Ponderings of a Dual Citizen

I have never served our country as a Veteran.  My dad was a Chaplain in the Vietnam War and my son-in-law served seven years in the military.  My oldest son-in-law comes from a family of Army Generals (his dad and grandfather both served; frequently moving from base to base).  Several of my close friends have served in the military too.  I honor them for their service, courage, and loyalty to protecting the innocent. In the words of author Marc LiVecche, “The terms of these responsibilities make plain that military personnel live in a unique world…Their contract has an ‘unlimited liability’ clause, they accept, the obligation to put their lives at grave risk when ordered to do so.” [1]

In the book that I read this week, The Good Kill by author Marc LiVecche expresses that the main objective is to challenge the notion, that killing, even in a justified war, is inherently morally incorrect, even when it’s legally authorized and practically essential to prevent a greater moral harm. The author approaches this issue from the perspective of Christian ethics, aligning with a distinctively Augustinian strand of Christian realism. The book seeks to apply ethical values to national interests and emphasizes the pursuit of justice, order, and peace on a global scale. LiVecche’s framework focuses on the moral principles of just war, a facet of political theological thought that examines the moral and ethical considerations, as well as the boundaries, of warfare within the context of conscientious governance and human well-being. [2] Just war theory addresses the moral reasoning behind the methods and reasons for engaging in warfare. [3]

When I think about war, fighting, battle, use of force, weapons. . .  I hate it.  It is almost like my mind, once it considers the hurting of human life in any way, shape or form, it wants to quickly refuse to entertain the thought of it.  But then I think, what if someone were hurting the life of an innocent child, would I just stand back and let it happen? Or if someone was hurting a friend or loved one?  What would my response be?  How can I obediently follow my first Love, Jesus, and stand up for the poor, broken, hurting, and abused?

All too familiar is the memory of when our church staff and leadership held an Alice Training on our campus.  It was a training that I was all too familiar with in the public school setting, practicing lockdowns four times a year to be ready and preparing our staff and students to be safe in the event of another school shooting.  During the Alice Training at the church I wasn’t anticipating the scenario involving an active shooting pursuing my second love, my husband.  The officers presenting the training reenacted a scenario that was all too real.  Actors broke into the lobby, shouting for the pastor, shooting blanks at the ceiling, as they made their way to the sanctuary going after my husband, the pastor.  

While I mentally knew it was just a reenactment, it was all too real.   I ducked under a row of seats and was crying.  The scenario was too incredibly lifelike. I regained my composure, jumped up and started throwing things at the actors.  In LiVecche’s words, “When the stakes are high enough, the resulting ethical befuddlement might lead to crisis: there seems to be no way to determine the right decision, yet a decision must be made, under extreme pressure and time compression, and one sure to result in some or another tragic consequence.” [4]  The officers were not hurt by my meager attempts to disarm them with paper snowballs made out of connect cards and sermon notes, but the extreme pressure of “You are messing with my husband” resulted in an ethical befuddlement at the time.  As I tried to regain composure and dry my silent tears, the scenario ended, as an officer came over to me, giving me a big hug. Never hugged an officer before. . . and just for the record I haven’t, yet, been in the back seat of an officer’s car either. The officer had realized that I was the wife of the pastor.  

As a Christian, I am first and foremost a citizen of the kingdom of God and secondarily a citizen of this world. [5]  My dual citizenship carries both privilege and responsibility.  Although my ultimate allegiance is to God, I respectfully submit to governmental authority as an expression of obedience to my Lord Jesus and His saving plans for the world. God has authorized human governments to reward right and punish evil. [6] Those who serve in law enforcement perform worthy and honorable service for the sake of their neighbors at local, state and national levels. [7] The Constitution is not my ultimate guide for morality and faith. God’s Word is.  My dual citizenship may be exhibited in the form of defense, rescue or correction.

In LiVecche’s words spoken on the campus of Liberty University, “While it is a Christian duty to love both the victim and the victimizer, we obviously cannot love both in precisely the same way in the same instant.  Love and mercy for one neighbor may manifest in its defense and its rescue, while love and mercy for the other neighbor might manifest in its correction.” [8]

[1] LiVecche, Marc, The Good Kill: Just War and Moral Injury. New York: Oxford Academic, 2021, 

https://doi-org.georgefox.idm.oclc.org/10.1093/oso/9780197515808.003.0001, accessed April 2, 2024.

[3] https://iep.utm.edu/justwar/

[4] LiVecche, Marc, The Good Kill: Just War and Moral Injury. New York: Oxford Academic, 2021, 

[5] Philippians 3:20

[6] Romans 13:3-5; 1 Peter 2:14

[7] Romans 13:3-5; 1 Peter 2:14

[8] Smith, Kristen, Liberty Champion News. November 5, 2023, https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2023/11/students-hear-from-distinguished-scholar-marc-livecche/, accessed April 2, 2024.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

5 responses to “Ponderings of a Dual Citizen”

Cathy, when you wrote about defending your husband as the pretend shooters went after him, a strong response rose up in me. I have been known to meet a kid who was bullying my brother as he got off the middle school bus to let him know that if he ever teased, touched, hurt my brother again I would…. (I don’t remember how I finished that sentence but I wasn’t going to let him get away with bullying my brother.) I like to think I am somewhat of a pacifist – I mean, really, WHY do we have to hurt others??? but when it comes to those I love, I will go to lengths to support, defend, and possibly even kill for them (or at least hurt someone in their defense). All that to say, I could feel your desperation to protect and stand up for your husband in that moment. I also love that the officer came and gave you a hug. What a moment!

Cathy,

I had a visceral reaction to the section of or blog about your husband and your response. I felt every word…my heart started to beat faster, and I felt myself going into defense mode with you. I am a peaceful woman…UNTIL you mess with my Loved Ones. You wrote, “As a Christian, I am first and foremost a citizen of the kingdom of God and secondarily a citizen of this world. My dual citizenship carries both privilege and responsibility. ” I agree with this, and I feel the weight of the role. Admittedly, it is difficult to hold this tension at times. There are times that the flesh(anger) can cloud our ability to respond as Christians.

We too had a simulated shooter training at our church, and I was freaked out, even though I KNEW it was fake. Reminds me of my dad, who served in the Army Reserves. Note: Reserves. He never saw actual battle, but he tells stories about boot camp like he was actually in Vietnam. Seriously. We had to keep asking him, “Dad, wait, so you were NOT in active fighting?” It was only simulated, foxhole training, and it scarred him. It really messed him up in terms of anxiety, fear, etc.

So, war is real…and now I know, so is simulated war!

Hi Cathy,
    Are we ready to die for our faith?

Kim Sanford mentioned that only .5% of the population is in the U.S. military. That perhaps that THEY were called to use “violence.”

Does this mean that the other 99.5% are called to submit to evil powers?

My men’s bible study is doing 1 Peter and the Col teaching the class looked at me and said YUP we are called to die for our faith.

Still digesting that.

He did add that the Egyptian Coptic Christians who were beheaded by Isis probably did not run up to get their heads chopped off.

BUT when the time came, they did not renounce their faith. Martyrs for their faith.

This example caused me to rethink.

Still thinking….

Shalom.

Thanks for this beautiful post, Cathy. I think our ‘dual citizenship’ is exactly the point of our wrestling with this book this week. And if we are honest about it all, we must engage your question: “How can I obediently follow my first Love, Jesus, and stand up for the poor, broken, hurting, and abused?” Otherwise it’s just talk and theory.