?

Doctorow closes his book by claiming to be optimistic.  I am too.  But, perhaps, not for the same reasons.  He believes we get to “choose the future we want to live in.” (Pg. 210).  As I view the world stage I do not see more opportunity to exercise that choice.  Our choices are diminishing.  I am optimistic because there is another stage whose curtains are retracting where only good choices will prevail!

Doctorow, Cory. Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future. 1st ed. San Francisco: Tachyon Publications, 2008.  Pg. 61.

David Toth