Nothing praiseworthy is a result of Colonialism!

In his book Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning, Biggar starts the introduction to his book and shares how he got notified that his “Ethics and Empire project had become the target of an online denunciation by a group of students, followed by a reassurance from the university that it had risen to defend my right to run such a thing.”[1]

Looking at the few chapters I read, the author seems to work hard to defend the empire on the excellent work done in colonial times. The work done by this author, as mentioned here, was also defended by Oxford University. I wonder how this institution, which is much respected for having contributed so much to the development of education and civilization, would defend such work instead of challenging it. The author continues in his book by saying that those who criticize the empire for Colonialism are wrong in his view and that those criticisms do not stand pretty. “Such description does not fare well in the light of History.”[2]

What is there to praise Colonialism for?

History is full of atrocities that only those who were present can testify to. The havoc as a result of Colonialism, racism, apartheid, holocaust, genocide, and other evils of society, I will agree that it is not only the colonialists should take the blame and add those who collaborated to empower such evil empires flourish, evertheless, there is nothing to defend about what was done by Colonialism.

In 1857, in the wake of the Indian mutiny, a British officer, Lt George Cracklow, described in a letter home what happened to captured rebels. ‘The prisoners were marched up to the guns… and lashed to the muzzles,’ he wrote, the guns exploded… I could hardly see the smoke for about 2 seconds when down came something with a thud about 5 yards from. This was the head and neck of one of the men…On each side of the gun, about 10 yards, lay the arms, torn out at the shoulders.’[3]

This is not a good kill.

Malik continues to wonder as I do how such brutality could be defended Bigger as essential. I am reminded of the work covered last week LiVecche, in his good kill. I definitely agree with LiVecche that in the defense of multitudes, a need to kill is justifiable.

As a son of Africa before my adoption by my American parent, I hold the West, especially North America, so highly. While I was teaching yesterday, I told my audience that if there is the best place next to my heavenly place, I believe that America is the best, and there is no doubt that the Judeo Christian Values have given Americans and those in North America the values that make them this amazing. At the same time, those in the West should agree to take responsibility for the atrocities of their forefathers, apologize, and do whatever it takes to bring about reconciliation with the victims of their acts.

Greed, exploitation and violence in the Congo

King Leopold wasn’t the first European colonialist to exploit the resources, and people, of another country. But with the Congo, Leopold took the greed, exploitation, and violence of the era to a far more extreme and ghastly level than ever before. Over nearly thirty years of rule, he used slave labor to amass a personal fortune of over $1 billion in today’s dollars. Leopold forced African laborers to harvest vast quantities of ivory and rubber on land he expropriated from them. In the process, an estimated ten million Africans died. To put it bluntly, Leopold turned African bodies into money. What’s worse, Leopold wasn’t the last to interfere in Congolese affairs for personal gain. In fact, his violent regime set the stage for countless subsequent horrors in the Congo, from the CIA’s assassination of democratically elected Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba in 1961 to the appalling conditions in Congolese mines that to this day keep diamonds on fingers, uranium in nuclear weapons, and coltan in iPhones.[4]

The above is the story of the Congo but the entire world have similar cases for such or worse brutality. Some, like Biggar might say since there was Christianity introduction as a result it was not a bad thing.

To protect the deception that the Congo Free State was a charitable enterprise, Leopold had to allow Christian missionaries access to the Congo. For the most part, these missionaries had less of a stomach for violence than the hard men who enlisted in the state’s officer corps. Some, like William Sheppard, made reports and took photographs of the horrors they witnessed. In the face of the outrageous atrocities being committed, opposition slowly grew among missionaries and then humanitarians.[5]

Conclusion

If you asked, I would say shame, shame, shame! That’s all that colonialists should say, that they are ashamed of what they did. God has brought good out of men’s evil doing in all things. Undoubtedly, some missionaries greatly impacted God’s global glory; however,  Colonialism wasn’t necessary to propagate the Gospel.

[1] Nigel Biggar, Colonialism: A moral reckoning. (HarperCollinsPublishers, 2024) Introduction, Kindle.

[2] Biggar, Colonialism Chap. 1.

[3] Kenan Malik, “The guardian: Colonialism by Nigel Biggar review – a flawed defense of empire” 20 February, 2023.

[4] Adam Hochschild, King Leopold’s Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa, 1. Mariner Books ed (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1999).

[5] Hochschild, King Leopold’s Ghost, 1999

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe is a Clinical Correctional Chaplain and former Child Refugee from War-torn Rwanda. A member of the Maxwell Leadership Certified Team, Jean is passionate about Servant Leadership and looks forward to seeing more leaders that inspire Lasting Peace and Justice for all, especially "the least of these".

19 responses to “Nothing praiseworthy is a result of Colonialism!”

1. Jean de,

Thank you for your post and sharing. I was curious on how you would respond to this post after being a refuge yourself. I commend you on your conclusion.

Well done, thank you for what you have brought to our cohort.

• mm David Beavis says:

I agree with Greg on this one. I was eager to read your post since Rwanda experienced a profound negative impact from colonialism.

Jean, I agree with you. However, out of curiosity, can you “steelman” Biggar and provide the best possible argument in favor or what Biggar contends? And how would you respond to that argument?

• Thanks David,
        The inherent injustice and the long-term negative impacts caused by the domination of colonial rulers are too much to attempt to justify. I believe the benefits we find now would have occurred through non-exploitative means. Unfortunately, the destructive aspects of colonialism far outweigh any potential benefits.

• Thanks, my friend, you are doing great work supporting those affected by what colonialism and bad politics have done in many parts of the world.

2. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Dr. Jean de,
    Thank you for your post and your personal insights into what happened in the Congo.

Only God can bring something good out of evil. And He doesn’t have to use evil to bring about His good plan for us.

3. Tonette Kellett says:

Jean,

Ok, I have a question for you… do you separate missionaries from colonists and white settlers who owned land and ruled? I know the difference from living in Kenya. I wondered how Africans viewed these. Their purposes for being in the country were different. Do Africans view these the same? As always, thank you for your honest views Jean!

• Hi Tonnette,
      You ask a good question. It is evident that, through various methods, Christian missionaries acted as the religious arm of the imperialist powers of Europe, especially in Africa. Definitely, the missionaries were seen differently after African nations gained their so-called independence.

4. mm Becca Hald says:

Jean, thank you for your honest and challenging post. “That’s all that colonialists should say, that they are ashamed of what they did. God has brought good out of men’s evil doing in all things.” I think given my own history of struggle and triumph, I seek to find the silver lining in any cloud, the positive outcomes, understanding that there can be suffering AND beauty. That is how I have approached this topic. However, I must admit my own place of privilege in this conversation. Thank you for challenging my assumptions. If I may ask, are there any positive outcomes of colonialism that you see, outside of the spread of the gospel?

• Thanks Becca,
      There is no question that some of the develpments are positive. The question I ask myself remains would it not have been so or even better without the iron fited hand of impelialim, colonialism and all the atrocities that took place! You remind me of Romans 8:28, knowing that everything works together for good is where I find solace in every circumstance, including going through the worst atrocities of our past. History remains history, but as someone said, those who cannot learn history are doomed to repeat it. Colonialism was a disaster that is not hard to prove; the unfortunate part is that many continue to exploit the vulnerability of colonialism by insisting on Neo-colonialism. To this day, the former colonial masters imperialists want to cling to neocolonialism by disorganization, yet go back and claim they have a hard time self-governing! They will sponsor coup d’états and other forms of chaos to justify the continuous plundering of resources under the guise of instilling democratic values and the rule of law!.

• mm Becca Hald says:

I so appreciate learning from you and hearing your perspective. My knowledge of colonialism and the atrocities is limited and what I have learned comes from a very western, privileged perspective. As you said, we are doomed to repeat history if we do not learn from it, and I think even more so when our knowledge only comes from one perspective. Thank you for challenging my thinking.

5. mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Greetings friend –
    A buddy of mine is heading to Rwanda tomorrow, so I thought of you and mentioned your story. Then your post came across my feed! You certainly have firsthand experience of the perils of colonialism – the impact that lasts for generations.

How does that journey shape your work as a prison chaplain, especially as it relates to forgiveness?

Separately, Doug and I will be in your area early next week to attend a Hope Event at Saguaro on Tuesday. It may be too late for clearance, but I mentioned to Nathan that he should invite you. Would be great to worship together this Easter. Bless you, brother.

• Hi Jennifer,
      So exciting you will be back this side! I haven’t heard from Nathan about your trip this time. Last time Perryville loved the Hope Event and we had so many commitments to following the Lord.
      Feel free to connect if you get some free time after the event.
      Glad your friend is heading to Rwanda, I am sure they will love it there.

Good hearing from you my dear sister. Blessings to you and safe travels.

6. mm Chad McSwain says:

Jean De Dieu,
    Great post and like many here, I was eager to read your perspective of the book. I also appreciate that you highlighted the complex nature of missionary movements among native people. In this case, were used to exploit the people they were trying to reach. Thank you for offering your perspective.

7. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Thank you, Jean, for your post. I’m so glad I read it.

8. Jean, thank you for your honesty, vulnerability and transparency in this discussion. And thank you for reminding me that God works the good in everything…in spite of the way we humans mess up. Thank you, Jesus, for grace!

9. Amen, Laura, his grace is sufficient. Thank God for Jesus.

10. mm Daron George says:

Jean,

I love your perspective and your closing thoughts sum it up nice “If you asked, I would say shame, shame, shame! That’s all that colonialists should say, that they are ashamed of what they did. God has brought good out of men’s evil doing in all things. Undoubtedly, some missionaries greatly impacted God’s global glory; however, Colonialism wasn’t necessary to propagate the Gospel.”