Just Like Joseph/ Reflection on The Great Transformation

Polanyi’s summary

In my education, I have not taken a course in economics, so I found Polanyi’s The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time to be arduous reading. It wasn’t until the twenty-first chapter on ‘Freedom in a Complex Society,’ Polanyi’s final words in his historical account, when my mind began to jolt. I think I have read page 268 twenty-five times. Is Polanyi saying what I think he is saying? Polanyi asserts that we are in a post Christian world where society is in need of finding freedom in resigning to organizing itself to a fascist ideology. In this blog I will give an account of Polanyi’s views and counter them with lessons found in the Old Testament. Taking the Old Testament examples, I will apply this learning to the modern-day example of a teenager who is a leader in the making for our times.

I would like you to join me in reading Polanyi’s words on page 268. I am curious if you will do a “double take” like I did as you consider the impact of his words:

The fascist answer to the recognition of the reality of society is the rejection of the postulate of freedom. The Christian discovery of the uniqueness of the individual and of the oneness of mankind is negated by fascism. Here lies the root of the degenerative bent. Robert Owen was the first to recognize that the Gospels ignored the reality of society.  He called this the “individualization” of man on part of Christianity and appeared to believe that only in a cooperative commonwealth could “all that is truly valuable in Christianity” cease to be separated from man. Owen recognized that the freedom we gained through Jesus was inapplicable to a complex society. His socialism was the upholding of man’s claim to freedom in such a society. The post Christian era of Western civilization had begun, in which the Gospels did not suffice, and yet remained the basis of our civilization. [1]  

Who is at the Helm?

How does Polanyi assert that society can not benefit from the Gospel; only the individual might find reward within Scriptures? I have always assumed that society is a beneficiary of what is spelled out in Scripture in addition to the individual. Polanyi quotes Robert Owen who surmises that society will only find freedom outside of the Gospels. I would assert that the Gospel message is reflected in what is learned in the Old Testament, and there we will find examples that are pedagogical for modern society. It is through individuals that God chooses to work for His purposes to be accomplished in society. The ultimate example we have is found in Isaiah 9:6, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Jesus is the individual who God works through in these verses, “of the greatness of His government and peace there will be no end.” Isaiah 9:7 Jesus will ultimately reign over all of society.

Joseph-the Exemplar

In addition to Jesus (whose life is chronicled in the New Testament), who came to save all of society, we have the example of Joseph who once was a ruler in Egypt. Joseph was the first exemplar I considered when thinking of how a society was impacted and recorded in Scripture, providing a template for us all. Joseph’s story is a familiar one, but it is important to consider what took place in his life prior to Pharoah stating, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” (Genesis 41:41) Prior to interpreting the dream for the king, Joseph interpreted dreams for the cupbearer and the chief baker who were in prison with him. Genesis 40:8 “Joseph said to them. ‘Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell me your dreams.’ Knowing God and knowing the gifts God gave him, Joseph takes initiative.  Daniel Goleman, in his book Focus, describes a leader like Joseph:

Leaders who inspire can articulate shared values that resonate with and motivate the group. These are the leaders people love to work with, who surface the vision that moves everyone. But to speak from heart to the heart, a leader must first know (his) values. That takes self-awareness. [2]

Before a society is changed, a single person often is found rising to take leadership. God had placed Joseph in Egypt in order for this ancient civilization to be saved. Joseph told his brothers: “Do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you.” (Genesis 43:4) The good news of provision came to Joseph’s brothers. This Biblical account of Joseph is reflected in D.W. Bebbington’s work Evangelicalism in Modern Britain where he states: “Cultural diffusion within Evangelicalism was normally a matter of the percolation of ideas down the societal scale. Ideas would often reach a congregation first through the minister.” [3] Whether it be by an appointed ruler of Egypt or a minister of the Gospel in Britain, ideas and values are handed down to a society.

My son

I think Vincent Miller does a fantastic job in describing our society and can be summed up as the following:

People no longer hunger for salvation or an era of justice, but for the “feeling, the momentary illusion, of personal wellbeing, health, and psychic security.” He attributes the genesis of this sensibility to the bureaucratic complexities of modern existence, which erode people’s “everyday competence.” The resulting dependence is manifested psychologically as narcissism, where a grandiose, narcissistic, infantile, empty self” depends on others to validate its existence.  Morality is replaced with a shallow ideal of psychic equilibrium. [4]

What is needed in this tide of “shallow ideal of psychic equilibrium?” Some hope is glimmering in my own home as the Gospel is getting hold of my son. My son is seventeen and the lead hitter on his Varsity baseball team at Lincoln High, but I don’t believe my son would say that his ability to play baseball is what makes him who he is. He would say that it is his relationship with Jesus Christ that defines him. His life is marked by wanting to obey God in several areas: 1) Kyle has taken off all social media from his phone and has committed to having relationships that transcend the use of his phone. 2) Kyle has deemed young females a “distraction” and intends on waiting to pursue a romantic relationship when he is older. 3) Kyle has committed to communicating with his peers in a loving way, not using the standard jocularity found in a locker room. 4) Kyle hosts a study on Apologetics, knowing that this knowledge will serve him well as he engages with a secular environment. 5) Kyle maintains that his parents are some of his best guides and mentors in his life and seeks their counsel. In his schedule, he regularly reads his Bible and goes to church as well. It is my hope that my son will lead in his generation, due to the individual that he is. Molded by the Gospel, he, too, will impact society. It is my prayer that he will be just like Joseph.

[1] Karl Polanyi, The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time, 1957, p.268

[2] Daniel Goleman, Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence, 2013, p.225

[3] D.W. Bebbington, Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730’s to the 1980’s, 1989, p.274

[4] Vincent Miller, Consuming Religion: Christian Faith and Practice in a Consumer Culture, 2008, p.85

Kristy Newport

7 responses to “Just Like Joseph/ Reflection on The Great Transformation”

1. Kristy,

I enjoyed your blog, you are very good writer, I am happy to hear about your son. Economics is a difficult subject as I believe where God leads, He also provides. When finances are unstable He definitely has my attention.

I also agree that when God wants change, he plants a man (Joseph) and that man stewards that change.

Bless you.

2. Kristy – Interesting take on using Biblical examples to illustrate the concepts! Reading your blog made me think about the concept of ubuntu that we learned about in South Africa — I am because we are. I was so struck by their focus on community being the most important (so much so that the “self” is only recognized within that community structure). How do you see the concept of ubuntu fitting in with your analysis of Christianity vs. Polanyi?

• Kristy Newport says:

Laura,
      Thank you for reading my blog.
      In an attempt to learn more about ubuntu, I went to the Boston Celtics web page. This basketball organization wants to embody ubuntu.
      https://www.bostoncelticshistory.com/item/ubuntu-i-am-because-we-are/

Thinking about the Celtics, I have one flashing thought and that is the name and image of Larry Bird. I am not a big basketball fan much less a Celtics fan but it is interesting that this is my one image of the Celtics. This one man.

I believe ubuntu is a great concept to apply to Christians. Working as a team is important. I think of the body of Christ and how all the parts must work together. When considering the Body of Christ, it is best to see the Body of Christ in relationship with Jesus. I hope others see Jesus when they see the Body working as a unit.
      These are my initial thoughts in response to your question.

Thank you Kristy for such an insightful post. I was struck by this line from Polanyi, “The post Christian era of Western civilization had begun, in which the Gospels did not suffice, and yet remained the basis of our civilization.” Wow. “Gospels did not suffice.” Those words should be humbling to the Church. It is not the Gospels which do not suffice, but our living out of the Gospels. I love your example of how Joseph lived out his calling and his faith in God. I love how you have shared about your son and how he is living out his faith. I look forward to seeing what God will do in and through him in the years to come. I wonder how the “He Gets Us” campaign will help in reminding the Church how to be the hands and feet of Jesus? I wonder what we can learn from these words of Polanyi. Will we continue to be complacent and allow the Church to recede or will we take a stand and be the change the world needs?

Kristy, Thanks for your post! I so loved hearing about your son Kyle and the choices he is making at this point in his life. He sounds like a strong individual, committed to God and committed to others, living out his unique calling in his part of the world. Thank you for sharing.

How is the Gospel influencing today’s society and how can it lead to individuals such as your son that are impacting society as Joseph did in the Bible?

Alana,
    Look at you in Shallowater, TX! The Gospel has impacted you and you are reaching out to your community!! I pray for Fred’s, may the Lord accomplish all that He would want through that place/and those who work there and walk through those doors!
    I pray that God will raise up young people in our children’s generations who will serve God like Joseph. I pray that God’s hand will be on each of your children and my children. May God choose them like Joseph. Gen 39:23 Because the Lord was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.