Race…Let’s talk about it?

“Race did not give birth to racism. Racism gave birth to race.”[1]

I was apprehensive about this week’s reading. The idea of discussing race with my cohort was not one that I was looking forward to. I have had many discussions over the years about race, and they almost always end with someone triggered or offended. I attended a National Conference in the Fall of 2023 and one of the sessions focused on race relations within this particular Church Denomination. The speaker asked, “What is Race?” The room erupted in chatter and a few brave souls shouted out answers. The speaker then responded, “You are all wrong!” I couldn’t decide at that moment if he was brave or incredibly stupid. He then facilitated a discussion on how race is a social construct. He made this statement, “There is only one race, the human race!” Again, the room erupted! What followed was a spirited discussion, intense at times, which led to no real consensus, but was the backdrop for many small discussions for the rest of the conference. I left the conference wondering how it was possible for seemingly like-minded people to have so many different perspectives on race. I had a very unsettled feeling. That same feeling was present when I picked up Not So Black and White to read. I decided to alternate between two books to assist with this week’s assignment. I read the assigned book Not So Black and White by Kenan Malik and Racism, Not Race: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions by Joseph L. Graves and Alan H. Goodman.

How I Understood It

Race always seemed quite simple to me growing up. In my youth, the difference in your racial identity was pretty easy to visually distinguish. Joesph L. Graves and Alan H. Goodman articulate it this way, “So, race as a worldwide and social classification divides humans into groups based on assumptions about their appearance and ancestry.” [2] To summarize it in simpler terms, there was not a lot of complexity involved. You were either Black, White, Asian, Native American (we used American Indian or Indian), or Hispanic (Mexican was widely used at that time for all Hispanics). The “one-drop” rule (one- drop of anything other than white would put you in the “non-white” category) applied for those that were mixed race. It was a tremendous culture shock for me to go to College at Berkeley and discover that not only an expansive view of race but a rich cultural perspective. I also discovered that racism was not exclusively inflicted on African-Americans, racism has tentacles that are widespread. Not So Black and White offers a detailed, historical account of the origins of race as we know it today and “it retells the history of race against the background of contemporary concerns.”[3] I found some parts helpful and some parts harder to digest. I found a more comprehensive perspective of race in Racism, Not Race: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Is it a Social Construct?

I tend to stay away from conversations that race is a social construct. For me, it feels like a gloss over of the significance that race plays in our everyday lives. I appreciate the way Graves and Goodman state that, “You might have heard people say that race is “just” a social construct and therefore is not “real.” But equating a social construction with not being real is a mistake. A social construction becomes real in that it has real effects.”[4] If it is a social construct, it certainly has roots in a long history of racial inequality. Malik states, “The concept of race did not emerge out of nothing. Ideas about the inferiority and sub humanity of certain groups were already present.”[5]

The Answer?

The answers on how to define race vary depending on the source. Malik, Grave and Goodman all agree that historically race has evolved over time. The origin of race is rooted in a system based on inequality. I’m not sure that I fully agree with either of the authors. What I do agree with is that racism plays a big part in how we see each other and how we treat each other. Malik states,” Institutional racism of slavery and colonization gave vitality to the essentialist biological race concept. More briefly: racism made race.”[6] Racism made race!

[1] Kenan Malik, Not So Black and White: A History of Race From White Supremacy to Identity Politics (Somerset, London: C. Hurst & Company Ltd., 2023), 13.

[2] Joseph L. Graves and Alan H. Goodman, Racism, Not Race: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (New York: Columbia University Press, 2023), 5.

[3] Kenan Malik, Not So Black and White: A History of Race From White Supremacy to Identity Politics (Somerset, London: C. Hurst & Company Ltd., 2023), 7.

[4] Joseph L. Graves and Alan H. Goodman, Racism, Not Race: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (New York: Columbia University Press, 2023), 16.

[6] Joseph L. Graves and Alan H. Goodman, Racism, Not Race: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (New York: Columbia University Press, 2023), 5.

Jonita Fair-Payton

8 responses to “Race…Let’s talk about it?”

1. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Jonita, this is a very interesting post. I have not read those 2 books for I am in the DLGP.03. But do you mind if I ask you a question? So, the main idea of the reading is to say that there is no such thing as race? But the only race is human race?

Thanks, Jonita.

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Hi Noel,
      Both books discuss the origin of race and whether it is a social construct or an actual biological classification. If it is a social construct, it will be fluid and change over time. Likewise, if it is a social creation then it lends credibility to the argument that the only race is the human race.

Hi Jonita,

I was apprehensive too and really wrestled with getting my “butt in the seat” to write a blog! I think at times reading a person’s take on origins of ways of thinking is interesting, but can feel like it is boiling it down too simplistically in order to get to a “solution”. I also understood Malik to say that racism made race. It is the age old story that all power corrupts and causes barbarianism! Humans want power, and for us as leaders it seems that we must continue to distribute power, to continue to give name to injustice and recognize privilege. Thank you for your post and for being honest!

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Hey Jana,

I had so much difficulty with getting my thoughts organized enough to write this post. It’s hard to articulate in a way that can be based on the facts of the book when I have so many personal thoughts about it. I guess that’s where the Doctoral training should kick in and allow me to see it from an academic perspective. I’m pretty sure I failed this time…I’m okay with that. I agree with you that as leaders we have to be committed to distributing the power and working towards an equitable balance. We have not been called to easy work, but we have been called to necessary work. I am grateful to be in this with you.

Great post, very tricky subject when it comes to race. Anytime identity is involved it is hard for strong emotions to not be present. Thanks for sharing your struggle with this subject, interestingly I’ve started a shadow work journal after reading Annabel Beerel’s “Rethinking Leadership” and I started having dreams, which they say is normal for your mind to process some repressed emotions. Well lo and behold racism shows up immediately and I woke up in a panic. A lot of emotions there that I didn’t realise I had around this subject, at least not in this season of life. It was a major issue growing up, but I thought I was past all that. Guess not. Thanks for sharing your honest ideas around this book, very helptful, you never disappoint!

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Hey Adam,

It’s so interesting that your dreams are revealing areas that have been repressed. I am having a similar experience in this season. I’m not sure if it is the material that we are reading or the fact that we have reached a more demanding point in the program or exhaustion. I am so impressed that you are shadow journaling…this will lead to amazing revelations. I am so grateful for you, Adam.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around all of this but when you mentioned the “expansive view of race but a rich cultural perspective,” I think I had an “ah-ha” moment. I’ve been struggling to understand the racism caused race argument – I don’t disagree – I am just trying to more deeply get it. When you reminded me of the rich cultural perspective, that is what made me wonder if race (not racism) can be a good thing, a thing that brings pride to a group of people, identity, cohesiveness, or rich culture. With all of our readings about identity politics etc. it has seemed to me that most of the authors are trying to say, “There is only one race, the human race!” yet, when we do that we forget about the rich cultural history “races” can share. Someone’s culture history is going to dominate and dictate a culture and at least by forming identity groups or race groups, other cultural histories can be brought forward. If we want to get to a place where we truly celebrate all peoples, then I think we also need a greater appreciation and understanding of people’s “rich cultural history.” Does this make sense at all?

• mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Hi Kally,

I struggled with this week’s reading also…so much so that I sought the additional source. It took a few trys to get something on the page.

Yes, Kally…this is exactly where we need to be, “If we want to get to a place where we truly celebrate all peoples, then I think we also need a greater appreciation and understanding of people’s “rich cultural history.” If we can see each other, appreciate and celebrate…we can achieve a level of connection that makes some of these arguments pointless.

As for racism creating race…the need to classify one group of people as inferior forced racial classifications that solidify this division. Any cultural difference is fruit of the poisonous tree, it is used to support the narrative of inferiority. Racism doesn’t celebrate anything but the superiority of one race over another.