Student’s Supplement Guide (SSG)

Critical-Thinking-Skills-Tuition

Student’s Supplement Guide (SSG)

Everyone thinks, it is natural to do so. However, when much of our thinking is left to itself, it obviously becomes biased, partial as well as distorted and prejudiced. Nevertheless, the quality of life as well as what we produce solely relies on what we say, produce or build based on the quality or the value of our thoughts. Thinking is necessary, especially when it is beneficial; because when one thinks wisely and his or her thoughts becomes useful to other people, that is what happen with critical thinking.  One is able to analyze and evaluate thinking with the aim of improving it or making it more useful. Thinking leads to curiosity, which in turn leads to innovation; therefore quality thinking is valuable.  Thinking is an act that everyone has a right to do, and we need to evaluate how we think. Critical thinking involves self-corrective as well as self-monitored way of thinking. Critical thinking calls for effective communication as well as excellent abilities in problem solving. We must also understand that critical thinking calls for efforts to overcome our ego. In most cases, ego affects our way of thinking and makes us feel more important. Our feelings and thoughts sometimes clash and we tend to go with the feelings. Critical thinking is about struggling to attain self-righteousness. It is about perfecting what we already know or have in mind.

Interestingly, critical thinking calls for smartness and priority in what we value most, and we have to think whether what we think is right or wrong.  That sounds funny! Right…whatever it’s, it is the basis of critical thinking. Reading Richard Paul and Linder Elder’s book, “The miniature guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools” has revitalized my knowledge about critical thinking[i]. The authors have come up with an informative piece. They let us know that critical thinkers question conclusions, information as well as individual’s points of view. Critical thinkers look at the consequences of their thinking. As an individual, I have unknowingly applied the concept of critical thinking in many instances. As a college student, I made most decisions that later impacted my life positively. Interestingly the mentor’s decision for us to read this book is also critical thinking. I first read the book cover and all that came to my mind was that this is a book worth reading,  it supplied me  with a lot of information, it is a perfect  SSG, it has helped  me  to know myself better,and being support with a guide.

When you sit down with your computer or phone reading my post, and thinking or imagining how the book is important,  and  beneficial to you, you may not be aware that you are thinking critically. This is the reason, why students may consider getting the book and using it as a SSG with other reading materials. The elements of reasoning, the three kinds of question, as well as the stages of critical thinking are all elaborated in the book[ii]. I fully support the authors and give them credit for basing their book on a real life situation. What the authors describe in the book is easier to put into practice; because the book uses simple phrases and word diction is perfect[iii]. Despite being a perfect book for those who wish to develop their thinking abilities, I do find it unreasonable for the two authors to make assumptions like everyone is a perfect thinker and can employ their suggestions or tactics successfully. In other words, the authors tend to base their book in an ideal world with no shortcomings or people with low level of IQ, which indicate Critical thinkers are smart people. I call this a tiny weakness. All in all, the book is a perfect choice for anyone who would like to do self-evaluation on their decisions. It is an excellent piece for a college tutor teaching students on decision making, and students in general. I love the book, read it once; then reread it and still found new information. It is superb book for any student; because it can be used as a ‘SSG’ to their understanding of thinking critically.

[i]Paul, Richard, and Linda Elder. Critical Thinking: Concepts & Tools. Tomales, Calif: Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2014.

[ii]Paul, Richard, and Linda Elder. The Thinker’s Guide for Conscientious Citizens on How to Detect Media Bias & Propaganda in National and World News. Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2006.

[iii]Paul, Richard, and Linda Elder. The Thinker’s Guide for Conscientious Citizens on How to Detect Media Bias & Propaganda in National and World News. Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2006.

Rose Anding

Rose Maria “Simmons McCarthy” Anding, a Visionary, Teacher,Evangelist, Biblical Counselor/ Chaplain and Author, of High Heels, Honey Lips, and White Powder. She is a widower, mother, stepmother, grandmother, great grandmother of Denver James, the greater joy of her life. She has lived in Chicago, Washington, DC, and North Carolina, and is now back on the forgiving soil of Mississippi.

4 responses to “Student’s Supplement Guide (SSG)”

1. Claire Appiah says:

Rose,
    You are correct. This book is an excellent Student’s Supplement Guide (SSG). The authors are so confident of its benefits, they encourage students to carry it around with them as a ready resource to consult. They encourage students to internalize the principles found in the book so that they can master them and can apply them to all their learning experiences (Paul and Elder, inside cover).

2. Phil Goldsberry says:

Rose:

I love your title, SSG. You caught my attention when I read it. Truly the Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking is an asset to anyone who wants to steward their time with books, people, and situations.

You said it correctly, “Thinking is an act that everyone has a right to do, and we need to evaluate how we think. Critical thinking involves self-corrective as well as self-monitored way of thinking.” Where would our nation be if we implemented critical thinking that brought about self-correction?

Wonderful insight.

Phil

3. I totally agree with you Rose. Love the title and I think every student should have this in her library. I like what you said about how this book could help people make decisions. That was a new thought to me. I read the book thinking about research and writing, but your comment makes the book even more important. Thanks, Aaron

4. Marc Andresen says:

Rose,

“Thinking leads to curiosity, which in turn leads to innovation; therefore quality thinking is valuable.”

That’s fabulous!

One of my heroes in this life is a friend who is now about 90. He’s a brilliant man (PhD in Metallurgical Engineering), but the reason he’s my hero is that he’s never lost his curiosity. He’s still learning, he’s still thinking, he’s still behaving with godly wisdom.