Thank you, Steven Pressfield!

Written by: on December 6, 2023

Reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield comes at a pivotal point in this doctoral program where the very war this book describes, tangibly shows itself for those of us who have fallen prey to the enemy throughout the semester. Yes. I confess that procrastination often becomes my unwanted friend. Though we can all resonate with the thought that there is much “unlived life within us.”[1] we put off, again and again, what can help that unlived life unfold.

Pressfield begins with the premise of naming and defining the enemy:  “Resistance”.[2] Resistance is not only toxic, but Pressfield sees it as the “most toxic force on the planet.”[3] This negative, self-generated, self-perpetuating force resides within us.[4]

Pressfield claims that to yield to resistance “deforms our spirit.”[5]  I imagine if psychologist and noted Spellbound author, Daniel Z. Lieberman, were to discuss this topic with Pressfield, he might describe the enemy as a part of our powerful unconscious as it can be “destructive, producing overwhelming emotions that cloud rational judgment…ruin a person’s life, and (produce) desires that run counter to the values of the conscious mind.”[6]  Yet, if noted author and creative, Austin Kleon, were added to the conversation, his counter quip might be to  “practice productive procrastination”[7] and he might even ask: “Is the enemy truly always the enemy or might he have redeeming value?”

I believe all three have much to teach us in this realm. According to Lieberman, taking one’s mind off of the task at hand can actually engage the subconscious to help spurn thinking[8]…which could very well resonate with Kleon’s thought on productive procrastination. Having all three in the room could possibly provide a new “Inklings”[9] experience.

The winning part of the book for me comes as Pressfield gives ways and means to combat the enemy. Using the terminology of an amateur vs pro, Pressfield wittingly crafts a way to overcome the enemy. Some of the key thoughts for me were:

1. Whereas, “the amateur believes he must first overcome his fear” …so that he “can do his work,” the professional knows that fear can never be overcome.”[10] You simply need to do it afraid.
  2. The amateur does not love the game enough, “The professional loves it so much he dedicates his life to it.” [11]
  3. “The professional…understands delayed gratification.”[12]
  4. “A pro views her work as a craft, not an art.” [13]
  5. “A sign of an amateur is over glorification of and preoccupation with the mystery.”[14]
  6. “The professional is prepared at a deep level to confront his own sabotage.”[15]
  7. “The professional learns to recognize envy-driven criticism and take it for what it is: the supreme compliment. The critic hates most that which he would have done himself if he had had the guts.”[16]

Pressfield ends with how important it is to partner with the “invisible psychic forces that support and sustain us in our journey toward ourselves” and terms them as possible muses and angels.[17]  As followers of Christ, muses and angels are weak in comparison to the calling and purpose that drive us in all we set our minds to. This external force is God himself. He calls us to deny ourselves and follow Him in whatever work of art He calls us to. This dying to self adds a very different dimension.

Gene Edward Veith Jr. in his book, “God at Work” states, “But work that is done in faith has a different significance than work that is done in unbelief…Christians see the ordinary labors of life to be charged with meaning.”[18] The chief end for us is to, in Pressfield’s terms, be professional at loving God and loving others as yourself. To add to the Inkling discussions “Is the enemy just our own resistance or is there yet another enemy that prowls around like a lion waiting to devour us and render us prey to all the items Pressfield lists? (1 Peter 5:8). For the Christ follower, what is most important is what will last for eternity. This hope of eternity is set in every heart. (“He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11, NIV)

So thank you, Steven Pressfield, for reminding me to keep keeping on, with eternal purposes in mind. To simply keep diligently working…day after day[19]…with God’s territory as my context.[20]

[1] Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles (New York City, NY: Black Irish Entertainment, Inc., 2002), The Unlived Chapter.

[2] Steven Pressfield.

[3] Steven Pressfield., The Unlived Chapter.

[4] Steven Pressfield., 8.

[5] Steven Pressfield., The Unlived Chapter.

[6] Daniel Z. Lieberman, Spellbound: Modern SCIENCE, Ancient MAGIC, and the Hidden Potential of the UNCONSCIOUS MIND (Dallas, TX: BenBella Books, Inc., n.d.), 17.

[7] Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative (New York: Workman Pub. Co, 2012), 65.

[8] Daniel Z. Lieberman.

[9] “Who Were the Inklings? | Looking for the King: An Inklings Novel – Available from Ignatius Press,” accessed December 6, 2023, https://loc.ignatius.com/looking-for-the-king/who-were-the-inklings.htm.

[10] Steven Pressfield, 79.

[11] Steven Pressfield, 63.

[12] Steven Pressfield, 75.

[13] Steven Pressfield, 78.

[14] Steven Pressfield, 78.

[15] Steven Pressfield, 82.

[16] Steven Pressfield, 93.

[17] Steven Pressfield, 106.

[18] Gene Edwards Veith Jr., God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life (Wheaton, Ill: Crossway, 2002), 61.

[19] Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles, n.d., 108.

[20] Steven Pressfield, 156.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

14 responses to “Thank you, Steven Pressfield!”

Esther I love how you “saved” this book, reconciling its purposes to our faith. I already loved the book, now I have something value-added!

• Esther Edwards says:

Tim,
      “Saved” the book. Too funny!
      I guess Jason is accomplishing his job. With all of our syntopical engagement, it’s funny how the mind begins to draw links everywhere.

You connected Steven Pressfield with the works of Austin Kleon, and I couldn’t agree more.

Pressfield and Kleon are authors I read over and over and over – each year I get my annual “butt-kicking” from them.

Right now…as I am deep in “resistance” I am re-reading Austin Kleon’s “Keep Going: 10 ways to stay creative in good times and bad.”

• Esther Edwards says:

I’ll have to order the book… Anything to help the resistance mode and get this done. The whole family is coming in and I haven’t touched the decorations yet.

I really like how you artfully connected Liberman and Kleon with Pressfield. ESPECIALLY the part where you say: “I believe all three have much to teach us in this realm.” Agreed! It would be interesting to get them together and have them wrestle through where they overlap and where they may deviate. Nice syntopical assessment!

• Esther Edwards says:

Thanks, Jen. Thankful for an easy read for the last book and a little added motivational kick. Have a wonderful Christmas season with your family!

4. Cathy Glei says:

Thank you Esther for your post!!! You get the record for cited notes. 🙂. You mentioned how God calls us to deny ourselves and follow Him in whatever work of art He calls us to. This dying to self adds a very different dimension. Jesus words, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me” are promising in this doctoral journey when we experience so much resistance.

• Esther Edwards says:

Too funny! I did not even realize how many citations I had. Guess that means I pretty much quoted from the book. Ha! ha!
      Have a wonderful Christmas season with your family!

Thank you, your post was full of the wisdom that I needed to hear today! Especially “You simply need to do it afraid.” and “The professional… understands delayed gratification.” Even as I was writing up my 3 concept pitches in the workshop report, I was thinking “How can I actually do this?” After a few hours of spiraling, my husband (thank you God, for my wise husband!) reminded me that I don’t have to accomplish any of it immediately. I need to get comfortable with delayed gratification because this is going to be a long process. One step at a time. Thank you, Esther, for the reminder!

• Esther Edwards says:

Kim,
      Ah, yes. One step at a time. I need that reminder too. I have been dragging my feet but am hitting the last paper head on today. through the weekend. So appreciate having you in our peer group and always encouraging the rest of us with your diligence.

Esther I love this part.

“Pressfield ends with how important it is to partner with the “invisible psychic forces that support and sustain us in our journey toward ourselves” and terms them as possible muses and angels.[17] As followers of Christ, muses and angels are weak in comparison to the calling and purpose that drive us in all we set our minds to. This external force is God himself. He calls us to deny ourselves and follow Him in whatever work of art He calls us to. This dying to self adds a very different dimension.

Not sure how Pressfield would respond to this, but certainly DLGPers have a different response.

For the Christ follower, what is most important is what will last for eternity. This hope of eternity is set in every heart. (“He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11, NIV)

As we pierce the veil that hides our NPO’s from reality, I think our motivation to honor Him, will clear away the vestiges of fear and resistance.

Shalom..

So true, Russell. I need those vestiges to be removed continually.
    We are on to the finish line for this semester!

“The chief end for us is to, in Pressfield’s terms, be professional at loving God and loving others as yourself”

Oh this was a powerful statement…it seems so hard to be professional at this:). Especially when it comes to loving others or even loving ourselves! Both are required in that, and I find resistance, even in always loving myself. Gotta work on my professionalism of myself and others. thanks for that word!

9. Esther, first of all having 20 sources in your post – crazy! But so good. It’s a lot by my amount I include.

Your reflection on Steven Pressfield’s “The War of Art” offers valuable insights into the battle against Resistance and the pursuit of creativity. You’ve effectively highlighted the nature of Resistance as a self-generated and self-perpetuating force that can hinder our progress. The contrast between amateurs and professionals in terms of their approach to creative work and their dedication is particularly illuminating.

Your integration of Daniel Z. Lieberman’s perspective on the destructive nature of the unconscious and Austin Kleon’s idea of “productive procrastination” adds depth to the discussion. It’s interesting to consider these different viewpoints on the enemy within us.

The connection between your faith and the concept of work as a calling is also thought-provoking. Viewing one’s work as a craft and recognizing the significance of faith in the labor of life aligns with your Christian perspective.

Overall, your reflection provides a well-rounded examination of the book’s themes and how they relate to your personal journey. It encourages a deeper consideration of the internal and external forces that shape our creative endeavours.