If It Were Only That Simple!

Summary

There was a time when people stated that the world “is becoming” more and more global. We may be at a point and time where that is no longer the case; in many ways, we now live in a global world. And yet, culture is still culture, and geopolitical lines are still hard lines in the sand. We are individually and culturally unique and that is a good thing because the uniquenesses can be leveraged to create, to solve and to grow.

In this light, cultural intelligence is an important concept for our global world and being able to function across cultures is possibly more important than every before. This is where Livermore enters the picture with Leading with Cultural Intelligence. According to Livermore, cultural intelligence (CQ) is the level of ability to function within and across various cultures, including organizational cultures. 1 To address this topic, he presents a four-step cycle that, “you can run through every time you jump into a new cross-cultural situation.”2

The first part of the cycle is “drive.” CQ Drive is the level of motivation, interest and even confidence in yourself to tackle the job of working across culture. Second, is “knowledge;” CQ Knowledge is the knowledge and understanding of the various components of culture, including politics, religion, worldview, cultural norms, values etc. Third, is “strategy;” CQ Strategy is the ability to use the CQ Knowledge component to develop successful strategies applicable to the present cultural context. The final component of the cycle is “action.” CQ Action includes the ability to be flexible in cross-cultural settings. Drive, knowledge, the ability to strategize and be flexible make up the skill set necessary to function successfully across cultures and constitute “The New Secret to Success.”

Application

If it were only that simple! We would err on the side of reductionism if we think that someone who simply runs through a four-step cycle would be able to function or even communicate effectively across cultures. To begin, allow me this digression. In the introduction, Livermore highlights the statistic that “70 percent of international ventures continue to fail because of cultural differences.”3  This may be the case; however, another valid statistic states that 96 percent of start-up businesses in the USA fail in the first 10 years. In this context, 70 percent is pretty good. In fact, the international ventures are quite successful already, ostensibly without having been aware of the four-step cycle. The bigger question is what caused those failures? Some would say, overconfidence, often referred to as arrogance. 4 When working across cultures, attitude is everything.

Why isn’t it so simple? First, simply calling up a set of skills when you enter a culture, and being able to synthesize and then leverage those skills into sustainable action are two completely different things. It’s not unlike trusting a practicing physician who had no residency: the intelligence, knowledge, and skill are there, but practice is a whole different thing. In fact, it has been my experience that those who actually do have the knowledge and skill and are not shy about letting everyone know, but cannot synthesize the knowledge and skill into practice are often the ones who cause the greatest damage. It costs to be able to function in another culture. It takes time and a lot of effort. Those who do have a set of skills but are not willing pay the price of presence, time and effort, invariably rely excessively on others to do the heavy lifting—usually on those who are a part of the culture itself or on those who have paid the price and are already enculturated. They claim success but is seems that it may be based on something other than “their” CQ.

Second, every set of skills, every business plan, every church planting plan or ministry strategy carries within the originator’s culture–the four CQs included. Though the steps have been applied across cultures and in various setting, I am not convinced it is “The new secret to success.” People have been succeeding across cultures for many years. It seems that the author’s own culture may be bubbling forth in all of its hyperbolic splendor.

Finally, I agree that a skill set is important and the CQ skills are helpful if not necessary. However, more important than the skill set is the person. I would argue that arrogance is the greatest hindrance to success in cross-cultural settings. Sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and listen, watch and learn, practice and start all over again. It’s not a straight line thing where we check off the skill set boxes, enter the culture and off we go. The person who has an attitude that says “teach me” and not “look what I can teach you” are the ones who make the greatest impact. Lingenfelter and Mayers call it the “Incarnational attitude” 3  It is an attitude that exemplifies an adult who is willing, for the moment, to be like a child in order to make a long-lasting and sustainable impact. Attitude is not something you learn it is something you choose. I agree cultural intelligence is important in today’s global world. The four CQs can assist. However, I would argue that the most important attribute of cultural intelligence is a humble attitude.

1. David Livermore, Leading With Cultural Intelligence: The New Secret to Success. 9.1.2009 ed. AMACOM, 2009, 4.
  2. Ibid., 3.
  3. Ibid., xiv.
  4. Bill Carmody. “Why 96 Percent of Businesses Fail Within 10 Years.” https://www.inc.com/bill-carmody/why-96-of-businesses-fail-within-10-years.html (accessed May 25, 2017).
  5. Sherwood G. Lingenfelter, and Marvin K. Mayers. Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1992, 50.

Jim Sabella

14 responses to “If It Were Only That Simple!”

1. Geoff Lee says:

“I would argue that arrogance is the greatest hindrance to success in cross-cultural settings. Sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and listen, watch and learn, practice and start all over again.”
    Jim, what a GREAT post – really liked it and agreed with you. I love your final emphasis on humility and be willing to watch and learn, and your kickback against the oversimplified “4 steps to success” approach!
    As someone who has worked across many cultures, I thing you write with great CQ!

2. Geoff Lee says:

*think

3. Mary says:

“We are individually and culturally unique and that is a good thing because the uniquenesses can be leveraged to create, to solve and to grow.” Jim, I would also like to add that it is what makes the world so interesting!
    Arrogance is a great hindrance. Why do we have that? I guess it’s normal for all to think that their way is best, but I actually love learning about other ways to do things and I think that that dimension is another one that can be explored. Jen also added the “EQ” dimension. Both things are deficiencies in the book, but maybe we can look at the book as a place to start. Plenty to think about as we look forward to South Africa.
    Very insightful post, thank you.

4. Jim,
    A good summary as always and a great reminder that as good a tool as the process that Livermore provides is, there is always more to it than that.
    A wonderful point that it is the person, and not the skills the person possesses that is ultimately the most important.
    Thanks for that!

5. Kristin Hamilton says:

I agree with much of what you say here Jim, especially the part about arrogance. You said, “in fact, the international ventures are quite successful already, ostensibly without having been aware of the four-step cycle.” When Katy and I were in Israel, we were told that Israel is the only country in the entire world where Starbucks has failed and pulled out of the country. Why? Arrogance. Instead of listening to people who tried to tell them they would have to adjust their model, they relied on the fact that it worked “everywhere” else. Epic. Fail.

• Jim Sabella says:

When it comes to culture the “if it works here it will work there,” very seldom works. There must be a give and take–a dance to make it work. Even something that works on the east coast of the USA might not work in the midwest or west coast. They are different cultures. When I talk to people in the eastern part of Europe they tell me they go to Starbucks because they say it’s and “American” coffee experience. An expensive one, but an American experience nonetheless.

6. Jennifer Dean-Hill says:

So good Jim. Great point about attitude being everything in developing CQ. Hey, what about writing a book on developing your CQ with attitude? Sounds like a good title. I can’t think of anyone more qualified to speak to cultures than you. Agreed-humility is key to developing CQ and integrating successfully into another culture. I can see why you would be successful at your work. Informative and enjoyable post.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Jen. I don’t see that book in my future, but I can say that I have seen people who were told by the experts that they would not make it in another culture, do very well. In fact, outdo those who “have what it takes.” The one thing that made the difference, a humble attitude.

7. Lynda Gittens says:

Jim thanks for integrating your experience with the viewpoints of the author.
    Your points on arrogance and humility are truth. I remember a preacher saying:
    humility brings humbleness

8. Katy Drage Lines says:

“I am not convinced it is “The new secret to success.” People have been succeeding across cultures for many years. It seems that the author’s own culture may be bubbling forth in all of its hyperbolic splendor.”

Jim, as a fellow former ex-pat, I fully affirm your reflections here. I felt that, as I read this text, he was stating the obvious (as Geoff also mentions in his post) for someone who has worked cross culturally. And that it comes down to attitude and posture.