Protestant Work Ethic

In the past few weeks we have been reading books that were a challenge to me, not so much because they were difficult reads, but up until last week, I had a very hard time connecting with the books. Mainly because I have a hard time connecting with socialism as a viable method of government. The books we have read this semester, for the most part, have had a socialist mindset. I was excited to read the title of this weeks book because I have been looking forward to a book written from a different point of view. Max Weber’s treatise The Protestant Ethic and the “Spirit” of Capitalism and Other Writings was an interesting take in that he argues the root of capitalism is protestantism.

So who is Max Weber, well,, he was a German sociologist born into a household of conflicting ideas. The son of a liberal politician and strict calvinist mother, thus he was raised in a very authoritarian home. [1] He was a brilliant man who suffered from an incapacitating nervous breakdown during which time it is believed “led him to develop brilliant insights into the relationship of Calvinist morality and compulsive labour, into the relationship between various religious ethics and social and economic processes” [2]  The idea that a protestant worldview would influence the rise of capitalism is the opposite conclusion that many other sociologists came to. Instead of seeing religion as the “opiate of the masses” as seen in Marx’s work, the idea being religion is what the elite capitalists use to control the workers and get what they want from them, Weber argues the “Protestant work ethic” is a result of, in my words, working to please God.

An interesting aspect that Weber argues is the ” ‘spirit of labor’… which is customarily attributed to Protestantism,…be understood in an ‘Enlightenment’ sense. The old Protestantism of sum men as Luther, Calvin, Knox or Voet had little to do with what is today called ‘progress’. It was directly hostile to who aspects of modern life which today even the most extreme sectarian would not with to do away with”[3] His argument here is that the reformers would not have been on board with capitalism at all. Instead he argues his idea comes from a different source altogether. So where does this come from, this idea that religion, specifically protestants are the fuel for capitalism? Weber argues it comes from a desire to prove that God’s blessings are deserved because I have worked hard and my job is my callings in life. No longer is just ministry a calling but where ever one works is where one is called, and if one is called then we are to follow scripture and “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23). I have to do a good job for God so that he will bless me, or as Weber writes “sobriety and hard work in one’s calling throughout life”[4] is part of the Protestant ethic pushing capitalism.

So where does that leave me in my research, why are Souther Baptist churches filled with people who are self centered. Why is it so important for the church one chooses to belong have the latest and the greatest of all the things that make a great stage show. Why are worship leaders more akin to rock stars than to Billy Graham. This is the thing that frustrates some pastors to the point of burn out. If you are not a pastor in a church where these things are not the norm many times you are seen as a failure and dropped for the next pastor who can take us “to the next level”. It seems it is no longer just enough to be a shepherd, you must also be a super star. Never mind the fact that 60% of churches in the U.S. are between 1-99 in attendance.[5] This puts undo pressure on pastors and the result is pastors in the Southern Baptist Convention is 6 years, and while that is up from approximately 3.5 years since 1996 [6], it still is frustrating for most pastors. In fact, as I have talked to many pastors, most feel that it takes at least five years to even feel like you are moving the church in a direction you feel God leading. As a youth minster for many years, I always found this to be true, most would refer to me as “the” youth guy until about 4-5 years in, then I became “our” youth minister.

So how do I react to a book that says capitalism (which I believe to be the lesser of two evils) is the result of a protestant work ethic (of which I am a pastor) and still find a why to make church not about me. Well, I guess the answer lies in the leaders themselves. If the leader makes the church all about numbers then that is what they will strive for, the best and the biggest. If a leader strives to make Christ followers, they may have a big church, they may have a small church, but they will be at peace with what God has led them to do. I think it all comes down to be able to reconcile your own ego with where you are serving. Do your best as a pastor and leave the worrying about worldly things to others.

[1]”Max Weber | Biography, Theory, & Books”, Encyclopedia Britannica, last modified 2018, accessed March 8, 2018, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Max-Weber-German-sociologist.

[3] Weber, Max, Peter R Baehr, and Gordon C Wells. The Protestant Ethic And The “Spirit” Of Capitalism And Other Writings. New York [u.a.]: Penguin Books, 2012. p. 7.

[4] Ibid. p 208.

[5] Fast Facts about American Religion. Accessed March 08, 2018. http://hirr.hartsem.edu/research/fastfacts/fast_facts.html#sizecong.

[6] Thom Rainer. “Six Reasons Pastoral Tenure May Be Increasing.” ThomRainer.com. June 19, 2017. Accessed March 08, 2018. https://thomrainer.com/2017/03/six-reasons-pastoral-tenure-may-be-increasing/.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

10 responses to “Protestant Work Ethic”

1. M. Webb says:

Jason,
    Nice “bio” work on Weber. I would question the relationship between “nervous breakdown” and developing brilliant insights into theological matters. There are several examples in the Bible of folks going crazy but coming out the other end with secret spiritual matters associated with Weber sounds gnostic and suspicious.
    Weber does support a Protestant work ethic that is focused on working to please God like you say. I think we are supposed to work hard too. Not for the blessing, but out of our duty and responsibility to our creator God.
    Reconciling your ego against God’s calling to be a pastor, that sounds like a discussion many of us would like to sit in on. “J” you are a good man, faithful husband and father, and divinely appointed shepherd pastor for the people the Holy Spirit has and will put before you. What a great adventure with the Lord!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      Thanks for your encouragement. I do think there is something to a nervous breakdown and God teaching you something on the other side of it, not sure if it’s mysterious but sometimes we have to be knocked on our butts to see what God has for us.It has happened to me many times.

Jason, Great connections. It is frustrating what the average church is compared to. Its impossible to compare to the worship of Hillsong and the teaching of Andy Stanley. This work ethic is projected onto pastors, we have to go to the next level! Everything is always next level. Capitalists expand their companies by opening new branches and protestant churches expand their influence by planting new campuses across town. Is this good for the Kingdom?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Kyle,
      My wife and I were having a discussion with an old friend, she was telling him what she does and to be honest she has a very good job. Any way, she said something that made me catch my breath, she said “Jason works much harder than I do, he just does not get paid well for it”. I will be honest this was hard to hear but upon further reflection, I do get paid well…in the relationships and the seeds sown for God. I guess it is all a perspective thing. Not that my wife was putting down what I do, she really was trying to explain to a non believer how hard pastors really work. Most of us will never be in the Andy Stanley land and that is just fine with me.

Hi Jason,

Great Scripture usage. “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23)

Christian workers ought to be the hardest working of them all!

I thought your research was thorough for this writing, and then I thought you backed it up. Well done my Brother!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      My boys say this to themselves every morning on the way to school. What ever we do, do it for God. It is a great way to start the day.

Jason,
    I can see how easy it is to fall into the trap of the bigger is better mentality that so many get caught up in. This idea that God bless and that equates to number or more giving is (as my southern mother would say) hog-wash. Now I have been out of the American church game for more than 12 years. I have been to conventions (or assemblies as my tribe calls it) and heard the numbers game proclaimed while thinking “tell me about changed lives.” It is easy to get discouraged that we are not like….those other guys. How do we keep the people we are called to shepherd focused on what is important? That is something I think about often for my team as well. Keep on reading and keep on thinking about what your call is and not the neighboring church. Thanks brother.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Greg,
      The hardest thing we do, keep people looking towards God, and not what they have. It is a grind having that conversation over and over but in our culture…necessary.

5. Dave Watermulder says:

Hey Jason,
    Thanks for this post. I enjoyed your survey about who Weber was, and some of the influences that shaped his life. I also thought your pivot to self-reflection and to considering the “capitalistic” pressures on churches and pastors these days was good. I think pastors across the spectrum will resonate with a lot of what you were expressing here– maybe we need to blame Max Weber! 🙂

6. Chris Pritchett says:

I can really see your heart for pastors in this, with particular attention to the things that lead to burnout. I agree that it probably takes 5 years just to establish the relationship, especially with churches that have been established for multiple generations. I have compassion though for pastors who are basically used and abused by their churches’ dysfunctions and don’t blame them when they feel the need to leave for their own healthy or their family’s.