Postmodernism…What is Ultimately True?

“We need and desperately want to make sense of our world: to compose/dwell in some conviction of what is ultimately true.”[1]

But what is ultimately true? Can we really know? These questions, steeped in skepticism, form the basis of postmodern thinking. It seems to have set the societal tone in how life, truth, and faith are approached. Especially in the realm of faith, we are seeing so many “deconstruct” their faith. Truth is a relative concept. Man is unable to formulate truth, well, ‘truthfully.’ According to one of the postmodernist thinkers, Hadyn White, “man is not able to stand outside of society and history and thus generate objective and truthful knowledge.”[2]

Before this semester, I had heard much about postmodernism and understood it to some extent, but did not truly understand all its implications. I am not a philosophical thinker who enjoys debate or one who avidly reviews the historical evolution of various streams of thought.  However, this semester’s readings have stretched me greatly in gaining a greater understanding of why we, as a society, are where we are. According to one site, postmodernism questions primary sources, claims all are biased, and sees all narratives as skewed and inadequate.[3]

Steven Hicks, in his book, “Postmodernism,” takes a long look back as to how postmodernism evolved and gained traction as an adverse reaction to the Enlightenment.  Hicks explains:

“Postmodernism rejects the Enlightenment project in the most fundamental way possible, attacking its essential philosophical themes…rejects the reason and the individualism that the entire Enlightenment world depends upon. And so, it ends up attacking all of the consequences of the enlightenment philosophy from capitalism and liberal forms of government to science and technology.”[4]

Hicks and Petrusik take similar views regarding the explanation of postmodern thinking. Petrusik highlights that the basic assumption of postmodernism is that “language is a socially constructed phenomenon, constructed by those who are in power. A point of view becomes superior to others because it is “my” point of view. [5] Hicks does not only explains postmodernism but seems to expose its contradictions, seeing its conclusions as “rarely consistent.” Here are his examples:

• “On the one hand, all truth is relative; on the other hand, postmodernism tells it like it really is.
  • On the one hand, all cultures are equally deserving of respect; on the other, Western culture is uniquely destructive and bad.
  • Values are subjective – but sexism and racism are really evil.
  • Technology is bad and destructive – and it is unfair that some people have more technology than others.
  • Tolerance is good and dominance is bad – but when postmodernists come to power, political correctness follows.”[6]

These contradictions cause me to wonder how postmodernism has gained such traction. My parents both lived during WWII and often talked of Hitler and Naziism. Hitler had steeped himself in the philosophies that are considered by some as close older cousins of postmodernism: fascism and socialism. Did these philosophies aid the degradation that would ensue, or did Hitler simply misuse the philosophical intent? I thought I would do a little digging to gain more understanding.

George J. Marlin’s article in “The Catholic Thing” seemed to conclude that philosophers like Nietzche aided Hitler’s disturbed thinking. He believes Hitler gained his “disdain for democracy from Nietzsche because democracy encouraged mediocrity.[7]“He admired Nietzsche’s warrior spirit and call for violence to achieve political ends: “Brutality is respectful.”[8]

Another site mentioned that Hitler simply wanted to look the part of a thinker. “Thinkers such as Kant, Hegel, and Nietzsche were as sacred to the German people as Shakespeare and Dickens were to the British or Thomas Jefferson and Mark Twain to the Americans. Hitler’s fervent desire to be the most authentic of all Germans made these iconic figures deeply alluring and his egotism extended to a fantasy that he himself was a great thinker.”[9]

I may have gone down a rabbit trail but I wonder how a whole nation could give in to an ideology that was so destructive only less than a century ago. Somehow truth was skewed to fit an agenda that had gone awry. One that had no sense of adherence to Scriptural truth that had its basis in the righteousness of God.  It makes me wonder if we, as an American society, could one day be in the same predicament under a deeply evil rule that claimed their own truth. I pray not. May we hold to the God, our Savior, who guides us in all truth.  (Psalm 25:5)

I come back to Hadyn White’s assertion that man is not capable of truth within himself. I personally believe this. The sad thing is, is that post-modern thinking has no source of truth whereas, Christianity does rely on a truth outside of the human realm.

[1] Peterson, G. (2001) “Religion as Orienting Worldview”, Zygon 36 (March) 1, 5-19.

[2] Postmodernism, History and Adolf Hitler, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnnYcAJ5MM.

[3] Postmodernism, History, and Adolf Hitler.

[4] Stephen R. C. Hicks, Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault, 3rd Ed. (Ockham’s Razor Publishing, n.d.). 14.

[5] Matthew Petrusek on Evangelizing the Political Culture | EWTN News Nightly, 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zlDXJ8A5Rs.

[6] Stephen R. C. Hicks, Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault. 184.

[7] George J. Marlin, “Hitler’s Philosophical Enablers,” The Catholic Thing, June 12, 2013, https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2013/06/12/hitlers-philosophical-enablers/.

[8] Marlin.

[9]“Hitler: The Philosopher Führer | History Today,” accessed March 7, 2024, https://www.historytoday.com/archive/hitler-philosopher-f%C3%BChrer.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

13 responses to “Postmodernism…What is Ultimately True?”

Hi Esther,
    Thank you for highlighting the inconsistencies and contradictions of postmodern thinking. It seems to me to be part of our human and sin natures to be able to wildly contradict ourselves and not even realize it, or own it. Being aware of our own flaws, incorrect thinking and inability to take perspective and consider other possibilities is a gift that takes practice. It seems Hicks mentioned something about shame, maybe of being wrong that played a role in the development of postmodernism, at least as it related to the failure of socialism. In a way postmodern thinking makes me feel sad as is seems to be a lazy way of thinking. And yet we have to strive so hard to understand it! For a postmodernist, if everything is meaningless and can’t be understood, then what is the point of thinking deeply about anything? I enjoyed your rabbit trail into WWII and German thinkers!

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Jenny,
      I had to chuckle when I read your sentence…
      “And yet we have to strive so hard to understand it!” I am with you here! This book helped me understand it a bit more but when I listen to various YouTube videos that explain the positive rationale, it still leaves me hazy. I’m curious. How has the post-modernist philosophy affected the Southeast Asian countries?

I’m glad you highlighted the inherent contradictions in postmodernism. I noticed that too, and actually that’s much of what I sense when I interact with society’s current cancel culture direction. It’s just not consistent with its own tenets.

These two especially stood out:
    On the one hand, all truth is relative; on the other hand, postmodernism tells it like it really is.
    On the one hand, all cultures are equally deserving of respect; on the other, Western culture is uniquely destructive and bad.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Esther!

• Esther Edwards says:

Thanks for your response, Kim. It was helpful for me to see some of the discrepancies to be able to, as Petrusik mentioned, engage in informed dialogue, although there is still much to gain understanding in.

3. Esther! I really didn’t have to read the book…just reading your post was sufficient. Thank you for helping me to understand this movement a little better. Your first quote was so powerful, I had to read it three times before I read the rest of your blog. That quote is so true. We desperately need to make sense of our world…conviction…true…
    Esther, as you already know, right from the very beginning, babies need safety, loving foundation, consistency, truth about their existence. That’s what I saw you and your hubby providing in that picture with your grandchild. 😊
    To develop emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and socially, we need according to you blog to see truth outside ourselves, coming from a greater Person. Thank you for that my friend.

• Esther Edwards says:

Todd,
      Glad I could help because it was truly hard to wrap my mind around. Thank you for making the connection of what babies need. As I look at our little “Ellie,” it would be pretty sad to teach her that there is no solid truth to hold on to in life. Thank you for your response!

• Esther Edwards says:

Todd – Thanks for bringing attention to m yopening quote. I just realized I had not cited it. (It wasn’t my own genius but someone else’s!)

4. Cathy Glei says:

Esther,
    Thank you for sharing your reflections. I too wonder how postmodernism has gained such traction? I sometimes wonder if the hurried lives individuals live or the busyness that I find myself in steers our minds in such a way that we lose sensitivity and awareness to movements like this around us, as evident in our own thinking and habits? Something to chew on. . . Thank you!

• Esther Edwards says:

So true, Cathy. Our busy lives often don’t allow us to stop and process through the ins and outs of the philosophies that pervade our culture. If find when I don’t know enough about something, I tend to steer away from it in conversation instead of engaging in conversation for bridge-building. You are right. Much to chew on.

5. Hey Jenny, this was a great post and one that opened my mind up to some aspects I hadn’t picked up from the book myself. Your paragraph about the rise of Naziism made me think of Not So Black and White and that author’s description of how Jews were treated leading up to WWII not just in Europe but around the world.

Thanks for writing about this – it helped make some of our other readings more insightful.

This is Esther…ha! ha! Although, I wouldn’t mind being Jenny.
    Thanks for your response. I made the connection of Hitler, and you made the connection of colorful building blocks. Mmmm. Love how we glean from each other.

7. mm Pam Lau says:

Esther~
    Now that we have had this semester of stretching our thinking and perceptions, would you say all deconstruction is not helpful for Christians?

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Pam,
      That is a great question. I believe it depends on the motivation of the heart. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 says to “prove all things.” I believe he wants us to search out what is true and wrestle with the issues and wicked problems we face. However, perhaps the problem comes when it comes from a place of cynicism and skepticism to show that something is false. If we doubt (whether it is our faith, the church, etc.) but ask the Holy Spirit to make things clear, this comes from a totally different motivation. Another safeguard is to deconstruct in a community with Godly mentors or friends that you trust. Processing is crucial but how and with who is important as well.