Joy Can Help With Brain Drain

My parents got divorced when I was young, so I never really knew my Father. That is until he came to stay with us for about a month when I was eleven. I was so happy to see him arrive and even happier to see him leave. He was not what I was expecting. He was authoritative and intense. He immediately started disciplining me like he did new military recruits when he was a drill sergeant in the Army. One punishment was called the “brain drain”. You put your hands behind your back, lean your head on the tile floor, and stay there until you’re allowed to get up. Weirdly, I couldn’t help but think about this while reading David Rock’s book.

Although this is a VERY different scenario, David Rock’s book, Your Brain at Work, is aimed to help people manage their “brain drain” and energy levels. According to Rock, the brain only has so much energy so it’s important to manage it well by knowing yourself and knowing what drains it the most. As he says, “It’s helpful to become aware of your own mental energy needs and schedule accordingly.”[1] Making decisions, deeper thinking (System 2), switching tasks, inhibiting choices, problem solving, constantly checking messages, and new concepts can diminish our energy levels and even lower IQ.[2]

One of the standouts, and reoccurring themes in some readings over the years is how joy and playfulness can energize us, help our creativity, and grow our leadership.[3] “Increasing happiness increases the likelihood of insight, while increasing anxiety decreases the likelihood of insight.”[4] This connects to what Edwin Friedman says in Failure of Nerve, “Chronically anxious families (including institutions and whole societies) tend to mimic the reptilian response: Lacking the capacity to be playful, their perspective is narrow.”[5] Seems obvious, which is how insights work according to Rock, but the degree of joy and playfulness we carry likely reflects how much creativity is in our lives and if we are living from a place of self-differentiation or anxiety.

Of course, we all have different personality types so I don’t think we should all strive to be chuckles the clown. We also hit low patches and should “mourn with those who mourn” (Romans 12:15), but I am realizing more and more that joy and living playfully are important qualities for leaders to have. When it comes to our beingand the presence we carry, Paul lists the second fruit of the Spirit as JOY. Go figure!

On a practical level, when I find joy in what I do or shift my mindset to “I get to do this” instead of uhhh “I have to do this”, I notice a huge difference in my energy levels, curiosity, playfulness, and happiness while doing it. David says this helps reinterpret the event and repositions our perspective. Although Rock says reappraisal does spend more energy, it is worth the cost. He also says it gets easier over time. “Optimists may be people who have embedded an automatic positive reappraisal to life’s knocks.”[6] He also says humor is a form of reappraisal, and a cheap one at that.

This was one of the qualities I noticed and admired in Desmond Tutu while at his exhibit in Cape Town, South Africa. He dealt with and fought against major social issues that broke his heart and led him to tears. However, for those who knew him, they said he was a jokester. Seeing the art piece of him swinging from the chandeliers was not what I expected when I first walked into the exhibit, but it gave me a quick idea that he did not fit my “Bishop” expectations. He took his devotion to God, love for people and injustice seriously, but he did not take himself or life too seriously and those around him admired him for it. When I think about being a non-anxious presence, peace usually comes to mind, but I don’t think joy should be to far behind.

Ways to Avoid Brain Drain Through Joy

-Relax, don’t take myself too seriously

-Let my inner child out more. Play, explore, be curious, let go of what others think.

-Quickly reappraise events and situations as opportunities to learn, grow, connect, have adventures, etc.

-Delegate and spend more time doing what I love.

[1] David Rock, “Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long” (New York, NY: Harper Business, 2009), 15.

[2] Kahneman, Daniel, Thinking, Fast and Slow, (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013).

[3] Rath, Tom, and Donald O. Clifton. How Full Is Your Bucket? Positive Strategies for Work and Life. (New York: Gallup Press, 2004).

[5] Edwin H. Freidman, Margaret M. Treadwell, and Edward W. Beal, A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix, (10th anniversary revised edition. New York: Church Publishing, 2017), 55.

[6] Rock, Your Brain at Work,  92.

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

20 responses to “Joy Can Help With Brain Drain”

I love that you focused on joy; that’s a theme that I didn’t notice in Rock’s book, so thank you for bringing that out. Every year our church picks a theme to focus on throughout the year. This year our theme has been “Joy in the desert,” so as you can imagine I’ve been thinking a lot about joy.

My question for you is a practical one. Do you have any tips or tricks for flipping the switch from “I have to do this” to “I get to do this”, like you mentioned? In other words, how do you engage in the discipline of joy and playfulness (or is it even wrong to juxtapose those two ideas – discipline and play?).

Thanks for the response Kim! Oh nice, love the idea of “Joy in the desert”.

Curiosity and wonder are “buzz” words right not, but they really have been a game changer for me in a lot of areas. When I reappraise ministry, meetings, research, reading, writing, etc. to “I wonder what I will discover today or this week?”, “I wonder what their story is?”, “I wonder what we could create?” It has made all the difference for me throughout the years in transcending discipline to passion. I dual teach with our senior pastor every week, and have noticed that when I start with, “I get to study this subject this week, wonder what new insight, theme, or revelation I’ll find?” It keeps me way more motivated and energized. Not to say there is no discipline involved.

Honestly, I had a difficult time writing this post due to exhaustion and low mental energy, but by the time I was done I felt energized. I think I was writing to myself and giving myself a reminder! Thanks for the questions!

Joy, Joy, Joy down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart….

I enjoyed (no pun intended) your post. I was listening to the men with children in my bible study talk about their spring break recreation activities. So much fun!

Having all my children at age 22, my fun activities have diminished. I told my wife…we don’t recreate very well. Now that the kids are gone, I have my zen moments in the Garden. Although it was 18 degrees two days ago it will be 60-80s in the next couple of days. My joy now comes from watching my bulbs (tulips, grape hyacinths, and daffodils) begin to emerge from the ground – wow how boring.

You have forced me to look at Joy and how it might overturn the fear the public has in regards to immigration. Jenny Dooley was looking at the contrast of fear and rewards. Somewhere there is an answer there is shifting public mentality in regards to immigration. I think you both have planted a seed of an idea….Shalom..Russ

• Adam Harris says:

Having two young kids, those moments of Zen do not sound too bad. There is usually a lot of background noise here! I’m sure I will miss it one day though.

I love that Jenny and my posts has helped you in some way “reappraise” your approach to immigration. Lightheartedness, positivity, and humor seems to help soften tense subjects and gain more reception. Focusing on what we are gaining rather than losing addressing an issue has helped me in my NPO.

I got to say man, I really appreciate and respect your openness to learn and your passion for immigration. Glad to have you in the cohort. You are an inspiration to me.

OK. Right out of the gate: Adam, I’m sorry about your father – what a bummer. I’ve got four grown kids and I often wonder if I’ve messed them up in some way – the answer I sense in my heart from the Lord is: “Sure you did, but that’s what my grace is for!” So…grace to you!

I read your post with great “joy” because my NPO intersects closely with your observations. I’m probably gonna just copy/paste your post into my Expertise paper, and may or may not give you credit! Ha! (kidding…seriously, Jason…I’m kidding).

I too was struck by Desmond Tutu – as a matter of fact, my NPO was in such deep flux while in Cape Town, and I found it solidify while at his headquarters – honestly, I locked it into the question why “foursquare lead pastors are experiencing diminishing (or having trouble sustaining) joy in their ministry calling and assignments.

Thanks for great post. It spurs lots of thoughts for me! Now, back to my Topic Expertise paper!

• Adam Harris says:

Ha! That’s hilarious, what an honor that would be! I’m glad it was a helpful posts for your NPO. I think I was preaching to myself. I was feeling major “brain drain” at the time while I was writing it after a heavy week.

Finding joy in the midst of hard things is what inspires me so much in people like Tutu. I think those qualities highlight the spiritual benefits of following Christ for the world to see. Love the work you are doing and you are a guy that embodies joy and playfulness. You are the right guy for the job.

As far as my Dad, I appreciate that. Our relationship, or lack of it, was part of my journey. Nothing but love and grace for him, especially after finding out his background over the years. Thanks for your response man!

Hi Adam,
    Thank you for highlighting joy! A really good examen question I like to ask myself, but often forget to is, “Where did I find joy today?” Some times I wonder if I am even looking for it and just mindlessly waiting for it to show up and catch me by surprise. You have me thinking that it is a gift that I can receive every day. I wonder how much of my day I am on the look out for fear and how much of my day I am anticipating joy? I am not minimizing fear. There are certainly things to be afraid of and I am saddened for any fear you felt as a child. Thank you for the reminder to look for joy. Where have you noticed joy today?

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for your response Jenny, great questions. Currently I am enjoying a lighter schedule, enjoying my family, enjoying searching and exploring unique answers to an issue through my NPO, enjoying my health, enjoying a vocation that I love, and enjoying learning from my peer group!

6. Scott Dickie says:

Great post Adam….in particular I appreciate your summary statements at the end. I have often found it beneficial to remind myself that what I do matters to some people….and it’s important I do it….but it’s not THAT important (my version of not taking myself too seriously). Perhaps I say it that way because, when working in a church, where your family also worships and your friends/community are, ‘work’ can start to be an all-consuming thing/bubble. One reason I decided to jump into school at this point is to ‘get out of the bubble’ and expand my world…which often leads to further joy. At times the pressure of assignments and due dates don’t feel particularly joyful…so I appreciate your reminders!

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Scott, glad you jumped into this program when you did! Love our cohort. This posts was firstly a reminder for me after a heavy week of ministry and wading through my NPO content! God was speaking to me big time through that portion of the book. We get the privilege and oppurtunity to do the things we are doing.

I agree, I believe what we are doing is very important, but the world will continue to spin if we didn’t do it. It’s a humbling thought, but I’ve been reminded of it through ministry and through my NPO. It’s crazy that not everyone is as excited about what I am! Or does not think my NPO is the most pressing thing on earth like I do sometimes. lol Thanks for the response!

Great post Adam. Thanks for the lens you put on this week’s reading. The thought that jumped off the page for me was:

“the degree of joy and playfulness we carry likely reflects how much creativity is in our lives and if we are living from a place of self-differentiation or anxiety.”

There is a lot to think about there, but I have taken it as a challenge: Where can I seek out more creativity in my lives and in the lives of those I influence?

I am facilitating 3 large meetings in the next 2 weeks with newly-formed teams of over-extended leaders. (what could possibly go wrong?!?!) I am inspired to think about how much more productive and effective will our time be if we can have some playfulness and joy infused. This will be a focus for me as I continue my planning. Thanks!

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the reply Jennifer and good luck with your meetings! Anytime I can “infuse”, love the word you used, some kind of playfulness, fun, or humor into whatever I’m doing it actually gets me more excited for the event and is more enjoyable for everyone involved. Praying joy, learning, and connection for you all these next 2 weeks!

8. Cathy Glei says:

To start. . . thank you for sharing about your dad. You shared bits of your backstage. Thank you!

I was also intrigued by Desmund Tutu’s playfulness. It was evident in the picture you shared and also the pictures of Desmund and Leah throughout their ministry journey together.

You mentioned that you experience joy in your workplace when you make a mental shift. What does the process of this mental shift look like?

Thanks for sharing your “Brain Drain”.

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the reply Cathy, a few mental shifts that make the most difference for me is “I get to do this” vs “I need to or have to do this”. Another mental shift is “I wonder what new thing I will learn or experience in this meeting, interaction, opportunity, or research.” It helps move my mentality from obligation or appreciate and excitement.
      Not saying I have mastered this, lol, but I can say I am growing in this shift more and more.

Adam, one of the things you mention is Rock’s challenge for people to understand their energy levels and regulate accordingly. I find as I get older, this is really important. I used to have unlimited energy, but I’m finding more and more that I have to conserve it and focus it on the most important things, and only those things I can (and should be) doing.

After reading your post, I want to add, “and mostly those things that I can find joy in”.

Calories are contextual; for 400 calories you can eat way more salad than you can cheesecake. Maybe energy is like that: You have a lot more you can engage if it’s joyful than if it’s not.

• Adam Harris says:

I appreciate the subtle call out that I am getting old! lol Seriously thought, very good advice and add on. Agreed. I have noticed that some things drain me (even more as I get older) while others fuel me and leave me energized. Looking to spend more time in the things that fuel me!

“One of the standouts, and reoccurring themes in some readings over the years is how joy and playfulness can energize us, help our creativity, and grow our leadership.”

When I think of the leaders who have made the most impact in my life I remember them as joyful people. This is something I want to take with me into leadership – whether it be at the church, at home, or in my friendship circles.

• Adam Harris says:

Agreed, positive attitudes and joy is something that creates such a vibe I want to be around. It gives permission to not take life too serious. Three of us just finished doing an 8 week Stephen Ministry training for our members and one of the things they said was how much they appreciated the jokes, fun, and humor throughout the training. I’m with you, got to have fun while leading!

Ways to Avoid Brain Drain Through Joy

-Relax, don’t take myself too seriously- how do you catch yourself or know when you are doing so? Do you have a “trigger” that helps you know? Like when I do or say this I am too serious?

-Let my inner child out more. Play, explore, be curious, let go of what others think. -What is your play look like? I think I have experienced it with you or watched you in Cape Town (and I plan to play in Oxford). As long as we catch the bus on time…right;)

-Quickly reappraise events and situations as opportunities to learn, grow, connect, have adventures, etc.- do you find yourself in a rut sometimes with the necessary tasks and if so how do you change it to an opportunity?

-Delegate and spend more time doing what I love.-What is the #1 thing you love to do?

I am so glad you are my friend!

Thanks for reading and replying Jana! Great questions, and glad were friends as well! Looking forward to catching up in Oxford and making more memories!

As far as your questions, for me it helps when I step back and ask myself is this really a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Have I lost the big picture? Lately I’ve really been thinking through “Am I working from an underlying framework of love or fear right now?”

Once again, just sharing what works for me (when I remember). When I am in a rut I have usually forgotten the “Why” behind the “What”. In other words, I may just be going through the motions without intentionally doing tasks with the initial vision or purpose in mind. If I am just doing stuff without a sense of purpose it leads to burnout for me.

Family: Vacations and traveling with family

Personal: Traveling, loud music, dancing, meeting new people, hearing their stories, trying to new things!

Vocation: I love researching, learning, and teaching. I would love to be doing this 80% of the time, but Pastors wear a lot of hats!

What about you?