Mining is a Messy Business

“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, You who seek the LORD: Look to the rock from which you were hewn And to the quarry from which you were dug.” (Isaiah 51:1 NASB) Though I have previously studied church history I must admit that I, like many, have tended to localize and personalize it without considering how deep my roots truly run. David Bebbington in his book Evangelicalism In Modern Britain unfolds the historical foundation and changes in Evangelicalism, as well as, its influence on modern Christianity along with those items that influenced its development. His four qualities of Evangelicalism, a changed life (conversionism), living out the gospel (activism), the importance of the Bible as the word of God (biblicism) and the sacrificial death of Christ on the cross (crucientrism) grounded his readers in connecting the dots while exploring the many facets of the evangelical movement.[1] With the many changes over  the past 40 years since the 1980’s in the areas of technology, human rights and other aspects of the culture I wonder what the biggest influence on Evangelicalism has been? How has the redefinition of community due to the onslaught of social medal effected Evangelicalism?

Though I was raised Lutheran a major portion of my life of faith has been within the Charismatic and Pentecostal aspects of Evangelicalism. In the early 1970’s my family became involved in the Charismatic movement. At that time, they didn’t have formal organized Charismatic churches. We attended Atonement Lutheran Church on Sundays and attended a small house church during the week. It wasn’t until the late 1970’s that I attended an Assembly of Gods Pentecostal church for the first time. Not having a Charismatic Church in the area at the time, along with, the Lutheran Church no longer tolerating those of the Charismatic persuasion a Pentecostal church was the only alternative for individuals that embraced specific gifts of the Holy Spirit.

As Bebbington described the influences surrounding the Charismatic Movement in Britain I couldn’t help but grin when he brought up Earn Baxter and the “Ft. Lauderdale Five”[2] which consisted of Derek Prince, Ern Baxter, Charles Simpson, Bob Mumford and Don Basham. These men were known influencers during my limited time spent in the Charismatic movement. If my memory serves me correctly due to the infancy of the America Charismatic body much of their teaching was done via cassette tape and distributed through a monthly tape club. Though I had transitioned to the Assembly of God Church before this time, little did I know they would start what was to become the shepherding movement which tended to over emphasized discipleship and submission to spiritual leaders. In the early 1980’s Bob Mumford and Derek Prince disassociated themselves from the discipleship process and both eventually offered a public statement of repentance for their involvement in the shepherding movement.[3] Though I have fond memories of that spiritual period of my life I recognize mistakes were made and still exist with the Charismatic Church. Yet for many it was a time of hope as the current events of the period were focused on civil unrest, the dismantling of the Vietnam War machine and the political aftermath of Watergate.

After reading through Bebbington’s book looking at the effects of Evangelicalism on history, as well as, the effects of historical events on Evangelicalism I couldn’t help but notice that contrary to what some may want to believe the growth of Christianity wasn’t and still isn’t a logical progressive series of events and choices. Growth was often brought about through cultural change and what could be described as times of chaos and turmoil. As I look back at the spiritual rock of which I was hewn and quarry from which I was personally dug I can appreciate my spiritual heritage despite the mistakes and short comings that accompanied it.  I appreciate my Lutheran background and that I was required to learn the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed. I can’t count the number of times when I was asked about the foundations of my faith that I end up summarizing the creeds in one fashion or another. I appreciate my time in the Charismatic Movement and the lessons I learned. My time in the Assembly of God and Four-Square Pentecostal Churches has been priceless to me. They say, “hindsight is 20/20”. As I look back at my spiritual pilgrimage a few things become obvious. First, I wouldn’t change any of it. Things that happened along my journey needed to happen in order to make me who I am and to bring me to a reliance on God. Second, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line when it comes to one’s spiritual life. Things get messy, choices are made, broken people despite their faith in Jesus do stupid things. A life in Christ is not one of perfection but one of becoming like Jesus. Third, my journey is mine and mine alone. God knows my design and make up. I can’t always control what happens to me, but I can control what happens in me.

J.I. Packer in 1980 when looking theological at the Charismatic Movement stated “No type of Christian spirituality is free from dangers, weaknesses and threats to maturity arising from its very strengths, and it is not as if Christian maturity (which includes all-around liveliness of response to God, as well as sobriety of judgement) was overwhelmingly visible in non-charismatic circles today.”[4] I admit I wish that all of Christianity was clean and precise. I wish I could say that churches don’t make mistakes or could be assured that the future church will do it better, but I can’t. As an adjunct professor I walk in the classroom annually to face students that look at the world through a black and white set of lenses. Part of my task is to assist them in seeing the many shades of grey knowing that part of my battle is vying for the hearts and souls of my students. The world would love to convince them that truth of the gospel is but a myth and Jesus just a man.  Despite the challenges the church has faced and will face I do understand “we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves.” (2 Corinthians 4:7 NASB) This life, isn’t about me. As a good friend of mine always says “Thank God for Jesus.”

[1] D.W. Bebbington, Evangelicalism In Modern Britain: A History From the 1730s to the 1980s (New York, Routledge, 1989), 3

[2] Bebbington, 232

[3] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherding_Movement offers a fairly decent explanation of these events.

[4] J.I.Packer, 1980, “Theological Reflections on the Charismatic Movement Part 1.” Churchman 94/1, http://churchsociety.org/docs/churchman/094/Cman_094_1_Packer.pdf, accessed January 13, 2020

.

Greg Reich

Entrepreneur, Visiting Adjunct Professor, Arm Chair Theologian, Leadership/Life Coach, husband, father and grandfather. Jesus follower, part time preacher! Handy man, wood carver, carpenter and master of none. Outdoor enthusiast, fly fisherman, hunter and all around gun nut.

12 responses to “Mining is a Messy Business”

Isn’t it interesting to think back on what it means to be part of the various tribes we’re part of? I remember in our children’s church, the director was talking with us before the session started. We were asking him the difference between our church and some of the others. “Well, us General Baptists don’t believe in once saved always saved,” he said. “That’s part of what it means to be a General Baptist. We also don’t believe that we’re the only ones going to Heaven, like the Church of Christ folk down the road.” I don’t think I realized how full of nuances all of those statements were until I went to college.

When I went to college, I attended a General Baptist university in Southern Indiana. One of the courses we had to take was called “General Baptist Heritage” and it became one of the most important classes I took during my time there. We delved into the (relatively) short history of the General Baptists in the Midwest, but in order to do that we had to trace our history back to the Baptists in England. As we went through the material, the identity of a General Baptist began to take more and more shape. It was no longer “we don’t believe in once saved always saved” or “we think others are going to be in Heaven.” Now, it was a rich history full of theological underpinnings and cultural leanings as the GBs evolved into what they are now. I can’t help but wonder where the GBs will be in the next hundred years and what they will say when they look back on us now.

• Greg Reich says:

Dylan,

I wish others would be willing to dig into their roots and find the value that lays beneath the surface. What seems to be the norm is we focus on the mistakes and shortcomings of the faith and abandon the good. The history of the church is full of mistakes and screw ups that have hurt and harmed people, but it also full of amazing acts of faith and devotion to God that has spawned great change. I am amazed how the church has thrived over the centuries despite the brokeness and self centeredness of its members. It would go along way if we kept in mind that apart from the grace and power of God this ship would have sunk a long time ago.

• Simon Bulimo says:

Greg!
      While doing Church History, one thing I know is that much has been left out. However, Authors like Bebbingtone have come come out so clearly by showing the foundations or origins of some movements. I appreciate you and the author of the book

2. Joe Castillo says:

And yet we continue to hear that Western Christian religion is falling apart, its authority and influence are diminishing and its adherents are losing commitment. Erosion has begun slowly, but has gained strength. Christianity, as we know it, is becoming irrelevant.

For example, the MIT Technology Review of April 4, 2014, began an article about the relationship between the Internet and religion by saying this: “In 1990, about eight percent of the population of The United States had no religious preference. By 2010, this percentage had more than doubled to 18 percent. This implies a difference of about 25 million people, all of whom have somehow lost their religion. This inevitably raises an obvious question: why did it happen? Why are Americans losing their faith?

• Greg Reich says:

Joe,
      There is no doubt that we are seeing a shift in the makeup of American Christianity especially with the influx of social media, individual rights and the redefinitions of family and gender. I believe these are pivotal times for people of faith to truly ask themselves what it means to be a follower of Christ. The church has survived and thrived for centuries despite the changes and challenges it had faced. It will continue to survive despite our failures and inconsistencies. Are Americans losing their faith or are they becoming disillusioned with organized religion and denominational banter? Are people liking the idea of being a Jesus follower apart from being a church goers? If so why is this the case?

As I read your words, I kept thinking, Greg is trans-denominational, like me. We are a mix of different influences over time that have molded us to be who we are. Add in cultural and societal pressures, and even more layers of influence happen. Following Jesus and being transformed into his image is not done in a bubble, and it’s definitely messy.

As one who spent many years in black and white Christianity, your statement stuck a chord with me: “Part of my task is to assist them in seeing the many shades of grey knowing that part of my battle is vying for the hearts and souls of my students.” Evangelicals are often anti-art. I think this is a detriment to the discipleship model.

I didn’t need shades of gray, what I needed was to see the beauty of God, to be given permission to sit in awe and wonder and allow the Spirit to flow freely through me in prayer that involved creativity and color. Creative prayer unlocked something within me that I didn’t know needed unlocking. It helped move me from my head into my heart. When I teach students various spiritual disciplines, I have to challenge them if we are to love God with all our mind, we have to use areas that may not come naturally to us, such as tapping into creative, emotional, and holistic areas to bring forth a fuller experience and belief of who God is, who we are, and how we are to move in this world. Some think it’s silly to color and collage and write poetry about God, but others are instantly transformed, and their relationship with God will never be the same. Maybe sharing God in a more colorful way would be of benefit for your students, too? Maybe adding some fun into the mix would make the battle zone less taxing and more freeing?

RE: With the many changes over the past 40 years since the 1980’s in the areas of technology, human rights and other aspects of the culture I wonder what the biggest influence on Evangelicalism has been?

I would say that globalization from 1980-2010 and the subsequent nationalism counter-movement are a couple of the biggest influences on Evangelicalism. As many were encouraged to adopt the “global village” mindset, it left many without a firm identity. When political leaders came bringing a strong sense of national identity, it resonated with people. Religion gets tied in a disastrous knot with this and begins conflating Evangelicalism and politics.

How would you answer your own question?

I would agree that the “global village” mindset has left churches in a quandary. My concern is the erosion from within the church that has happened over the past 40 years. I am sure there are numerous causes but we are seeing an integration of new age humanistic thinking embraced in the church that is taking our focus from living with the intent to honor and glorify God and turning it to focusing on what’s in for me. When did we transition from a worship of God to a worship on one’s personal rights. As a life coach, businessman and a voracious reader of self help literature I have to constantly regroup and ask myself if what I am reading or training is even biblical. I find myself often saying that something is a great idea but realize that not all great ideas are God ideas. When the two clash and I can see a clear distinction I choose the scripture and release the other. I tend to default on the conservative side. I find it is possible to revive something that has been smothered by more conservative thinking and much more difficult and hurtful to try to revive something that has had its foundational underpinnings eroded by an all roads lead to Rome mindset. I believe we are experiencing the erosion of the foundation and underpinnings of our faith in today’s culture. Why is it we can embrace and all agree on the absolute physical laws like gravity but when it comes to a moral absolute we can’t? It has been my experience that any time we lift up humanity we have to downsize God. When we can downsize God into a manageable being we can then downsize His call to holiness.

Greg.

I appreciate that you point out that new growth in the movement was always the result of chaos and turmoil. It does make me wonder about the decline of the Evangelical movement in the US. Do you think that this could be a result of too long a season of tranquility and power? Do you foresee the current chaos within the country as it relates to white Evangelicalism as a time of rebirth?

• Greg Reich says:

Jer,
      I too am concerned about the decline of Evangelicalism in the US. I have never been one who has bought into the health and wealth gospel and that christianity should be a faith of personal comfort . Since when is loving your enemy a convenience or comfortable. Due to many reasons, some of them bore through pain, I have come to see the value in Hebrews 12. The writer informs us that we are to endure trials for the sake of discipline and that discipline is an act of love from God and is proof of our sonship. This shaking up of Evangelicalism no matter how we wish to consider it, may not be all bad. If history has shown us anything renewal comes when God’s people come to and end of themselves and cry out to God. Coming to an end of oneselves is a dying process, maybe we are witnessing this in America. I can’t say but meanwhile we pray, we become messengers of reconciliation and we cling to the hope that is within us.

7. Steve Wingate says:

Christianity wasn’t and still isn’t a logical progressive series of events and choices. Growth was often brought about through cultural change and what could be described as times of chaos and turmoil.

I would argue that it is a progressive series but no, not always logical; to us. It’s difficult to pin down like some want us to, yet neither calamity or the lack of it inhibit or encourage God’s will. God can work with any condition. Yet, I would agree that the sense of urgency: declining church attendance can help bring about new growth. For that very reason, and others, I think, I think, that is one reason we are seeing more and more bi-vocational, multi-income, and co-vocational pastors.

I appreciate how you’ve articulated your own spiritual journey. Part of my Wesleyan heritage is the idea of salvation as a process of constantly being shape and reshaped. This takes enormous amounts of humility to recognize that we are not yet where we need to be, but also great hope to know that we are on the path. I see this humility greatly lacking today in the Church. I suppose we assume that not having all the answers must mean we don’t know what we’re talking about. I wonder how the unchurched community would react if the Church were to open confess its sin and admit to what we don’t know? Thoughts?