Something we should not be afraid of…

A little background is probably necessary.  I did not find faith in Christ until I was 30 years old.  I bought my first bible soon after, joined a bible study for men, made friends who were unlike most people I had hung around with most of my life.  One of these men became a very good friend of mine, I could count on him and the opposite was true, I would do anything for him.  About 3 months after accepting Christ I felt a call to ministry and to go to seminary.  The first thing my friend told me was don’t let their theology classes ruin you, he had other friends who had gone to seminary and they just weren’t the same Christians after the seminary got through with them.  In Who Needs Theology? An Invitation to the Study of God Grenz and Olson would have categorized my friend as a folk theologian, he would have argued against this but none the less he would fall there.

This reaction to theology is what underlies the basis for this book.  Most Christians that I know do not want to talk about theology.  The problem with this is most fall into the folk theologian category.  I believe what I believe because it is what I have been told.  This has led to many Christians being unable to voice their beliefs in a way that is convincing to those who do not believe.  It is my feeling this is where an undercurrent of ignorance has invaded Christianity in North America.  It does not take long to do a search for “why christians don’t understand christianity” to see how most Christians are viewed. So why theology? Well Grenz and Olson tell you why, “Good theology assists Christians because it grounds their lives in biblically informed, Christian truth”. [1]  To often this is how Christians are seen “It’s true because the Bible says it’s true” is no more proof of truth than is, “Apples are the best of the fruits, because I think that’s true.” Christians need to more readily admit that the religious experience — no matter how riveting and real it is to the person experiencing it — remains a subjective phenomenon, and talk about it that way.” [2] It is my option this is one of the main problems with why the American church, we are not reaching out, we are not getting out of our comfort zone because we are too scared.  What if someone actually engaged them in a discussion of why they believe what they believe and be challenged and then they could not defend their stance.  That would call their faith into question.  This happens more than us pastors would like to believe, and it pulls many church goers away from God.  If we want those who are in our churches to be able to stand strong we have to encourage and teach those we can how to become more than just folk theologians.

So what are the major tasks of theology, according to Grenz and Olson there are two, the critical and the constructive.  The critical task is something I am truly sure most Christians need to invest time in.  The critical task is about “examining Christian teachings and beliefs for consistency with authentic Christian sources of truth” [3] There are even arguments for non believers to study theology.  Tara Burton argues in The Atlantic, “theology is the closest thing we have at the moment to the kind of general study of all aspects of human culture that was once very common, but is now quite rare.” [4] A good theologian she writes, “has to be a historian, a philosopher, a linguist, a skillful interpreter of texts both ancient and modern, and probably many other things besides.”[5] If people who do not know God can benefit from studying theology how much more can believers benefit.

The discussion on what is important and what is not important is something that hit home with me because when I first started studying in seminary I was behind most of my classmates.  I grew up going to Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, Baptist and Non Denominational but until I finally accepted Christ none of it meant a thing to me.  So having to learn the difference between dogma, doctrine and opinion was difficult for me. I found the following clip apropos to my journey…

The Buddy Christ, I am pretty sure there are some Christians who would prefer this “dogma” but it is no more than opinion, and a poor one at that.  The idea of being able to understand the difference between dogma-Christ is the son of God and died for our sins, doctrine – in Baptist life the Lord’s supper is a remembrance as opposed to Catholic life where the belief is transubstantiation, and opinion – someone saying women can only wear long dresses, not cut their hair and not wear make up is extremely important if we are to reach a lost world.

The constructive side of theology is also just as important, how does theology help us to see the bible and God in relation to our culture.  Paul says in 1st Corinthians 9:22  I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. This means we have to find a way to fit theology into our discussions with the culture around us not shy away from the difficult discussions.  I am not sure this is the panacea for helping the American church turn their hearts to the lost but I am sure this cannot hurt.  We must embrace the study of God so that we may do what we have been called to do.

[1] Grenz, Stanley J., and Roger E. Olson. Who needs theology?: an invitation to the study of God. Downers Grove, IL, USA: InterVarsity Press, 1996. 39.

[2] Shore, John. “Ten Ways Christians Tend to Fail at Being Christian.” The Huffington Post. May 07, 2010. Accessed November 30, 2017. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-shore/10-ways-christians-tend-t_b_562583.html.

[3] Grenz, Stanley J., and Roger E. Olson. Who needs theology?: an invitation to the study of God. Downers Grove, IL, USA: InterVarsity Press, 1996. 71.

[4] Burton, Tara Isabella. “Study Theology, Even If You Don’t Believe in God.” The Atlantic. October 30, 2013. Accessed November 30, 2017. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/study-theology-even-if-you-dont-believe-in-god/280999/.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

11 responses to “Something we should not be afraid of…”

Jason, I too had friends that couldn’t believe I was going to “cemetery” (their words). I think for some their concerns are grounded in those few individuals that studied and then could not relate concepts to a congregation. Sometimes there are also those that go to seminary for the wrong reasons, maybe they idolize a pastor and his perceived “power”. There seems to be a challenge to empower the church to apologetics without having them be dogmatic and fundamental in there use of the knowledge they have. I have seen churches teach appropriate answers rather than ways of thinking. I wonder if this is an easier way to handle any doubters or difficult questions. So how do you think you can help your own local congregation to not fall into some of the same traps and other American churches?

• Jason Turbeville says:

I find my biggest push comes from those who feel they have heard it all. I think my denomination has been given the answers for far to long. Very few are able to argue on their own merit.

Hi Jason,

I fixated on your comments, “Paul says in 1st Corinthians 9:22 I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. This means we have to find a way to fit theology into our discussions with the culture around us not shy away from the difficult discussions.”

I can understand why you say this and I support you. However, I see many people watering things down so as to speak to our culture?! These difficult discussions we must not shy away from (your words), must contain God’s truth as it is demonstrated in Scripture. I believe you and I are of the same mind on this. Would you agree?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      Amen brother, just because something is uncomfortable does not mean we shy away. If that were the case I would have never found God. I had someone challenge me as to why I thought there was no God. In the end theology drew me to faith.

Jason,

Good opening with the “folk theology” reflection and application to your seminary journey. I too believe your position on the “undercurrent of ignorance” in the church. To be sure, the evil one has deployed many schemes that contribute to the ignorance, misunderstanding, and confusion in understanding what it means to be Christian. I have been studying in and out of seminary for the past 10 years, and I feel like I am still in elementary school when it comes to knowing God. (I can’t wait until Christ comes and opens our minds with an earth suit upgrade.)

Excellent outside review and comments from Burton. Thanks for the thumbs up, finger pointing, and eye squinting image of Christ in the Catholic “revamping” of the crucifix video link. I know He has an unmatched sense of humor!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      I truly believe ignorance is Satan’s greatest tool, he has made himself be seen as a cartoon, thus not a threat. In this position he does so much damage. I feel the same way, after 17 years in ministry I still feel like a baby Christian. I don’t know if I will ever feel different until Christ comes again.

Jason, I watched this video on youtube this week that had Bill Nye the Science Guy walking through the new Noah’s Ark exhibit in Kentucky as he debated Ken Hamm on the intelligence…or lack of, in human creation. At one point Bill Nye turned to the crowd and admonished the fact that Science can be right today, but completely proven wrong tomorrow; then a few minutes later admitted that he did not know everything, but he did know that God did not create the world. You touched on the critical thinking process of theology, and I believe that was the giant wall in the evolution discussion; on one hand you had a man devoted to science, on the other a man devoted to God; at which point can the two come together to agree on anything? I heard only science rational from Nye and only God rational from Hamm….but is it not possible for a scientists to look at God from a scientific light; and is it not possible for a theologian to view God from a scientific light? Of course it is, but the real question is, “Are either of them willing to?” This question is part of what I picked up on in your post and agree with regarding the need for people to truly seek after true evidence as they seek out God. I believe God is clearly visible not just in Scripture, but also in science, mathematics, history, geology, archeology, and astronomy.

Great post.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Have you ever read any of Stephen C. Meyer’s works on intelligent design. You might enjoy his work. His background is physics and philosophy of science. I have always had a mind bent towards science and so your discussion is one that I enjoy!

Jason,

Other terms for ‘folk’ theology are ‘Intuitive’ theology – that which is inherently understood regardless of faith background, and ‘Embedded’ theology – that which is inherited from parents/faith community but not owned or processed personally. You are correct in recognizing that many Christians who possess ’embedded’ or ‘folk’ theology fear developing what I call ‘deliberate’ or ‘owned’ theology – that which is processed and determined through personal effort. Deliberate theology is (or at least should be) much more dynamic as it is never completely finalized as we continue to grow in our understanding of God and how God works in the world. What have you attempted in your own ministry setting to help congregants move from ‘folk’ or ’embedded’ theology to ‘deliberate’ or ‘owned’ theology. Have any of these methods been effective?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Dan,
      One of the things I used to do when I was a youth minister was to hammer home the fact that just because your here at church and mom and dad are Christians does not mean you are saved. I always try to get through to others the idea of making the relationship with Christ real, not just something we do.

Great story telling. I loved seeing how more and more theology was slowly added to your life. I think if people can see the church being critical of itself, that will actually help it build credibility within its community.