Preach the Gospel at All Times and if Necessary, Use Words

Humanism adheres to the understanding that each human has value and dignity; because of that inherent value humans have no need of religion to define what is moral/ethical/good. Humans can be good without God. Postmodern thinkers push back on the “one truth” because one’s experience is more revelatory to define one’s truth; truth is relative.  Humanists and Postmodernists would find agreement that religion does not have value or truth in human life and does not have impact in shaping communal life. These ideologies are a couple of the characters in the drama that historian and author Tom Holland presents in his book, Dominion: The Making of the Western Mind. The theme of the drama subversive dominion of Christianity in shaping Western culture and identity.  Holland’s argument is that the far and deep reach of Christianity for the last 2000 years has left its indelible mark on humanity, so much so that the humanists and postmodernists are unable to begin to untangle their ideologies from Christianity.[1]

My approach to this week’s “reading” included watching the Theos Annual Lecture of Tom Holland as well as reading a number of reviews and summaries of Holland’s book.  Chris Greens Blog was insightful for framing the intention of Holland’s work when he says, “Holland is clear: this is not a history of Christianity (it’s narrower and more selective), nor is it a history of Christian thought or theology.  It’s an account of the impact Christianity has had in shaping the assumptions of Western culture.”[2] Understanding that Holland’s objective was to offer history at the intersection of Christianity impact helped me read other summaries from a critical thought mindset.

I found a number of Holland’s historical points in his lecture interesting.  In particular, his segment on the Great Repackaging, Holland rehearses how the development of human rights, that found its shape within Christian concepts, was divorced from it during the American Revolution and repackaged as universal; human rights were just assumed as being eternal.[3]  Holland reveals that a lesson learned during this time was that by repackaging Christian concepts for non-Christian audiences the moral/ethical moorings would be embraced. Although I am not convinced this is a new learning, for Paul modeled a similar approach when conversing with the Stoics in Acts 17:22-31.  And St Francis of Assisi is known to have said, “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words.” What I appreciate about this historical tidbit Holland offers is he sheds light on how cyclical the means of communicating the Gospel is in history.  It seems we are in another historical moment that requires the repackaging of Christian concepts. My doctoral project is shaped by this notion.

But I also recognize that for many orthodox Christians, the very notion of repackaging feels heretical.  Holland shares in his lecture that change was sinister to Rome.[4] In these days it seems that Christians are embodying Rome’s fear.  We have let go of our Christian identity that was lived by what Holland described, “glorification of revolution.”[5]  In an article about Tom Holland, the author summarizes how Holland understands the impact Christians resistance to change has had on the faith, “Sadly, we often promote Christianity as a way to do culture better rather than as a way to be countercultural. The Gospel isn’t about mastering the power of this world but about bringing Godly power to bear on earth as it is in heaven.”[6]

During the section of his lecture entitled, Humanism: A Biblical Prophecy, Holland argues here that humanism is not a deliverance from Christianity but reveals the paradox that “Christianity has no need for Christians for its assumptions to still flourish.”[7] I could not help but here the echoes of Jesus rebuke to the Pharisees request for Jesus to tell his disciples to be quiet during his triumphant entry into Jerusalem, “I tell you, if these should be silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”[8] How convicting it is to hear the challenge of Jesus’ words.  But it also reveals to me the messy nature of being revolutionary while contextualizing the Gospel truth in a postmodern time.  What does it mean to embody the Gospel like St Assisi and not shirking the boldness of the stones? How do we “not become the monster”[9] and not avoid the obligation to be a part of the transformative work of God?

Humanists and Postmodernists will continue to be characters in God’s drama of human history.  My hope is that my project will be one of the scenery sets that human rights and the struggle humans have with good and evil will take place.  Who knows how many takes will happen….well….God knows.

[1] Theos Annual Lecture 2022: Tom Holland, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGQ6FIFLps.

[2] Green, Chris. “Chris’s Blog: Book Review for Pastors – Tom Holland, Dominion: The Making of the Western Mind (London: Little, Brown, 2019),” October 26, 2019. https://ministrynutsandbolts.com/2019/10/26/chriss-blog-book-review-for-pastors-tom-holland-dominion-the-making-of-the-western-mind-london-little-brown-2019/.

[3] Theos Annual Lecture 2022: Tom Holland, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGQ6FIFLps

[6] Unbelievable? “Tom Holland: ‘I Began to Realise That Actually, in Almost Every Way, I Am Christian.’” Unbelievable? (blog), September 17, 2020. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/unbelievable/2020/09/tom-holland-i-began-to-realise-that-actually-in-almost-every-way-i-am-christian/.

[7] Theos Annual Lecture 2022: Tom Holland, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGQ6FIFLps

[8] Luke 19:39-40. House, Charisma. MEV Bible Thinline Reference: Modern English Version. Illustrated edition. Charisma House, 2014.

[9] Theos Annual Lecture 2022: Tom Holland, 2022. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGQ6FIFLps

Nicole Richardson

PC(USA) pastor serving a church in Kansas City. In my spare time I teach yoga and scuba diving

7 responses to “Preach the Gospel at All Times and if Necessary, Use Words”

1. mm Andy Hale says:

Nicole,

Thank you for your insightful post. In what way has Holland’s research benefited your doctoral thesis?

Nicole, this post was a great read.I like the way you relate the content of the lecture to this moment in history for the church. Can you say more about this: “It seems we are in another historical moment that requires the repackaging of Christian concepts.” I look forward to seeing your project, but can you give a short version of what that looks like?

3. mm Denise Johnson says:

Well done, Nicole!
    There are so many great nuggets in this post. I curious about your thoughts about, how the revolutionary nature of Christianity can be brought into our “beloved liturgies”? Is there a way to upset the apple cart without losing all the apples? Or just a few? You are so creative in how you lead worship; I am sure this has created an atmosphere of revolution for some. Is it possible to be both revolutionary and create an atmosphere of safety?

Insightful blog and perspective. If I were with you in person, I would ask you about your title – can you unpack that you think about the phrase, “Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words”?

5. Kayli Hillebrand says:

Nicole: Could you expand a bit on “My hope is that my project will be one of the scenery sets that human rights and the struggle humans have with good and evil will take place” now that your project has been submitted? What could this physically look like as you think on it?

Nicole: I also thought that the ‘repackaging’ point Holland makes about turning Christian values into Universal values so they are more readily acceptable was interesting. I had never thought of it like that before on such a global scale but it seemed to have had an influence. Such a helpful book and there is so much to learn from history.

7. Elmarie Parker says:

Hey Nicole…thank you so very much for your thoughtful and thought-provoking post! The way you write helps me to enter into your thinking journey with Holland’s work. I love this question that you posed: “What does it mean to embody the Gospel like St Assisi and not shirking the boldness of the stones?” It captures well some of the spectrum of conversation I have had in Iraq this week. As you sit with this question you’ve asked, what further thoughts have come to mind?