Imagined Communities: Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all?

In 1982 I committed a mortal sin, according to my 11th grade history teacher. I elected not to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I was sorting through what it means to commit myself completely to Jesus and didn’t feel comfortable with the words of the Pledge. “It is a slap in the face of God! It is completely anti-Christ to do something so un-American!” Even then I knew there was something terribly wrong with this statement, I didn’t have the language to explain how I felt.

I love the United States of America. I love our freedoms and our variations on liberty. But I love this country like I love my siblings – with a clear view of its faults and a willingness to call her out on her stupidity. And like my siblings, I would die for her.

Benedict Anderson gives a fascinating exposition on the origins of nationalism, including how nations are really just imagined constructs. He states that the idea of a nation is imagined because members of any nation will most likely never meet, yet still share a unique bond (6). It is limited because even the largest nation has boundaries (7). It is sovereign because a nation answers to itself and no one else (7). Finally, it is a community because, no matter what horrific internal problems can be found in that nation, there is a deep sense of belonging for which many would die (7).

I get the impression from reading Anderson’s book that he is not in favor of nationalism but that there is a deep respect for the way in which nationalism has come about. By calling them “Imagined Communities” he is in no way declaring nations to be false constructs but instead points to the processes by which humanity has constructed nations and the deep-seated honor nations command of us. When spelled out as an imagined ideal, nationalism is somewhat hard to fathom. Why are we willing to risk our lives to kill people from other nations to protect people in our nation, while punishing and even killing those who break the rules of our nation? What is it about this deeply held nationalism that binds us together and makes us think “us vs. them?” Anderson explains how language and print-capitalism helped to form and spread the concept of nationalism, but he never really explains the WHY. What deep need is held by humanity that we pledge allegiance to a flag, a monarch, a land, or all of the above? And how, then, do we justify the rampant individualism in our own country that causes us not to want to care for the others who are part of our nation?

In his chapter on Patriotism and Racism, Anderson makes the point that nationalism has “roots in fear and hatred of the Other,” while simultaneously inspiring “often profoundly self-sacrificing love” (141). The sad thing is that he also explains that nationalism does not seem to curtail the hatred of the “Other” among us. We use language, art, and music to depict our love for country and, in the next speech or piece, spew bile over those who are viewed as “eternal contaminations, transmitted from the origin of time through an endless sequence of loathsome copulations” (149). Racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, anti-Muslim (or Buddhist, or Sikh, or Catholic, etc.), and anti-LGBTQI are a festering, rotten decay that threatens our country much more than any outside entity, yet we build our defenses and sing our anthems declaring that God sheds his grace on this nation, that we are the land of the free and the home of the brave, and we pledge to be a nation “under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” There is a serious cognitive disconnect there.

I can’t help but think back to 1982 when my young self was wondering how on earth I could pledge allegiance to a flag and a nation when I just wanted to serve the Realm of Christ. I have wandered through patriotism and national pride back to the place where I can’t bring myself to sing the Anthem or say the Pledge. I do not love my country any less, but I have fallen in love with Brazil, Italy, England, Canada, and Argentina as well. I have found community with people in those places and would lay down my life for them. When I pray “Your Kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” I don’t just think about earth as the USA, but as a mosaic of people groups straining toward eternity. I’m in no way recommending an international theocracy, or suggesting that we form a “Christian nation,” but wondering if it is time for Christians in every nation to pledge allegiance only to Christ and the restoration of the Realm of Creation. What do you think?

Kristin Hamilton

14 responses to “Imagined Communities: Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all?”

I agree totally, Kristin. I have found myself running and hiding somewhere rather than standing and covering my heart with my hand while the national anthem is sung. With all of our nation’s warmongering I am not sure how proud I am of being an “American” – really “United Statesian” since our neighbors to the south are also Americans. (Just another indication of our arrogance.) Anyway, I am sad that our country is seen like a bully on the playground by others.
    I agree with you that our Christian witness is more important and I too would gladly give my life for Jesus.

“And how, then, do we justify the rampant individualism in our own country that causes us not to want to care for the others who are part of our nation?”

This is something that I struggle with understanding. Let me give you an example from my recent trip to Taiwan. At the Jr. High we went to, they had a giant weight machine hooked up to a rope for and entire class to play “tug of war.” In the U.S., we have individual weight machines. You see, from childhood, some cultures emphasize community, and others individualism. But it is not all good. Most Asian public schools do not produce people who can solve abstract problems or innovate.

A friend who taught in Thailand was frustrated in that the smart kids would intentionally help the lower kids cheat so that everyone would make the same grade.

Yet, there is an upside to our radical individualism. I believe that it is a reason that so many cures to diseases and technological advances have come from the U.S.

• It’s true, Stu. I noticed with many of my international students from Asian countries that their honor/shame culture essentially encourages cheating so as to avoid failure. It is really hard to teach against that mentality. But those students also told me that there is still a sense of individualism there, as long as there is compliance to the culture and no loss of honor. The individualism happens in the way they push themselves to excel. I have never seen students who work so hard.

3. Hey Kristen,
    Good to hear your voice again. Sounds like we both had some profound, defining moments in our high school history class. Insightful post, thought-provoking, and a good summary of the book.
    To your ending question, I am such a loyal person, to a fault, that it’s hard for me to jump ship and start pledging allegiance to other countries. I’m also an eternal optimist and hopeful for beautiful endings and new beginnings. I would love to see our country restored on the principles it was formed on and new principles created so we can grow and mature as a country. It wouldn’t hurt us to have a bit humility as a nation to learn from the successes of other older, more mature nations. It saddens me to see us dim our greatness in our nation and in ourselves when we dim the light God has given us to change our world. I find comfort in the fact we are a part of God’s nation, and this earth, wherever you may live, is nothing compared to the ultimate “imagined community” awaiting us…..heaven.

• We did, indeed, have memorable teaching moments, didn’t we?
      I don’t think I am ready to jump ship either, Jen. I believe there are these issues or other just as significant issues in every nation. Nations are human made constructs. I love this country, but I can’t pledge myself to her or her flag, either. Doing so means I may have to place her above my allegiance to the Realm of Christ. I do think, however, that we have a responsibility to bring whatever nation in which we live closer to Kingdom principles. I think some of our nations founding principles came close to this but, at the base of it all, was a sense of entitlement that caused our founders to “build” our country on the backs of others, taking what wasn’t theirs, and twisting Scripture to suit their view of blessing and destiny. I think we are called to speak against the atrocities, support the great things, and move our communities closer to Kingdom principles.

4. Kristin thank you for your viewpoint of this reading. I especially love your reference to prayer. Praying for the people in other countries as well as America.
    Some of us Americans have been so captivated by the political arena this year (which is an interruption) that has kept us from seeing the confirmations of the political picks, the actions of congress and the senate, but most of all the hurts of God’s people.
    Some of the ministers have preached on hope based on the political arena. We as Christians must focus on all of God’s children around the world and not just in our own community.

• So true, Lynda. I am not sure how we can preach hope based on politics. I admit that I love President and Mrs. Obama and I voted for him, but I have been disappointed at times by his choices. He is only human and, while we can place our hope for better policy in him, we cannot rest our complete hope on a human governor. On the other side, we know that a bad leader can destroy a nation but that leader cannot eradicate our hope if it is based on loyalty to the Kingdom rather than to a nation.

5. “When I pray “Your Kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” I don’t just think about earth as the USA, but as a mosaic of people groups straining toward eternity.” Wow what a powerful statement! Unfortunately, so many Americans only can envision his Kingdom present in America. I believe this is partly due to the fact that they have not really experienced the world outside of the US. Secondly, because we have convinced ourselves that we live in the “only” blessed nation. So therefore God favors America and therefore the manifestation of his Kingdom on earth will come as a result of Americans being Christ to the world. My prayer is that God will give us eyes to see what He sees and a heart to feel how He feels for all of His creation. That is in my belief His will being done on earth. Great post Kristin!

• Thank you, Christal. I agree with you completely that we are rather isolationistic in the USA. For many people, the only other country they have visited is Canada (or Mexico). Going to other countries and immersing myself with the people there changed the way I think of God, the earth, and the Kingdom.
      I was raised hearing from teachers and preachers that America was some sort of new Israel, God’s chosen people. I didn’t really believe it, but my first trip to Brazil made it clear that God’s blessing is on all of God’s people in all the nations of the world, not just ours.

Kristin–
    I stopped saying the American Pledge of Allegiance slowly– as I spent time living in Kenya, as I realized my loyalty was foremost to God. The decisive moment came one Independence Day Sunday when our congregation sang patriotic songs and recited the Pledge during the worship service! Although I was on staff, I walked out of the service (to the displeasure of only one person… that I know of). Like you, I love this country but do not find my first identity in it. And like my desire for the Church, I want something more, something better for my country. I want to change my Pledge to our country to Emma Lazarus’ poem:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    “Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
    With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

7. I think those “Patriot” Sundays were the last straw for me as well, Katy. I will never forget my husband expressing his discomfort in leading patriotic songs during worship only to be told this was the church’s way of honoring the country God gave us, and the people who fought to protect it. Ugh.
    I have always loved Lazarus’ poem and wish school children recited it every day instead of the pledge. I wonder how that would change the way we look at the world as adults.

I enjoyed your post Kristin. As the only non-American in the group (although I am married to an American) there are elements of American patriotism that I really like and respect. I think it is important to feel a real allegiance and loyalty and sense of belonging to a country, particularly as a nation of immigrants, which is essentially what America was/is. The alternative can be a mish-mash of multiculturalism with no or little shared identity or sense of community.
    Like all good things, however, we have the ability to pervert the good. The down side of American patriotism has sometimes appeared to be arrogance and parochialism and a sense of entitlement.
    In balance, though, I think America brings so much good and positive to the world – I would rather you all have a sense of pride and belonging, rather than beating yourselves up over the failings of your nation.
    “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor (or president!). 1 Peter 2:17

• It’s a delicate balance for me, Geoff. I love my country and I do feel that camaraderie that Anderson talks about. When our athletes are performing in the Olympics, for example, I cry with them as the anthem is played while they stand atop the podium and feel the devastation when they are injured or don’t do well. I also feel the swell of pride when leaders of our country stand up against the tyranny against women in other countries. But the other side of that fine line is the chagrin I feel when we (like any other nation, I suppose) place the value of human life (in our country and in others) far below political power.
      I just can’t bring myself to feel that unquestioning patriotism that my parents seem to have. I don’t automatically assume that we are the greatest nation or that we are uniquely blessed. I don’t automatically assume that we hold Christian values just because our pledge includes “one nation under God.” Mostly, I don’t assume that everyone who questions or opposes what our leaders do is anti-American. Just as the prophets called out the sin and destruction that the leaders brought about, I think part of really loving this country is calling out those things that are killing her people.