Media Biases (Berat-Sebelah Media)

Bobby Duffy is the author of the book, Why We’re Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding. Duffy draws on numerous public-opinion studies conducted by himself and colleagues across various countries, focusing on social and political questions. In his book, Duffy offers several valuable lessons about human cognition, biases and understanding such as:

1. Awareness of cognitive biases: Duffy highlights various cognitive biases that affect human decision making and understanding by becoming aware of this biases such as confirmation bias, seeking information that confirms preconceptions or availability heuristic (overestimating the importance of readily available information), readers can start to recognize when their thinking may be influenced by these biases.[1]
  2. Critical thinking skills: Developing critical thinking skills is essential for navigating a complex world filled with misinformation and misunderstandings. Duffy emphasizes the importance of questioning assumptions, seeking out diverse perspectives and evaluating evidence objectively before forming opinions or making decisions.[2]
  3. Open mindedness and flexibility: Being open minded and willing to revise beliefs in the face of current information is crucial. The book encourages readers to embrace uncertainty, acknowledge the limitations of their knowledge and remain flexible in the thinking to avoid falling into rigid or polarized viewpoints.[3]
  4. Media literacy: In today’s digital age understanding media biases misinformation and the spread of fake news is essential. Duffy discusses the role of media in shaping perceptions and provides insights into how individuals can become more media literate by fact checking, verifying sources and consuming information from diverse and reliable sources.[4]
  5. Understanding differences: Recognizing and empathizing with the perspectives and experiences of others can help bridge divides and reduce polarization. Duffy’s book encourages empathy as a tool for fostering constructive dialogue promoting mutual understanding and overcoming biases based on stereotypes or limited information.[5]
  6. Continuous learning and improvement: No one is immune to errors in judgment or misunderstandings, but ongoing learning and self-awareness can lead to improvement. By adopting a mindset of continuous learning, seeking feedback and being open to self-correction can mitigate the impact of cognitive biases and make more informed decisions over time.[6]

Media literacy[7]

I was interested to read more about media literacy, then realized that Duffy does not specifically focus on media literacy. Instead, he explores broader themes related to human misperceptions, cognitive biases, and the importance of accurate information. While media literacy is not a central topic in this book, understanding our tendency to misunderstand can indirectly inform our approach to media consumption and critical thinking. For example:

1. Critical Evaluation: Media literacy involves critically evaluating information presented in the media, including assessing the credibility of sources, checking for bias, and verifying the accuracy of claims.
  2. Understanding Biases: Media literacy also involves understanding the various biases that can affect media content, such as political bias, commercial bias, and cultural bias. By being aware of these biases, individuals can better interpret media messages.
  3. Fact-Checking: Media literacy includes fact-checking information before accepting it as true. This may involve cross-referencing information with reliable sources and checking for any inconsistencies or inaccuracies.
  4. Recognizing Misinformation: Media literacy involves being able to recognize misinformation and disinformation, such as fake news or misleading information spread with the intent to deceive.
  5. Understanding Media Influence: Media literacy also involves understanding how media messages can influence attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. This includes recognizing persuasive techniques used in advertising and media content.

In exploring other authors, I came across Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide by Henry Jenkins. In summary, Jenkins explores the changing landscape of media in the digital age. While Jenkins’ focus on participatory culture and audience engagement, he also emphasizes the importance of media literacy in combating misinformation. Educating audiences about how to critically evaluate information and sources can help mitigate the spread of false information. Jenkins addresses those challenges of verifying information in a converged media environment – with information flowing through multiple channels and sources, it can be difficult for audiences to discern credible sources from unreliable ones.[8]

Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture, by Douglas Rushkoff, although he does not provide warnings about the negative influence of media literacy, Rushkoff agrees that media messages can function like viruses, spreading ideas and ideologies that may not always be in the best interest of the public.[9]

According to Media Literacy: Understanding Stereotypes in Media, this site shares how media plays a significant role in shaping our perceptions of reality. It can function as both a mirror, reflecting our own experiences, and a window, allowing us to learn about the experiences of others. However, when it comes to representing diversity, there are several critical issues:

Under-representation: Historically, many groups have been under-represented in the media. Even today, we encounter less diversity in mass media than in real life. Behind the scenes, diverse communities are often even less well-represented than onscreen. Under-representation limits opportunities for authentic portrayals of diversity within a group.

De-centering: Sometimes, under-represented groups are relegated to the background, serving as a backdrop for more “mainstream” protagonists. For example, a White character excelling in skills associated with a non-White culture or stories where under-represented characters need a majority-culture character to “save” them.

Stereotyping: Portraying members of a particular group in limited roles perpetuate stereotypes. Negative stereotypes harm by reinforcing biases, while even so-called “positive stereotypes” limit how we see individuals within that group.[10]

Take Away

Why We’re Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding serves as a wake-up call, urging us to recognize our fallibility and strive for a more informed understanding of the world. According to Duffy, ‘we can learn a lot by understanding why we’re so often so wrong.’[11]

[1] Bobby Duffy, Why We Are Wrong About Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding, (New York, NY: Basic Books, 2019). 15-22.

[2] Duffy. 176.

[3] Duffy. 220.

[4] Duffy. 98-107.

[5] Duffy. 74.

[6] Duffy. 29

[7] Duffy. 216

[8] Henry Jenkins. Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide, (New York, NY: NYU Press, 2008).

[9] Douglas Rushkoff. Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture. (New York, NY: Ballantine Books, 1994).

[10] Representation of Diversity in Media – Overview | MediaSmarts, accessed March 19, 2024, https://mediasmarts.ca/digital-media-literacy.

[11] Duffy. 221.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

12 responses to “Media Biases (Berat-Sebelah Media)”

1. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thanks Shela. I appreciate the way you draw in other resources related to Media Literacy. How does that relate to the work you are currently doing around your NPO?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan, thank you for reading my post and for your question. While the media does not directly impact my NPO, I firmly believe that it has the power to illuminate the under-represented population, particularly the dedicated leaders who contribute significantly to our community.

2. Chad Warren says:

Shela, thank you for drawing in the work of Henry Jenkins. He is someone I am not familiar with, but glad for the introduction. Like Ryan, I would be interested to see how Media Literacy relates to your NPO. I admit I don’t know much about your NPO topic.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Chad, thank you for reading my post and for the question. Your question is very much like Ryan’s. While the media does not directly impact my NPO, I firmly believe that it has the power to illuminate the under-represented population, particularly the dedicated leaders who contribute significantly to our community.
      My NPO focuses on addressing leadership deficiencies related to collaborative efforts with individual contributors within the corporate sphere.

Shela,
    When it comes to your NPO, how important do you think it is for you to remember all the takeaways you had from this book? How open minded do you need to be, as well as your stakeholders? And how will you navigate understanding the differences as you move forward?

Hi Nancy,
    Thank you for reading my post and for the questions. My NPO focuses on addressing leadership deficiencies related to collaborative efforts with individual contributors within the corporate sphere.
    My takeaway from a leadership standpoint is the importance of (not limited to) 1. Awareness of cognitive biases, 2) Critical thinking skills 3) Open mindedness and flexibility 4) Fact checking 5) Continuous learning and improvement.
    Open-mindedness should accompany one’s value – for example, to what extend am I supposed to be open-minded? I for one believe in acceptance of others but I am not a conformist when it impacts my moral and faith values. Therefore, I offer the same freedom to my stakeholders.
    Your question, ‘And how will you navigate understanding the differences as you move forward?’
    I do not think I will fully understand – I will cross that bridge when I get there.

5. Akwese says:

Hi Shela, thanks for sharing your thoughts. As someone who once thought I was going to enter media literacy, I really appreciated you exploring this a bit in your post. Im curious, why it stuck out for you? Also, out of the core reasons why we get things wrong that you listed, which impacts you the most and why?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Akwese,

Thank you for reading my post and for the questions.
      Media literacy is an interesting topic. I did not quite understand why Duffy kind of touch on it yet did not make the effort to elaborate on it. I appreciate the benefits of media literacy. Such as:

Critical Thinking: Media literacy encourages critical thinking skills, enabling individuals to analyze, evaluate, and interpret media messages more effectively.

Empowerment: It empowers individuals to be more informed and active participants in society, allowing them to make more educated decisions about media consumption and creation.

Mitigating Misinformation: Media literacy helps individuals recognize misinformation and disinformation, reducing the spread of false information.

Understanding Bias: It helps individuals understand the biases present in media content, such as political, commercial, and cultural biases, leading to more balanced and informed perspectives.

Enhanced Communication Skills: Media literacy can improve communication skills by teaching individuals how to effectively convey messages through different media platforms.

On the other hand, the abundance of media content and platforms can overwhelm individuals, making it difficult to stay informed and critically evaluate all the information they encounter.

Which impacts me the most and why?
      Open mindedness and flexibility: The book encourages readers to embrace uncertainty, acknowledge the limitations of their knowledge and remain flexible in the thinking to avoid falling into rigid or polarized viewpoints. Duffy further advises that being open minded and willing to revise beliefs in the face of current information is crucial.
      I do not quite agree with this claim. To what extend am I supposed to be open minded and be willing to revise my beliefs. My faith and my values are somethings I am not willing to revise. I am flexible to accept the beliefs others, but I am not willing to conform (“willing to revise”).

6. mm Kari says:

Hi Shela, Thanks for your post. I am wondering how you will practically “recognize [your] fallibility and strive for a more informed understanding of the world” as you move forward?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Kari, thank you for reading my post and for the question.
      All these have been progressing over the years:
      I mostly recognize my fallibility through the mistakes I have made, I reflect on the past mistakes and failures, consider what went wrong and how my actions and decisions contributed to the outcome.
      I try to understand and empathize with the perspectives of others, even if I disagree with them.
      I actively seek feedback from others, especially those with different perspectives or expertise. Their input can help me see blind spots and errors in my thinking.
      Humility, self-awareness, and a willingness to acknowledge the limitations of my own knowledge and understanding have helped me to grow.

7. Elysse Burns says:

Hi Shela, I appreciate the way you weaved ideas from Henry Jenkins and Douglas Rushkoff into your post. I agree with Rushkoff that media messages can be like viruses! Concerning media literacy, what do you do to find accurate information about a subject when you recognize there is under-representation and stereotyping? I struggle not to be cynical about media.

Hi Elysse,
    Thank you for reading my post and for the question.
    By reaching out to experts or professionals in the field related to the subject I am researching. For example, coming from Malaysia, I was not fluent in understanding Judaism. While on a plane (Boston to Oregon), I met a Rabbi who sat next to me. I had an amazing conversation with him, and I kept in touch with him while I was in the seminary as well. His expertise provided me firsthand answers. By reading about Judaism enable me to find accurate information. I look for authors, and creators from under-represented groups who can provide authentic perspectives on the subject.