Moving Towards the Perpendicular

“I have yet to see a piece of writing, political or non-political, that does not have a slant. All writing slants the way a writer leans, and no man is born perpendicular.” (E. B. White)[1]

E.B. White is referring to writing. However, we all carry our own ‘slants’ whether we are writers or not.  This especially proved true for me a few years ago when I was asked to take the Implicit Association Test[2] regarding gender for one of my classes in my master’s program. I confidently took the test, assuming that, surely, I, as a female leader, had limited bias in the realm of gender. How wrong I was! The test showed that it was easier for me to equate males with positive leadership qualities than females. It made me realize that we all come to the table of life with our own lived experiences, preconceived ideas, and learned ideas that shape how we think, whether positive or negative, forming biases that we often don’t even know exist.

In her book, “Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias,” Pragya Agarwal takes on the monumental task of defining and unpacking how biases form and play out. She begins with an etymological study of the word ‘bias’, which means “’ to turn or to bend’ (Indo-European root)… ‘at an angle or crosswise’ (French root)… ‘to cut crosswise’ (Greek root). In other words, we are ‘slanted’ by our experiences, cultural backgrounds, and preconceived ideas without any possibility of being totally perpendicular.

Agarwal agrees that not all biases are negative. However, she chooses to focus on the unconscious (implicit) bias which is “misdirected and creates prejudice and discriminatory behavior through a negative association with a certain group or community.”[3] These biases often exist and continue to be pervasive because we are unaware of them and negate concrete, logical ways of forming decisions.[4]

In the article “Think You’re not Biased? Think Again,” Alison Pearce Stevens brings this lack of awareness to light. She shares that because our brains can only compute a few things at one time, we lump many concepts together to bring meaning.[5] In “Thinking, Fast and Slow,” Kahneman’s revolutionary research gave a rich understanding that our brains gravitate to ‘cognitive ease’ to process the world around us.[6] This means no matter how false something is, the brain will believe it if it is easier than thinking through why it is false. As humans, we often harbor attitudes and beliefs about others based on their gender, ethnicity, race, age, body weight, etc. which have no groundings in truth. Agarwal does not simply stay in the realm of race but expands to these areas and beyond.

One thought that stood out to me in Agarwal’s writing was how stereotypes are interlinked with prejudice.[7] As I mentioned in a previous post, a family member had referred to those in Germany who were not of German descent as “foreigners.” Agarwal calls it the ‘perpetual foreigner’.[8] When does someone move away from foreigner status? It is a continual ‘us vs. them’ scenario which never ends. Negative implicit biases which are left unaddressed, continue from generation to generation.

So how can we, as leaders, change things when implicit negative bias seems to be such a wicked problem? Furthermore, how can we affect change if we often don’t know what our own biases are? I close with three possibilities.

1. Be intentionally cautious and aware regarding our own biases: A fellow colleague, Tim Clark, mentioned to “be more intentionally cautious and recognize the fact that years and decades of leadership practice will not help-and can actually lead to harm-if it ends up only solidifying the unconscious bias” that we started with.[9] Though our biases are often under the surface, perhaps deeper thought and cautiousness would expose them.
  2. “Walk toward your discomfort.” In a Ted Talk, Diversity Advocate, Verna Myers, makes a powerful point. She asks us to look at our circles and contemplate, “Who is missing and why?” If a people group of any type seems to be off limits for you, force yourself to engage and expose your own biases.[10]
  3. Speak up. Verna Myers also mentions that, especially in family situations, we can often excuse not only our own biases but also the biases of others in our close contexts. However, we often forget that the children listening will continue the biases that they hear.[11] The next time I hear the word “foreigner” from a family member, I will engage in a conversation as to why that term is negative.

So, yes, we may never be totally perpendicular in how we view the world. However, if we all address our biases with greater tenacity and vigilance, perhaps our ‘slant’ will straighten just a bit.

[1] “Bias Quotes (580 Quotes),” accessed March 15, 2024, https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/bias.

[2] “Take a Test,” accessed March 15, 2024, https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html.

[3] Pragya Agarwal, Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias (London, UK, 2020),13

[4] Pragya Agarwal, 16.

[5] Alison Pearce Stevens, “Think You’re Not Biased? Think Again,” June 22, 2017, https://www.snexplores.org/article/think-youre-not-biased-think-again.

[6] Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow, 1st edition (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013).

[7] Pragya Agarwal, Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias, 124.

[8] Pragya Agarwal, 125.

[9] Tim Clark, “On Keeping My Own Side of the Street Clean,” accessed March 15, 2024, https://blogs.georgefox.edu/dlgp/on-keeping-my-own-side-of-the-street-clean/.

[10] Verna Myers video, “Implicit Bias & Shame,” Worcester Education Collaborative, accessed March 15, 2024, https://www.wecollaborative.org/implicit-bias-shame.

[11] Verna Myers video.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

7 responses to “Moving Towards the Perpendicular”

Hi Esther,
    God calls us to be “better.” As we are made in His image, the bar is set pretty high!

Two of the authors I quoted speak to a certain amount of negative emotionality brought into the microaggression dialogue. Their research is beginning to explore the presence of persons who are super sensitive (cup half empty) and are willing to label perceived antagonists as microaggressors.

I interested to see how their research continues.

Selah…

• Esther Edwards says:

Russell,
      That would be interesting research. As I mentioned in my response to Scott, this makes me think of Friedman’s “A Failure of Nerve.” It takes much wisdom to navigate what is needed with a wicked problem like implicit bias and what might cause the opposite effect of perpetuating a victimization mindset. I believe this is where intentional dialogue and relationship are crucial.

2. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Thank you for putting some “tips” in! I think Tim is right on and was really struck by the ted talk tip to lean into the discomfort. What if we all reached out to someone on the edge. Who are we missing? is also great! Thank you Esther. I, too, realize I have my own implicit bias to women. I have a person high up in my company who is…hmmm…something interesting to consider as a leader who is a woman. She just moved higher in my company and while I worry about this position, I do realize there needs to be a celebration that a woman made this position. I think what’s hard is to consider how torn I feel to celebrate who she is and still question this move?

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Jana,
      Thanks for sharing your experience. I think what this book has helped me with is to ask myself why I think the way I do. Perhaps my thoughts are warranted in some way, but then again maybe not. I guess I would ask you, is the hesitation with this leader in your company coming from the fact that she is female, or is it that perhaps she doesn’t fit the role well? Or maybe neither?

Ahhh…victimization mindset.

That is the phrase I was looking for.

Sadly, every brilliant culture and ethnic group has this mindset emerge when it is transplanted.

Sigh…even my U.S. Army Subculture complains in every deployment overseas.

Selah…

Hi Esther, I appreciate how you highlighted the question Verna Myers asked, “Who is missing and why?” While I contemplated my circle of influence, I was pleased for the most part. No one is off limits, but I noticed a lack of opportunity. This week, I reached out to someone who I was concerned about a with an invitation, but they declined. I think what I noticed in terms of my discomfort was that feeling of rejection. I will check out the Verna Meyers video you mentioned. Thank you!