K.T. and Judy

Written by: on June 7, 2018

In September of 1988, when I was 17 years old, I travelled to Hong Kong with my parents. My father was in charge of the Asian market for a high-tech company based in Oregon, and having made several trips across the Pacific, he had fallen in love with the city and was eager to share it with me.

It was my first trip overseas, and I remember feeling overwhelmed by the smells and sights as we exited the airport, dizzy with jetlag. My dad had arrived a week ahead of us for work-purposes, so my mom, who had already been to Hong Kong a few times before, skillfully hailed a taxi and got us to the hotel.

Everything felt foreign. Driving on the left side of the road. Eating with chopsticks. Cantonese lettering on billboards. The smell of the sea mingled with pollution. The view of rising green mountains mingled with concrete high rises.

The shopping was out of this world! Eel-skin wallets, tailor-made suits, silk ties, and knock-off watches and Gucci bags abounded. I bought a Hong Kong Hard Rock Café T-shirt (a must-have souvenir in the 80s) and a leather jacket. My dad had two suits made, each with an extra set of pants. His name was embroidered on the inside pocket of each blazer to prevent getting lost at the dry-cleaner. My mom was thrilled with her new Fendi purse.

Through his many trips to Hong Kong, my dad made friends with some business associates, all of whom took Western names for their dealings with Americans. One of his closest friends was a man who had taken the name Keith Thomas, but went by K.T. for short, which was funny to me, because it sounded like his name was “Katie,” a girl’s name. K.T.’s wife took the name Judy, and over the years this couple became a part of our extended family. In fact, K.T. and Judy’s first son is named after my father. This is because my dad was not just a business colleague to K.T. and Judy, he was the man who introduced them to Jesus Christ and discipled them from afar.

As the time drew near for Hong Kong to be returned to China, K.T and Judy (and many like them) made the very hard decision to emigrate to another country. They feared that the freedoms to which they had grown accustomed under British rule might be stripped away once the PRC was calling the shots. K.T. and Judy and their three sons now live in Australia, having immigrated in 1995.

Steve Tsang’s Modern History of Hong Kong offers an amazing survey of a unique city. The socio-political profile and history of Hong Kong is unlike that of any other city in the world, having been a British colony that was peacefully “surrendered” at the pre-arranged time. In his conclusion, Tsang describes the powerful impact that Christopher Patten had as the last colonial governor of Hong Kong, explained that even though he himself was not an elected official, he legislated as if he were running a democracy. He made huge reforms, but unfortunately those reforms did not survive once the PRC took over. Tsang writes, “Although the dismantling of much of Patten’s reforms in 1997 set Hong Kong back in its democratic development, it did not destroy the local people’s faith in democracy.”[1] Though the official policy is “one country, two systems,” the PRC still has the final call on how Hong Kong will be governed.

But back in the nineties, when Patten was making strides towards democracy within the colony of Hong Kong, K.T. and Judy were having to discern whether or not they believed those strides would be sustained once China was in control. And though it was painful for them to leave their home country and family behind, they sincerely feared that their ability to live freely as followers of Christ would be drastically challenged under the PRC, and they chose, instead, to move. Were they appropriately pessimistic?

According to information found on the US State department website, “The Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), as well as other laws and policies, states residents have freedom of conscience; freedom of religious belief; and freedom to preach, conduct, and participate in religious activities in public.”[2] In fact, Christians in Hong Kong seem to be using their religious freedom to advocate for their oppressed brothers and sisters on the mainland. “According to Christian Daily, in April more than 50 Christians marched to the Hong Kong-based Central Government Liaison Office to protest the Central Government’s treatment of Christian groups on the Mainland.”[3]

At the same time, the possibility of religious restriction being imposed on Hong Kong by the PRC is an ongoing concern. Some Christians believe that “PRC religious affairs regulations could have a negative effect on Hong Kong’s religious freedom.”[4] But from all reports I can find online, it seems that though tenuous, religious freedom is still enjoyed in Hong Kong.

Interestingly, Patten himself has written a review of Tsang’s book. Patten’s surprisingly optimistic conclusion, 20 years later, is this:

What is true, however, is that Hong Kong represents an idea in harmony with Confucian tradition and modern demands–an idea of how Chinese men and women can govern themselves, bringing together benevolent authority and representative participation. This is an idea whose time will come in China, as surely as the sun rises each morning over the Great Wall that girdles the country on whose success so much of our future depends.[5]

What catches my attention is the tension between “benevolent authority and representative participation.”  I’m again reminded of Chan’s understanding of ressourcement and aggiornamento.”[6] Ressourcement might also be understood as the “benevolent authority” of the past—or of orthodoxy—held in tension with aggiornamento, which corresponds here with “representative participation.” Patten sees this as the future of Hong Kong. I’m not sure from whence his optimism springs, but it seems to spring from his faith in the people of Hog Kong to be patient and peaceful reformers.

I wonder how many Christians emigrated from Hong Kong and how many stayed behind in hopes of being part of a patient and peaceful reformation.

[1] Steve Yui-Sang Tsang, A Modern History of Hong Kong (London: Tauris, 2007). 268.

[2] “China (Includes Tibet, Hong Kong, and Macau) – Hong Kong,” U.S. Department of State, accessed June 7, 2018, http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2016/eap/268726.htm.

[3] “China (Includes Tibet, Hong Kong, and Macau) – Hong Kong.”

[4] “China (Includes Tibet, Hong Kong, and Macau) – Hong Kong.”

[5] Christopher Patten, “Eastern Promise,” New Statesman, May 3, 2004.

[6] Simon Chan, Grassroots Asian Theology: Thinking the Faith from the Ground Up (Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2014). 7.

Jennifer Williamson

Jenn Williamson is a wife and mother of two adult sons. Before moving to France in 2010, she was the women's pastor at Life Center Foursquare Church in Spokane, WA. As a missionary with Greater Europe Mission, she is involved in church planting and mentoring emerging leaders. Jenn benefitted from French mentors during her transition to the field, and recognizes that cross-cultural ministry success depends on being well integrated into the host culture. Academic research into missionary sustainability and cultural adaptation confirmed her own experience and gave her the vision to create Elan, an organization aimed at helping missionaries transition to the field in France through the participation of French partners.

14 responses to “K.T. and Judy”

1. Mark Petersen says:

Jenn,

Loved this. Thank you.

I love how you captured the yin-yang of Chinese culture with “benevolent authority and representative participation”. As Western democracy synthesizes with Eastern culture, this is what we get.

• Jennifer Williamson says:

The only benevolent authority is Jesus Christ. The phrase stands out big time! And I’m not sure HK ever reached true democracy.

Wow what a cool experience from when you were a teenager. I wonder how different it will feel to you now. I hope the fate of the HK people will be adjusted by the revival happening in China.

Jennifer,
    Thanks for sharing your family story and introduction and travel adventures to HK missions. PTL! (and the shopping too!)
    It is hard to answer the question on K.T. if they were “appropriately pessimistic” or not. But, diaspora moments have a long history with the Holy Spirit, and I must believe He chose to move and plant them in Australia for their good and His glory. Have you visited them down under?
    Excellent post and reflection. See you in HK!
    立场坚定

• Jennifer Williamson says:

We have not visited them. The came to the States from HK in 1992 to come to my wedding, and then just two years ago visited my parents in Vancouver, WA, with his namesake. It was a lovely reunion.

Hi Jenn,

Wowza, you nailed it! I was riveted to your writings the whole Blog. In a way, this upcoming Advance will be a trip down memory lane for you. I hope you continue sharing of your experiences and friendships connected to this culture and city. I hope K.T. and Judy are still running the race for Jesus, and have told others in Australia.

Will you be able to recognize any of the places we plan on visiting?

• Jennifer Williamson says:

I wonder how much I will recognize. It was long ago, and I was overwhelmed. But the beauty of the whole experience stays with me, and I am thrilled to be going back.

5. That was great being able to hear about your first experience in Hong Kong and it was so cool that your dad brought KT and his wife to the Lord. It is also sad that people like that had to make the difficult decision to leave due to the fear of China’s rule. I also appreciate your discussion of “benevolent authority”. Great post as always and we sure had a fun time hangin’ with you and your hubby.

• Jennifer Williamson says:

We had so much fun hanging with you and Jenn!

Yes, and I am excited to go back to HK. I’m sure much has changed, but I really did love that city.

Hi Jenn!
    Great story and your return to HK will feel like “coming home”. My guess is your friends who immigrated are pleased with their decision? While the Chinese made a lot of promises, they sure are breaking commitments. What HK does need is activism and missionaries :). Have you ever considered an Asian ministry?

• Jennifer Williamson says:

You know, I have always had such a love for and fascination with the asian culture, so I always thought that if God did ever call me to be a missionary it would be to the East. So I’d be open. But my hubby says he’s not learning another language, so I think we’ll stay in France.

7. david says:

Hi Jenn,
    Thanks for this post and for the personal story behind it! I really enjoyed hearing about your early experiences there, as well as your family connections with Hong Kong. You used the “device” of focusing on KT and Judy to great effect. Seeing Hong Kong through their eyes, and the struggle that they had about whether to stay or go, which was a representative for the many others who shared that same dilemma. Looking forward to being there with you this time around!

8. VegasPaito yang biasanya disebut dengan paito warna ini sangat bermanfaat bagi para pemain togel maniac di karenakan vegaspaito ini merupakan rumus bagi sang pemain.fungsi rumus tersebut dapat menghasilkan atau memprediksikan angka yang akan keluar.

http://vegaspaito.com/