Not Everything is as it Seems….

The pastor of a mega-church that Nancy and I once attended was a phenomenal speaker (although, with 20 years gone by and seminary under my belt, I would push back on many things he said). The one thing I appreciated about him was that at the end of every sermon, he would look out at the crowd and say, “Please do not take my word on this. Go home and study it out for yourselves.” Sadly, I think only a handful ever took him up on it.

Compare that to my dear, sweet (most of the time) departed mother who was a staunch Catholic who, when I would want to look at that enormous dusty bible we had on the coffee table, would tell me not to read scripture, that it was the priest’s job to tell us what it says.

I share these two stories with you because we were all taught how to ingest things presented to us. Sometimes, we need to dig deeper; sometimes, we take it for what it is worth.

Oh, but the noise…

“According to a report by the University of California, San Diego, the average American consumes about 34 gigabytes of data and information every day. According to calculation in the report, 34 gigabytes translates to approximately 100,000 words, both heard on radio and television as well as those read on the web and in print”.[1]

The inundation of information thrown at us daily, from when we get up until we turn the lights off, is intense, and sadly, we are oblivious to it. However, how do we decipher the good and the bad?

In his book How to Make the World Add Up, Harford gives us ten rules to help the reader navigate the statistical information. These ten rules remind me of an acronym that people in recovery use called H.A.L.T. If a person is fighting the temptation to drink again, are they hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? That would be critical thinking to remain sober. These ten rules are the same: When skeptical or needing critical thinking for statistics, follow the steps for a better outcome. Necessary thinking skills have never been a strong point for me, so I need to take a step back and think through these steps. 

In Harford’s book, The Data Detective: Ten Easy Rules to Make Sense of Statistics, he has 10 different rules, but the thought is still the same. He says, “Ten rules of thumb are still a lot for anyone to remember, so perhaps I should try to make things simpler. I realize that these suggestions have a common thread—a golden rule if you like. Be curious.”[2] I think learning to be curious is the key for me. I do not know if that is a learned trait or a natural ability. 

All this being said, what I realized through the reading is that, as leaders, we have responsibilities. We will each be the authority in our field of study and our projects. We will be tasked to speak about our projects, demonstrate, and be knowledgeable. I believe that having the title of Doctor comes with a responsibility to those we are working with not to lead anyone astray. If statistics are in front of us, we must be curious, to base our decisions on evidence, and be informed in every way we can about our project. 

Learning will be a continuous part of our lives. This three-year journey is just the beginning of education for us, but books like Harford’s help us dig for the truth in our learning. To be curious, be okay with being skeptical, and choose the path we feel is the right one for us and our audience, which is where ethics comes in. We must know deep down that what we are saying is what we genuinely believe, and that cannot happen unless we learn to go deep and not just accept what we are being told. This book is making me realize the burden of responsibility that is being placed on our shoulders.

I remember the first time I heard the words “fake news.” I laughed. Then I heard it in different contexts and, sadly, realized we can no longer take what is given as news or information and unquestioningly feel that it is the truth. I am sad at the reasons and agendas driving untruthful facts and manipulations being given to us daily, and I do not see an end to it. Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

[1] Consuming Information Research.” n.d. Wonder. Accessed February 6, 2024. https://askwonder.com/research/consuming-information-research-gngr6owc2?h=c2ea0077b81b60170524893115bbc6b9942f9ca675882d97751358022ed812cf

[2] Tim Haford, The Data Detective: Ten Easy Rules to Make Sense of Statistics (New York: Riverhead Books, 2022), 268.

Chris Blackman

12 responses to “Not Everything is as it Seems….”

1. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thanks Chris. Wow what a stat about the ‘noise’ as you call it.

How can we be curious when we’re indundated with so much noise? What practices have you found that help you cultivate curiosity?

2. mm Chris Blackman says:

Crazy huh?
    I go to bed pretty close to 9 every night, get up at 5 o’clock (most of the time), and have morning rituals every day. Study out a chapter in the bible, and spend 20-30 minutes in meditation (all depends on what time I woke up!) I do my best to journal, even if it is short. If I don’t do those things, I feel out of kilter.
    As far as curiosity, I am not there yet. I married someone who is curious, so I just need to hang out with her more often. Sadly, it’s just not in me. I guess I should be curious about that.

Hi Chris, The pastor gave a winner with his closing line to look it up yourselves. What a good lesson and what a shame that it isn’t the way most of the world works. Your thoughts on what is ahead of each of us in this program are worth visiting. Do you have any ways that you think will be a natural way for you to continue the learning journey?
    Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks Diane.
      I dont know what to expect for the next 2.5 years. Looking forward to digging deep into my project tho!
      As far as a natural way for me to learn – it has never been easy for me, but I am up for the challenge. I have to do things a little slower than others, I think, just to retain it all in my mind. One step at a time, one day at at time! Thanks for your response.

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your post. Your post highlights the importance of curiosity as a guiding principle in interpreting statistical data and the ethical responsibilities that leaders bear in their respective fields. It prompts reflection on how curiosity can be fostered and leveraged to make informed decisions and advance knowledge. How does Harford’s book support your research?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Shela. I think the overall learning from this book was trust but verify. I trust too much but I know that I have a responsibility to the end users of my project to give them the right material and the correct information to the best of my ability. If that takes me to dig deeper and learn more about how to be curious, then so be it!! thank you for your reply.

5. Debbie Owen says:

Now when I hear the term “fake news” I automatically give more credence to the news being called “fake”. If the speaker considers it “fake” it’s most likely they just don’t like what it says. In fact, they are probably afraid of whatever it says, because it will likely take away their power and authority.

When it comes to being curious about data and information, how else would you sum it up (besides “be curious”)?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Your question is exactly what I have been pondering. I keep saying I am naturally not a curious person, but maybe there is a better term for it.
      What I am, however, is responsible. And if I substitute that term, I feel like it is doable for me. I need to be responsible to the recipients of my project to be the best that I can be when it comes to research.

6. Elysse Burns says:

Chris, I appreciated reading your post. I resonated with your words, “Be curious. I think learning to be curious is the key for me. I do not know if that is a learned trait or a natural ability.” My grandmother used to rebuke me by saying, “You aren’t nosy enough!” I will interpret this as I wasn’t curious enough.
    I do believe curiosity is something that has to be relearned in adulthood. I say relearned because children do have a natural curiosity. However, when we are shut down too many times, perhaps we turn off that part of ourselves for protection? This is just a thought. There is absolutely no evidence to back up this claim. It seems you experienced this a bit with studying Scripture in a strict Catholic household.
    I feel I have gained a new sense of curiosity just by learning how to ask open-ended questions. What areas do you think might spark a growing curiosity in yourself? Despite your claims of not being curious, I sense you do have some curiosity. Non curious people don’t sign up for doctoral programs. 🙂

• mm Chris Blackman says:

LOL to your last sentence. Maybe there is something to that.
      I am going to go back to what I wrote to Debbie. If I take out the word curious, and bring in the word responsible, that makes all the sense in the world to me. I just don’t ask a lot of questions and take things at face value. But if I know that people are counting on me to get something right, I take that very seriously and will dig deeper because of it. Y’all are making me feel better with your questions and my “aha” moment 🙂

7. Akwése Nkemontoh says:

Chris, I always enjoy reading your posts. I really like how you tie in AA so effortlessly and in this post, I LOVE the HALT acronym you share. That said, what I appreciate most is the invitation you offer for us all not to forget the real responsibility that leadership is. When I first start working with a new client I often begin by inviting them into my definition of leadership by outlining some key aspects I feel are essential, one of them being that leadership is a real responsibility we must choose to accept or not. You’ve challenged me (in a good way) to really ask what this looks like in practice as it relates to “the inundation of information thrown at us daily, from when we get up until we turn the lights off”? As doctoral students, contributing to research in our fields and then creating projects based off of the interpretations of my research findings, we must do due diligence in weeding through all data out there. How are you thinking about this when it comes to your own work?

I can’t help but wonder how much of the data collected around AA or other recovery groups are influenced by charged emotions and how this might play out as you continue in research. Would be curious to hear if this is something that has come up for you yet…

8. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Akwèse for your thoughts. The data in my field is all over the place. Mainly because the subjects (alcoholics, drug users, and other vices) have to be honest when it comes to collecting the data. You can say you haven’t drunk in 5 years, but after going home from a meeting, stopping at the liquor store, and grabbing a bottle. No one would know – hence the AA theme of “be true to yourself.”
    So, I will pray for discernment; I don’t know what else to do besides that. Take the data I get from the best sources, and pray that God will show me.
    To your second question – I have not gotten that far into it yet, but I sure am looking forward to jumping in!!