Postmodernism: The Cancellation of Hope

After reading, Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault, by Stephen R. C. Hicks, I find this post more challenging to write than usual. I’m tossing around a number of thoughts struggling to find the right words. Thanks to Chapter 5: The Crisis of Socialism, I keep getting tripped up by my experiences living in a communist country. I want to discuss those experiences but reluctant to do so on a public platform. Another thought is to look more closely at the article at the back of the book entitled, Free Speech and Postmodernism. As noted in a previous blogpost, free speech isn’t actually free and not a basic human right in certain parts of the world. Only to add to my confusion I ordered a copy of The Communist Manifesto, since I have never read it and should have long ago. One observation after my quick inspectional read of the manifesto written in 1848 is that Karl Marx and Frederick Engels who proclaimed, “Workingmen of all countries, unite!” never experienced life in a socialist nation.[1]

What does postmodernism of today have to do with any of my musings and my experiences? My brain has some sorting out to do. I may not get there, but I will give it my best.

As I‘m working out the connections between these thoughts I wonder if Matthew Petrusek’s words apply here, “Most political conflicts have little to do with politics. They are rooted in more fundamental disputes about moral values, moral knowledge, the definition of the human being, and even metaphysics.”[2] These elements are present in Hick’s explanation of postmodernism. A variety of social conflicts play out in the political and economic spheres of life, yet it seems their foundations are more philosophical, existential, and spiritual in nature; and are rooted in concern for mankind in particular the exploited and the oppressed. So, how do good intentions lead so many astray into anger, hatred, revolution, domination, skepticism, cynicism, and potentially nihilism?

A brief summary helps me grasp at the answer to that question.

Stephen Hicks defines postmodernism as a “comprehensive philosophical and cultural movement” that “mounts powerful arguments against all of the essential elements of modernism.”[3] He traces the historical progression beginning with pre-modernism, the Enlightenment, modernism, the rise and failure of socialism, and finally postmodernism. By way of explanation Hicks offers this thesis statement, “The failure of epistemology made postmodernism possible, and the failure of socialism made postmodernism necessary.”[4]

Professor Hicks explains the influence of the Enlightenment as bringing about, “confidence in the power of reason.” However, this confidence in reason was vulnerable and incomplete, producing a Counter-Enlightenment attack upon it.[5] The incongruencies of faith and reason were troublesome. By the 20th-century, modernism based on realism, objectivism, tabula rasa and autonomy, individualism, and a liberal capitalism developed, even as the principles of reason and logic were challenged.[6] Amidst this backdrop, the publication of the Communist Manifesto with an emphasis on collectivism and the likelihood of revolution, gave way to a new theory that would right the perceived socio-economic and political injustices of capitalism. Socialism and its various iterations followed. The failure of which contributed to the emergence and the “necessity” of postmodernism’s skeptical and cynical worldviews. Of the Counter-Enlightenment attacks on reason Hicks writes, “Postmodernism emerged as a social force among intellectuals”.[7] All of this adds another layer to my understanding of the current times and my life experiences.

In an interview with Jordan Peterson, Hicks explained the metanarrative of postmodernism as one of skepticism and relativism which leads to nihilism, the rejection of religious and moral principles that leads one to believe that life is meaningless. He also shared concerns of how today’s university students are constrained and feel that life is already mapped out for them.[8] In his article, Free Speech and Postmodernism, Hicks notes that today free speech is being threatened on university campuses with speech codes, something Lukianoff and Schlott highlighted in their book The Canceling of the American Mind.[9] Students are subjected to a cynical viewpoint from the start. Hicks believes university students of today need the skills to face life’s challenges because they do have the capacity and potential to create change in the world and purposeful lives for themselves.[10] Postmodernists apparently want to dash that hope for everyone. Postmodernism suppresses freedom, robs the soul of hope, and destroys true joy. And they do it with the only weapon they have, words.[11]

Back to my original thoughts and my struggle to find words. In my opinion, the danger of postmodernism is that it seeks to cancel not only free speech and therefore freedom of thought and action, but hope. Observing and experiencing the suppression of the freedoms I took for granted was an eye-opening experience. Yet, hope isn’t found in any political party or socio-economic system. It is found in Jesus. I had this hope going in and still proceed with caution with my words as I write, with good reason. I had hope to sustain me as certain freedoms were challenged or taken away, and I witnessed hope flourish in places where hope had been lost. I wonder along the lines of Petrusek’s central message if the lack of hope and cynicism about our future offers an opportunity to restore hope to a world that desperately needs it. As I finish this post the sweet refrain of “My Hope is Built” by Edward Mote (1797-1874) came to mind.

My Hope is built on nothing less

Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness

I dare not trust the sweetest frame

But wholly trust in Jesus’ name

On Christ the solid rock I stand

All other ground is sinking sand

All other ground is sinking sand

[1] Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, The Communist Manifesto, New York, NY: International Publishers, 1948), 44.

[2] Matthew R. Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire, 2023), 40.

[3] Stephen R. C. Hicks, Explaining Postmodernism: Skeptical and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault, Expanded Edition, (Redland Bay, QLD: Conner Curt Publishing, 2011), 20-21.

[4] Stephen Hicks, Explaining Postmodernism, i.

[8] Jordan B. Peterson and Stephen Hicks, “Stephen Hicks: Postmodernism: Reprise,” 2019 in Dialogues with Jordan B. Peterson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwW9QV5Ulmw

[9] Greg Lukianoff and Rikki Schlott, The Canceling of the American Mind, (New York NY: Simon & Schuster, 2023), 38.

[10] Jordan B. Peterson and Stephen Hicks, “Stephen Hicks: Postmodernism: Reprise,” 2019 in Dialogues with Jordan Peterson.

[11] Stephen Hicks, Postmodernism, 194.

Jenny Dooley

Jenny served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for 28 years. She currently resides in Gig Harbor, Washington, where she works as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Spiritual Director in private practice with her husband, Eric. Jenny loves to listen and behold the image of God in others. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family which include 5 amazing adult children, 3 awesome sons-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and 8 delightful grandchildren.

10 responses to “Postmodernism: The Cancellation of Hope”

1. Scott Dickie says:

Thanks Jenny….your thoughts are a great reminder about one of the ways God’s people can let the light of Christ shine–that is, being people of hope! In the past I have been prone to say, perhaps somewhat simplistically, that socialism or capitalism could both work OK if it weren’t for people! It seems whatever system or philosophy we create will get messed up by humans because humans are messy! That’s one of the reasons I remain firmly in the Christian stream–it seeks to address ‘root problems’ of sin and the heart first, which then allows forgiven and free people–people of hope in the midst of the mess– to impact the culture (and systems) of their current context in positive ways. May God help His people to ‘put off’ the cultures cynicism, anger, blaming and despair and instead embody and speak hope, healing, grace, and vision into our fractured world!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Scott, Thank you for the response. I don’t know that it’s inaccurate to say that, “socialism or capitalism could both work OK if it weren’t for people!” I have had the same thought. Regardless of the system we are still called to live in an entirely different new “Kingdom” way. Christianity flourishes in some very harsh places. Free people, as you said, in the midst of the mess do have an impact. I appreciate you prayer on that point!

2. mm John Fehlen says:

Thank you for this post Jenny. I am with you in having so many “loose ends” in my thinking around these subjects.

You sparked something in me when you said: “A variety of social conflicts play out in the political and economic spheres of life, yet it seems their foundations are more philosophical, existential, and spiritual in nature; and are rooted in concern for mankind in particular the exploited and the oppressed. So, how do good intentions lead so many astray into anger, hatred, revolution, domination, skepticism, cynicism, and potentially nihilism?”

This is a reminder for me pastorally there is usually, nay, always, more below the surface that what is visibly apparent. For example (and I’m leaving out huge details because of the public nature of this blog)…I had a meeting today with congregational members to address a massive and potentially divisive issue. Part of the way into the meeting it became evident that at their core was deep hurt and pain from their past – none that was connected to me – but they were taking it out on me, not knowing how to deal with it.

There’s always more to the story, right?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi John,
      Thanks for your response and your encouragement. It was rough getting through some of the material and knowing where to begin. I am always amazed at other peoples brains and how they write about such complex topics. I agree with you 100% that there is always more under the surface…in any conversation honestly. I have a sticky note on my computer to remind me to: Listen, Reflect, Validate. Validation does not mean agreement but it does open the way for empathy and understanding and gives space for others to be truly seen and heard. Isn’t that what we all want! It sounds like you noticed their pain and handled that tough meeting well.

3. Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Jenny,
    Thank you for your thorough post. You mention “the danger of postmodernism is that it seeks to cancel not only free speech and therefore freedom of thought and action, but hope.” This is an intriguing thought. Hope must be rooted in something that is trustworthy and real or it is just a wish. We’ve sat with enough people at the end of their lives to witness how hope-filled believers can face death with assurance and confidence. This is where a wish just wouldn’t cut it.

Hi Esther,
    That trustworthy piece is curious. I have to wonder how trust is conceptualized within postmodernism. Is there anything or anyone who is trustworthy? The perspective seems to be one of non-stop questioning of everything.

5. Hey Jenny, I also found it challenging to write about this book too. I was tracking with you and then you wrote, “the danger of postmodernism is that it seeks to cancel not only free speech and therefore freedom of thought and action, but hope.” After I read that sentence, I thought, “WOW! You are so right! Postmodernism actually cancels hope!” We both know once a person loses hope, they are capable of believing and doing anything that is detrimental to themselves or others. It never crossed my mind that hope is cancelled out. Even as I write this, I am still shocked at this perspective because it is so right. Your post caused me to make sure I counter postmodernism intentionally and wisely. Thank you Jenny!

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Todd,
      The idea that postmodernism cancels hope does open up more questions for me as well as curiosity about the contradictions of postmodern thinking. Where do postmodernists find hope? Is it really non-existent. If so, that is dangerous. As counselors, we spend a lot of time offering people hope in hard situations and even holding their hope when they don’t have any. When I think of some of the youth I know, they struggle to hold on to hope about their future. Offering to others both a temporal and eternal hope seems a crucial step when encountering this way of thinking and believing. It certainly has implications for behavior!

6. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Jenny how do you move hope forward for others in this world? How does that look for someone maybe doesn’t know the hope of Jesus?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Jana,
      I was thinking about that question before you asked it. I am not sure I have the greatest answer but I would start with listening to how a person has lost hope. I came to my concern about postmodernism resulting in the cancellation of hope based on the what Hicks wrote about in Chapter 5 with the progression and failure of socialism…which has not been a total “failure” given it certainly is present in different forms around the globe, but not the impact desired. It seems in part that postmodernism began with a loss of hope after years of waiting, then turned into forceful action, disappointment and eventually a very pessimistic view. (Other disappointments could result in the same type of thinking). Kind of a–you dash my hopes– I’ll dash yours, attitude. Thoughts/beliefs, emotions, and actions are all related so by listening and unpacking those maybe some hope can be restored. That is a total counselor response and probably misses the target on such a big issue, but that is where I have landed so far. Thank you for the question and for the one last week which I have not answered yet! 🙂