Persistence is Futile?

About 50 times each week, I ask myself what the heck was I thinking when I gave up my career to go back to school. I mean, I know I did it out of a sense of calling and purpose, but can one middle-aged woman really make a difference in the world? After reading the first chapter of To Change the World by James Davison Hunter, I felt like I was suffocating under a heavy blanket of “No she can’t!” followed by a storm of “There is no such thing as changing the world – give up now.”

Hunter seems to offer up a whole lot of NOPE when explaining that “Christians cannot ‘change the world’ in a way that they, even in their diversity, desire.”[1] He gets right to the heart of the matter by explaining why Christians who have tried to act as the moral compasses and gatekeepers to the truth in this country have failed and will continue to fail. In short, Christians have idealized the individual worldview, believing that transformed individuals transform culture.[2] Hunter says that we have been doing this all wrong and that we need to give up on the notion of changing the world and/or transforming culture.

Great. NOW what am I supposed to do with my life? Could someone maybe have mentioned this BEFORE I ditched my successful career for a pile of student debt and a misguided sense that I have been called to use my agency to create change?

Still, by the time I was halfway through Hunter’s book, I began to notice that I was nodding along to his explanation of how the power of politics has taken over while the idea of living faithfully has become a bit of an afterthought. Christians – left, right, and otherwise – have adopted the idea that political power and coercion can force culture to align itself with the ways of God. The problem is, we aren’t really about using that power for God’s intentions, but rather our idealized view of how “One nation, under God” should look. As Hunter notes, the way of Christ is only about obedience to God and serving the good of all, “not just the community of faith.”[3] This is what he calls, “faithful presence.”[4]

It starts to feel a bit like Hunter is speaking in semantics, but by the third essay, I realize that he isn’t talking about doing away with “change” per se, but rather he is asking us to shift our vision and our allegiance. The idea that we are going to “change the world for Jesus” is, at the very least, arrogant and domineering. If we do good things for people, tell people about Jesus’ deep love and sacrifice, and seek justice on behalf of the marginalized all because we are focused on some sort of Christian global domination (in Jesus’ name, of course), we are sadly missing the point. Hunter explains (and I agree) that faithful presence is about loving and honoring God with our love of neighbor, love and care for creation, and obedience to the way of Christ. Good things will, of course, happen. We will likely see beauty, love, and justice flourish in many ways, but that is not the end that justifies the means. Rather these things are the delightful consequence of faithful presence.

But I thought I was supposed to change the world. So now what? Is it the highest irony that I learn I can’t change the world while I am in a doctoral program that I thought would teach me to lead as an agent of change?

First of all, Hunter’s ideas about power, change, and faithful presence actually release me from the feeling that I “should be doing something.” I have an activist’s heart, but the call to faithful presence frees me to slow down, look around, and listen carefully to what the Spirit is doing both within me and within my community. The call to faithful presence, in my view, is a call to the long road rather than the short-cut. Of course I still fight for justice and speak prophetically as I am guided, but the frantic drive to push for or curb legislation eases just a bit while I take time to ask what would best honor God and serve all.

In the end, I don’t think Hunter really believes we can’t or won’t change the world, we just won’t (as Heath and Potter phrased it) jam the culture, and create some sort of Christian utopia where all the bookstores carry only what the CEO of Lifeway deems appropriate, all art involves crosses (or worse, bunnies), and all movies are “shedding the light of Christ in the darkness” with B-rated scripts. We will still change the lives of people because the kind of love we have can’t help but change things. We will focus on individuals and communities with love that springs from the depth of our love for God. I think this is what God meant when God called Abraham and told him that the nation of Israel would be blessed to be a blessing. Love God and love people because everything else rests on these things, right?

And for the 46th time this week, I absolutely did the right thing because I love the God who asked me to do it.

[1]. James Davison Hunter, To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, & Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World, (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010), 5.

[2]. To Change the World, 9.

[3]. James Davidson Hunter, “Chapter Abstracts of To Change the World,” http://www.jamesdavisonhunter.com/to-change-the-world-abstracts/

[4]. To Change the World, 95.

Kristin Hamilton

15 responses to “Persistence is Futile?”

Kristin, I had the emotional ups and downs that you did. I agree that by the time we got to the end of the book we had been encouraged to do the best we can wherever God has placed us.
    And you, as usual, have the key, “We will still change the lives of people because the kind of love we have can’t help but change things. ” So hang in there with the rest of us; God has put us here for a reason and I believe that each one of us has been called and will be used of God to make some change for good.

• Thanks Mary. I’m glad we are all on this journey together. It is hard to realize this is a marathon and not a sprint. I want to see things changed TODAY, but faithful presence recognizes that I may never see the change that results from my faithfulness.

2. Kristen, Thanks so much for this post – I was nodding along with it as I read! You helped me process and frame Hunter in a positive way and not get caught up in the semantics of his argument.

Also – ‘A whole lot of Nope’ is my new favorite thing in the world. 🙂

‘Love God and love people because everything else rests on these things, right?’ – Amen and amen, sister!

“I have an activist’s heart, but the call to faithful presence frees me to slow down, look around, and listen carefully to what the Spirit is doing both within me and within my community.”

Good word. One of my favorite axioms is this… “We want don’t want to miss God’s will, but we don’t want to get ahead of God either. Our goal, which is difficult, is to be in the CENTER of God’s will.”

4. Love your post, Kristin! “The idea that we are going to “change the world for Jesus” is, at the very least, arrogant and domineering.” I couldn’t agree more. I am embarrassed by how I used to view people as the “lost” and I was the “saved”, like an “us” and “them” mentality. It was so freeing for me to look at everyone in daily need of a Savior, and the only difference is some accept His help and some refuse it. Our dependency, desires, and needs are similar and often can be summarized with: we all want to be shamelessly and unconditionally loved.

• Oh I resonate with that embarrassment, Jen! It is what ultimately caused me to leave the church for a time. So many of my church “family” didn’t love people and so many of my “lost” friends loved with abandon. It was confusing and hurtful.
      I love the way you say that we are all in daily need of Christ, whether we are believers or not. It is a beautiful reminder that the image of God persists in all.

Christians – left, right, and otherwise – have adopted the idea that political power and coercion can force culture to align itself with the ways of God. The problem is, we aren’t really about using that power for God’s intentions, but rather our idealized view of how “One nation, under God” should look.
    This aligns quite powerfully with Henri Nouwen’s book, “In the Name of Jesus”, which looks at our temptation to use power to express and exercise our leadership, whereas Jesus calls us to serve and be subversives. I think this was one of the strongest themes in the book!
    And I am very glad you are on the course Kristin!

• “In the Name of Jesus” was life-changing for me, Geoff. Nouwen’s own struggle with power and control helped me see where I was also struggling.
      I’m glad you are in this course too, Geoff! It is awesome to do this work together.

6. Kristen, “Why am I doing this?” And the answer is “It’s not my will but God’s Will and my desire to please him.” It has become a struggle for me more to balance my life now managing the ministry and tax preparation site. My thoughts are hard to find and express at times maybe at all times.
    Can we change the world? No. But if we change ourselves to be better each day, I believe those around us will be affected and they will begin to make a change within themselves and then those they encounter in life will be affected and make a change and so on and so on. Jesus is our guide and he will affect others through our change.

Kristin– I’m so thankful to have you in our Sevens. Your honest introspection is so valuable!

Hunter “is asking us to shift our vision and our allegiance. The idea that we are going to “change the world for Jesus” is, at the very least, arrogant and domineering. If we do good things for people, tell people about Jesus’ deep love and sacrifice, and seek justice on behalf of the marginalized all because we are focused on some sort of Christian global domination (in Jesus’ name, of course), we are sadly missing the point.”

I think this is important. Hunter isn’t suggesting we cease what we’re doing, but to reconsider why we’re doing it– our allegiance. If we stop [opening hospitals] or [tutoring children] or [fill in the blank] IN ORDER TO “win” people to Christ, and instead continue (or begin) these things BECAUSE our God is good and our “primary task [is] worshipping him and honoring him in all [we] do,” lives will be changed and the gospel lived.

• Thank you Katy!
      I do wish Hunter had more clearly stated that our motives and allegiances are key, but he does get there. For people who are “doers” (which I think is everyone in this cohort!) checking our actions against our motives will always be key. There are some huge doers out there who are merely using the good they do to polish an image that hides a thirst for power. I never want to be that person, but I could slip that direction if I don’t keep my eyes and motives on Christ.

8. Kristin I couldn’t help but laugh when I read your post. I love your candor and point of view. I agree there is an arrogance that is portrayed when we speak about changing our world. I remember when I attended SPU, many of us seminarians pushed back on the schools mission statement “engaging the culture and changing the world”. First thought “what does that actually mean?” Our other thoughts were “what culture?” And “how does that translate to changing the world?”

It is easy to make the claims but it is more challenging to embody what it truly means.