Pure Desire for Something More

“Unless we attend to these deeper workings of culture, Theological reflection will miss the most profound challenge of consumerism–the commodification of culture–the reduction of religious beliefs, symbols, and values to objects of consumption.[1]

What is My Desire?

Truth be told, when I saw what was scheduled on my calendar from June 28-July 1, 2023, I came very close to canceling my plans and just staying home to pack for my Dad’s funeral.  I wish I could say I chose to keep the commitment for loftier reasons, but it was my husband, Brad, who insisted I keep my two night reservation at Mount Angel Abbey in Mount Angel, Oregon.  There were things I wanted to talk about with God: longings, failures, hurts, expectations; however, I could only imagine that I would talk to God about the sudden loss of my Father, a person with whom I spoke to everyday on the phone since the day I left for college.  In the midst of a very busy season of travel, writing projects and family gatherings, I was aware of the inner chaos that needed attention. So I kept my commitment out of desperation and my history with God. Just days before, a friend handed me Trevor Hudson’s book, Seeking God: Finding Another Kind of Life with St. Ignatius and Dallas Willard.  Hudson uses the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius as an outline for our seeking journey. Sitting on the top of the sun-filled roof terrace my first afternoon, I read the first Ignatian question: “What one word would describe the general mood of your life and faith right now? Tell God why you choose this word, and ask God to shed light on what your next step along the seeking path may look like.”[2]

What Is Culture’s Desire For Me?

As strange as it may sound, the Ignatian questions posed to my soul the following two days and my honest responses, stayed with me for weeks, even months. The practice of being alone with God outside of my normal routine was radical because as Ruth Haley Barton says, “Challenge[s] us on the level of culture: there is little in Western culture that supports us into what feels like unproductive time for being and listening.”[3]  What I always take with me after days alone with God is a deep knowledge of my desire for something more: a desire to move beyond religion, distraction, and the real problem that Vincent Miller presents in his book this week, Consuming Religion, “Everything that was once directly lived has moved away into representation–religion is reduced to commodified consumer content.”[4]

Who Controls Our Desires?

If the readings this year have told us anything, they tell us that the social world in which we live–at least for the majority of people in advanced societies, have habits and tendencies formed by consumption. We learned from Polanyi[5] about the Great Embedding: if human beings are fallen then people will exchange community for commodities by acting selfishly when transactions are not submerged in social relationships. We also learned about the Protestant Ethic from Max Weber[6] who argued that hard work, thriftiness, and discipline of self are marks of God’s favor; the only way we could know we are saved is through money–make capital and produce wealth.  And, Bebbington, who was obsessed with epistemology through Evangelicalism from 1700s-1980s. Finally, Clark[7] who claims it was consumer culture and behaviors. He argued that Bebbington was partly right that knowledge was power but capitalism was the problem–people began to base their faith in God on things.

Does Consumer Culture Form Our Desires?

Like the books mentioned above, Miller’s map making takes us deeper into consumer culture by adding one more layer about the haunting problem of commodification of culture. Much of the book details how things became valued in exchange for our very lives as we saw a fundamental shift from “being” to “having.”  He writes, “Not only has consumer culture succeeded in turning countless people into shallow narcissists, but it has also encompassed those who attempt to hold out against religious traditions.”[8] I found myself deeply relieved as he ended the book with hope as he argued that consumer culture is not a culture but a, “set of interpretative habits.”[9]  Miller ends the book with tacit proposals for addressing the dangers of consumer culture. “Good,” I thought to myself, “We just need to meet in smaller spaces and give others the lead in writing our liturgies.”

Pure Desire for Something More

But those ideas alone don’t feel satisfying to all we have read.  It’s here where I recall Miller’s chapter 4 titled, “Desire and The Kingdom of God,” where he discusses how human beings find their most ultimate meaning.  The human spirit cannot find satisfaction with anything that is finite.  As I finished Miller’s book, I almost wanted to sidestep this truth because even though I can spend two days alone with God, pray throughout my day and worship our Creator with words and music, I find myself increasingly frustrated at myself when I look at my life: I am caught between a deep longing for God and a deep desire to consume things. Is God alone whom I enjoy? Am I willing to see my idolatrous attachments? If only things were so simple.

How do you attend to the deeper workings of culture as a Christian leader?  For now, I remind myself of Augustine’s opening lines of The Confessions:  “You have made us for Yourself and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in thee.”[10]

[1] Miller, Vincent. Consuming Religion. P. 19

[2] Hudson, Trevor. Seeking God: Finding Another Kind of Life With St. Ignatius and Dallas Willard. p.21.

[3] Barton, Ruth Haley.  Invitation to Solitude and Silence. P. 31.

[4] Miller, Vincent, Consuming Religion. P. 96

[5] Polanyi,Karl.  The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time.

[6]  Max Weber, “The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.”

[7] Clark, Jason.  Clark, Jason. Evangelicalism and Capitalism (Ch. 4 ‘The Great Disembebbing: The Search for Identity Within the Market’ Online Chat. October 23, 2023.

[8] Miller, Vincent, Consuming Religion:Christian Faith and Practice in a Consumer Culture. 2004 P. 144

[9] Miller, Vincent. Consuming Religion. P. 194

[10] Miller, Vincent, Consuming Religion. P. 117.

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

11 responses to “Pure Desire for Something More”

I was unsatisfied with the solutions he gave as well. It seems there should be more. To be honest, they didn’t really feel like solutions. This isn’t much of a comment as I’m really still trying to figure out what Miller was saying. I did appreciate your musings and Augustine’s quote at the end! Our hearts *are* restless until they find rest in God. Thanks Pam!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kally,
      In your line of work and ministry, what would you say is hopeful way forward considering all Vincent Miller unpacked in his book? What keeps us from consumer mentality at all?

I appreciate your vulnerability in this post, Pam. And I love that you brought it around to rest, that is finding our ultimate and satisfying rest in Christ. Too often I find that I’ve exhausted myself by chasing after all the wrong things, trying to fulfill all my desires other than my deep desire for God.
    I was reflecting on this a bit this week as our church is reading the book of Hosea. The Israelites’ idolatry seems so flagrant, so unabashed when they worshiped the golden calf or sacrificed to the baals. And yet to them, their actions seemed justified. In the same way, I can be blind to my own idolatry or tolerate it making all sorts of justifications. Of course this train of thought led me to confession and repentance but then I also noticed something interesting in Hosea 11. Even as God describes the people’s idolatry, He says His compassion is aroused within Him. He will call His people back (albeit with a roar!). May we hear His call to return to Him, abandon our idols and rest in Him.

3. mm Pam Lau says:

Kim,
    Thank you for the image and picture of God’s compassion pouring over his idolatrous people! It’s just astounding really. Perhaps you’ve answered Vincent Miller’s question with the only true hopeful solution which is God’s compassionate response to us. I’d love to hear more about your response to Miller. I’ll head over to your post!

4. Cathy Glei says:

Pam,
    Thank you for your post. I’ll have to add Trevor Hudson’s book, Seeking God: Finding Another Kind of Life with St. Ignatius and Dallas Willard to my reading list. I appreciate the reflective questions like, “What one word would describe the general mood of your life and faith right now?” These invite us to pause and respond. Baby steps. . . grace. . . when we know better, we can do better.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kathy,
      As you have read the books by Weber, Bebbington, Miller and even Jason’s Clarks works, what is something you would share with your adult children if you could pass wisdom along to them? I’m often so focused on self-reflection and self-awareness with my faith that I am not aware of consumerism. I need to grow in that area.

Hi Pam,
    You wrote, “We learned from Polanyi[5] about the Great Embedding: if human beings are fallen then people will exchange community for commodities by acting selfishly when transactions are not submerged in social relationships”

Yes, let us be aware, but I sort of get how we need to meet the consumer society where they are. Lure them in with consumer bait and ZAP them with unconditional love!

Works all the time!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Russell,
      I have a dear friend who sells Arbonne and she is a super seller, fantastic human with the ability to convince anyone to buy her expensive protein powders and facial creams. When I first met her and she added me to her “texting” list with promotionals, I told her I didn’t want that kind of interaction with her — I wanted her friendship first. LOL! She was so gracious and kind and stopped sending me texts like that but she never, ever backed off on her fabulous friendship and that’s what made her selling so much easier to swallow! To your point, we need consumerism but unconditional love must be permeated in all we do and say. Good word, Russell!

Appreciate your quote from Augustine. All of these conversations remind me of another one of his famous sayings, “Love God and do whatever you please: for the soul trained in love to God will do nothing to offend the One who is Beloved.”

I agree Pam, all of these authors cause me to examine my heart and motive. Why am I buying this? Why am I working so hard? Why am I not satisfied? I also like what Dr. Clark said, there are people who have fortunes with great hearts and their are people with very little with selfish ones and visa versa. Our lead pastor says, whatever we do can be a way to escape life / fill an empty void or a way to celebrate and appreciate it. There is no substitute for spiritual fulfillment in God. There is a great potential in America for consumerism to distract us from “the One” and redirect our desires. Great posts!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Adam,
      Thank you for more helpful quotes. So what do you do with the pull toward consumerism as a pastor? A husband? A father? I am rethinking my Christmas list this year! LOL!

I am glad you pointed out how it’s a matter of the heart – not what we have but what we give. I know for me this week, it’s my goal to be more of an Illuminator and not a Diminisher. Perhaps I will have more understanding of being a better human with my people!

• Adam Harris says:

I was thinking the same thing Pam! These books almost make me want to say, no presents this year gang!! lol This is something we have to navigate in the west. Years ago I was talking with a missionary friend who said he noticed competition and envy among the tribes people in the village where he was serving at specifically around the number of chickens people had. He noticed certain vices seem to be ingrained in human nature. I think this is amplified in America with advertisements and online content, but it is a heart and, I think, spiritual / emotional / relational issue.

A win for me as a Dad and husband is cultivating a family that is generous. I love it when I see my kids quickly give something away to others or ask if they can buy something for someone who needs it. As parents we’re praying this is being taught and caught in our household! From what I know of you, you are certainly an illuminator Pam!