Multiple personalities in christians

Personality: What makes you the way that you are
Dissociative identity disorder
The DSM-5 states that dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder) is characterized by “switching” to alternate identities. You may feel the presence of two or more people talking or living inside your head, and you may feel as though you’re possessed by other identities.[1] When experiencing different personalities individuals are not sure who they are or which personality to believe. There is a great amount of confusion about how they will be seen by the outside world. 
Personality according to Oxford Languages is the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character.  According to the great Wikipedia Personality is a structure gathering interrelated behavioral, cognitive, and emotional patterns that biological and environmental factors influence; these interrelated patterns are relatively stable over time periods, but they change over the entire lifetime. Though Wikipedia is not seen as the best source, I totally agree with its description.  The biological and environmental factors that we have/experience continue to be factored into our personality. I would also say that trauma can affect your personality.
Nettles points out 5 traits in personality: [2]
1. extraversion
2. agreeableness
3. conscientiousness
4. neuroticism
5. openness

Out of these five traits, I notice that agreeableness is quite popular. I notice agreeableness most in the church. I am an advocate for trying something before you for an opinion. I am also an advocate for knowing facts before just believing or following anything. In the church, we are sometimes agreeable because we believe in the source of the information before we have knowledge of the truth. It is always said in our bible lessons that we should be educated in the text so that no one can feed us with false teaching. If we are always agreeing without knowledge this can be detrimental to our Christian walk.

The Christian and Multiple Personalities

I sit in the church pews for forty-five years. It was not until I experience conviction that I felt that I was converting to true Christianity. The small voice that whispered to me as I dared to commit a sin, said: “Don’t do it, girl”. At first, I credited this to fear that I was too scared to commit the sin. Through my Christian walk, I learned that it was the whisper of God saying, “You don’t have to go through with it my child”. This new title of Christian changed something in me. I would say it changed my personality. The inner person that I could be was changed because I had dedicated this life to the Lord.

The change that I made had an effect on the way that I was seen by others. The Christian me was more conscientious about what I did and how I did it. Did I always follow the holy spirit (that is probably for a different blog)? In attempt to do what was right I tried and this why I feel that Christianity can make you feel as though you have different personalities on any given day.

1. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association, 2017.

2. N., Nettle, Daniel (reader In Psychology At The University Of. Personality – What Makes You the Way You Are. Oxford University Press, 2009.

https://www.wikipedia.org/

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

One response to “Multiple personalities in christians”

1. Shonell, I loved the comment you made “In the church, we are sometimes agreeable because we believe in the source of the information before we have knowledge of the truth.” This is a hard balance in the church as we are to walk by faith and yet we are also to consider the context of the scriptures. This is defiantly something worth thinking through as leaders in the church.