Knowledge Versus Knowing

KnowledgeSS-Post

Introduction

The word “theology” invokes a wide range of emotions and arguments.  To some it is a substitution for just “knowing Jesus” for others it is the ability to proof text what you really believe.  Stanley Grenz and Roget Olson in their work, “Who Needs Theology?” addresses holistically the true need of theology.  Grenz and Olson believe that “everyone is a theologian” (p. 12) in some form or fashion, whether they acknowledge or not.  Their premise is, “no one who reflects on life’s ultimate question can escape theology.” (p. 13)

Summary

“Who Needs Theology?” is an overview of the word “theology” and what the word invokes.  It is not a treatise on a particular directive of theology, it is a thought provoking overview of man’s deepest to know something that is bigger than they are.  One of my greatest takeaways from the book was, “theology is seeking to understand with the intellect what the heart – a person’s central core of character – already believes and to which it is committed.” (p. 16)

Of great worth the book analyses five forms of theology:  folk, lay, ministerial, professional, and academic. (p. 26)  As I read and deciphered these five forms, a realization that my early development was a combination of the first three:  folk, lay and ministerial.  The concept of professional and academic theology was never demonized but seemed to be for those on a distant hemisphere than the one I occupied.

The gauntlet was laid down when Grenz and Olson said, “being a theologian requires that you become disqualified with your present level of understanding.  You must desire to deepen your comprehension of the Christian faith and be committed to growing toward mature thinking about God, yourself, and the world.” (p. 136)  This statement is rich with conviction and hope for searching for true theology, not just mental understanding that creates, “…a kind of esoteric knowledge possessed by a few superior intellectuals.”

Analysis

We have heard several times that a DMin is to help with the “practice” of ministry.  To date we have explored ethnography and social geographies which, as should be in holding to the nature of their writing, have illuminated a lot about humanities ability to cluster and form groups to the ability of us to want to express who we really are.  “Who Needs Theology?” leads back to the centrality of human understanding – “faith seeking understanding” (p. 25).

Systematic Theology can lean to the “esoteric knowledge possessed by a few superior intellectuals” (p. 24).  If this attitude is not kept in check with the knowledge and experience of Jesus Christ, then a psuedo-Christian hierarchy is developed. Chapter Two’s title, “Not All Theologies Are Equal”, should have had a follow up chapter, “Not all Theologians Are Equal”.  The possession of intellectual truth is not synonymous with knowing the focal point of the search, Jesus Christ.

Readily would I admit that I have been influenced by folk theology in season of my childhood and early years.  Folk theology refers to “a kind of theology that rejects critical reflection and enthusiastically embraces simplistic acceptance of an informal tradition of beliefs and practices composed mainly of clichés and legends.” (p. 27)  Yet I would differ that there was not a rejection to critical reflection and thinking, it was more the lack of knowing “how to”.  The authors claim that “folk theology is often intensely experiential and pragmatic – that is, the criteria of true belief are feelings and results.” (p. 27)

Transparency would say that I am appreciative of the experiential and the pragmatic.  It played a role in creating a sense of life and enthusiasm to what could be a religious dirge found in the world of religion minus Christ, based in intellect and devoid of feelings.  In contrast I have moved toward the professional and academic worlds theology.  The cry within my life is to simply embrace “faith seeking understanding.” (p. 24)  I want to “know” and have a “knowledge” of Jesus.

Phil Goldsberry

9 responses to “Knowledge Versus Knowing”

1. Hi Phil. What I like about your post is the emphasis on knowing Jesus. Reading your stuff I was reminded how Jesus is the way the truth and the life. Your post shows that! Thanks!
    What helped you shift from practicing Folk Theology to more Professional and Academic?

• Phil Goldsberry says:

Aaron:
      Folk theology seems quite prevalent in classical Pentecostalism, that is where my childhood was spent. As my teenage years brought questions, I needed answers. The “search” was subtle with asking and prodding but I knew there needed to be a search that had foundation and substance.

That began a thirst for learning in both secular and Christian environments.

Thanks for asking….hope that helps.

Phil

2. Rose Anding says:

Thanks Phil. It is great topic, “Knowledge versus Knowing”. In the Christian world there are two groups: those who have knowledge about God, and those who personally know God. Thus, biblically to know God is not to know about him in an abstract and impersonal manner, but rather to enter into his saving actions. How can one evangelize without theology, because theology is the gospel? There are many Christian who think that theology is best left to pastors or other church leaders, but that is why the scripture says, “They have a zeal for God, but not accordance with knowledge” ( Romans 10:2)

It is a great blog, beautiful layout, very easy to read and I like the way you presented the facts. Thanks Rose

3. Phil Goldsberry says:

Rose:

Thank you. Maybe maturity has brought out a more balanced approach to theology. There needs to be that chemistry of knowing the God that you are seeking, not just knowing about Him.

It would be like looking at a dating website and getting a lot of information and never pursuing the first date.

Phil

4. Claire Appiah says:

Phil,
    Your post “Knowledge versus Knowing” brought out so many rich nuggets from Grenz and Olson’s book Who Needs Theology? I can also appreciate their statement, “Theology is seeking to understand with the intellect what the heart—a person’s central core of character—already believes and to which it is committed” (16). I kept pondering over that statement because something about it did not sit right with me. I have come to the conclusion that the statement is true for the believing Christian who has an inner knowing in their heart of their belief system about God, Jesus Christ, their salvation, etc. But, they are still at the point of intellectualizing the veracity of biblical truths they already believe. However, that statement does not hold true for the non-Christian whose heart has no discernment of God. I recall that as a non-believer, I had knowledge of God, but I did not have that inner witness in my heart of knowing who He was.

• Phil Goldsberry says:

Claire:

Interesting thought. But if “theology” is the individual’s reflection of life. An unbeliever has a “theology”, even though is not God. And if theology is the connection of the head and heart, wouldn’t it be true that an unbelieving heart stands on this premise?

Thank you for the feedback.

Phil

5. Phil,

I know that we have been on this journey together and I agree with the premise of your blog. I have gained in this area of theology must definitely from the writings of Dr. Hart. His book challenged me to come to a balance of all the ideas about theology and then to define what I believe. He did that in a very powerful way. I see some of the process in this book.

I believe we have come to know God more but the important take aways have been in “knowing” and experiencing Him on this journey instead of becoming more knowledgeable. I don’t know that the drive will be to astound others with our knowledge but to challenge others to a deeper relationship with Jesus. To push their faith forward to depend on Christ and not on what they know.

Thanks for the though provoking words. God Bless

Kevin

6. Phil Goldsberry says:

Kevin:

The drive should not be to “astound others” it should be to establish what we truly believe. Faith or believing is not based on our knowledge level. But don’t you think that once faith is established, maturity needs to be ongoing?

Your thoughts?

Phil

7. Garfield Harvey says:

Phil,
    Great post…I grew in an environment that thrived on folk theology. When you think about Jesus’ ministry, it centered around that as well because He started by the Sea of Galilee. Jesus preached about a kingdom, which would suggest that there’s a king, kingdom dwellers, castle and enemies. However, Jesus stated that our enemies are spiritual, the kingdom is not made by hands (although He’s going to prepaer it) and that you needed a new body. These are stories that steered me in the right direction and yes…I had many questions that led me to higher education. However, I would never minimize the folk theology that motivated my quest/desire for information on God’s truth.