Rare Leadership, A Declining Movement (?), and More Questions

In Rare Leadership, Marcus Warner and Jim Wilder point to the brain’s “fast track system” as that part of the brain which “controls how we regulate emotions, how we remember who we are, who our people are, and how it is like us to act (that is, acting like the self God gave us).”[1] The fast track is optimized for leadership, whereas the brain’s “slow track” system “is optimized for management.[2] The slow track system’s “primary job is to monitor results and provide explanations and solutions to the problems we face.”[3]

The fast track system has to do with emotional intelligence (EQ). The slow track system has to do with results. I’ll come back to that in a minute, but let’s talk about an article on Substack. It relates to this subject.

On Tuesday, January 30, Dr. Anthony Bradley posted an article titled “The Gospel-Centered Movement, 2005-2023.”[4] Bradley highlighted what he believes to be the decline of a movement that many once referred to as “Young, Restless, and Reformed.” Among the many factors that contributed to the movement’s decline were various scandals or controversies surrounding some of the “movement’s” prominent names, mentioned by Bradley: Mark Driscoll, Tullian Tchividjian, Joshua Harris, and many more. Bradley also referenced a few organizations associated with some of these names, including The Gospel Coalition and Acts 29. Of course, some of these leadership controversies were discussed in detail in the popular long-form storytelling podcast produced by Mike Cosper and Christianity Today in 2021 and 2022: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill.[5]

Excursus: By the way, there’s a particular episode in the podcast – a bonus episode – that sheds more light on The Gospel Coalition, accountability, what denominations do well and what they don’t do so well, who platformed who (Bradley says that The Gospel Coalition platformed some of the leaders he mentioned, yet not everyone agrees that was the case) and more. It’s Mike Cosper’s interview with Tim Keller, which aired in July of 2022.[6]  It’s worth listening to, especially if you read Dr. Bradley’s article.

What happened?

Warner and Wilder ask a similar question regarding the moral failings of a particular organization they refer to in their book, failings that left behind a wake of “distrust, low joy, and a disintegrating ministry” for the leader who remained.[7]  Warner and Wilder ask, “How could this leadership failure happen?”[8] After all, “the team had all the information, education, and experience needed.”[9] Instead, “all the information had been learned on the slow-track brain system we use for management and not on the fast-track system we use for leadership and guidance.”[10]

Did this “gospel movement” in Bradley’s article experience a similar phenomenon to the moral failings highlighted in Warner and Wilder’s book? Were they lacking the tools necessary to relate to people, especially their congregations and their staff, in healthy ways indicative of emotional intelligence?

This subject of EQ is so critically important, particularly right now and especially in the world of church planting, pastoral leadership or renewal, and/or church revitalization. Warner and Wilder say that “many leaders (and pastors)…never receive any training in leadership.”[11] I agree. Just this morning, I asked my wife if she could remember any courses from our college that dealt with emotional intelligence, not to mention resilience in ministry or fast-track vs. slow-track systems in the brain. Neither of us could.

What’s the way forward?

On the same day (Tuesday, Jan. 30) Dr. Bradley’s article dropped, several pastors and church planters in our presbytery had the opportunity to hear from a clinical psychologist. His topic? Emotional Intelligence. Last fall, I asked the psychologist to be the subject matter expert in the room at our presbytery’s first church planting network quarterly for 2024.[12] This particular PhD serves as a mentor for a ministry that serves pastors across the country, but he also has a very local ministry presence. He serves as the director of counseling services at a nearby congregation.

Halfway through the presentation, I texted our committee’s chairperson: “We need to require (everyone in our presbytery) to go through a minimum of 3 – 6 sessions with (the psychologist)!” I can’t remember the last time I’ve taken so many notes. Thankfully, Warner and Wilder’s book has served as a great complement to the psychologist’s material.

Today, we need to remember that “leadership is learned.”[13] And part of that learning must include the building of the “more relational leadership habits”[14] related to the fast-track system of the brain. These habits “are built around identity and belonging.”[15] The “Who am I?” question must precede the “What am I to do?” question.[16] It is incumbent upon RARE leaders today, including those who serve in pastoral ministry, to continue “learning, improving, and developing these fast-track skills” so that they can “remain relational, act like themselves, return to joy, and endure hardships well.” [17]