Reflections: Stereotype Threat and Unconscious Bias

Reading Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias by Dr. Pragya Agarwal, is a reflective process. It’s uncomfortable discussing bias due to my intersecting identities as a Caucasian American woman. I’m feeling awkward acknowledging the unconscious bias I experience as a female and as a former expatriate, while simultaneously feeling regretful of my unintentional biases. I’m painfully aware of the adjustments I’ve made to avoid getting hurt and how my silence may have impacted others. I relate to Agarwal’s personal story of losing part of her own identity and sense of belonging when faced with the unconscious biases of others.[1] Agarwal writes, “Awareness is always the first step. Only then can we address it.”[2]

Dr. Agarwal utilized multiple stories, theories, studies, and brain science to explain unconscious bias. I found this condensed definition helpful. The Dictionary of Organizational Behavior defines unconscious bias as, “The bias we bring into our judgements and decision-making without realizing we are doing so. Unconscious (or implicit) bias is based on factors such as our background, culture, and experiences and is often prevalent in situations where we need to make quick decisions. It is affected by the way that (unconsciously) we order and categorize people on the basis of factors such as age, gender, or nationality and make assumptions about their qualities. This process is inevitable to some extent and reduces the time it takes to process data, but it also introduces bias.”[3] Dr. Agarwal adds race, sexuality, disability, body size, and profession, etc. to the varied ways humans categorize people and from which bias develops.[4] Without realizing it unconscious bias may have devastating consequences to others, and to self. Agarwal asserts that we all have unconscious biases.[5] We need awareness as we have a moral responsibility to address them, because there is no excuse for discriminatory behavior.[6]

Key takeaways

• Humans have an inherent need to belong, so we look for and identify with an in-group.[7]
  • We all have multiple/intersecting identities which define us. When we focus on just one identity, we get an incomplete picture.[8]
  • Stereotype threat is when one fears that their performance may be viewed from a biased lens and this fear in turn impacts performance.[9]
  • Stereotypes whether positive or negative may not just impact behavior towards others, but also beliefs about self when identity, competence, social connectedness, and worth are challenged.[10]

Stereotype threat was a new concept for me, one I recognized within myself and my experiences. With both an affective and cognitive impact that increases stress, anxiety, and a heightened self-conscious awareness of performance, stereotypical threat poses a great challenge to maintaining a well-differentiated self. Agarwal described the uncomfortable experience as, “…a sense of physical discomfort, as the interplay of a physiological stress response, increased monitoring of performance situation, and the regulation of negative thoughts and emotions.”[11] This threat may contribute to a feedback loop that internalizes bias, leading to negative beliefs about self and actions that support those beliefs.

For example and by way of reflection, I never heard the following words from my parents, “children should be seen and not heard.” However, I recall being put in the hall for talking too much once in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. So great was my fear, by the time I reached 3rd grade I rarely spoke in class. I didn’t want to be in trouble and my discomfort at school rose considerably. Along the way I picked up subtle clues that I was not good at math, science, and sports. I feared those subjects intensely. By the time I got to university there were other stereotypical threats that hindered me as a female. One of which arose from the campus fellowship I attended. To my great confusion the term “Jezebel spirit” was tossed around. It seemed to be used when a woman was too assertive, had a different opinion, or didn’t “submit.” While no one accused me of any of those things, it certainly curtailed using my voice at church. My temperament and personality were well suited for missionary work in Southeast Asia in which a “quiet and gentle spirit” were prized and yet I feared not fitting in, over-stepping my bounds in different cultural settings, and likely minimized my skills. Living as a racial minority, a foreigner, and an American meant there were both subtle and not so subtle microaggressions due to explicit and implicit bias. Given that I was the guest and a kind-hearted Christian, I overlooked them. It didn’t mean that those experiences didn’t hurt.

These stereotypes reinforced the belief that my voice didn’t matter and my place as a woman was as a competent helper, not a leader. My own awareness moves me toward empathy for others.

What troubles me most is when unawareness of my own snap judgments based on my experiences, misunderstandings, and a one-dimensional view of another’s identity resulted in unconscious bias. As the brain science shows, it’s easy to do when one is stressed and in a new or threatening environment. I am grateful for the experience of living among diverse people groups as this has proven beneficial in reducing unconscious bias. However, I’m taking to heart the very helpful tips provided in the epilogue. I’m encouraged as they relate to leadership skills noted by previous authors. Here is my condensed version of Dr. Agarwal’s suggestions for tackling unconscious bias and stereotypes:

• Slow down and activate logical and rational thinking (This usually requires time to calm the body and process emotions)
  • Recognize that our own unconscious bias from our upbringing and environment may impact our judgments
  • Use generic language in order to avoid gendered norms and stereotypes
  • Create safe, non-judgmental spaces to discuss bias and microaggressions
  • If I am the micro-aggressor: use empathy, listen without becoming defensive, acknowledge the unconscious bias, and become an ally[12]

As Christians, we understand the desire to belong and the need for community are part of our design and calling. As we embark on a journey to become our truest selves in Christ, addressing our unconscious bias presents a new invitation to move us closer to that transformation. God has given us a new way of living together in community. A key aspect of that community is seeking and asking for forgiveness.

My reflection: Is there anyone I need to ask for forgiveness? Who might I need to forgive?

[1] Pragya Agarwal, Sway: Unraveling unconscious Bias (London, UK: Bloomsbury Sigma, 2020), 15.

[2] Agarwal, Sway, 11.

[3]  Emma Jeanes, A Dictionary of Organizational Behaviour, 2019. Accessed March 11, 2024.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/acref/9780191843273.001.0001/acref-9780191843273-e-304

[4] Agarwal, Sway, 18.

[5] Salon London: Unravelling Unconscious Bias with Dr. Pragya Agarwal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqW87y97RYM  Accessed March 9, 2024.

[10] Ibid.,144-145.

Jenny Dooley

Jenny served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for 28 years. She currently resides in Gig Harbor, Washington, where she works as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Spiritual Director in private practice with her husband, Eric. Jenny loves to listen and behold the image of God in others. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family which include 5 amazing adult children, 3 awesome sons-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and 8 delightful grandchildren.

4 responses to “Reflections: Stereotype Threat and Unconscious Bias”

Hi, Jenny,
    As always, you have crafted an informative post interspersed with the richness of your own experiences. I could especially relate to your comment: “These stereotypes reinforced the belief that my voice didn’t matter and my place as a woman was as a competent helper, not a leader. My own awareness moves me toward empathy for others.” Just recently I heard of a woman who stopped attending church. She mentioned that for years she was a leader in the workplace and community, but in church, all she was ever asked to do was make a casserole. She would pursue leadership roles, but they were reserved for men. She was not bitter, just tired of trying to change the tide. It made me realize that gender bias is still alive and well in the church.
    I’m curious, what helped you transition from how you viewed yourself as a leader as opposed to a helper?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Thank you for your kind words. The posts have been challenging for me the last few weeks with so much going on and a lot of travel (I’m in your time zone this week!). I’m never quite sure I’m making sense or if I am grasping the concepts. To answer your question, it started changing when I took on (rather begrudgingly) a leadership role at the international school my children attended in Vietnam. I was able to make some changes that brought people together, created formats for connection, conversation, and celebration in our diverse setting, and tackled some sticky situations that the Head of School greatly appreciated and validated. He actually encouraged me to pursue my masters degree and wrote my recommendation letter. It feels a bit strange, sad, and encouraging to me all at the same time as I reflect on the fact that the boost I needed came from outside the church and from a male leader who could have easily written me off as just another parent. I think he was very good at mining for gold, as Tom Camacho would say! Years later, I remain very grateful! This is not to say that I never felt encouragement while serving or leading small ministries in the church, but leadership in the church seems ill-defined for women, as your story illustrates. It is something we are just beginning to talk about in our churches in Asia. We have many female leaders who often feel confused about their leadership roles and could use more support and validation from male peers. Thanks for the question!

2. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Jenny!

I like your writing and analysis in the posts you share.
    I’m interested in the part where you say, “As Christians, we understand the desire to belong and the need for community is part of our design and calling. As we embark on a journey to become our truest selves in Christ, addressing our unconscious bias presents a new invitation to move us closer to that transformation. God has given us a new way of living together in community. A key aspect of that community is seeking and asking for forgiveness.”

In your view and experience, what are the risks and consequences of transformation that Christians can have when we address our unconscious bias?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Dinka, Thank you for the question. I wonder how saving face makes it challenging to discuss bias in Asia. We have challenges in the West…mostly our pride! I recently read an article that racism is only now being discussed in Asia so that offers hope. There is always the risk that open discussions can cause hurt feelings or damage relationships further. As Christians we have ample scriptural support for working out our differences and a command to love one another. I think it will take deeper and more honest communication, but I do believe the risks don’t outweigh the potential for transformation when we live out the Christian life more concerned about our neighbor than our own discomfort and are will to forgive and understand. Discussing bias brings with it the opportunity to take the log out our own eye. If we can normalize that process we have the potential to emerge transformed in some small way.