Religion Rules

Each religion has the ability to shape, pressure, and influence the culture and lives of its’ followers, as well as comfort, motivate, and inspire self-sacrificing acts and generous gestures. It governs morality and gives purpose, meaning, and direction for individuals and societies. More importantly, it provides a way back to “God” and gives people the ability to spiritually and emotionally regulate. If “Catholic Guilt” describes the ethos of Catholicism, then the “Protestant Work Ethic” is a fair descriptive of the Protestant ethos. Guilt is commonly associated with Catholics and has been used to govern morality and produce sacrificial acts. Protestantism has had a profound impact on shaping capitalism and the work ethic within society. Working and pursuing your calling were admirable pursuits if it did not produce wealth purely for personal gain. Although this value is still lived out today among some protestants in capitalistic countries, the prevailing spirit appears to have strayed significantly from the rules of gaining wealth. In capitalistic cultures, it is often admired to see celebrities, athletes, and wealthy individuals earn capital purely for their personal gain, then flaunt it on social media for all the world to see.

In Thailand, I learned Buddhism and Hinduism had a significant impact on the culture of the Thai people. Everywhere you looked there were “Spirit Houses” near homes, offices, and malls, built for housing spirits and providing blessings for the nearby residents. They gave people a feeling that they were blessed and protected in their homes and daily activities since they provided a home for the spirits. Shrines were everywhere, even in the downtown sex industry. The juxtaposition of a sacred shrine in such a carnal place was a shocking sight to see. Even more shocking was how I watched a young girl stop to pray in front of the shrine for protection before she went off to service a man. After she prayed earnestly, I wondered what he thought as he watched her pray to her god, then escorted her to a nearby room. This spirit house gave her hope and comfort in a dark world, and despite my religious beliefs, I found myself responding with mixed emotions of sadness and relief for the religion that supported her spirit.

The impact Protestantism has had on shaping the values and work ethic of capitalistic countries is a new thought to me. I’ve considered how Protestantism has shaped our culture, relationships, emotional and mental well-being, but it has been an interesting concept to consider the impact Protestantism has had in partnering with capitalistic societies. It’s values and beliefs are discreetly intertwined in the foundation and bedrock of our country, and it has given me pause to wonder what we would be like as a culture without its’ influence. What would Thailand be like without the influence of their religions? In America, our forefathers worked hard to create separation between church and state, but I am now of the understanding this is an impossible task to purely achieve. For as long as there are people, there will be religions, and religion plays a powerful role in shaping and influencing our societies, cultures, and laws, as well as the lives of its’ followers, despite our attempts to keep them separate.

Jennifer Dean-Hill

10 responses to “Religion Rules”

Jennifer, you made an interesting comparison to Thailand and the influences of religion on culture. If “Buddhism and Hinduism had a significant impact on the culture of the Thai people,” then certainly, Protestantism does in Europe and the United States. Weber’s thesis that the church’s influence showed up in capitalism is a bit of an eye opener for me. I am with you; it gives me pause to wonder what our culture (and the markets) would look like without its influence. Thanks Jennifer!

Thank you, Jennifer. In a country where we pride ourselves in the “separation of church and state” I wonder if we have forgotten that it is truly impossible to purely achieve as you say.
    Christians are told to keep their religion in the 4 walls of their churches. But how can we do that? How do we share Jesus with a hurting friend without mentioning it’s Jesus?
    I guess it would be great if our influence was only good things. And even though I can see how religious ideas may have played a part in capitalism, it’s not all there is to religion. What would Thailand or any other country in SE Asia be like with more influence of the Gospel of peace and love?

3. Jen great reflections! You story of the young girl praying in front of the shrine touched me deeply!
    When I was in Japan, I too experienced how the spirits and shrines impacted the culture. While many Japanese people will not associate with any religion per se, they do find spiritual solace in their shrines.

Yes I do concur that religion/faith and culture have always danced together. They can never be purely separated and honestly why should they. We as human beings have souls and long for a meaningful spiritual connection.

“religion plays a powerful role in shaping and influencing our societies, cultures, and laws, as well as the lives of its’ followers, despite our attempts to keep them separate.”
    There are certainly increasing attempts to separate religion from the public sphere, but as you state, it continues to play a powerful role, and, as this book shows, has been fundamental in the formulation and development of many of our modern-day institutions and political and economic and social systems and practices.

5. Right now we are experiencing the influence of religion in America. We claim the name of Christianity but our belief system or maybe the way be address our beliefs are different. The election and support of a man they despised because of their faith and values soon changed because of their commitment to their political stand which overruled their integrity.

6. Thank you so much for sharing this story, Jen. Your post has caused me to think about something that Weber touched on.
    In the holiness movement we talk a lot about the assurance of salvation. Wesley referred to it as his heart being strangely warmed. Some simply refer to it as sanctification. After that moment (or period of time) we believe the fruit of the Spirit becomes evident and we can rest on the assurance that the Spirit works in us, thus we are secure in salvation.
    Weber attributes the Protestant work ethic to a uneasiness about election in Calvinism. This makes sense to me in some ways, but why then are so many holiness people also given to this work ethic? Hard work is not listed as a fruit of the Spirit. Thinking about that girl and her shrine, I wonder if instead the Protestant work ethic stems from a deep sense to prove we are worthy to God, to know God has some reason to love us. It’s like the parable of the talents has a tighter grip on us than the Sermon on the Mount. What do you think?

“In America, our forefathers worked hard to create separation between church and state, but I am now of the understanding this is an impossible task to purely achieve. For as long as there are people, there will be religions, and religion plays a powerful role in shaping and influencing our societies, cultures, and laws, as well as the lives of its’ followers, despite our attempts to keep them separate.”

Yes, I believe you are right to suggest that each influences the other– politics and religion (and economy– capitalism in this case). I think our founders’ intentions, however, was to not establish a state church (such as the Church of England), nor to legislate based on a single religion. Does religion continue to influence our politics? Of course– as long as government is comprised of people who adhere to particular religious beliefs, as you suggest.
    Regarding economics (Weber’s thesis), religion and economic ideologies continue to influence and resist one another.

8. Jennifer,
    Thanks for the post and the story…. it is a powerful one. I wonder though, if we shouldn’t all aspire to a faith and a religion that isn’t content with (only) providing comfort, but that also seeks to address the systems of oppression and injustice…..
    Not to be insensitive, but it seems to me that the ‘spirit house’ type religion could be compared to the Christianity we often encounter that offers up ‘thoughts and prayers’ but no tangible help…. it is, almost by design, not going to change anything.
    Of course, we know that Jesus called us to a different kind of faith – one that dares us to risk all to, quite literally, change the world, free the captives, heal the sick, feed the hungry, etc.