Our Work Is Never Done

Max Weber’s classic book The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism was a book I heard referred to often but had never gotten my hands on. I kind of understood the premise going in but it wasn’t until actually holding my book (actually two books because it’s not just the older cohort members that accidentally buy two of the same book) that I really understood the significance of Weber’s research and thoughts. Weber takes an in-depth look at the rise of capitalism and the significant role Christianity, particularly Calvinism, had in helping capitalism thrive.

I live in such a post reformation, capitalistic world, and have been influenced strongly with a white suburban corporate background, that I have trouble relating to Weber’s quote when he says, “A man does not ‘by nature’ wish to earn more and more money, but simply to live as he is accustomed to live and to earn as much as is necessary for that purpose.[1]” It seems to me that by “nature” I witness men and women work 60+ hour work weeks with the desire to “one up the Joneses” next door. I do not doubt Weber’s research but it is just so hard for me to relate to. I believe what Weber says and that Calvinism helped propel capitalism, but that leaves us asking has capitalism changed “human nature” that drastically? Even many of the Ugandans I know have a strong work ethic and are trying to give their children a life they never had.

Unfortunately, I also see this playing out in our churches. I recently heard a fellow pastor say, “Our work is never done.” Hard to disagree with him but coming from this specific man it was hard for me to take. I question many pastors’ callings and wonder whose kingdom they are really trying to build. I have no doubt some pastors feel called to work 70 hour work weeks and build multimillion dollar buildings, but often I feel a capitalistic competitive mentality among churches. How did we get here?

Weber has challenged me and has forced me to question how the church’s theology is inseparably linked with the market system. Weber’s work causes us to continue asking how is the church thinking through the marketplace and how should we act and influence the greater system?

I don’t know the answer but I greatly enjoyed Weber’s quote of John Wesley’s answer to a similar question. Sorry for the long quote but it was a big take away for me from the book.

“’I fear, wherever riches have increased, the essence of religion has decreased in the same proportion. Therefore I do not see how it is possible, in the nature of things, for any revival of true religion to continue long. For religion must necessarily produce both industry and frugality, and these cannot but produce riches. But as riches increase, so will pride, anger, and love of the world in all its branches. How then is it possible that Methodism, that is, a religion of the heart, though it flourishes now as a green bay tree, should continue in this state? For the Methodists in every place grow diligent and frugal; consequently they increase in goods. Hence they proportionately increase in pride, in anger, in the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, and the pride of life. So, although the form of religion remains, the spirit is swiftly vanishing away. Is there no way to prevent this – this continual decay of pure religion? We ought not to prevent people from being diligent and frugal; we must exhort all Christians to gain all they can, and to save all they can; that is, in effect, to grow rich.’ There follows the advice that those who gain all they can and save all they can should also give all they can, so that they will grow in grace and lay up a treasure in heaven[2]

We are not called to grow and grow our wealth to build our own grand kingdoms but Wesley gives capitalistic Christians a possible best-case scenario when we can be motivated to grow and grow our wealth for the sake of growing the Kingdom of God. Lord, please help me.

[1] Max Weber, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism (London: Routledge, 2001), 60.

[2] Ibid., 119

Nick Martineau

Nick is a pastor at Hope Community Church in Andover, KS, founder of ILoveOrphans.com, and part of the LGP5 cohort.

11 responses to “Our Work Is Never Done”

Great concise post. Thanks for the challenging perspective. I’d say that in generically speaking Andy Stanley is one of those ‘giga-church’ pastors whose built several multimillion dollar buildings. And while I don’t know him personally I’m familiar enough with his teaching to say he’s constantly showing his people the link between their faith and their work… That will, as Wesley says, increase their capacity to earn. The way Stanley cares for the corresponding decline of their religion is to consistently teach the following principle of stewardship. “Give” first, “Save” second and “live” on the rest. He also challenges those who’ve grown comfortable in whatever their percentage of giving is, too increase that percentage. Simple, but effective.

• Nick Martineau says:

Dave, I agree. Andy Stanley is such a great leader. Not knowing him I can’t speak about his “calling” but he really seems to be one of those megachurch pastors walking that fine line of growing and growing…yet making it all about the Kingdom. I appreciate his “Give” first, “Save” second and “live” on the rest. Thanks!

Nick, you said “I have no doubt some pastors feel called to work 70 hour work weeks and build multimillion dollar buildings, but often I feel a capitalistic competitive mentality among churches. How did we get here?” Good question… Consumerism has become pervasive to the point that the American Christian will shop from congregation to congregation, seeking the next bigger better deal. Pastors feel pressure to retain their clients (parishioners), hence the need to provide the next big show! Build a bigger program, generate more money so you can build the next big program and generate more money…

It’s the American way!

• Brian Yost says:

So much of what happens in the church is measured by the same standards we use in the world: How big? How nice? How much is it worth? etc. We forget that God looks at the heart. We also forget that the resources God gives us are not just money. We can learn a lot from our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world that use the resources of God to build the kingdom–even though they have little or no money.

• Nick Martineau says:

So what is a church to do that keeps growing? Our church is currently dealing with this question. We’ve never wanted to be a huge church yet through some quick growth we hired staff and know find ourselves in a position where we need to sustain growth to keep the “institution” going. It really is a tough issue. We’ve been talking about church planting before we do a building project but it’s still a tough tension.

• Jon spellman says:

It’s hard man… The tail starts to wag the dog after a point. I think it’s a case by case situation. I have to clarify I think, I’m not anti-big church. I’m anti-trying-to-become-a-big-church! There are times in some communities where congregations grow very large either by providential act or demographic upsurges and that can’t be helped…

I’m reminded of Renovation church here in ATL… In a few conversations we’ve had, Leonce Crump described to me how they planted it and had no intention of it booming overnight. They simply wanted to have community groups in every locale around ATL and that’s what they have done. The community groups remain the primary focus of their attention and strategy. BUT the church has grown very quickly, providentially, and that is now their cross to bear! They didn’t want it, but they got it!

Nick, I suspect your church has experienced a similar phenomenon. That’s your cross to bear even though you gunning for a big church! God will give grave and wisdom to any of us who ask. Keep asking!

Nick, I loved your post. That is one of my favorite Wesley quotes. Following his advice, we essentially work harder in order to be a greater blessing to others. Our riches are not just for ourselves.

Nick, BOOM! Great post. I too had trouble with the quote, “A man does not ‘by nature’ wish to earn more and more money, but simply to live as he is accustomed to live and to earn as much as is necessary for that purpose.” If gun was held to my head I would disagree, but Weber does make a strong case. The Wesley quote is great too. I do not know the full Warren Buffet story, but I heard a sound bite about a year ago where once he made enough for himself, he did not relent in making more, he just did so with a mentality of doing it for others, or at least other endeavors. As I read your post I began to think how “religion” ultimately does really create this tension in every form. Again great post!

I have often been baffled by pastors who feel the need to work 60-70 hours a week. Of course, there is always another need to be met, and I resonate with the feeling that the work is never done. But the idea of working and working and working seems to be more of an additive act of arrogance – I know that’s a strong word, but the question arises, “is it really up to us, as the ones in ministry, to accomplish it all?” Jesus often walked away, sometimes at the most strategic time to win souls, to go away in private to be with his father. Sensitivity to timing of when to walk away is as important as when it is to step in to do the hard work of evangelism. Can you tell I’m a bit passionate about how valuable “centering” (versus balancing – the ultimate myth in life) is when it comes to our vocation?
    Your other words, Nick, about the riches that accompany hard work made me think of the persecuted Christians in a region in central India. When we talked with folks, we found the violence inflicted upon them wasn’t so much about proselytizing as much as finances. People around them were jealous of their economic stability. That makes for an interesting witness, huh?!

6. Russ Pierson says:

I resonate with your closing prayer, Nick: “Lord, please help me”, and I like the lengthy but effective quote from Wesley; he almost sounds like Paul in Romans, “O wretched man that I am ….”

Economic issues are so close to the heart and experience of humanity that we have–and will–wrestle with these matters till the end of the age. King David got in trouble with the Lord for taking a census in a season of ease. It seems as a species we are forever counting what is ours, like a crazy Scrooge McDuck (for any Donald Duck fans out there).

Lord help us indeed!

Russ

Exactly Nick. Great quote. And you hit it on the head. It is up to us to utlize the resources that God blesses us with to grow God’s kingdom. And i firmly believe that he wants to put the true riches in the hands of good stewards. I like you am praying that I wont let the deceptiveness of riches corrupt my good intentions. Its easy for me to say what i wont do when i dont have it, the real test comes when God puts it in your hands.