“That Smell!” Shaping the Church: The Promise of Implicit Theology (Percy)

Summary

“Christianity is about much more than beliefs, propositions and formally sanctioned practices. Indeed, this is a deep misunderstanding about the nature of Christian life. The belief that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not an arid set of directives, but rather a faith that is embedded in a community of praxis that makes beliefs work, and gives shape and meaning to the lives that believe. So religious belief is not simply some kind or arcane metaphysics; it is, rather, performed – much as one might perform a play.”1

What is it that makes this statement so striking to me? To begin, the author is a priest with the Church of England and Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. These contexts are not necessarily known for operating outside of doctrinal statements, propositions and the “formally sanctioned practices” of the church. But more striking for me as a Pentecostal is that this sounds very much like a Pentecostal position. Look at that second sentence—”The belief that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not an arid set of directives, but rather a faith that is embedded in a community of praxis that makes beliefs work…” This proclamation is Pentecostal in nature and position. In fact, though the years Pentecostals have been cited for what was considered operating outside of the beliefs, propositions and formally sanctioned practices of the church. So, to read this premise from a highly respected academic and a leader in the Church of England is, for me, both striking and quite refreshing.

Percy’s point is that those expressions that shape the church today are not necessarily only those which are historically understood as shaping the church. Those “explicit” expressions of faith including doctrine, theology, traditional form, and practice, though a part of the praxis of the church, are not necessarily those that are driving and shaping the church. It is those “implicit” components, those “hidden meanings in structures and practices that on the surface appear to be benign and innocent,” and yet under the surface, are a powerful force in the church. 2  For example, the “dress codes, manners, the management of strong feelings, the moderation of the collective emotional temperature – all have a bearing on the emerging vision of God within each congregation and denomination,” or even the scent of the church convey and inform. 3  Percy focuses his exploration of implicit theology on the sacraments of the church, the church—particularly church growth, and finally the ministry in general. Within each, he looks for the “implicit” that is shaping the church of today.

Application

There is so there is so much that I could highlight in Shaping the Church. But for some reason, I can’t get the scent of the country church out of my mind—“The smell of a country church (flowers, polish, of old prayer books and a slightly musty hint) is a reassuring scent—one that is so deep—that it conveys a sense that informs our theology and shapes our ecclesial horizons.”4 He’s talking about smell here—and how it conveys a sense that informs and shapes the church. Smell!

In the last 20 plus years, I have been in hundreds of churches in as many cities in the United States. Early on in our travels my wife and I both began to realize that churches we visited have their own distinct scent or smell. In Percy’s case, he mentions that there are certain smells in a church that are—in a faith sense—reassuring. 4 However, I would add that, on the other side of the coin, there are also churches that have a scent that is less reassuring.

I can’t quite describe the scent, but it is one that is immediately recognizable as conveying an image of a community who’s dreams of a bright future have faded into the distant past and are blurred by its present reality. It’s a rather heavy scent. It is a fragrance, not of fresh cut flowers, or polish on the pews that will soon be filled with the community of believers. It is a fragrance that is neither sweet nor savory, neither warm nor cold, light or dark. It is “that smell!”

Thankfully, it is not a common scent in the churches we visit, but even one or two experiences is enough never to forget that smell. The message conveyed by scent is often the first signal we receive, and the memory it produces can last a lifetime. Remember the smell of those warm chocolate chip cookies! Could it be that church growth or revitalization can begin with changing the scent of the church? I’m not speaking of incense or even flowers, in fact, I’m not sure it can be expressed in word. Still, there is a sense the smell of a church conveys meaning on many levels, including the past, present, and future of the church.

I would argue with Percy that scent conveys and therefore informs and shapes. Consequently, if the church is shaped by more than just the explicit; the smell of a church is not a trivial matter. Next time you visit a church, give it a try. What is the scent of that church saying to you?

1. Martyn Percy. Shaping the Church: The Promise of Implicit Theology (Explorations in Practical, Pastoral and Empirical Theology). New edition ed. Routledge, 2010, 4.
  2. Ibid., 2.
  3. Ibid., 172.
  4. Ibid., 6.

Jim Sabella

10 responses to ““That Smell!” Shaping the Church: The Promise of Implicit Theology (Percy)”

1. Mary Walker says:

Wow, Jim, that is really a beautiful challenge.
    Years ago we visited England and we went to a small country church in the Cotswolds (sp?) and the first thing we noticed was the smell of ancient wooden structures. This church was built in the 1500’s and it was the smell that cemented in place all of the incredible history of the church and the people and God’s faithfulness in working among His people. Maybe it was so special because our churches over here are not so old – I guess I am agreeing with you about what important things can be conveyed by smell. Intriguing and thoughtful post; thank you.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Mary. I agree 100%. I do like the smell in of an old church. It is unique and in many ways encouraging. Like you said, here is a structure and community that has been in existence for centuries. My son and his wife were married in a 700-year-old church in Prague. It was old, but the smell was wonderfully alive.

On the other hand, the smell of and “OLD” church is different. I can’t quite explain it but it has “that smell” that says no one cares any longer. In fact, it can be a newer structure but still have the “OLD” rather sterile smell. It makes me wonder if discouragement has its own scent.

2. Jennifer Dean-Hill says:

Jim- great post! You are so right about the smells. The last church we actively attended, was a long-established Methodist church, but struggling to be culturally relevant and friendly. The one thing I regularly complained about to my husband was the smell of the place. Aside from some glaring leadership issues, I also left because of the smell! Every time I walked in the foyer, it smelled old, musty, and dingy which reflected the spirit of the place exactly. Smells are huge, which is why I always have a cupcake scent in my office. It is my signature scent and my clients often come in saying, “I just love this smell in here!” This puts them at ease and helps them feel comfortable to share. Fun fact, the scent of a man is often a major contributing factor for women in mate selection. Men’s cologne is a worthy investment. 🙂

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Jennifer. I am convinced that smell conveys important messages, even in the church. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me wonder if we approach smell and attitude in the church the same way, we become so used to the smell that we no longer smell it.

3. Katy Drage Lines says:

What a connection, Jim!
    Here are a few notes I took from our Advance lecture with Dr Percy:
    Power of smell. Smells matter.
    Polycarp, as he was burned at the stake, “smelled of freshly baked bread” fragrant offering, sacrifice. He is bread
    Bread = home = Christ
    The dean of Christ Church, Oxford sees and understands the world through smell, sensory. He loves studying rhetoric & the power of words. And has been known to write poetry.”

I’m glad you grasped on to this aspect of Dr Percy’s text, as scent is often so subtle yet conveys a powerful message. Boxwood. Eastern spices. Garlic. Smoke of a particular wood fire in Kenya. All bring me back to a specific memory.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Katy. For me, smell is a powerful force for remembering and even experiencing all over again. I agree too that it conveys powerful messages. After reading Percy, I’m wondering why we don’t consider it more in the context of the church. I’m not talking about incense but the general scent of a church building. How does it impact, for example, church growth or even church attendance? Would be an interesting study.

4. Chip Stapleton says:

Jim,
    Great post! Love the exploration of scent….. and I know that smell you are speaking of…. I wonder, is that smell the olfactory byproduct of a loss of hope?

P.S. if you ever make it to Boston, you can visit our church and I promise the smell you are most likely to encounter is that of savory, delicious Cameroonian food that somehow shows up almost every Sunday!

5. Kristin Hamilton says:

Oh Jim, your post took me on a “scent” journey through the churches in my history! The rich smell of furniture polish on the old, dark wood pews of my childhood church lingers in my memory, as do the “smells and bells” of the Catholic church in our neighborhood I used to sneak in to as a pre-teen because I was curious about mass. Those are sacred places for me, just like the feel of a cold cement floor (with carpet runners) dappled by the light coming through stained glass windows. Beautiful.