It’s Not Like it Used To Be…

In 2022, our family took a long-awaited trip to Germany, the country where my father and mother grew up. As my uncle, now in his 80s, gave us a tour of Hameln, where my mother’s family originated from, we came across garbage lining the fencing of a well-traveled park which also was not kept up. My uncle shook his head and muttered, “It’s not like it used to be. Too many foreigners live here. They have ruined our cities.”  I did not need to ask any more questions. I knew what he meant since I knew he remembered a pristine Germany with immaculate yards and beautiful flower gardens. The German population, like most of Europe, has become much more diverse, and with it, a variety of understandings of how life should be lived.

This is the case globally. The blending of cultural lines has become the norm with an increased level of immigration and technological advances. Audrey Smedley in her article “‘Race’ and the Construction of Human Identity” states:

“Cultural features have traveled all over the world independently of the spread of genetic material. In the midst of the Sahara Desert, signs proclaim “Coca-Cola,” everyone from the Siberian tundra to the Melanesian Forests wears “jeans,” African clothing and designs are found from Paris to Sydney, Australia, and Americans eat more pizzas and tacos (burritos, tortillas, etc.) than almost any other people outside of Italy and Mexico. White boys wear dreadlocks, and Chinese and other Asian, and increasingly African, ethnic restaurants are found around the world… The concept of “universal” human beings might very well in time obviate racial categories (but not ethnic identities) and may help to bring about the elimination of all such designations.”[1]

Though my uncle may grieve the Germany he once knew, the world we live in is truly one that reflects a changing world. This brings many questions to mind. Is nationalism, even though we are diverse, necessarily negative or can it still unify people towards a common good? Is it necessarily racist of my uncle to desire life as it used to be in Germany?

This ambiguity had me interested to read what Kenan Malik in Not So Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics, would have to say.  The introduction made me realize that his experiences in life had shaped him in a way to be able to speak to the subject of racism from a different backdrop than I could ever understand. He speaks of being continually beaten up for the color of his skin. This is something many of my African American friends speak about.

In his endeavor to make sense of these societal issues of racism, Malik weaves four narratives together throughout the book. The first is the history of how the concept of race evolved which he turns on its head. He surmises that racism itself did not originate by one race thinking less of another, but rather it was the intellectuals and elites that categorized people so that some would be treated better than others socio-economically as well as skin color.[2]  Secondly, in the last few decades, there has been an upswing in resisting racism and colonialism with a slow move towards universalism.[3] Thirdly, Malik addresses the challenges of cross-racial solidarity and its challenges.[4] Lastly, Malik tackles the arena of identity politics with a critique of “contemporary leftwing identity politics, especially the understanding of “whiteness” and of “white privilege”, and of trends such as the calling out of cultural appropriation.”[5]

Malik makes the case that “human beings live neither in the “particular” nor the “universal.”[6] Rather, their identity should be rooted in a more universal understanding of what it means to be human which would give local identities greater expressions of empathy and solidarity.[7] I can see where this would be the ideal case. However, though we should strive for this, is this truly possible without Christ at the center? Human nature, left to its own devices, has a way of putting self before others.

One problem I did have with the reading was that, according to Malik, Christianity stood as an aid to support slavery through the years.[8] He quotes Diarmaid MacCulloch as saying “Christianity was not going to make a radical challenge to existing social distinctions.”[9]  If he would have said “Christians” I would have agreed but he refers to the Bible’s reference to the culture of the times and its lack of stronger a stance on the subject.

To this point, it is interesting to note, that the Museum of the Bible has an exhibit of a Slave Bible that was printed for missionaries to hand out in the British West Indies. The Slave Bible had “90 percent of the Old Testament… missing (and) 50 percent of the New Testament…missing.”[10] This was the work of men and women who truly did not see African slaves as deserving the same freedom that they had in Christ.  Any reference to freedom was deleted. This gives an understanding that much of the Bible speaks to freedom for all, not just some.

In closing, I do agree with my uncle. It is not like it used to be. On the other hand, maybe our diverse culture is a truer reflection of what the broader Kingdom of God looks like. There is no doubt racism is still alive and well and remains a wicked problem. However, there is much opportunity for us to make a difference right in our own backyards.

[1] Audrey Smedley, “‘Race’ and the Construction of Human Identity,” American Anthropologist 100, no. 3 (1998): 690–702, https://www.jstor.org/stable/682047. 700.

[2] Kenan Malik, Not So Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics (New York, NY: C. Hurst & Co., 2023). 4.

[3] Kenan Malik. 5.

[4] Kenan Malik. 5-6.

[5] Kenan Malik. 6.

[6] Kenan Malik. 292.

[7] Kenan Malik. 293

[8] Kenan Malik. 14.

[9] Kenan Malik. 14

[10] Michel Martin, “Slave Bible From The 1800s Omitted Key Passages That Could Incite Rebellion,” NPR, December 9, 2018, sec. Religion, https://www.npr.org/2018/12/09/674995075/slave-bible-from-the-1800s-omitted-key-passages-that-could-incite-rebellion.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

6 responses to “It’s Not Like it Used To Be…”

Hi Esther, I haven’t written my post yet as I am still trying to synthesize Malik in my head. Your synopsis of his four narratives was helpful in my process of trying to organize his writings. Thank you for that.

I’ve been thinking about universalism and transcendence as part of living into the Kingdom of God. You wrote, “However, though we should strive for this, is this truly possible without Christ at the center?” I’m wondering about this because, as you say, we should strive for it – but if it’s not possible – because of our broken world, then that feels hopeless to me and I want to give up. Is there a way that we live into the Kingdom and have good hope for the world? I’m not really sure what I’m asking – not articulating it well – so feel free to ignore me!

• Esther Edwards says:

Kally,
      Who could ever ignore you! You always bring great insight. To make you feel better, this was the hardest book for me to comprehend. I’m not sure if it is his writing style or if it was truly over my head. From what I gathered, he did not have an answer but explained the history of the problem well.

In answer to your question, it would seem hopeless without Christ. Even with all the mistakes Christians have made and many times did not reflect God’s principles, the church has many more times reached out when people were at their lowest and offered hope. When all the racial upheaval was in full swing in 2020, so many pastors I knew were in the streets, offering hope and reconciliation.

2. Cathy Glei says:

Esther,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. There IS much opportunity to make a difference right in our own backyards. Have you read Rosaria Butterfield’s book, The Secret Thoughts of An Unlikely Convert? I appreciate how she highlights the practice of hospitality as a means for making a difference in her life. How might the Church support believers in seizing those opportunities to make a difference in their neighborhoods?

• Esther Edwards says:

I have not read the book, but thank you for the recommendation.
      In answer to your question, making a difference in the neighborhood is not the easiest in our individualist society. Northern Va is especially infamous for everyone living separate lives. It has been the hardest thing to get to know our neighbors on a deeper level then just “hi” and “bye”. However, here are a few things we have done and encouraged our congregants to do:
      1. Be a friend. Mow someone else’s lawn if they are sick or bring homemade soup, etc.
      2. Be available to pray in crisis. It doesn’t matter what faith they are, when people are in crisis, they want God to help. This has given us so many open doors.
      3. Have a fun event. A few things we have encouraged our people to do is have a movie night in their backyard. We let them use the church’s large screen and projector. Families have had great success with this. We, ourselves, had over 20 children at ours and served popcorn and pizza. It was fun and built relationships. A game night is always fun too or a block party.
      4. Pray for your neighbors and look for Holy Spirit opportunities to get to know them.

These are a few things that have worked for us.

Hi Esther, I appreciate your final words as well, “…maybe our diverse culture is a truer reflection of what the broader Kingdom of God looks like.” The diversity within so many of the world’s nations is both a beautiful thing and an opportunity. I am not minimizing the challenges, but I have to believe that God is at work in the globalization of our world. If this is part of His plan, how should we as Christians respond. I hope with open arms and with great joy!

Jenny,
    We do have such an opportunity to be Christ in so many ways. You have certainly lived this all throughout your life. Have a wonderful time with your family this weekend!