Soul of Doubt…or reason to believe

“For some time now—at least since John Wesley’s work in the eighteenth century—sharp minds have noticed that an intensified religious consciousness may paradoxically stimulate secularization. Wesley as cited by Max Weber makes a poignant lament: the increase of religious virtue necessarily increases industry and frugality, which increases wealth, which may in turn diminish the appeal of religion”.[1]. While reading The Soul of Doubt: The Religious Roots of Unbelief from Luther to Marx, I started to gain a new appreciation for the responsibility of religious organizations for the push back of unbelief. Vincent Pecora’s quote above put it better than I could have. While Pecora sees the work of Edrozain as incomplete as noted in the following quote “Dominic Erdozain has written a clear, efficient, and witty book for a popular readership newly rehearsing such themes. Unfortunately for that popular readership, beyond perfunctory references to Nietzsche and Weber,… (it) cites none of the modern scholars mentioned above and seems innocent of the critical heritage they form” [2], I found the book engaging from a point of view which has always seen the “sunny” side of both Luther and Calvin without taking a good look at the darker side they both produced.

In reading Erdozain’s treatment I found myself wondering if we as Southern Baptists have done the same thing. When I look back to 2002 when Jerry Vines as the SBC president said at the annual conventions ‘”Islam was founded by Muhammad, a demon-possessed pedophile who had 12 wives — and his last one was a 9-year-old girl,”[3]. These kinds of statements push the average person away from Christ. I am not here to debate the veracity of the claim, what I see is hatred for a group of people. In fact, Erdozain quotes Luther when he states “See what wise lords these are who wish to drive out heresy, but succeed only in fortifying their enemies and making themselves suspect and in the wrong,” he scoffed. “With force you will merely entrench, not expel”‘ [4] The change which Erdozain shows in Luther’s later life is born out in his response to the peasants uprising. He is shown, “at first sympathetic to the the revolt with an ‘Admonition to Peace,’ which addressed the demands of the peasants and blamed the princes for escalating conflict”[5]. Peace is what Jesus calls us to with all, in John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” This is an admonition to live at peace, and a good idea for all Christians. Then after seeing the violence Luther penned Against the Robbing and Murdering Hordes of Peasants, in which he wrote “Let everyone who can, smite, slay and stab, secretly or openly, remembering that nothing can be more poisonous, hurtful or devilish than a rebel.[6]

As a pastor, I cannot imagine encouraging those in authority to do damage, much less murder, to those who oppose them. I know it is a part of human history. I know it is a part of American history, see the indigenous people, and slavery, but that has never made it right. We saw this in South Africa, where Mahlatse Mashua Mashua told us Christianity is seen as the white religion of oppression. How disappointed God must be that his love is perverted for these things. These things were done in the name of Orthodoxy which is defined as an authorized or generally accepted theory, doctrine or practice. Orthodoxy can be wrong. We see this in the sale of Indulgences by the Catholic Church in medieval times. There is no  such provision given in scripture but the Church said it was so, and it became part of the orthodox Catholic stance. So we can find orthodoxy in a secular setting, we see this in the band U2’s lead singer Bono’s life. He has never professed the band as a Christian band, but he himself is Christian. I am pretty sure no one is about to sing Sunday Bloody Sunday as a special in church but the man himself professes a life given to Christ.

While Alexander Ayris states “Erdozain’s thesis that religious certainty (i.e. dogmatism) breeds religious doubt is both illuminating and defensible”[7] he also argues “Calvin and Luther also described faith using terms such as “rest” and “trust” in addition to “belief”.”[8] It almost feels as if Erdozain had a disdain for the reformers and a certain affinity for those who would stand against them. I understand this aversion since both Calvin and Luther moved towards an authoritarian stance against those who would disagree, but there are also points to laud them on, no one is perfect.  I have heard it said if you have left your faith because a pastor or church member has hurt you, your faith was in people not God. I believe this to be true, if we truly seek God, both in the scriptures and in our lives, we can find him. If the church pushes you away, it can be painful, I have dealt with this, but I had to come back to the reason I have faith in God to begin with. He called me out of my sin and into a relationship with him.

[1] Pecora, Vincent P. “Dominic Erdozain . The Soul of Doubt: The Religious Roots of Unbelief from Luther to Marx.” The American Historical Review 122, no. 4 (2017): 1300-301.

[3] “Muslims angered by Baptist criticism.” CNN. June 13, 2002. Accessed January 25, 2018. http://edition.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/06/13/cf.crossfire/.

[4] Erdozain, Dominic. The Soul of Doubt : The Religious Roots of Unbelief from Luther to Marx. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2016. 19.

[5] Ibid. 28-29.

[6] Ibid. 29.

[7]Ayris, Alexander Austin. “The Soul of Doubt: The Religious Roots of Unbelief from Luther to Marx.” Intellectual History Review 26, no. 2 (2016): 305-07.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

11 responses to “Soul of Doubt…or reason to believe”

Hi Jason,

Yours is an example of why I look forward every week to reading the Blogs of the other Pastors in our Cohort. We seem to come at things from a shepherd together, which I appreciate.

Especially when you close in this way, “I had to come back to the reason I have faith in God to begin with. He called me out of my sin and into a relationship with him.”

To me, when discussing doubt, your comment brings it right back into realistic focus, that relationship is where it is at. Relationship between us and God, and relationship between us and others. Thank your for your Blog.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      I always appreciate your comments, they come from such a grace filled heart. I have always thought doubt leads us deeper into our relationship with Christ. I have never had fear when it came to that.

Jason, great job emphasizing the need for us to learn from past mistakes of others, rather than repeat them. Christians are some of the most passionate people on the planet, and we usually get the fire burning inside when someone expresses something that conflicts with our spiritual compass. However, one of the challenges we face is that of self-control and the ability to show godliness, especially in the face of adversity. Too often I fear we fail…and I mean this in myself as well. It is a daily struggle to study the truth without getting emotionally invested in the fight against evil.

I believe the greatest struggle in this regard though is not against atheists, muslims, or buddhists, but rather against other Christians that have differing interpretations of Scripture. How do you think we should best resolve this problem?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Shawn
      I will answer your question with a story I was told recently. One of the best men I have met in my congregation relayed that he had an occasion to go and pray with neighbors of his because they had lost an adult child to cancer. He told me the family had gathered soon after the passing and he was there to just help as he could. Before long he said “I asked them if they would like to sit hold hand together and just talk to God about this”. Nothing magical at all. After the time of prayer he said the father had tears in his eyes. This is when I was told they were Catholics in their faith. He told my friend, we have never done that, we are not allowed to talk directly to God. After relating this to me Chris asked me how I would have responded to this statement. Me encouragement was to point him to Hebrews and the Great High Priest that is Christ, have them read and then just dialog in love. To many times denominations will just put down each other for different beliefs and not act like we follow Christ at all. That, I think, is where we fail the most.

Jason,

It absolutely staggers me that the SBC president said that in a public setting. That he even thought it astounds me. There is little wonder why so many people feel so strongly that the church has lost its way and has focused on the wrong things. But he seems no worse than what Luther or Calvin encouraged. What about Augustine? Same. It’s all beginning to seem hopeless to me.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Dan,
      While it is sad this can be said from a position of a pastor, the hope we have is not in people it is in Christ. There are many in my denomination who were shocked and disappointed this was said. The better view to be taken is fact that the SBC is great at disaster relief, feeding and other great things they do to help the less fortunate in this fallen world. Those things rarely get any attention.

Jason,
    Brilliant introduction, and you quickly assured me that you have a good handle on the more abstract relationship between religion and secularism. I resisted Erdozain’s position for a couple of days until I read-around him with other authors, reviews, and had some personal reflection on the matter. I am slow, but I think I see how that symbiotic type relationship could and did occur. I have read before if it had not been for the monastic monks during the dark ages that Christianity as we know it, might not have been carried forward enough to get to the Reformation breakaway. God uses all things, for our good, and His glory if you are a Rom. 8:28 believer.
    I hear you about the “Peace” side of Christ, but always remember, the “War” side too. And as peaceful as Christ wants us to be to draw the lost to him, when it is time, He, Christ himself, will come and lead the battle, not to defeat evil, that was done on the Cross, but to fulfill the scripture and put Satan in his proper place, locked up where he belongs.
    Some people get mixed up with the metaphorical message, putting on the Armor of God, as if we are going to war. Well, it is what it is, Paul did not make a mistake, and he said put on Christ, in a certain order, divinely inspired, to not only defend against the devil and demons and evil powers from dark places. But, to overcome, to defeat, and to advance the Kingdom of God! Amen.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      I do agree there is a “war” side of our life as a Christian, but as Paul said it is not against flesh and I think we get caught up to much in fighting fleshly things when we should be on our knees taking advantage of the most powerful thing in the universe, the Holy Spirit. But I know I am preaching to the choir.

5. Hi Jason,

Strange you should mention Bono today. My Vineyard pastor referenced Bono this morning and played the newest single Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way. Great song, btw…

https://genius.com/U2-love-is-bigger-than-anything-in-its-way-lyrics

It’s sad to see over-the-top statements like Vines, or Luther’s exhortation to slay and kill. Why are we so threatened by difference? Why can’t we learn to value that difference is a quality to seek after rather than avoid? Our communities would all be more enriched through inclusion.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,
      As I talked about last week, we are comfortable with those who look like us and think like us. It is against our nature to do otherwise. Fortunately I don’t have to rely on my self or my own nature, I am supposed to do it through the power of Christ within me. I think this might be a great way to look at Phil. 4:13 don’t you think?

Jason,
    I do love hearing your heart and the struggles that you work through. None of us can cast a stone on denominational leaders…we all have them and none are perfect (that is why we have Christ:-) I so believe our greatest sermons are preached as we live our lives out in the communities that God has places us. Even Luther in his radical language softened in later years. We have to know we are all on a journey, even the “great scholars” we reference. btw I would love to be in the service the special was “Sunday bloody Sunday”, especially if we are talking about misguided radicalism. thanks brother.