Strong Like Her; Woman in a Man’s world

Leadership by Peter Northouse is the text book I was waiting for in this Doctorate of Leadership.  Not because it has the cutting edge of leadership theory, but because it gives a practical chapter on 15 styles of leadership.  I have been playing around with becoming a leadership coach once this doctorate is over and to have a book like this in my library feels comforting as I have my experience, but there are so many stories and ways of leading, it feels really helpful to have a book like this as a resource.

I have written several blogs around my experience as a female embodied being growing up within the church world and wrestling with my calling as a leader.  I avoided all sorts of attention but somehow was chosen within my High School as the sophomore representative to the North Dakota HOBY program.  (Hugh O’Brien youth Leadership Seminar), and I humbly went, really confused on why I was chosen.  I joined a dance team in high school my senior year and became one of the captains, I made my college Cheer team and became the captain.  Really confusing for a “shy” girl, but I am grateful for the ways I was “chosen”.  Finding ways to integrate my faith and leadership has been far more challenging.  What does a young woman do when she knows she is called to Leadership and also into ministry, but ministry does not take her seriously?  I tell you what you do, you find the back door or a cracked window!

I was drawn to ready chapter 15, Gender and Leadership.  I am reading the 2016 edition of Northouse book, and in this chapter he give a few profound statistics. “Women earn 57% of the bachelors degrees, 60% of the master’s degrees, and more than half of the doctoral degrees (National Center for Education Statistics, 2011), and they make up nearly half of the U.S. Labor force (46.8%, Catalyst, 2014).” [1] I looked up the 2023 statistics and they are just slightly higher now, women now earn “58.2% of bachelors degrees, 58.4% of the masters degrees, and 52.3 % of doctorate degrees are earned by women”[2].  And according to Catalyst.org, due to pandemic women are back down from an increase to being 57% of the work force.   We can start to get into the pay differences.  Catalyst reports women make 82 cents on the dollar to men in same and equal positions.

The Church Executive.com reports the following statistics, “For example, in the Episcopal Church, full-time male clergy earn an average of $12,000 more a year than female clergy. And in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, full-time male clergy earn $8,000 more a year than full-time female clergy. In denominations that ordain female clergy, they are more likely to be offered and feel compelled to accept lower-paying positions. Another contributing factor is that many women have fewer years in ministry than most men due to childbearing, child rearing and other family caregiving responsibilities. Data also shows that salaries for female clergy start at lower levels than men and the disparity is consistent over time. Additionally, male clergy are typically offered a higher salary than female clergy for the same position.” [3]

In my current position I find myself in the odd position of being a female in a male dominated world of clergy, however I am currently the only female chaplain, and happen to be the supervisor of 3 men in a healthcare system dominated by women. So within leadership at my organization its almost all women, yet I am within a department full of men. I am extremely grateful for the ways the men I work with support my leadership and ally with me in this work.  As I have struggled with my own leadership in this context, I find that this chapter made it easier for me by acknowledging that many women in leadership succeed most with transformational leadership. “Additionally, the transformational leadership style discussed in chapter 8 is particularly beneficial for women because it is not a markedly masculine style.” [4] I, as influenced by Oxford admissions where they ask what are you reading, and what is this reading making you want to read next?  So on to transformational Leadership.

“There are several positive features of the transformational approach, including that it is a current model that received a lot of attention by researchers, it has strong intuitive appeal, it emphasizes the importance of followers in the leadership process, it goes beyond traditional transactional models and broadens leadership to include the growth of followers, and it places strong emphasis on morals and values.”[5]When I hear this it makes me want to read further into this style not only for myself but for our world that watches as leader after leader falls into moral brokenness.

To end, I’d like to add a poem I took a picture of, that speaks to those whose shoulders we stand on!

STRONG LIKE HER
ANGELIE RASMUSSEN

17-year-old Joan of Arc led an army to victory and proved the fiery strength of women Jane Austen led women to have a voice,
writing her mind when told not to Susan B. Anthony led a fight for human rights
with visions of a just world Harriet Tubman led hundreds out of slavery
with a wanted sign on her head Marie Curie led by being the first woman
to receive a Nobel Peace Prize Helen Keller led with her determination
to give strength to the disabled 13-year-old Anne Frank led with her words of hope
for light in the darkest hours Rosa Parks led others off the back of the bus
and toward equality Mother Teresa led those suffering into warmth and love
through her devotion to charity Oprah Winfrey led her life from trial and abuse
to immense success and philanthropy Malala Yousafzai led the fight for women’s right to education,
surviving a bullet

Yet There are women around the world still waiting
for permission to speak
Permission to act
Who are paid less for the same work as their peers
Represented as mere objects in the media Shamed Blamed
Abused
Discriminated
Yet There’s something we all can do
We can be Strong like Joan of Arc
Audacious like Jane
Unconventional like Susan
Brave like Harriet
Intelligent like Marie
Resilient like Helen
Optimistic like Anne
Bold like Rosa
Compassionate like Mother Teresa
Ambitious like Oprah
Irrepressible like Malala To show that We
As men and women Are Equals
Individuals
Partners
And Leaders alike

[6]

[1] Northouse, Peter. Leadership:Theory and Practice:Seventh Edition. (Los Angeles, Sage Publications, 2016). p 398

[2] www.nces.ed.gov. National Center for Educational Statistics.

[3] www.churchexecutive.com

[4] Northouse, Peter. Leadership:Theory and Practice:Seventh Edition. (Los Angeles, Sage Publications, 2016) p. 408

[5]  Northouse, p. 190

[6] https://theselfcaredare.wixsite.com/mysite/post/strong-like-her

Jana Dluehosh

Jana serves as a Spiritual Care Supervisor for Signature Hospice in Portland, OR. She chairs the corporate Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging committee as well as presents and consults with chronically ill patients on addressing Quality of Life versus and alongside Medical treatment. She has trained as a World Religions and Enneagram Spiritual Director through an Anam Cara apprenticeship through the Sacred Art of Living center in Bend, OR. Jana utilizes a Celtic Spirituality approach toward life as a way to find common ground with diverse populations and faith traditions. She has mentored nursing students for several years at the University of Portland in a class called Theological Perspectives on Suffering and Death, and has taught in the Graduate Counseling program at Portland Seminary in the Trauma Certificate program on Grief.

9 responses to “Strong Like Her; Woman in a Man’s world”

Hi Jana,
    Thank you for thoughtful and vulnerable post. I found the chapter on Gender and Leadership encouraging and disheartening. The struggle continues and it is a good reminder hat we have much to offer and great influence. I so appreciate how communal leadership as opposed to agentic leadership behaviors are being recognized as valuable. Just this week in a counseling session with a female client who is in an extremely male dominated role and continues to daily deal with prejudices was able to see how important and relevant her communal skills and unique perspective as a woman were timely and valuable in a very hostile situation (though she still received no kudos from her direct superiors). It is good to hear you have support in your male dominated field. Why do you think it is different in your context?

• mm Jana Dluehosh says:

I think Hospice tends to be very female dominated, though we have amazing men who work with us too, but it is a very small percentage, perhaps because the majority are nurses and social workers who tend to be female in those roles. I would say what is holding me back more is that I come from a “religious” context. My getting this particular doctorate fit my need for relevance in the secular context, while utilizing what I need to help others. I find more support in my leadership then chaplains get from the “system”. Spiritual Care is required but not always valued by the system that requires it. It’s an uphill battle, but worth it and finding authentic, transformational way of leading is my way through I think:). We’ll see.

2. Esther Edwards says:

Jana,
    I am grateful that Northouse gave a chapter to Gender and Leadership and appreciate his clear presentation of how women often need to position themselves to be valued. For example “Adopting behaviors such as individualized consideration and inspirational motivation is a promising approach to overcome these biased expectations…” as well as effective negotiations techniques. (p. 416)
    No doubt we do bring different strengths to the table, but it still shows the extra work it takes to be honored as a peer.
    I remember my daughter mentioning she was thinking about being a youth pastor about 12 years ago. Now, she was only 12 at the time, but I remember discouraging her because I knew back then how hard it was to enter the field as a female. I am sorry that I did not have greater faith for her at that point, but much has changed. I do see a growing acceptance of female leadership in our circles and also have my own changes of perception. My response to her now would be very different.
    By the way, I asked if she remembered the conversation, and she didn’t…however, it has lingered in my memory and caused me to replay how I would now respond.
    I would ask you, what would you now say to a younger you desiring to embark in ministerial leadership?

• mm Jana Dluehosh says:

I think I would tell my younger self, go through the front door anyway…keep pushing. I think I sometimes felt under supported, and I wish I had pushed through a bit more. I lacked the confidence to step into where I was called in ministry because I had not seen women lead enough, and I saw how hard it was for my dad as a pastor, though he loved it and just retired after 40 years! (though he wants to pulpit supply, it’s like an addiction.). I don’t know if I would change a thing though, because it all got me here, to this moment, responding to your question and I don’t think I’d want to be anywhere else:)

3. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Jana,

This is such an honest and thoughtful post. Thank you for having the courage to discuss the topics that often get glazed over. I, too, appreciated the Chapter on Gender and Leadership as it revealed many things that I know to be true and that I continue to be frustrated about. The pay gap between male and female clergy mirrors what is happening in the corporate sector. It is even more disappointing when you factor in how race plays a role in it.

I also want to acknowledge how much I appreciate you sharing, “Strong Like Her”! It was both powerful and brilliant. Thank you.

• mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Thank you Jonita, your comment made me go back to look at my blog again for the poem, and I saw it didn’t get posted the way I meant, it’s there now. thank you for taking the time to find the link and read it:)

And yes, it’s disheartening to know we are still not there and that it’s women of color who are marginalized even farther! We must keep going and though I know I bring this up often, I feel it’s part of my voice to elevate it to discussion levels, especially within religious contexts:). You are such a gem Jonita! I feel seen by you.

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

You are seen by me…indeed! And cherished!

This part was a call to action, to bravery, a rejection of mediocracy, a declaration of our greatness:

We can be Strong like Joan of Arc
        Audacious like Jane
        Unconventional like Susan
        Brave like Harriet
        Intelligent like Marie
        Resilient like Helen
        Optimistic like Anne
        Bold like Rosa
        Compassionate like Mother Teresa
        Ambitious like Oprah
        As men and women Are Equals
        Individuals
        Partners
        And Leaders alike

I LOVE THIS!

4. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Janna!

You wrote an inspiring article about equality and the struggle for equal opportunities between women and men, which still has to be fought for. I enjoy reading your post. I am proud to have a friend with tenacity and sincerity in the struggle for humanity and equality.

Speaking about gender equality, I am grateful that my church denomination gained awareness more than three decades ago. This means that, for decades, women have been given equal opportunities to be ordained as priests. Even now, the ratio of female to male pastors in our church denomination has reached 50:50 ratio, and the future trend is that there will be more female pastors than male pastors. Regarding salary, all pastors are treated equally by our church denomination, regardless of gender. However, one more struggle that I think we must fight for is a female pastor becoming the general head of our church denomination. Hopefully, this will be realized in the future.

5. That poem was awesome, Jana.

Your reflection on Peter Northouse’s “Leadership” textbook and your personal experiences as a female leader within the church and healthcare system highlights the challenges and disparities that women often face in leadership roles. The statistics and insights you provide regarding gender and leadership are eye-opening. It’s inspiring to hear about your experiences and your commitment to exploring leadership styles like transformational leadership. Your desire to delve deeper into this style is commendable, and it’s essential to address moral and values-based leadership in today’s world.