Not About Conformity, All About Respect and Acceptance! (Bukan Mematuhi, Tetapi Hormat Dan Penerimahan…)

Here is an individual I like to have coffee with!

Yascha Mounk’s book, The Identity Trap: A Story of Ideas and Power in Our Time refers to a situation where rigid adherence to group identities, whether based on ethnicity, nationality, religion, or other factors can hinder meaningful dialogue and understanding between different groups. Here are some key points I captured by reading Mounk’s book about identity trap[1]:

1. Group Membership: The identity trap occurs when individuals prioritize loyalty to their own group over open-minded engagement with others. This can lead to polarization, tribalism, and an unwillingness to consider alternative viewpoints.[2]
  2. Us vs. Them: When people perceive the world through an “us vs. them” lens, it becomes challenging to find common ground. The identity trap reinforces divisions and prevents constructive conversations.
  3. Cultural Appropriation: Mounk discusses cultural appropriation within the context of the identity trap. While acknowledging that some instances are harmful, he argues that the term is sometimes misused, stifling cultural exchange and creativity.[3]
  4. Balancing Identities: Mounk suggests that we need to strike a balance between celebrating our individual and group identities while remaining open to learning from others. The identity trap occurs when this balance tips too far in favor of exclusivity.[4]

I have observed members of the dominant culture adopt elements from the cultures of minority groups in ways that are exploitative, disrespectful, or stereotypical:

1. Definition of Culture: Culture encompasses knowledge, beliefs, art, morals, law, customs, and other capabilities acquired by individuals as members of society. It is not biologically inherited but rather learned and practiced within specific groups.
  2. Appreciation vs. Appropriation:
    • Appreciation: Appreciating a culture involves enjoying its food, learning its language, or celebrating its traditions.
    • Appropriation: Cultural appropriation occurs when elements are taken “without authority or right.” It goes beyond appreciation and can be harmful.
  3. Examples of Cultural Appropriation in the U.S.:
    • Madonna’s “Vogue”: In 1990, Madonna released the music video for her song “Vogue,” featuring a dance called “voguing” from the gay drag-ball subculture. Although she included drag performers, she profited from the dance’s origins.[5]
    • Henna Tattoos and Bindi: These cultural practices have become fads, often without understanding their significance.[6]
    • Sports Team Names: Some team names appropriate Native American culture without respecting its depth and history.[7]
  4. Targeted Groups: Cultural appropriation usually involves members of the dominant culture borrowing from minority groups. Black people, Asians, Latinxs, and Native Americans are often targeted.

The multicultural landscape:

In Malaysia, the diverse ethnicities, languages, and traditions often lead to rich cross-cultural exchanges. One of the delightful aspects of being Malaysian is the opportunity to participate in such exchanges, such as wearing each other’s traditional outfits during weddings and festivals. This diversity adds vibrancy to life, ensuring that one’s wardrobe is never boring.

For example, my husband, who is Caucasian, embraces Malaysian culture by wearing sarongs at traditional functions. This gesture is not only appreciated by my family but is also a sign of respect towards Malaysian traditions. It is noteworthy that he is mindful of cultural expectations, such as avoiding black attire at joyful events, as black is traditionally associated with mourning in Malaysian culture. This contrasts with Western culture, where black tie is considered appropriate for various occasions.

I had a culture shock at our wedding reception in the United States, where men and women wore black attire (suits and cocktail dresses). It was elegant of course! This experience highlighted the differences in cultural norms regarding attire, illustrating what is acceptable or expected can vary greatly between cultures.

On the other hand, “The Fine Line”:

• While cultural exchange is natural, thought and caution are essential.
    • Inviting oneself into someone else’s culture should be done with awareness.
    • For instance, wearing Indian clothing should recognize the complexities faced by Indian people who often cannot wear their own attire without assumptions or accusations.

Proper representation matters:

• When celebrating a culture, it is crucial to let members of that culture represent themselves.
    • Proper representation leads to more nuanced portrayals, breaking stereotypes and humanizing minority groups.
    • A certain on-line advertisement came under fire. It featured a Malay family in traditional Indian outfits, dancing and singing in a Bollywood-esque fashion. What the fuss about, some people thought. The advertisement company was criticized for cultural appropriation. It lacked awareness and misconception of the matter.[8]

As netizens called out the publication for lack of cultural awareness, the company issued an apology committing to educating themselves, fostering cultural awareness and ensuring to uphold the principles of respect and inclusivity.

“By all means, wear the clothing if you’ve been welcomed to participate in the culture, with awareness that in many contexts, Indian people themselves often cannot wear their own clothing without being assumed to be ‘that type of Indian’ or being accused of not being ‘professional’.” In contrast, a Malay of Chinese person wearing Indian clothing often elicits admiration and praise.”[9]

In summary, cultural appropriation is a complex issue that requires sensitivity and awareness to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes or disrespecting cultural heritage.

[1] Yascha Mounk, The Identity Trap, A Story of Ideas and Power in Our Time, (New York: Penguin Press, 2023), 14.

[2] Mounk, 154.

[3] Mounk, 125.

[4] Mounk, 134.

[5] Britannica, T. Editors of Encyclopedia. “What Is Cultural Appropriation?” Encyclopedia Britannica, December 7, 2023. https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-cultural-appropriation.

[6] Cultural Appropriation Of The United States – 1790 Words | Bartleby

[7] Native Appropriation Isn’t Appreciation. It Causes Real Harm. (lakotalaw.org).

[8] Preeta. Free Malaysia Today. https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/leisue/2021/cultural-appropriation-appreciation. Accessed on March 6, 2024.

[9] Preeta. Free Malaysia Today. https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/leisue/2021/cultural-appropriation-appreciation. Accessed on March 6, 2024.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

16 responses to “Not About Conformity, All About Respect and Acceptance! (Bukan Mematuhi, Tetapi Hormat Dan Penerimahan…)”

1. Christy Liner says:

Hi Shela, thank you for your post and for educating your classmates on cultural appropriation. As lean heavily on insights on cultural appropriation, I’m curious what you gleaned from the rest of the reading. What are some other learnings, things you found surprising, or things that you disagreed with?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Christy, thank you for reading my post and for your question.
      In my readings, I found excessive focus on identity – I think when people prioritize their group identity over common humanity, it can create divisions and hinder cooperation across different groups.

2. mm Kari says:

Shela,
    Thank you for your perspective on cultural appreciation versus appropriation. That is something I navigate daily in Africa.

I’m wondering what additional tips you would give to someone concerning dress and hospitality living in a host culture? What defines appreciation and what crosses the line to appropriation?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Kari thank you for reading my.
      While working for AT&T, I had the opportunity to work in India for a month. Initially, I stuck to my usual western clothing. However, as the days went by, I wanted to immerse myself in the local culture. So, I approached Anushka, the secretary, and talked to her about my interest in wearing traditional Indian attire. I was sort of seeking permission, ensuring that it would be appropriate. (the married women wear differently than the single women).
      Anushka, along with the other girls, graciously took me and the other American ladies shopping. This act was more than just a wardrobe change; it symbolized respect and a desire to truly belong among the local ladies. Western attire made us look superior. We decided to shed our western attire and become part of the Indian team. The transformation was remarkable—the demeanor of the ladies shifted, and I sensed genuine acceptance. They even invited us to a wedding, a gesture that touched our hearts. And let me tell you, the amount of shopping we did during that time was nothing short of incredible! 😊
      My suggestion is just ask your local colleagues and blend in slowly.

3. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Shela! I love your breakdown of cultural appreciation. As one who does international ministry, I try to major in cultural competence, recognizing the identity of those to whom I am privileged to minister. I also refuse the temptation to colonize someone based on my lived history or theology. Do you think that Mounk’s objectives are achievable? If so, what would you lean into to do so?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Daren, thank you for reading my post and for your question.
      For large countries with diverse populations and backgrounds, achieving the objectives Mounk refers to will undoubtedly take considerable time. Genuine interest from individuals is essential for accepting diversity within a community. I believe this process should commence with awareness, education, acceptance, and a fair justice system. Acceptance should never be imposed or forced, as it risks losing its authenticity and leading to mere conformity. Personally, I advocate for acceptance without compromising individuality.

Interestingly, the only place where I have heard voices expressing sentiments like ‘I cannot live without my Hindu, Christian, or Muslim friends’ is Mauritius. It truly is an amazing place to visit

Cheers!

4. Julie O'Hara says:

Hi Shela,
    Thank you for your excellent post. I appreciate your clear style. I read your discussion of appropriation vs appreciation with interest. I have many beautiful clothes gifted to me from friends in Afghanistan, many even custom made. As you wrote, they were honored that I would wear them and share their culture in this way. Being properly dressed went VERY far to help me be accepted when visiting. What are your thoughts about wearing some of these garments at home in Oregon – perhaps for special occasion? (they are mostly fancy by our standards)

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Julie, thank you for reading my post and for the question.

Oregon is known for its relaxed vibe. Formal attire often leans toward the classic black dress. Initially (26 years in Oregon), when I wore my traditional attire, I tend to stand out and felt out of place during my first year in Oregon. Later, at a wedding, I decided not to wear a black dress, as I would in Malaysia. Instead, I embraced my authentic self and started wearing my ‘kebaya,’ ‘cheong-sam,’ and ‘saree’ to special events. My husband, who is Caucasian, proudly dons his Malaysia shirt to accompany me.
      When attending special events, it is entirely appropriate to wear the traditional attire of your host. Even in Oregon, doing so demonstrates respect for their culture and appreciation for the significance of the occasion.

5. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Shela for sharing a snippet of your lives experience! I loved your last statement of “cultural appropriation is a complex issue that requires sensitivity and awareness to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes or disrespecting cultural heritage.”
    Sometimes I think it shouldn’t be that hard. There was a season in our life in DC where I drove Uber while looking for work. One of my most interesting drives (it was a long one) was a young woman who got into my car wearing a Hajib. I told her I was curious about her faith and what she believed, and I learned more on a 45-minute drive about the Muslim faith than I could imagine. She was extremely knowledgeable and open to discussion, and it was wonderful! She helped me understand better than in anything I could read.
    How do you think we as a society can create opportunities to learn (I guess there first needs to be a desire to do so) about each other’s cultures?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Chris,
      Thank you for reading my post and for your question.
      You are right, having the genuine interest to understand and appreciate another culture should be the first. step Genuine interest from individuals is essential for accepting diversity within a community. I believe this process should commence with awareness, education, acceptance, and a fair justice system. Acceptance should never be imposed or forced, as it risks losing its authenticity and leading to mere conformity.

Secondly, as a U.S. citizen (as an immigrant), I should not shy away from sharing my cultural stories or wearing my traditional attire. Similar to the experience you had with your passenger. Most people are open to stories.

Shela,
    Wow… I love learning from you and the differences between the Malay and Korean cultures.

How do you find yourself navigating your own identity in a culture that is a contrast to yours? And, are Malaysians more likely to be group-think oriented, like Koreans, or are you allowed your own thoughts and identity?

You and I have already touched on the assimilation of our shame-based cultures, but I find that Malaysians tend to be more vocal and less shame-based than Koreans. Do you find that to be accurate?

If you were to sit down with Mounk for coffee, what are 3 questions you would ask him?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Ni Nancy, thank you for reading my post and for the questions.

1. How do you find yourself navigating your own identity in a culture that is a contrast to yours? I simply embrace who I am. It is too much energy to sway away from who I am. I have never felt less being me. I never felt pressured to conform either. Everything starts with us (accepting our authentic self), others around us will follow.

2. Are Malaysians more likely to be group-think oriented, like Koreans, or are you allowed your own thoughts and identity?
      Malaysia consist of Malays, Chinese, Indians (Punjabi, Tamil, Malayalam, Gugirati, Sikhi… and more), Anglo-Chinese, Eurasians, and more…
      Yes, we have our own identity as individuals and group-thinking when comes to religion and ethnicity.

3.You and I have already touched on the assimilation of our shame-based cultures, but I find that Malaysians tend to be more vocal and less shame-based than Koreans. Do you find that to be accurate? Yes, you are right. My Korean friends have mentioned this to me too.

4. If you were to sit down with Mounk for coffee, what are 3 questions you would ask him?
      Wow! Great question – for now I can think of these two below:
      1. Why was it important for you (Mounk) to write this book?
      2. How would you address wokeness?

7. Debbie Owen says:

Shela, thank you for explaining so many things to me! I think it would be great for us to sit and have a chat one day soon, so I can learn more from you about the differences between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation.

As our society in the US has become ever more diverse, we have much to learn about how to show respect for each other’s experiences – cultural and otherwise – and how to help each other express joy and the sense that we are all one together, in Christ.

8. Elysse Burns says:

Shela, thank you for this great post. I really appreciated hearing your perspective on navigating appropriate cultural dress in other countries. I also laughed when reading about your culture shock in seeing black at a western wedding. I have had a few moments like that living in Mauritania!

I was moved by the points you listed under “The Fine Line.” Especially, point number three. In Mauritania, women wear what is called a mulhafa. They are uncomfortable and inconvenient and a lot of women dislike them. My solution has been, “Well, then take them off and wear what you want.” This is such a western, individualistic perspective! I have stopped giving this as a solution. The cultural complexities of wearing a mulhafa are more than I will ever understand.

As you learned the foreign land of Oregon, were there any cultural differences that you struggled to reconcile within yourself? I have lived in Mauritania for just over 3 years and I am still coming to terms with things that are not wrong, but just different.