I’ll Just Keep Telling Their Stories

I get the opportunity regularly to speak to different churches in my area about refugees and immigrants. Sometimes, it is a separate class or a small group that invites me to speak and they are eager to hear more information. Then, other times, it is a brief overview to the whole congregation and then I stand around the lobby and wait for questions. I would always prefer the small group setting, as they are usually a more friendly audience. Yet, I appreciate the larger congregation and my ability to call the church to love our immigrant neighbors from a biblical perspective.

Immigration can be a touchy topic and depending on the pastor and congregation it can be a downright confrontational topic. It shouldn’t be, but it is. Thankfully, front-stage Adam doesn’t usually mind ruffling a few feathers along the way if needed. In this week’s reading, Bobby Duffy writes about how the average person, in countries all over the world, perceive the world in a way that is often quite wrong from reality. He covers a variety of topics, but I am going to hone in on the immigration issue for two reasons. First, it is incredibly pertinent right now and a daily conversation in the news. Secondly, it is a field I work in and am passionate about.

Duffy writes, “Our delusions about immigration are systemic, not due solely to media or political misdirection on the one hand or our own wrong thinking on the other, but a result of these two groups of effects interacting.”[1] He continues about how perceptions about immigration are simply far from reality. Many people assume, based largely on fictional media narratives, that immigrants are violent and prone to incarceration. This is simply not true of most immigrants. Most immigrants want to build a better life for their families just like you and I and want to stay as far away from getting in trouble as possible. Duffy adds this is “largely driven by our own deep-seated tribal identities interacting with a media and politics that too often look to exploit this division.”[2]

I know many current statistics about refugees such as the current number of refugees worldwide (35 million),  and the current refugee ceiling determined by the President (125,000).[3] If I do not know the statistic right away, I know where to go for the information. Yet, just like Duffy, I am not convinced statistics influence people. [4] Instead, I am more convinced of the need to tell a story.

So, let me share about pastor William, a Dinka man from South Sudan, who fled his village when war suddenly came to it. He ran, along with all other boys from the village, and just kept on running. The women and girls in his village were either killed or raped. The men fought back, and many were also killed. But the young boys just kept running. Three months later, after traveling 1000 miles by foot, they arrived at the border of Ethiopia and claimed their refugee status. Pastor William shares about the need to sleep in the hot part of the day when the predators were also sleeping. He shares about his companions who simply stopped walking and fell dead beside him as he kept going on the journey. He claims it was only God who kept him alive when so many others died. He doesn’t know why God allowed him to live but wants to live for God as much as possible since he was kept alive for a reason. Pastor William was one of the “Lost Boys” who was resettled into America in the late 1990’s.

Bobby Duffy writes, “We’re storytelling animals who remember vivid anecdotes far more readily than boring statistics, and some stories are more attractive to the human brain than others.”[5] Now, without looking back up, how many refugees are there in the world today? How many refugees will be allowed into America this year? I would guess that the majority of you reading this can’t recall the numbers accurately. However, I would also guess that you will be able to recall many details about pastor William later tonight or tomorrow.

The book by Duffy is interesting and he connects frequently with Kahneman. Duffy also reminded me of Tim Harford and his book “How to Make the World Add up: Ten Rules for Thinking Differently about Numbers.” Harford addresses many of the similar concepts about statistics, and personal experience. Harford states, “Sometimes personal experience tells us one thing, the statistics tell us something quite different, and both are true.”[6] When all three authors (Kahneman, Harford and Duffy) are looked at collectively, they remind us to be cautious of statistics and how they are used. They also remind us of the need for personal narrative. Therefore, I do not go visit churches to share statistics. People won’t remember them anyways and some will find ways to argue against them. However, it is hard to argue with pastor William and his personal refugee journey. So, I’ll keep on telling the stories the American church needs to hear.

—————————————————————————

[1] Bobby Duffy, Why We’re Wrong about Nearly Everything: A Theory of Human Misunderstanding, First US edition. (New York: Basic Books, 2019), 96.

[2] Duffy, 115.

[3] “Refugees in America | USA for UNHCR,” accessed March 19, 2024, https://www.unrefugees.org/refugee-facts/usa/.

[4] Duffy, 18.

[5] Duffy, 58.

[6] Tim Harford, How to Make the World Add up: Ten Rules for Thinking Differently about Numbers (London: The Bridge Street Press, 2021), 56.

Adam Cheney

I grew up in California, spent five years living along the beautiful coast of Kenya and now find myself working with refugees in the snow crusted tundra of Minnesota. My wife and I have seven children, four of whom have been adopted. I spend my time drinking lots of coffee, working in my garden, and baking sourdough bread.

8 responses to “I’ll Just Keep Telling Their Stories”

1. mm Glyn Barrett says:

Thanks for your blog Adam. Are there strategies you employ to ensure that your message resonates with both those who might be swayed more by data and those more affected by emotional narratives, especially in environments that may initially be resistant or sceptical to the topic of immigration?

• Adam Cheney says:

Glyn,
      I do have some strategies for it. For example, when presenting something I do have some charts, with numbers, etc. Yet ,I don’t dwell on the numbers but rather tell a story around the numbers so that they make a bit more sense.

2. Jeff Styer says:

Adam,
    Thanks I knew some of the numbers because I teach immigration in my cultural and human diversity class. Of course, those allowed in to the US and those who are actually processed is a completely different number. I met a pastor who is also a Lost Boy. Not sure if you have seen the movie , It’s about the Lost Boys of Sudan. The movie points out that some of those Lost Boys made it to Ethiopia, only to be turned away and had to make their way to Kenya. I met the Pastor in a small town in the Northern Panhandle of Texas, called Cactus. There are around 3000 residents that live in the town, probably only one or two are White. Everyone else is/was an immigrant or refugee. The police in the town have a great attitude We don’t care if people here are documented or undocumented as long as they are not causing trouble. If they cause trouble, we let the county sheriff decide what to do with their immigration status. Knowing you are working with the Somalian population, what is the most common thing people get wrong about Somalians, and are people receptive to thinking differently?

• Adam Cheney says:

Jeff,
      People are commonly wrong about many things regarding the Somali population. There is often a misconception about them being terrorists, etc. This is overwhelmingly not true. The vast majority are here simply to raise their kids well, have a good job and live peacefully. The challenge is that there have been a few Somalis from our city arrested in connection with terrorism charges over the last few years. This has certainly not helped the perceptions. Regarding the church community, I see little hope for people changing perceptions but that is not stopping my NPO from moving forward.

3. Christy Liner says:

Hi Adam, thanks for your post. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of refugees. We have the ones I have gotten to know are incredibly hospitable and kind. Their stories of becoming a refugee are heartbreaking.

I love statistics and numbers, but also love personal connection – you can’t boil down a person to a number.

As you have grown in your understanding and relationships with refugees, what are some biases you had wrong that have now changed?

• Adam Cheney says:

Christy,
      I think that biggest lesson I have learned is that many people are not super happy to be here. The reality is that they didn’t want to leave their homes and they are not super excited to be in a country that doesn’t really always want them. This was especially true for some Syrians friends who left a great life in Syria before coming to the US.

4. mm Chris Blackman says:

Guilty as charged!! Fantastic analogy and wonderful lesson. It points out everything that Duffys book is about. We remember the things that we choose to, or that tickle our ears. Don’t bother me with the details.
    No questions for you, just a bravo!!

5. Elysse Burns says:

Hi Adam, I greatly appreciate this post. Firstly, thank you for sharing the stories of refugees and immigrants with the church. Secondly, thank you for not being afraid to ruffle some feathers. I believe it is good for the church to experience some cognitive dissonance.
    I can imagine you have received some maddening responses from people. This week I was reminded of the importance of ‘checking’ our emotions and challenging the thought. What has kept you encouraged and not triangled in emotional triangles when you present accurate data and stories, but receive little response?