Keep reading…

I am a confirmed bibliophile. I love books. I love buying them, reading them, talking about them, and putting them up on the bookshelf that features prominently in the living room of my home. When I visit someone’s home, I always notice whether or not they have a bookshelf, which books are on that shelf, and then I judge accordingly.

This was my background as I sat down to read the humorously titled, “How To Talk About Books You Haven’t Read” by Pierre Bayard. From the start, Bayard lays out his thesis and purpose, which is to challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about what it means to “read” a book, and the ways that we engage with the ideas and writings that are important in our lives.

Bayard writes, “the notion of the book-that-has-been read is ambiguous”[1], which he explains as the problem of what we mean by “reading a book”. He shows how some people have heard of a book and know a lot about it, others have “skimmed” a book and gained some insight, there are others who have diligently read most of a book, but never fully finished it, and still others who read every word, but forgot everything that they read! He is asking the question, “who is really qualified to talk about this book?” Who is the true reader?

This is a thorny question, because Bayard is someone who represents himself as someone who loves books, learning, conversations and ideas. He is not saying, “there is no value in books”, nor “we should do away with books.” Instead, what Bayard suggests in his writing, is that there are a myriad of ways to faithfully and authentically talk about books that you have not, in fact, read.

His chapters expand on this central idea, as he introduces us to various examples from literature, of people who exemplify this notion. It is really entertaining to read about Musil in the library, Valery giving literary criticism, Martins delivering a book talk, Bohannan discussing Hamlet in the bush, and more. Even for those who would dispute much of what Bayard is trying to do, must admit, it is an entertaining book to read.

For me, it is my understanding, that a changing relationship with books and reading is a necessary part of doctoral studies. To be a student in this way, will lead to being in the position that Pierre Bayard describes, where one is asked to have educated opinions about a vast array of books, articles and written material. It is clearly much more than any one person can take in or read fully. This is the point that is made in the very first chapter, when the character Musil visits a great library looking for a particular idea. What he learns, and what Bayard wants us to learn, is that no one can read everything. And this is true.

But at the same time, I do want to read some things. Books that are enjoyable, or important for my work, or that might lead me to new ways of thinking. Even as I develop a new relationship with books, and seek to “operationalize” them, as has been suggested, there is still something in me that loves to read a book cover to cover.

Surely, some of this desire to read in this way is vanity. To add the book to the list that I keep next to my bed of every book that I have finished reading (and to compare it to my wife’s list). Or, to see a book on someone else’s shelf and to proudly state that “I too” have read this book. Or, maybe it is what Bayard lifts up about “not being ashamed”, and how the circles that I move in hold reading as a high value, and how they also see “not reading” as a kind of character flaw.

But at the same time, I want my “inner library”[2] to continue to grow, and to let the work that I do be based on more than a cursory glance at a book. But still, there is much for me to learn from this book. There is freedom in learning a new approach to books and reading, and there is also the self-examination that leads me to say, “maybe he is right about some of this!”

In the end, I will take Pierre Bayard’s encouragement to heart. He says, “As long as you have the courage, therefore, there is no reason not to say frankly that you haven’t read any particular book, nor to abstain from expressing your thoughts about it.”[3] For me, I will always be a reader, and a person who highly values reading (in the sense of “reading the book cover to cover”). Maybe I am a “fundamentalist” in this respect, but at least I hope to be a self-critical one.

The impact of this book for me, is to give me a new approach to thinking about reading, some literary examples to point to, and some grace, for myself and others, that there may be more than one way to really read a book. And grace is what all fundamentalists (myself included) seem to need most in the end.

[1] Pierre Bayard, How To Talk About Books You Haven’t Read, (Bloomsbury: New York), xx (preface)

[2] Pierre Bayard, How to Talk About Books You haven’t Read, 102

[3] Pierre Bayard, How To Talk About Books You Haven’t Read, 131

Dave Watermulder

6 responses to “Keep reading…”

Hi Dave,
    You did a great job of flushing out Bayard’s intentions in this book. One of the statements you made – “there are a myriad of ways to faithfully and authentically talk about books that you have not, in fact, read” resonates with me. Bayard does a great job of affirming the person who has knowledge of the general content of the book, and is willing to talk about this book “creatively”. It certainly changes the traditional method of reading and discussing most students have learned and applied over the years. It makes me excited to try this new method and be set free from guilt and embarrassment if I haven’t truly read. You should post a picture of your living room library! It won’t be long until personal libraries are non-existent.

Dave great job. You’re right that no one can read everything. It can be depressing to think about how many books are being published every year. But, as you point out, Bayard really takes this would be depressing thought and encourages the reader to be ok without reading as much as they think they ought to read. I too love to read. I hardly read fiction, but I love to read for the accumulation of raw knowledge which I can combine together to help solve real-world ministry problems.

I love your ending quote from Bayard reminding us that with courage we can say we haven’t read a book, as well as talk about those some books intellectually.

Dave ,Good discussion on being a reader and not devaluing books as a “non-reader”. I like that you felt that need as a reader to defend Bayard as no anti-book but rather an encourager of book engagement and discussion. I think we all see ourselves in Musil’s library wanting knowledge and knowing there wasn’t enough time to read all the books in there. I too am challenged to find those books that I want to read cover to cover and those that I need and see as a reference or a resource. Good thoughts Dave.

4. Dave,

I’m like you – I love reading and my first task on visiting a new friend is to examine their bookshelves!

Your positioning is one I also would support – that our inner library should continue to grow. To me this indicates a posture toward constant learning, a hunger for growth, a dissatisfaction with the status quo, and delight at exploring new, fresh ideas. It is also a humble posture that recognizes our insufficiencies and inability to fully know. Our condition and hope: “Now we see through a glass darkly, but one day we will see him face-to-face.” One day we will remember all that we read. 🙂

Dave
    You did a great job in summarizing Bayard’s intentions. Not to do away with reading but to understand there are different levels that, at times we must use, especially in our Doctoral work. I think it would be impossible to read every book assigned as well as everything necessary for our thesis. To be able to put his book into action will be of utmost importance in the coming years.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your ending on GRACE–God’s riches at Christ’s Expense. (from H.B London at Focus on the Family in PASTOR TO PASTOR MINISTRY). It truly is what I need most!

And I appreciated your thoughts on the “inner library” that we are building. This was a new concept for me, but it resonates well.

Let’s keep building our inner libraries together as the elite8LGP cohort!