Slowing Down in the Important Things

This was a challenging book. I found each idea made sense on its own, but I struggled to connect the ideas to get the big picture. I became a bit suspicious that I might be part of Kahneman’s research project to observe ways doctoral students panic when they do not fully understand the assigned reading. I am sure my reaction mirrored that of examples given in Thinking Fast and Slow: tensed muscles, heart rate increased, and dilated pupils as I tried to work my way through the book. However, I will give my System 1 and System 2 a pat on the back for doing their best.

As I ruminated over Kahneman’s Thinking Fast and Slow, the word that kept coming to mind was remember. This is likely due to my intrigue by Kahneman’s idea of the experiencing self and the remembering self. [1] Kahneman writes,

“The experiencing self is the one that answers the question: ‘Does it hurt now?’ The remembering self is the one that answers the question: ‘How was it, on the whole?’ Memories are all we get to keep from our experience of living, and the only perspective that we can adopt as we think about our lives is therefore that of the remembering self.” [2]

With this concept of the experiencing and remembering self, I couldn’t help but make connection to the significance of the word remember in Scripture. For example, when Moses instructs the Israelites in Exodus chapter thirteen, “Remember this day in which you came out from Egypt, out of the house of slavery, for by a strong hand the LORD brought you out from this place.” [3] Throughout Scripture we see the emphasis on the idea of remembrance. Jesus also gave instruction to his disciples, “Do this in remembrance of me.” [4] Much of faith is based on this idea of remembrance. Memories. It is fascinating to think the memories of others, in this case, those in Scripture impact much of our remembering self. Kahneman writes, “This is how the remembering self works: it composes stories and keeps them for future reference.” [5] It is incredible to think these stories give so such meaning to our faith and comprise the foundation of what we believe and how we believe it, and it continues.

This leads me to consider the idea of System 1 and System 2 thinking concerning faith. Kahneman states, “Memory is an attribute of System 1. However, everyone has the option of slowing down to conduct an active search of memory for all possibly relevant facts.” [6] This causes me to think how much of our faith becomes an automatic response. Especially, in the case of Christians who were raised in believing homes, attended Christian schools, and work in primarily Christian circles. This is not necessarily a negative thing, but it would be very different for someone who was new to the Christian faith and navigating a new belief system. For example, when the “life-timer” hears the words, “Do this in remembrance of me”, they would automatically know this meaning and it would not require much thought. Whereas the new Christian would engage System 1 and System 2 thinking to make sense of the words and decide what to do with those words. It would require slowing down and an active memory search. Therefore, the mature believer and the new believer would have completely different memories of the same event (e.g. Communion).

Thinking Fast and Slow was a difficult read for me. I struggled to connect ideas to get the big picture. However, it did provide valuable insight on System 1 and 2 thinking and the experiencing self and remembering self. Furthermore, these ideas have caused me to consider how they play out in the faith journey. In Scripture there is much emphasis on the idea of remembrance. Memories give meaning to our faith. We remember Jesus’ words to his disciples as well as remember the moment Jesus became more than a just “nice man” to us. In addition, Kahneman’s ideas brought awareness to the different systems of thinking that would be engaged for a new Christian or unbelievers verses the mature believer. I feel a bit ridiculous admitting that I did not think about this much until now. I desire to be more sensitive to this in the future. Lastly, after reading this book, I realize I engage System 1 thinking more than I realize. It’s how I survive! However, I want to make sure I am slowing down and engaging System 2 thinking in the important things. Especially, things of faith.

Well, now that I have come to the end of my post, my muscles can relax and my heart rate can decrease.

[1] Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Kindle Edition.

[2] Daniel Kahneman. Thinking, Fast and Slow. (p. 381). Kindle Edition.

[3] Exodus 13:3 (ESV)

[4] 1 Corinthians 11:24b (ESV)

[5] Daniel Kahneman. Thinking, Fast and Slow. (p. 387). Kindle Edition

[6] Daniel Kahneman. Thinking, Fast and Slow. (p. 46). Kindle Edition

Elysse Burns

20 responses to “Slowing Down in the Important Things”

1. mm Kari says:

Lovely post, Elysse. I like how you contrast the difference of memories and experiences for older versus newer believers. I always find new believers’ faith and excitement refreshing. Your post has me thinking that it maybe because they are processing it in a totally different way (system) than I am! What are ways you plan to slow down to engage System 2 in your faith journey?

• Elysse Burns says:

Kari, thank you for your kind words. Something I would like to implement in my life is a required “slow down” time at the end and/or beginning of each month. This would be to reflect and highlight the ways I saw God work, things I am thankful for, and just a general check-up on how I am doing. Perhaps, you can help me do this? 🙂

Hi Elysse, of all the posts I have read to date, yours this week touches me deeply. In my research for our portfolio project, I focused on God’s interactions with Moses and Jesus’ with the disciples. Your discussion of them in regards to memory brings another valuable dimension to it. It led to the question: What specific memories do I have where I have sensed God either calling or sustaining me in my faith and leadership journey? If you are willing to share, I would love to hear yours.

• Elysse Burns says:

Diane, thank you for your very kind words! I have many examples where I have felt the Lord sustain me. I will share a couple examples here, but perhaps we can set up a call? I would love to hear more about your portfolio project!

About 2 1/2 years ago, I was having a really difficult time navigating the extreme poverty (physical and spiritual) and overall sadness I was seeing in Africa. It felt extremely heavy. I was probably also a little homesick. One night I decided to spend quiet time with the Lord and during this time I felt like Jesus walked into the room and held me and cried with me. It was really impactful. I still get teary eyed thinking about it. That moment gave me confidence and strength to continue. I knew He was with me.

I have another story that is a bit more comical. I had just landed in Switzerland for 9 months of language study. Upon my arrival, and to my dismay, I realized I had no cell reception and no clue where I was going. I was probably operating in my System 1 of panic, but I remember being on a train and feeling so overwhelmed. I finally arrived in Neuchatel, Switzerland and was wandering around the station, wondering what to do next. Suddenly, I heard, “Elysse?” A woman was calling to me, and she just so happened to be staying at the same place I would be staying. I had seen her picture once before and she had seen a photo I had sent. Miracle upon miracles, she happened to be buying bread at that exact moment and she saw me! I knew this moment was the Lord providing for me in a new country. This example continues to sustain me when I am struggling with difficult things. I remember, “He got me to where I needed to be!”

3. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Elysse, Thank you for sharing and also for your transparency. Indeed, it’s not an easy read on my end. And I don’t know, maybe the print was caused by the page length? Either way, we made it through. You made an analogy about remembrance and System 2 and things of faith. At this stage of the journey using System 2, what would you remind yourself??

• Elysse Burns says:

Daren, thank you for the encouraging comment. An area where I have been struggling lately is language learning. I have started learning the local dialect in Mauritania and it seems impossible. I feel most days are a System 1 routine of showing up to class and counting down the minutes until it’s over. However, I know language learning doesn’t happen this way. I need to slow down and spend some time with the Lord and ask Him to give me a love for this language. He created it! I also most importantly want to remember that He has led me through language learning before. This isn’t new territory for me, and I know He provides what I need. I must remember He has led me to this point and He has given me the opportunity to learn. Language learning just happens to be a faith journey the Lord has appointed for me.

4. Jeff Styer says:

Elysse,
    I love that you talk about remembering. I shared this with someone else this week. I am reading through the Psalms for Lent and my coach challenged me to not just read them but to discern the emotions found in each one. As I am working my way through I am struck by how much the psalmists reflect on God’s faithfulness and character regardless of what situation they are currently in. They talk about what God did for them in the past. Paul in his letter to the Philippians writes. “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus”. — Philippians 4:4-7 (CSB) Paul says that we are to have an attitude of thanksgiving and that attitude I believe comes from remembering, remembering God’s faithfulness to us in the past Our church has published a book of what we call “God Sightings,” ways we’ve seen God work unexpectedly in our lives. It is a refreshing book to read. Joshua commanded the Israelites to pick up memorial stones from the Jordan to remember God’s faithfulness. What memorial stones do you carry with you, what stories can you tell of God’s faithfulness in your life?

• Elysse Burns says:

Jeff, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I have always loved the idea of memorial stones. Here in Africa, I have memorial plants. Just two weeks ago, the Lord provided in a way I knew could only be from Him. I went to renew my residency card and through this process, I was connected with the mayor of my commune. This led to other connections, which led to me being asked to be a keynote speaker at a university event. This was a very significant moment for me, because in December I stepped away from my position as administrator of a nonprofit clinic here in the city. I was a little nervous, because I wasn’t sure what I would do next. However, the Lord showed up quickly and powerfully! I will hold this as a memorial stone. I have so many other examples, but this is the most recent!

5. Christy Liner says:

Hi Elysse,

I love your thinking about around this content in the context of faith. It made me ponder some things that I’d want to be in system 1 and therefore automatic – like turning to prayer instead of fear, defaulting to faith instead of doubt, etc. The more we do these things, they more automatic they can become.

What are some faith-related things that are in system 1 for you, that are you glad that they don’t require extra effort?

• Elysse Burns says:

Christy, thank you for your kind words! Something that has become automatic for me, is a love to study the Bible. I get excited to read it. I especially enjoy the Old Testament. I do feel this is a love the Lord has given me that has become an automatic response. Another thing that has become more automatic is going to God in prayer for things that intimidate me or cause me some unease. In the past, I would “white-knuckle” these situations, but I have learned to surrender feelings of anxiety and unease to the Lord. Often, the feelings don’t go away, but I feel God gives me a clearer mind to navigate through the more intimidating moments and to do it well.

Elysse,
    Your connection of the new vs. mature Christian is such a great way to help me get a better grasp of this book, especially, since I was NOT raised in a Christian home and came to Christ later in life.

And, I’m glad that I wasn’t alone in the all-systems-firing while trying to make sense of this book!

What do you think are some takeaways from this book that will help you with your NPO? Or is it a definite no, not helpful at all?

Thanks for your wisdom!

• Elysse Burns says:

Nancy, you ask a good question. I did not connect with this book in ways I hoped. Perhaps, I need to show it a bit more love. I do appreciate knowing the concepts of System 1 and System 2. I am positive my System 1 took over when doing Section 1 of our NPO expertise essay. I was a disaster. I could not convey my thoughts the way I desired, but I just had to get it done! If I would have done a System 2 override, I would have stepped back to clear my head and asked for an extension. All that to say, knowing the systems of thinking will benefit me in the future when I sense I am going into the System 1 automatic abyss of no return.

7. Debbie Owen says:

Elysse, as you considering these two selves, how does remembering come into play in your daily work? Especially with regard to the Holy Spirit encouraging our memories toward God?

• Elysse Burns says:

Debbie, you ask a good question. I can think of a very recent example. On Saturday, I was asked to be a keynote speaker at a university event. It wasn’t to be a complicated or long speech, but I felt very anxious about it. Public speaking is something I do often, but something I have never enjoyed. I prefer to be behind the scenes! However, I have to regularly give these anxieties surrounding this area of my life to the Lord. I often find the courage to do public speaking when I remember the many times He has led me successfully through other speaking events. I have never died from it, and I keep growing. I do the things that make me uncomfortable because I love God and I know He always gives me what I need to take the next step.

8. Julie O'Hara says:

Hi Elysse, Just saying thanks for bringing in the biblical admonition to “remember.” I appreciate your post.

Julie

9. Chad Warren says:

Elysse, like many have commented already, your word “remember” is a good encouragement. I am certainly forgetful and must regularly remember God’s faithfulness and presence. Thank you for sharing your perspective and the challenge it brought!

10. Akwése Nkemontoh says:

Elysse, thank you for your openness in this post. I really appreciated hearing what this stirred for you. Your thoughts around “how much of our faith becomes an automatic response” invited me to pause, especially when you mentioned it not being negative ( because that’s where my mind went ha). Your example made me think about our NPO’s biblical and theological foundations that we just had to write. My faculty advisor said this would be an easy section for Pastors and those with backgrounds in theology but likely the hardest section to write for those of us without. I think this is due to what you mentioned because pulling apart biblical context and connecting scripture to everyday life is a regular practice for pastors but required lots of system 2 thinking for me. I’d love to know your thoughts on other ways we can leverage the gifts of faith as an automatic response and where this could also cause blockages to drawing deeper in one’s faith.

• Elysse Burns says:

Akwése, you bring up a very good point! Sidenote: I really struggled with section 1 of the NPO expertise essay. It was not a pleasant experience for me and it took days for me to recover! Concerning leveraging gifts of faith, discovering the areas where we really excel and the ways God naturally designed us to thrive, could really benefit the growth of automatic response. I can think of a few areas that were complete drudgery to me and I had to give myself multiple motivational speeches just to get through them. I am still figuring out my gifts of faith.

I think perhaps blockages can come when we think we have learned all we need to know. I am going to be transparent here, sometimes I feel annoyed when I am listening to a sermon and the pastor preaches the crucifixion and resurrection story for the gazillionth time. This a horrible attitude for me to have, and it’s very prideful for me to think I know enough of that event. Plus, it’s the very foundation of my hope! The reality is, I will probably never grasp the deepest depth of what Jesus did for me (at least in this lifetime). This story should never get old to me. Where was I going with this? Oh yes, we shouldn’t become overconfident in our automatic response. As we now know, that’s usually when error creeps in.