Identity Theft Can Lead to a Loss of Dignity

The spring of 1978 my 6th grade class was preparing for graduation by rehearsing the song, “The Greatest Love of All”1 Every time we sang it, there was one line we nearly screamed at the top of our lungs, “No matter what they take from me. They can’t take away my dignity” This was because our 62-year-old teacher, Mrs. Geraldine Allen told us many stories about racism and that being black is a beautiful thing. The story that many of us remember with heartache is when Mrs. Allen quietly but boldly told us how Thomas Jefferson raped his 14-year-old slave, Sally Hemings and she actually gave birth to 6 of his children. This was quite disturbing for 12-year-old students but our parents were grateful Mrs. Allen educated us. No wonder she chose that song for our graduation. She, like many African Americans suffered a great loss of dignity due to the fact of a loss of identity.

Speaking of identity, identify theft is so emotionally and mentally paralyzing. When a stranger has all your personal information, steals your money, closes accounts, leaves you with credit card and consumer debt, and then destroys your online reputation with the IRS, banks, and other creditors. Having your identity actually stolen or taken away from you feels like emotional rape. Once your identity is gone, losing your dignity is not far behind.

This is why reading Francis Fukuyama’s Identity: “The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment,” was so eye opening and affirming for me. “A humiliated group seeking restitution of its dignity carries far more emotional weight than people simply pursuing their economic advantage.”2 Fukuyama (I love that name) demonstrated how the French Revolution, the Arab Spring, the South African transition from apartheid, the Revolution of Dignity, the American Civil Rights Movement, and so many others were all based upon people’s identity being stolen or taken away, which led to a loss in dignity. An important point Fukuyama brings out throughout his work is resentment is the result of indignities. People naturally become indignant, angry, or resentful when they are intentionally treated with disrespect. “Because human beings naturally crave recognition, the modern sense of identity evolves quickly into identity politics, in which individuals demand public recognition of their worth.”3

Mrs. Allen may not have known much about identity politics, but she was right on in regard to helping her students understand their identity is tied to their dignity. Thus, she demanded her students learn this new hit song that spoke so well to uplifting people who were marginalized and disrespected due to their race.

To help bring this home Fukuyama brought out 3 important concepts:

1. Thymos – the human desire for recognition, which is universal because we all have a desire for respect.
2. Isothymia – to be seen as just as good as everyone else. To be recognized as equal in dignity to others.
3. Megalothymia – recognition as superior4

As I look back 45 years ago, I can see how Mrs. Allen understood all three concepts and wanted to make sure we did not feel inferior to anyone. As I read this book, I thought about my clients. They have been severely abused in unimaginable ways and they come in with no identity or dignity…no “voice.” It has been stolen by their abuser/perpetrator and they long to be seen, heard, recognized. They want what they never had but deserve…dignity.

This is why I agree with Fukuyama as he explores the concept of identity and its role in contemporary society. He examines how identity has become increasingly prominent in recent years. He argues that the politics of identity, where groups demand recognition and respect for their particular identity, has taken precedence over traditional economic or ideological politics. “Identity politics is everywhere a struggle for the recognition of dignity.”5 Everywhere means everywhere- Ireland, Jamaica, Sudan, Guatemala, Washington D.C., Oxford, Aruba, and so on. It’s everywhere because identity politics “is a natural and inevitable response to injustice.”6 This is why chapter eleven is about the powerful social movements that took place in the 1960’s. There were many injustices and usually when there is an injustice, the Church is nowhere to be found.

Finally, Fukuyama believes each country needs to work toward a national identity. “National identity begins with a shared belief in the legitimacy of the country’s political system, whether that system is democratic or not.”7 Even though national identity extends into the culture and values, it is also embodied in the formal laws institutions that dictate what the educational system will teach children about the country’s past, present, and future. This makes national identity in the United States quite challenging to achieve. This is why many people groups will always be screaming at the top of their lungs, “No matter what they take from me. They can’t take away my dignity!”8

1. “The Greatest Love of All” written by Linda Creed. 1977.
2. Fukuyama, Francis. Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2018. 7.
3. Ibid. 10.
4. Ibid. 81.
5. Ibid. 103.
6. Ibid. 115.
7. Ibid. 126.
8. “The Greatest Love of All” written by Linda Creed. 1977.

Todd E Henley

Todd is an avid cyclist who loves playing frisbee golf, watching NASCAR, making videos, photography, playing Madden football, and watching sport. He is addicted to reading, eating fruits and vegetables, and drinking H2O. His passion is talking about trauma, epigenetics, chromosomes, and the brain. He has been blessed with a sensationally sweet wife and four fun creative children (one of which resides in heaven). In his free time he teaches at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary and is the Founder/Executive Director of Restore Counseling Center.

7 responses to “Identity Theft Can Lead to a Loss of Dignity”

Todd, this was a POWERFUL post. Thank you.

You said what I have been trying to articulate but haven’t been able to get organized and clear in my own mind.

“Even though national identity extends into the culture and values, it is also embodied in the formal laws institutions that dictate what the educational system will teach children about the country’s past, present, and future. This makes national identity in the United States quite challenging to achieve. This is why many people groups will always be screaming at the top of their lungs, “No matter what they take from me. They can’t take away my dignity!” I think until we can admit to the awful ways we have treated people, (this means teaching our children about it!), repent, and be transformed we cannot heal!

Todd, thank you for your important and powerful post. I will re-read again and again to keep me thinking.

• Pastor Kally, I am truly humbled by your words of encouragement…and I must say, grace! Thank you! I definitely agree with you that it is important to admit to the awful ways we have treated people. So an important question is are we humble enough to have the vulnerability to go deep within ourselves to ask, “In what ways have people been treated that I have intentionally or unintentionally ignored simply because those people don’t fit into my political or evangelical viewpoint. And how has my stubbornness hurt them and/or community.” Thanks for bringing this up young lady!

“National identity begins with a shared belief in the legitimacy of the country’s political system, whether that system is democratic or not.”

I think this is one of Fukuyama’s strongest suggestions to bring unity for nations. For example, if all sides political sides would truly commit to a set of values that worked toward the common good and honored the other side what kind nation would we have? Sounds like a utopian dream. That is above my pay grade for the country at this point, BUT we can work for that in our places of practice, churches, and businesses!

How have you seen some of these values play out in your local areas Todd?

• Hey my brother. My local community is trying hard to work toward unity. Key church leaders are meeting twice a month to work toward unity and understanding one another’s culture, but the emphasis is spiritual unity and not much talk about political unity. As we get to know one another it’s a breath of fresh air but I seriously doubt we will get real far or real deep…but I would to be proven wrong.

• Adam Harris says:

Love to hear that! Always open to see what is working in people’s areas. We are attempting the same in our neck of the woods, we would love to do better to bridge the divide between many of the Evangelicals and post Evangelicals in our regions.

3. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Todd! Thank you for your insightful story!
    I sincerely appreciate your post that delves into your personal story and the struggles of people of color in their pursuit of dignity and equality alongside all individuals. Fukuyama’s writings, particularly his exploration of national identity have been a great source of inspiration. Building upon his ideas, I would like to extend the notion beyond national identity and propose the concept of global identity. From my perspective, national identity, while significant, may foster sentiments of superiority. Superiority among nations, while diminishing the world of others. Global identity, on the other hand, signifies that all individuals on this planet, irrespective of their origins, share equal dignity. This fosters an environment where life is lived with mutual respect, love, and empowerment of one another.